Bean Flicker - Odd Side Ales

Bean FlickerBean Flicker

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  4.50% ABV

A light coffee note with gentle grains.

(Beer added by: TheBrewo on 08-02-2013)
superspak

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass; no bottle dating, but was released recently. Pours lightly hazy and cloudy golden amber color with a 2 finger foamy and rocky white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings down the glass, with a lot of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of big nutty coffee, vanilla, cream, light bread, floral, and light grass. Awesome aromas with big presence of coffee and malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of big nutty coffee, cream, vanilla, bread, floral, and light grass. Light coffee bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of nutty coffee, vanilla, cream, light bread, grass, and floral earthiness on the finish for a bit. Awesome robustness of coffee/cream flavor with a fair amount of malt balance; and zero cloying flavors after the finish. High carbonation and medium bodied; with a very smooth, crisp, and lightly prickly mouthfeel that is great. Hardly any alcohol presence after the finish as expected for 4.5%. Overall this is an outstanding coffee blonde ale. Great robustness of authentic coffee/cream flavor; and extremely smooth and crisp to drink. A highly enjoyable offering.

09-07-2013 05:07:57 | More by superspak
guytyping

09-07-2013 00:19:52 | More by guytyping
Goblinmunkey7

2.84/5  rDev -26.4%

Thanks to JAS45678 for the bottle.

Appearance: Absolutely clear dark straw/light gold. Head is clumpy and white, dropping to a small collar in short order. Minimal carbonation on the pour.

Smell: Boom, coffee beans. Sweet milk chocolate and roast. Vaguely nutty, almost like hazelnut coffee with too much cream and sugar. Malts are incredibly light, offering up a touch of clean roasted sweetness. No hop profile to speak of. Milky sweet.

Taste: A bit biscuit under everything. Light snappy malts with a slight roasted element. Fresh coffee bean with a light cocoa bean finish. Milky sweetness with an otherwise light flavor. A slightly sharp bite on the back, something like a coffee with high acidity. Clean crisp roasted bean. Vague fruitiness.Warming produces a slightly oxidized and harsh coffee bean.

Mouthfeel: Light body with a high, but not bubbly, carbonation. Clean and crisp.

Overall: I won't be lighting any candles and getting to know myself.

An interesting use of coffee with a nice light body. Could be a highly quaffable beer, but it falls apart as it warms and it feels a bit mismatched. Carbonation doesn't help either.

09-04-2013 23:55:25 | More by Goblinmunkey7
hooliganlife

Missouri

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

pours golden yellow with thin fizzy white head. great retention

this weird blend of coffee, chocolate, truffles, candy, it is hard to explain, but interesting and very aromatic

taste is similar to nose however heavier on the coffee for sure. some light chocolate notes. if you could not see this, you would never know it was a blonde.

bright body, moderate carbonation.

this is interesting, not something i would want many of in a row but here and there it is good.

08-31-2013 00:53:53 | More by hooliganlife

JoshuaWagy

08-20-2013 18:31:52 | More by JoshuaWagy
king75

4.81/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance- clear effervescent gold, with a soapy looking head that quickly dissipates with little to no lacing. It honestly has the look of an adjunct lager nothing remotely impressive in the appearance.

Smell- I am picking up the fragrance if a fresh brewed hazelnut coffee, nodes of vanilla, cream and sugary bready sweetness, and a light grassiness of morning dew.

Taste/mouthfeel- WOW! Just Wow! This is the most flavorful light beer that I have ever had. Starts out with a creamy hazelnut and vanilla flavor that then shifts to a flavor of fresh brewed coffee. Has a light bready malt quality in the finish. The body of this one is light without ever becoming watery. The mouthfeel and after taste are phenomenal leaving a flavor of having just finished a fresh cup of hazlenut or french press coffee.

Overall- I have had this beer several times now. Twice on tap and have purchase three six packs of it. This is my favorite sessionable beer at only 4.5% ABV I could drink this beer all day. If it proves to be available year round I have a new go to beer. I hate blonde ales because they usually lack flavor and complexity but this one has me wanting to revisit the style. Love Odd Side's brews highly recommend this beer!

08-20-2013 13:36:19 | More by king75

TypsiYpsi

08-14-2013 03:27:29 | More by TypsiYpsi
Alextricity

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

$2.19 single bought at Fairway Sav-More in Eastpointe, Michigan. I knew this had recently been released in bottles, and I pretty much have to get my hands on anything Odd Side puts out... I love their stuff.

Appearance: The name of the beer is obviously referring to... well... Google it. Bean Flicker is a super pale yellow color, which I'd expect for the style. A few floaters and a couple pieces of sediment. Three finger, soapy-ish head dies to one and sticks around for quite awhile. There's really no lacing. Really looks like piss, but who cares?

Smell: Welp, coffee. Malts. Kind of also smells like some sort of fresh baked something or other that I can't put my finger on... coffee cake? Smells very good.

Taste/feel: Here we go again, Odd Side impresses me. Again. Really liking how this drinks... it's about what I expected. It's a blonde ale with coffee in it. What do you want me to say? The flavor of this is actually a bit more than I thought to expect, but that's fine by me. If that's not enough, there's a solid feel to this as well. The coffee flavor manages to stick to your tongue for awhile after you sip, which I enjoy a lot -- ya don't need a dark beer to get a coffee fix in your beer, and this blonde ale proves that. A 4.5% beer with a nice body? Surprisingly bold flavor? Count me in. Odd Side just doesn't disappoint... worth the slight up-charge.

08-12-2013 00:08:00 | More by Alextricity

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

08-11-2013 02:12:55 | More by Slay40
jbck109

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: I love the bottle design, very creative and beautiful artwork, there is also a bit of mild sexual innuendo that made me laugh, a nice touch. Pours a slightly copper- golden color with a solid two- finger head that sticks around for a while, with moderate lacing.

Smell: Strong smell of medium roast coffee and some vanilla, a bit sweet, but not cloying, along with a very slight bit of bready malt. Aroma is nice and can be smelled from a distance.

Taste: I get a strong vanilla and coffee taste, like a vanilla latte up front, then a bit of grassy hops and light malt. This beer is very smooth and easy to drink, my wife also loves this one, and she is not a beer drinker.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, but with a slight slickness. This beer goes down easily.

Overall: I really like this beer, and will drink many with my wife. It is nice to have something we both enjoy! It is an interesting take on a blonde ale, different from anything I have had. I love coffee stouts, but this is the first light style I have had. I recommend this for every one looking for something session able, flavorful and different!

08-11-2013 01:17:47 | More by jbck109
StoutHunter

4.24/5  rDev +9.8%

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ale's Bean Flicker a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. A Blonde Ale brewed with coffee had me intrigued and with my track record with this brewery I knew I had to give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh since it was just released. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is really good looking, the colors and design are very eye catching and it really sticks out on the shelf. It poured a nice looking golden yellow color that took on more of a darker golden/amber color with two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some decent lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, it's right on par for how a Blonde Ale should look.

S- The aroma starts of with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a lots of coffee aromas that have a nice fresh coffee, espresso and java like aroma that reminds me of a coffee that I could order at starbucks. Up next comes some hops that impart a light citrus and fruity aroma that blends surprisingly well with the coffee and is followed by some pale, bready and grainy malt aromas with some doughy yeast in the background. This beer had a very good aroma, the coffee works surprisingly well with the Blonde Ale base.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a some pale and bready malts with a really light amount of hops and it quickly gives way to lots of coffee which impart some java, espresso, and vanilla like flavors that remind me of Atwater's Vanilla Java Porter. On the finish there's a pretty low amount of bitterness with just a little bit of sweetness taking it's place and it had a coffee dominated aftertaste with some bready malts showing up a little in the background. I really liked the flavor of this beer, the coffee was showcased nicely and just enough Blonde Ale flavors came through,

M- Very smooth, clean, very crisp, a little dry, one the light side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The beer had a pretty good mouthfeel that worked very nicely with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought it was a great example of a coffee infused beer that didn't have a dark beer base, it showed me that while the dark beer base can meld well with the coffee flavors it isn't always a necessary and that coffee has the potential to work with the other styles that I never would have thought would have turned out to be good. This beer has very good drinkability, it's smooth, crisp, not filling, and the flavors did a good job of holding my attention and keeping me coming back for more, it wouldn't be a stretch from me to drink more than a few bottles of this since that taste really doesn't wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was just about everything, all aspects of this beer were right where they needed to be to live up to it's name. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't a single thing that I didn't like or would change about this beer, it's great just the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again, in fact I already went back and got a six pack and I see a few more in my future and it just my be a new regular in my beer fridge, I would recommend this to anyone who likes coffee infused beer. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I have been pretty impressed with Oddsides but I wasn't sure that they could pull of a Coffee Blonde Ale, but they did it in a way that truly impressed me. It really messed with my head at first because it looks exactly like a normal Blonde Ale, but the taste is anything but normal. Great job Oddsides, you guys are making some great beer and I have no problem claiming that their one of my favorite up in coming brewery's. keep up the great work guys.

08-10-2013 21:27:51 | More by StoutHunter