India Pale Ale - Bridge Brew Works LLC

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

Bridge Brew Works LLC visit their website
West Virginia, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.50% ABV

A deep amber colored ale with a noticeable hop aroma. All of the flavors and aromas of a highly hopped beer are balanced with a combination of several quality barley malts to prove a surprisingly drinkable 7.47% ABV beer. At BBW we believe that an IPA should have a good malt character to sing along with the abundance of bittering and flavor hops used.

(Beer added by: JamesS on 04-23-2010)
Reviews by ahatcher78:
3.98/5  rDev +5%

Capped 750 poured into my CCB goblet. Big thanks to my sister for sending down this home state goodness. First WV 750???

Appearance: Amber with hints of red chased down by a tacky finger of off white head

Smell: a little heavy with the malt. Hops are present,but not you can tell it's not the west coast deal

Taste: sweet malty backbone. maybe a little unbalanced to the malt side. nice though. bready

Mouthfeel:sort of in the middle ground with me. almost under carbonated. almost reminded me of an old ale without the abv.

Drinkability: Very nice. had to search to see what the abv was. wish the carbonation was a bit more. for me the distributor has the price sort of restrictive. $11 for a 750 of a 7.5% IPA is a little high. With that said WV is moving on up.
Good work guys!

ahatcher78, Mar 17, 2011

williamjbauer, May 13, 2013
3.79/5  rDev 0%

I'm glad something good is being bottled in WV. This is bottle #2 from Danny; cheers.

This brew is a thick and quite dark brown-red-orange sort of color, almost like bronze that's sometimes, but not often, polished. The sandy-colored head is a solid one just over one finger tall with good retention and patching.
I don't know if it's truly English, though it does have more balance off earthier, leafier and just generally dry hops. The finish offers more than hints of citrus with a little mint, so I don't know if it's hybridized or what. Malts offer caramel with maybe a ghost of toffee and some breads. A little pine is there, too, and into the finish.
Though on the dry side, this beer runs smooth off moderate carbonation and a crisp nip. It never goes too chalky, though it shows leanings. The finish lingers pretty long.

Brenden, Jun 10, 2014

Got this one from my cousin Nate for Christmas, nice to see he is bottling now. Poured from a 750ml brown bottle that was corked and caged into a tasting glass.

A- This beer pours a dark hazy amber color with a fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed the rest of the time.

S- The aroma is dominated by pine resin with a nice mix of earthy and citrus hops and u can pick up the caramel malt backbone of this brew.

T- The taste starts of pretty piney, much like the aroma. Once the pine taste shows up its followed by some nice citrus hops that leave a nice bitter aftertaste that works good with the malts used in this beer. This IPA is balanced very well.

M- Medium bodied with descent carbonation.

D- This IPA is pretty drinkable, if I wasn't splitting this with my brother I would have no problem drinking the whole bottle. The alcohol is hidden very nicely.

Overall I thought this was a very good IPA. I tend to like my IPA's balanced and not too overboard on the hops and this brew fit the bill. I hope I can get my hands on this one again. Keep on making kick ass brews Nate.

StoutHunter, Jan 06, 2011

Zanico, Jun 29, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

TaylorK, Oct 14, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -9%

Bottle courtesy of jschonert, much appreciated!

P - darkest ipa iv'e ever pourn. Murky swamp mud brown. Hazy. Off white head a little less than a finger.

S - Earthy, malty, slight sweet hop.

T - First thing I get here is a huge roasted nut taste. Very strong IMO. Sweet malts, finishing with a nice light hop bite. Pretty good, but not what I expected for this style. Reminds me more of a hoppier brown ale than anything else.

M - medium mouthful, light carbonation. Dry and not too great aftertaste. It's okay.

O - Glad I got to try it, but not a big fan.

TomTwanks, Feb 04, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: clear amber in color with a big fluffy 2" head. Moderate lace paints the glass during the session.

Smell: soft pine, earthiness, and caramel are easily detectable.

Taste: caramel, mild pine, earthiness, fruit sweetness, a hint of alcohol, and a softly biting bitterness create a flavorful beer.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Mildly crisp to start, smooth and a bit dry at the finish. Long aftertaste here.

Drinkability: this beer went down quickly despite the higher ABV and was a bit refreshing. Definitely worthy of a try.

Gavage, Aug 24, 2010

on tap at Pies n Pints. I wanted a hefeweizen but they'd ran out about a day earlier. Damn. So I "settled" for this. Dark dark amber pour, wildly outside of BJCP Standards but perfectly pretty, non-conformity aside. Decent tan head with low retention but good lacing. Aggressive evergreen hops in nose with mild underlying sweetness. Highly bitter start and finish with pine-y, balsam-y middle supported by a solid crystal maltiness. Easy drinking for a seven+ beer with balanced mouthfeel.

fours all-around. Look forword to this being bottled later in '10.

rabsten, Aug 12, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: Poured into one of my Bridge Brew Works pint glasses. The color comes out amber. What on earth happened here? A two finger head showed up with a decent amount of lacing.

Aroma: I picked up pine, malt, a little bit of citrus, and strange stale odor.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. This is heavier than your average IPA.

Taste: I immediately picked up floral and citrus notes with each taste. Each sip started with floral lime/lemon notes and then transforming to slight piny hops and malt. The drinks more like a pale ale honestly, but I'm afraid I might have an old bottle. I have absolutely no idea when this stuff was bottled because there's no date on the bottle. I don't mind a malt backbone to IPAs, but there's just a bit too much in this one. I expected more hop bitterness.

Overall: This is a bit expensive for what it is. I purchased a 750ml bottle for $10 at King Spirits in Huntington, WV. That's a little steep for my taste when it comes to an average IPA. This is by no means a bad beer though, but I don't know if I'll buy this until it is cheaper or in a smaller bottle.

SmellsLikePoor, Apr 18, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

spedprof, Mar 25, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

(On tap at Star City VFD Brew Fest)

Poured a very nice deep copper with some nice head and decent lacing. Nice hoppy scent with a great malt backbone to it; slight citrus and what I thought were a lot of Fuggle-type hops. Excellent flavor, a very deep and malty pale ale with excellent hop flavors: a little jerky and quite a bit of floral/grass, with a hint of citrus. Went down very smoothly; perhaps a little under-carbonated, but I prefer them that way. The higher ABV is not detectable, so be careful!

JamesS, Apr 23, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

Bridge Brew Works IPA has a body that is orange and red, with shades of brown at the core. An off white head rises almost two fingers above the body. The retention and lacing are both solid.

The aroma has quite a bit of fruity hops, and a ton of sweet malt.

The hop profile in this IPA is more intense than the malt, but the malt is bigger. I guess a better way to say this is that the hops are powerful and short, while the malt is deep and seems to linger forever. The hops begin with very fruity characteristics, with citrus and other fruits. A small amount of resinous pine is there also, with a moderate bitterness. The hops give way to the malt quickly, and the malt is sweet, with loads of toffee, some caramel, sweetness, and some bread. Definitely a balanced IPA that does a good job expressing the hops and the malts.

Medium bodied, slightly creamy. Good feel.

This is a pretty good beer, especially if you like English IPAs. Not abrasively hoppy, but well-balanced. Bridge Brew Works seems pretty solid based upon the three beers I got to try. Once again, however, the price on this bottle was excessive. 11 bucks for a 750ml bottle of an IPA that doesn't even throw in all of those expensive hops. I guess the fact that Bridge only bottles a few hundred of each beer, is quite small and located in a rural area drive prices up.

Hojaminbag, May 24, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +7.7%

got it in a fifth bottle for just under 10$. it was amber with a nice fluffy head. very malty with hops coming through for a short time. i found it flavorful and enjoyable. not too carbonated and i thought it was extremely drinkable. no challenge in finishing the bottle. if it were at a more reasonable price i would most likely get it again.

hatrix, Dec 17, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

A- penny copper in color, slightly darker than most other IPAs I believe, a nice head on it that grows at the end of the pour and gives you a little cascading action.

S- pine, citrus, and floral notes all come to the party, with the flowers eventually stealing the show.

T- Floral notes dominate the taste here with a little grassiness and citrus in the background. Also present is a sweet fruit flavor that I can't quite place, maybe pear, maybe apricot, or somewhere in between.

M- good body to this and carbonation is nice, you can tell this is a well-crafted brew.

O- Very nice, I was a little skeptical of this bottle, but I'm anticipating good things from this WV brewery.

Franz4, Jun 06, 2011

DoctorB2B, Nov 20, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

750ml bottle into a snifter. $9.50 at Drug Emporium in Huntington, WV.

My first offering from my home state's newest brewery: Bridge Brew Works IPA. Even as an English IPA, this beer is darker than the style dictates, with a cloudy amber color reminiscent of iced tea. The head is appropriate, tan in color, and well-retained. Faintly minty, herbal aroma with a bit of chalkiness to the caramel malt balance. Hints of tropical fruit and pine in the background, but I wish they were more prominent.

More pine and tropical hop notes in the flavor, but the maltiness is muddled mid-palate with dried fruit and a mineral graininess. Body is chewy and thick for the style, and the finish brings a bitterness that leans toward medicinal. I really wanted to give high marks to this beer simply because it's from one of the few remaining craft breweries in my home state, but unfortunately I could not. Needs to nail down what it wants to be as an English IPA--at this point it's akin to a beginner's homebrew. Still, it's not a bad little beer, per say, but it could use some recipe and/or execution re-tooling.

wagenvolks, Dec 23, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Buck6196, Jul 16, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -26.6%

Bomber purchased on vacation in West Virginia

Enormous billowing pure white foam head, no real lacing. Body is a hazy amber. Appealing.

Earthy, herbal aroma while pleasant, is rather weak. Takes a real deep snort with small return.

Sweet malt beginning, a little thin, short on depth. A dash of fruit, earthy hops, a bitter snap. Unfortunate sour note in the finish.

Simple light-medium mouthfeel.

A pretty basic English IPA that could use more of everything and anything, while losing the sour note closer that seems to show up with every other taste.

RonfromJersey, Aug 05, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

A- pours brown... What?!?! Finger of off white head. Decent retention.

S- the aroma is the beat part of this beer. Pine and leafy floral herbal hop aromas. Some nutty malty aromas with a touch of biscuit and grainy malty notes. Finishes with with a bit of caramel.

T- big malty nutty biscuity malt. A touch of earthiness in the middle. Light herbal floral hop flavor. Ends with caramel and bitter tea.

MF- slick mouthfeel medium body and some prickly carbonation.

D- drinkability is high. I just don't dig the flavor that much. Plus the color is way of

overall this is one IPA that needs quite a bit of work.

Viciousknishs, Aug 20, 2011