Wheatermelon - Odd Side Ales

to view more.
Ratings: 25 | Reviews: 6
Reviews by craft_shannie:
2.48/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

On tap, Michigan Summer Beerfest 2013. The only other watermelon wheat beer I can recall having is Hell or High Watermelon, and I wasn't the biggest fan. Figured I better give this one a go, to see if there's any redemption for the style. Hazy orange with copper-ish tints, translucent enough to let a bunch of light through. The white heat settles neatly at a few millimeters; it's foamy and shows pretty decent retention throughout.

Hmmm... I'm not sure this is even a beer. VERY light aroma... nearly no smell at all. It takes several, successive, huge whiffs to finally be able to pick up on anything. Faint grass, some soft wheat, and a mild vegetal smell. I wouldn't call it watermelon. Not at all. Just a mild, strange, vegetable-ish and leafy kind of thing. That said, the aroma is still incredibly vapid and almost nonexistent. I understand it's a lighter beer, but... come on.

The flavor doesn't pick up much slack from the aroma, unfortunately. More vagueness with each sip. Mild yeast, mild wheat, maybe the faintest mention of musty hops and citrus zest. But then again, maybe not. No watermelon. None. Really, even the mild vegetal character in the aroma doesn't show up on the palate. But there's not a mention of watermelon here. Thin bodied, crispy with tight carbonation and a watery, slick mouth feel.

Disappointed to say the least. I didn't much care for the taste of Hell or High Watermelon, but at least it kind of had some watermelon taste to it. This had none. None at all. And in turn, it ends up just being a mediocre wheat beer. It's just so underpowered and ghostly. It's hard to really believe this is a beer in my cup. I don't want to completely slam the ratings, as it's still not offensive or off-putting, but that's really only because it lacks substance. Pass on this one.

3.33/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Oddside's Wheatermelon a few days ago for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. I haven't tried too many Watermelon beers and I'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice and it goes well with the name. It poured a hazy and slightly pale golden color that took on more of a orange golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left just a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish the lacing was a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the wheat beer base being the first to show up and it imparts the some typical wheat, bready and grainy aroma with that signature Witbier yeast showing up in the back ground with some orange rind and coriander aromas coming through. Up next comes the watermelon and it's really light, but it does have a natural watermelon aspect to it. This beer had a decent aroma, but I wish the watermelon was more than just barely noticeable.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the witbier base being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma with the yeast also impart the same aspects that it did in the aroma to make for a nice Witbier base. Towards the end comes the watermelon which is still a little on the lighter side, but it's much more noticeable than it was in the aroma and it still retains that natural Watermelon aspect and it lingers into the aftertaste with no bitterness and some Witbier flavors. This is a decent tasting beer, the base is nice, but i wish the Watermelon showed up more and was brighter.

M- Smooth, fairly clean, little crisp, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was a decent example of a watermelon beer, I thought the Witbier base was nice and true to style, but it came to the watermelon aspect it left me wanting more. This beer has a decent drinkability, it went down easy, but the flavors don't do the best job at holding my attention. What I like the most about this beer is the Witbier base, it's nice and true to style. What I like the least about this beer is that the watermelon aspect isn't brighter and bolder. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but i wouldn't turn one down and I can't say I would highly recommend it, but it may be worth a try if it sounds interesting to you. All in all I thought this beer was Ok, but I didn't love it, I may have rated it a little higher, but not too long ago I hard Kuhnhenn's Watermelon Wit and I enjoyed that one much more and it seemed to have all the aspects that were missing from this beer. It's not a favorite Oddsides beer and i would say it's pretty close to average for the style. I appreciate the effort, but this one could use a little more work.

3.08/5  rDev -7.2%

Hazy straw yellow with a thin white head. Smells of wheat, watermelon, spice, tiny bit of clove, and yeast. Taste is artificial watermelon, with a yeasty wheat beer base. Not a lot of complexity, okay amount of crispness, light to moderate mouth feel. A bit watery and sweet.

3.44/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Given a bottle to try at a friends backyard party, lots of local Michigan brews being passed around that evening. Had this one straight from the bottle.
Aroma from the bottle came as the usual wheat aromas with some sweet watermelon. Somewhat subtle at first, becoming more pronounced as warmed.
Taste follows, if wheats are your thing, this isn't going to blow you away but it hits the appropriate notes. The watermelon gives it an edge as a summer-time drink.
Not something I'd seek out but not something I'm turning down if offered, I'd really be curious to have it on tap.

3.06/5  rDev -7.8%

Pretty plain Jane. Hazy color, pours with a little head that mostly dissipates quickly. Very strong wheat smell. No smell of hops or melon.

Crisp clean taste with subtle watermelon on the finish. A little too light for me.

I understand the reasoning though keeping it low abv. Probably a good all day beach beer, not a end of a hard day work beer.

3.48/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Some watermelon flavor but just did not blend well with the wheat base. Hard to finish. Would not recommend.

to view more.