The Dun Glen Dubbel - Bridge Brew Works LLC

The Dun Glen DubbelThe Dun Glen Dubbel

Bridge Brew Works LLC visit their website
West Virginia, United States

Dubbel |  7.08% ABV

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 02-26-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by kbuzz:

kbuzz, May 17, 2014

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #60 (Jan 2012):

LOOK: Hazed chesnut

SMELL: Mint, peppercorn, caramel, alcohol, muscat raisins, mulberries, brown bread

TASTE: Smooth, toasted biscuit, mild caramel, currants, faint lingonberry, yeast, estery alcohol, modest hopping, bread crust, dry toasty finish

Did we just wake up in Belgium again? Quite a surprise, and comparable to its abbey-brewed counterparts. Could be one of the first beers from West Virginia for us, and a great welcome to the state. Give us a simple plate of meat and cheese, and we'd be in beer heaven!

BeerAdvocate, Jul 24, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

Jason, Nov 20, 2011

williamjbauer, May 13, 2013

avisong, Oct 07, 2014

GRG1313, Oct 28, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

A- cloudy brown chestnut with a ruby hue. Small tan foamy head that reduces leaving no lace.

S- buttery caramel, malt, butterscotch, dark cherry juice, a bit of piney hops.

T- creamy buttery malt, dark fruits, plum, raisans, underlying hop bitterness, finishes slightly tart and dry, great linger, well balanced.

M- medium body and carbination, slightly creamy.

O- surprised by this one, great balance of dark fruits and sweet malt. Well balanced and very good!

Treyliff, Aug 15, 2012

tourdot, Jul 07, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

I got this beer for Christmas from my cousin Nate. It's another cold winter night in mid Michigan and a Dubbel sounds pretty good right about now. Poured from a cork and caged 750ml bottle into my goblet. 2010 vintage.

A- The label looks pretty nice, it's a picture of an old train bridge with a tan background. It says its a Belgian style dubbel and to think, taste. All in all it looks pretty professional. The cork came out with a nice popping sound and a little smoke. It poured a nice redish amber color with 2 fingers worth of off white head that died down down to a nice lump.

S- I pick up a nice mixture of tart fruits and dark fruits along with a healthy dose of Belgian yeast and a slight hint of alcohol.

T- This beer tastes very similar to the aroma. The fruits are more toned down then they were in the aroma but they are balanced nicely with some candied sugar. The Belgian yeast imparts some mild spices that help tie everything together. I can detect a small amount of alcohol, but not as much as the aroma lead me to believe.

M- Medium bodied with good carbonation and a dry finish.

D- I am splitting this beer with my brother, but if he wasn't around I could see myself taking out the whole bottle. Good drinkability for a dubbel. The alcohol is hidden well.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer. I don't have a ton of experience with this style so I can't compare it to some of the authentic Belgian dubbels, but as far as I can tell this is pretty true to the style and tasty. I don't know whether or not this will be a regular in Bridge Brew Work's lineup, but i think it should be. Good job Nate this was a nice dubbel, hopefully more Belgians in the works, I got my fingers crossed for a quad.
EDIT 2012 since writing th review i have had a few different Belgian Dubbels amd I have to say that that this a good example of the style and I bumped the taste up to a4, this brew can hold it's own against the authentic Belgian Dubbels.

StoutHunter, Feb 26, 2011

Ghizmo, Jan 06, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

TaylorK, Oct 14, 2012

Ohiovania, Jun 25, 2014

Shawnspl, Oct 19, 2013

cadaugherty, May 08, 2013
3.55/5  rDev -9%

Thin tan head on a dark brown body with light brown highlights.

Fresh fruity aroma. Cherries, grapes.

More fruits in the taste. Grapes. Has a strange, slightly off putting aftertaste.

Lower end of carbonation for the style. Medium mouthfeel.

This west Virginia offering was alright. The aftertaste was kind of distracting. Glad to try it though, thanks egrace84 for the state tick!

Duff27, Jun 29, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

Bridge Brew Works had a beer dinner a few nights ago down the street from me so I was lucky enough to take home one of these bottles.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown color that appears amber when held up to a light. A one finger head appeared that quickly dissipated without lacing.

Aroma: The aroma was a one trick pony. It was fairly strong, but a note of banana bread was basically the only scent present. I noticed a little bit of dark fruit, but it was hardly noticeable. I don't want to give the wrong impression though. That one banana bread note was damn good.

Mouthfeel: It was fairly thin and watery with a minuscule amount of carbonation. This is not what I expected at all from a dubbel.

Taste: The banana bread note from the aroma was present, but not nearly as overpowering. I also noticed more dark fruit and maltiness. The bottle stated that it had a touch of bittering hops, but I didn't really notice them much at all. It finished more sweet than bitter and it really opened up and as it warmed.

Overall: I loved this beer. The price was pretty steep because I bought it through a restaurant, but they threw in two logo pint glasses so I suppose I can live with it. If the price was right, I would definitely get this again.

SmellsLikePoor, Apr 11, 2012

spedprof, Mar 25, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a cola color capped by an inch of foam; dotty lacing left behind

Smell: Tamarind and leather, with hints of prune

Taste: Tamarind and prune, up front, with leather, wood and cherry tones building, in the middle; dry, tannic finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: The beer avoids the cloying sweetness that imperils lower quality dubbels but it doesn't achieve the complexity of the best examples of the style

brentk56, Jan 12, 2014
3.55/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle pour at Woodshop 8 held at The Hermosillo in Los Angeles, CA.

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one.

Pours a clear dark orange-brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, caramel, and dark fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with malt and dark fruit flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some solid aromas and flavors but nothing really stands out to me.

UCLABrewN84, Oct 29, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

Bridge Brew Works Dubbel has a brown body with a little bit of yeast sediment floating around in it. The head is a tan head that is abuot a finger thick; the retention and lacing are minimal.

The aroma has some dark fruits and a light spiciness. There is a good bit of sugary sweetness also.

For a dubbel, there is not a ton of complexity in this one. There isn't anything wrong with it, but I have trouble really liking it. The phenolic, spicy characteristics from the aroma are stronger in the flavor, and they are probably my favorite part of this beer. A little bit of dark fruit, with black cherries being notable. Bready malt and a pretty strong candied sugar flavor round things out.

The mouthfeel is light and fairly well-carbonated.

This is a solid dubbel, and I love trying local beers when I go places. With that said, for 14 bucks a bottle this one is over-priced. Stick to a Trappist for 10-11 dollars, you'll be better off.

Hojaminbag, May 24, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Tasted On: 04-15-2013
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 22 oz. brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Chalice
Purchased: Received in a trade

Pours as a dark, murky brown beer with red highlights. The small tan head fades fairly fast, leaving only a small amount of lacing. Smells of caramel malts, rich and sweet, with notes of raisin and fig, and brown bread. Very aromatic

The taste starts with molasses-like dark heavy sweetness; very malty and bready. Also has a type of sourdough flavor to it plus earthy hops, with little or no bitterness. I get a little Belgian yeast funkiness, but not a lot. The mouthfeel has little carbonation which seems low for the style, with a syrupy consistency. Finishes slightly sweet with toasted malts.

Overall a very good beer, but could use some tweaks to get up to the next level.

Thanks to Treyliff for the this trade brew!

sommersb, Apr 16, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

mcaulifww, Dec 20, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

A friend brought this bottle back from a recent trip to WV, reviewing it from notes I took last evening.

A- I thought this beer looked great, a nice burnt amber color to it, good head, and nice lacing to go with it.

S- Lots of maltiness up front, also picked up on some smoked peat aromas, but they were by no means dominant. A subtle yeastiness as present and lightened up the nose a bit.

T- I thought this brew had a substantial difference between the nose and the taste. I got some dark cherries and an apple/pear flavor mixed in, yeastiness was present but what I perceived as smoke in the nose wasn't present at all. Some caramel in the background.

M- Low carbonation, medium bodied, brought the best of this beer out.

O- Very nice brew I enjoyed trying and I'd have again.

Franz4, Jun 06, 2011