Bean Flicker - Odd Side Ales

Bean FlickerBean Flicker

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  4.50% ABV

A light coffee note with gentle grains.

(Beer added by: TheBrewo on 08-02-2013)
AirborneBeer

dbc5

08-06-2013 01:06:25 | More by dbc5
StoutHunter

4.24/5  rDev +9.8%

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ale's Bean Flicker a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. A Blonde Ale brewed with coffee had me intrigued and with my track record with this brewery I knew I had to give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh since it was just released. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is really good looking, the colors and design are very eye catching and it really sticks out on the shelf. It poured a nice looking golden yellow color that took on more of a darker golden/amber color with two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some decent lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, it's right on par for how a Blonde Ale should look.

S- The aroma starts of with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a lots of coffee aromas that have a nice fresh coffee, espresso and java like aroma that reminds me of a coffee that I could order at starbucks. Up next comes some hops that impart a light citrus and fruity aroma that blends surprisingly well with the coffee and is followed by some pale, bready and grainy malt aromas with some doughy yeast in the background. This beer had a very good aroma, the coffee works surprisingly well with the Blonde Ale base.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a some pale and bready malts with a really light amount of hops and it quickly gives way to lots of coffee which impart some java, espresso, and vanilla like flavors that remind me of Atwater's Vanilla Java Porter. On the finish there's a pretty low amount of bitterness with just a little bit of sweetness taking it's place and it had a coffee dominated aftertaste with some bready malts showing up a little in the background. I really liked the flavor of this beer, the coffee was showcased nicely and just enough Blonde Ale flavors came through,

M- Very smooth, clean, very crisp, a little dry, one the light side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The beer had a pretty good mouthfeel that worked very nicely with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought it was a great example of a coffee infused beer that didn't have a dark beer base, it showed me that while the dark beer base can meld well with the coffee flavors it isn't always a necessary and that coffee has the potential to work with the other styles that I never would have thought would have turned out to be good. This beer has very good drinkability, it's smooth, crisp, not filling, and the flavors did a good job of holding my attention and keeping me coming back for more, it wouldn't be a stretch from me to drink more than a few bottles of this since that taste really doesn't wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was just about everything, all aspects of this beer were right where they needed to be to live up to it's name. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't a single thing that I didn't like or would change about this beer, it's great just the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again, in fact I already went back and got a six pack and I see a few more in my future and it just my be a new regular in my beer fridge, I would recommend this to anyone who likes coffee infused beer. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I have been pretty impressed with Oddsides but I wasn't sure that they could pull of a Coffee Blonde Ale, but they did it in a way that truly impressed me. It really messed with my head at first because it looks exactly like a normal Blonde Ale, but the taste is anything but normal. Great job Oddsides, you guys are making some great beer and I have no problem claiming that their one of my favorite up in coming brewery's. keep up the great work guys.

08-10-2013 21:27:51 | More by StoutHunter
Maven

4.11/5  rDev +6.5%

A- Crisp white medium head. Crystal pumpkin colored appearance.

S- Coffee, tobacco, perfume-like? Reminds me of a small book store. Getting really weird perceptions on this.

T- Coffee bean char without tannins or astringency. What I assume cold brew or kopi luwak would taste. Major flavor over central and rear palate. Great round sweetness rolls with the coffee flavor. I can taste some green coffee bean also. Something minorly off putting, cannot pick it out.

M- Taste begins after carbonation subsides.

O- Great beer. Unique aroma i'm getting, very difficult to describe. No astringency, amazing coffee. Weird vegetal flavor, green coffee beans? Definitely a must try, even if you don't like coffee and the usual espresso stouts.

11-28-2013 05:13:08 | More by Maven