Coal Stoker's Blackberry - Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company

Coal Stoker's BlackberryCoal Stoker's Blackberry

Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: WakeandBake on 04-19-2009)
Reviews by snowbeard:
3.75/5  rDev +21%

2.24/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Appearance- Dark Brown color with a half finger tan head. head starts to diminish quickly.

Smell- mild wheat smell with a hint of black berry and sweet fruit smells. I feel like it could smell better.

Taste.- I am highly disappointed with the taste of this beer. I thought it was gonna taste a whole lot better but it tasted worse than it smelled. It has a sweet blackberry fruity taste at first and then quickly starts to finish harsh. The finish is horrible. It kind of tastes like an old leather boot or a spoiled stout.

Mouth feel- it is okay. feels like and average beer. not a whole lot of carbonation.

I am highly disappointed with this beer. I bought this as a single bottle but I have scene it at the store for close to $9 dollars for a six pack. I feel that is crazy expensive for this beer. I would never look to drink this beer again. Just highly disappointed because I had high expectations for this..

3.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Coal Stokers Blackberry Ale is a darker brown color that does feature traces of purple. Go figure. A light tan head caps it and also looks a little purple. It stands about a finger or so tall and hangs around for quite a while. Lacing was moderate and sticky.

The nose is average. It isn’t very strong. It definitely smells sweet and fruity. Berry notes are quite prominent. Smells like a host of berries, rather than just blackberry. It smells a tad malty. Cocoa scented chocolate malts and roasted malts are in the mix. That about wraps it up. Alcohol is masked very well, although it’s not very strong. Smells okay.

The flavor is a tad better than the nose. The malt base is more flavorful than expected. It is a mix of roasted and chocolate malts. The chocolate variety definitely tastes like cocoa. The base is complemented by a nice berry flavor. It’s not overly strong though and works well. It definitely adds a sweet element to the flavor. It’s not bad. There are some earthy and grainy notes on the tail. Alcohol is buried. Finishes malty and fruity.

The body is light medium and has a decent feel. Carbonation is somewhat restrained. It’s not bad and goes down rather easily. The berry flavor grows somewhat tiresome by the end of the bottle. A 12 oz. serving size was a great call.

Coal Stokers Blackberry Ale is a decent beer from Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company. The blackberry element isn’t overly done. It works pretty well with the malty base. It gets a little tiresome, but isn’t bad. I’m not all that into fruit beers, but this isn’t a bad one. You could definitely do worse.

3.59/5  rDev +15.8%

3.1/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a short 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Small head produced from the pour didn't last long. This beer is a dark brown/red, almost black. Light carbonation, it kind of looks like a flat cola.

Smell: Sweet fruity aroma. Doesn't smell particularly like blackberries, more like a mystery fruit jam mixed with an ale.

Taste: The taste is better than the appearance and smell would lead me to believe. It has a nice tartness.

3.08/5  rDev -0.6%

Extra from the ugly duckling.

Cute stubby bottle. Actually a mix of raspberry & stout. Damn, forgot to take a picture.

Quarter pour into sampling mug, no dregs in the bottle for frosting. Filtered burgundy & root beer color. Not much of any head.

Smell is of Juicy Juice, almost like mixed strawberry & grape jam. Noticeable amount of straw-y grain. It's beer. :)

Taste... first off feel, is pretty thin. Feels like a amber, or at best a pretty clean brown. Just like the smell, I taste jam. Just barely a hint of roast & a dusting of malted grain. Flavor isn't too generic, so there must be genuine fruit or juice added at some point down the line.

A frambozen with a slightly heavier roast? A little generic, but natural. I enjoyed trying it.

3.43/5  rDev +10.6%

I poured into a pint glass to an off white, one finger head. This is my second one of this beer. I poured the first one and when I rinsed the bottle out I realized there was some sediments in the bottom. So I swirled the second one. It was reddish brown with burnt orange highlights the first time. The swirled beer is brown with suspended yeast. I actually think it tastes smoother this way.

Berry dominates the aroma and taste. I get a little bit of yeast smell, very faint. The blackberry flavor sticks to my lips.

It would probably be more refreshing on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn. The blackberry taste is too much to enjoy more than one or two. It is awfully sweet to drink too many.

Cheers!

2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Odd murky purplish color. But the cream colored head holds pretty well, and leaves a sheet down the side of the glass. I did leave some sediment in the bottle, which I would imagine is best for this beer.

Overwhelming aroma of blackberry. It's not particularly appetizing.

At first it's pretty hard to find the beer elements in this one. It has a really strong blackberry flavor. The taste is less cloying than the aroma though. Malt flavors are rather muddled, and there's only a slight leafy hop in the back end. Fortunately the sweetness is not overwhelming, and there's a mild tartness for balance.

The feel is pretty good. The beer is soft on the tongue and the carbonation is right.

If this was still the drinkability score, it wouldn't be high. I'm having a hard time finishing one. Not a beer I'd be too excited to have again, and I'm usually pretty okay with fruit beers most of the time.

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

2.4/5  rDev -22.6%

I picked up a bottle of Mt. Pleasant's Coal Stoker's Blackberry Ale a couple weeks ago for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I have had this beer before, but I don't really remember much about it, so I thought I should pick up a bottle and give it a proper review, so let's see how it goes. No visible bottling date but I think its from the middle of 2011. Poured from a short 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label is the same old one that is on most of this brewery's bottles, the only difference is that it has a dark purple background. It poured a dark brown ruby red color that looked plum colored when held to the light and it had a big three and a half fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left a lot of patchy lacing. This beer has a nice color and nice big head.

S- The aroma of this beer isn't that strong. It starts off with some lightly toasted malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and impart a grainy and brown bread like aroma, all in all the malts smell a little stale. Next comes the blackberry's which are also a little sweet and smell somewhat natural, I also pick up some grassy hops towards the end. Not the best smelling beer, but not the worst either, something about it makes it smell stale.

T- The taste of this beer is quite different then the aroma. It starts of with the malts which have a low amount of sweetness but don't really impart that much flavor just a faint grainy and malty taste which is pretty thin and would be better if it retained some of those toasted aspects it had in the aroma. Next comes the blackberry's which stick out, but they aren't that recognizable, it shows up as a sweet berry jam flavor that is somewhat tart, it doesn't have that taste hat automatically makes you think blackberry's. The finish is sweet with a grainy and berry like aftertaste. I wasn't too impressed with the flavor of this beer, it didn't do anything for me.

M- Somewhat smooth, a little tart, on the light side of being medium bodied it and had a high amount of carbonation that was a little too prickly. The mouthfeel on this beer was just ok, it was nothing special.

Overall I thought that this was a slightly below average beer and a pretty forgettable Fruit beer. The flavors and aromas just seemed out of whack, the malts didn't have enough flavor and the blackberry's weren't that discernible. This beer wasn't that drinkable, it went down somewhat smooth, but it didn't have enough flavor to hold my attention. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, it looked pretty nice and unique and had some pretty impressive head retention. What I liked least about this beer was pretty much everything else, the aromas and flavors weren't that great and the mouthfeel wasn't that good either, there is a lot to fix with this beer. I won't be buying this beer again, it wasn't a memorable fruit beer and it really didn't work for me. I don't recommend this beer, there is just too much wrong with it. This was a pretty unimpressive beer, nothing about it really stuck out besides the flavors that shouldn't stick out, like the unwanted tartness. I find this brewery to be pretty hit or miss and this beer turned out to be a miss, it needed a better malt base and it needed a better and more natural blackberry flavor, I won't be buying this beer again.

2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Coal Stokers Blackberry Ale pours a strange purple hued amber color. It is a bit cloudy and carries a purplish looking head. The head has average retention and average lacing abilities as well.

The aroma is super fruity with a big dose of fermented berries. The fruit does maintain some pleasant sweetness that mixes well with the bready sweetness of the malt.

The flavor is much different than I had expected. It has a noticeably tart character that plays well off of the berries, but does not play so well with the malt character of the beer. It strikes me as an odd collision with a really strange and unappealing flavor in the finish. As the beer warms it becomes clear that the odd flavor clash might be the result of what tastes like roasted malt.

This beer carries a medium body and has a fairly invigorating amount of carbonation. The finish is pretty dry with some tart, fruity notes left after swallowing.

I am not very impressed with this brew at all. The aroma is pretty nice, but the flavor is confusing and just falls flat with me. It is an interesting brew, but not one I would ever pick up again.

1.55/5  rDev -50%

Bottle poured into a pint glass. I'm hoping this is better than the IPA from the same brewery.

A - Dark Dark purple colored body with a small white head.

S - Sweet artificial berry aroma. Similar to what I'd expect to smell from some Juicy Juice.

T - Maybe a hint of artificial blackberry taste up front with a disgusting metallic taste in the finish. A bit of a grape like flavor in the end as well? This is just awful.

M - light to medium with a good amount of carbonation

D - Nasty stuff. I'm pouring the rest of this out. The after taste is awful. I am not sure if this is really even a beer.

3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a moderate head. Color is dark cloudy hazel.

Smell is floury, with a definite presence of fruit.

First sip is a definite tart fruit presence, combined with a dark malty stout aftertaste. It's not too bitter, though, and the whole mouthfeel of it is quite pleasant.

Overall, this beer is one of the better beers I've had from Mountain Town. Maybe not on par with Founders or Bells, but a great brewery nonetheless. This is a prime example of what they are potential of.

3.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark rust color with a hazy clarity. Noticed some sediment in the bottom of the bottle so I swirled it around and in the glass it went!. On top is a creamy, one finger, off white head that left some decent lace.

S: A bit of roasty malt with a slathering of blackberry preserves. Smells like quality fruit was used. Not something out of a big plastic jug labeled "Food Grade Blackberry Syrup".

T: Again, roasted malt and blackberry are in the forefront with help from some bitter, earthy hops and maybe a touch of chocolate or caramel in the finish?

M: Relatively still and not overcarbonated. Sweet with the right amounts of roasty, tangy, dry, and bitter.

D: I'm usually a little wary of fruit beers like this (especially when they say they use "juice" (instead of "fruit") right on the label) but I have to say I was impressed! This would be a great cook-out beer!

2.75/5  rDev -11.3%

3.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a cloudy, ruddy amber color. 1/3 inch head of a white color. Good retention and great lacing. Smells of blackberries, tart malt, slight sweet malt, yeast, and slight grain. Fits the style of a Fruit / Vegetable beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of blackberries, sweet malt, hops, slight tart malt, and yeast. Overall, the best blackberry beer I've had, but that is not saying too much.

Coal Stoker's Blackberry from Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company