Crazy Train Black IPA - Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company

Crazy Train Black IPACrazy Train Black IPA

good

Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 01-25-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.75/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Serviceable, drinkable, black IPA twist top from Champane's Cellars. Black colour with lots of lace. Moderate roast aroma. Smooth mouthfeel, though drying finish. Good hops, the roast is somewhat rough. Not the best black IPA, but still a good second tier.

Sammy, Jan 24, 2013

dmorgan310, Jun 29, 2013

Zaphog, Jun 04, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -1.4%

I picked up a bottle of Mt. Pleasant's Crazy Train Black IPA for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. The last beer I had from this brewery wasn't great, but I am a big fan of this style and I thought I should pick one up, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, I know it's fresh. Poured from a short brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I don't mind the label on this beer, it looks ok and it's not the same as all the other labels from this brewery. It poured a very dark brown color that was just about pitch black and it had some ruby highlights when held to the light, it had two fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice lacing. This beer looks pretty good.

S- The aroma starts off with loads of hops, it smells like a half and half mixture of citrus and floral hops, grapefruit sticks out the most. In the middle I pick up a good amount of malts that have a medium amount of sweetness, they have a more pale malt aroma. The aroma was good, but I wish some roast showed up.

T- The taste starts with some malts which have a little roast to them, but it's not much and it imparts some grainy and bready flavors and it had low amount of sweetness. Next comes the hops, they are different then they were in the aroma and impart a milder amount of earthy, grassy and herbal flavors. It had a low amount of medium bitterness and it had a slightly roasty and hoppy aftertaste. The flavor wasn't bad I just wish it had more roast to it and that the hops were more citrus and floral.

M- Smooth, slightly crisp, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice, I liked it.

Overall I thought this was a slightly above average Black IPA, there were no off flavors but I wish the flavor was a more intense and robust, if it had more roast, and if the hops in the flavor were more like the hops in the aroma this would be a pretty good American Black Ale. This beer had OK drinkability, I could drink another one. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were both pretty good. What I liked least about this was the light amount of roast and hops in the flavor. With some other good Black IPA's just as availible i don't think I will get this beer often but I do think it's worth giving a try. I like the fact that this brewery took a chance on this style and this beer is somewhat solid, but with a couple tweaks it could be a very good beer.

StoutHunter, Jan 25, 2012

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

Rihup, Dec 07, 2013

Agentveba, Sep 12, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled coded 079 13 542... no idea what that means. Bottled 79th day of 2013? I hope not, this beer would be about six months old. $2.19 single poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: The highlight. Gigantic four finger head makes it hard to pour the whole thing in the glass. Rocky and creamy on top, with a soapy underlayer. Phenomenal thick and sticky lacing. The beer is a ruby black/brown color with some particles floating around. Slight haze. The label (as seen in the picture) is maroon and gold. Hm.. Mt. Pleasant? Central Michigan University?

Smell: Actually really soapy... I wasn't expecting that at all. Aside from that, I get traces of earthy and herbal hops. Surprisingly, no really noticeable malt aromas to speak of, at least until the beer warms up -- then it comes out a bit.

Taste/feel: I recall ABAs being more pungent than this, with some heavy roast flavors. I get a caramel and sweet malt flavor on the beginning, with a slightly spicy hop finish, with a pretty mild bitterness. A name like "Crazy Train" gives the impression, at least to me, of a really bold beer. This is definitely a tasty beer, but I have to wonder what the age is on this. Not what I was expecting, but easy to drink, and pretty enjoyable. The beer has more depth of flavor as it warms up (imagine that!), which helps the rating a little bit for me.

Alextricity, Aug 06, 2013