Oktoberfest Lager - Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company

good

Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Drk93TT on 09-24-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
tommy5

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

10-27-2013 12:56:21 | More by tommy5
StoutHunter

3.31/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Mt. Pleasant's Oktoberfest Lager a couple days ago for $2.29 at The Lager Mill. It's been a while since I've seen a new beer from Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company and since I missed out on this beer last year I thought I would give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, 2013 release. Poured from a shorter brown 12oz bottle into and imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got the standard train theme with a nice autumn like background that's appropriate for the style and season. It poured a nice and bright amber color that took on more of a copper color when held to the light with a half fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left no lacing behind. This was an okay looking beer, but I thought the head and lacing were a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by lots of malts that impart a grainy, bready, and caramel like aroma with some bread crust aromas really sticking out. Up next comes a noticeable fruity aroma that's slightly cider like, it may be from the yeast, but I've never had lager yeast impart an aroma like this. On the finish there's a slight bit of hops that's barely noticeable and imparts a slight earthy aroma and there's also a slight nutty aroma at the end. The aroma is nice and it's fairly true to the style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a good amount of malts that impart a some sweet, bready, grainy, and caramel malt like flavors with the bread crust still sticking out the most. Up next comes a lighter smokey flavor with a slight nutty flavor and there's some earthy hops on the finish that impart a lower amount of medium bitterness with a grainy, bread crust, and slightly smokey like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but the smokey flavor threw me off a little.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, fairly clean, somewhat dry, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this style.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and it was an okay Oktoberfest, but it wasn't that true to style, the smokiness in the taste threw me off a little and it really doesn't fit in the style and I thought it hurt this beer a little, it didn't make it a bad beer, but smokiness isn't something that worked well with this style. This beer had a decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, but the flavor didn't really hold my attention and I think one is enough for me, I can't see myself reaching for another one after I finish this. What I liked the most about it was the aroma and mouthfeel they were both nice and fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the smokiness, I like smokey beers but it's not something that I want in an Oktoberfest. I wouldn't buy this beer again since there's many other local Oktoberfests that are way truer to style and that I would much rather have. I wouldn't recommend this beer because it just doesn't represent the style well. All in all I wasn't a fan of this beer, it just didn't do it for me and I wish Mt. Pleasant took a more traditional approach with this style, better luck next time guys.

09-21-2013 03:58:44 | More by StoutHunter

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

01-14-2013 18:50:13 | More by BlissJunkie
Drk93TT

3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

Picked up a single to try at the Wine Palace.

A: Cloudy copper orange with little head and minimal lacing.

S: Malt and more malt!

T: Taste is smooth and refreshing for the style. Not too sweet and not too bland.. Can pick up the sweet flavor in the beer also on the finish. lingers nicely.

M: Sturdy all around.. mildly hopped. Very viscous on the palate.

O: On par with its MI competition, not as sweet as say a Frankenmuth Oktoberfest.. but definitly similar all around.

09-24-2012 18:06:40 | More by Drk93TT

07-28-2013 16:56:08 | More by ROBSTARR
CMUbrew

3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

Reviewed 9/27/12 On-tap at Mountain Town Station

A: Two fingers of tight, off-wite foam sit on top of what appears to be a dark copper beer, although the dim lighting makes this color assessment questionable.

S: The maltiness of this beer is pretty obvious in the nose. An earthy hop bitterness can also be detected.

T: Very bready malts bring a sweetness that is well-balanced with earthy bittering hops. A little bit of grassiness follows, adding more flavor. Delicious.

M: The body is much more full than I was anticipating from this style (not a bad thing). Carbonation is great. Goes down smooth.

O: This is one great-drinking beer. I will be getting a growler of this before the season is over.

10-01-2012 17:09:25 | More by CMUbrew
hackmann

3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: dusty, hazy amber pumpkin body with a thin eggshell colored head and not much on the lacing front. Make sure to get the sediment off the bottom of the bottle.

Aroma: sturdy malt profile with a grassy and slightly herbal like hop note,

Flavors: earthy malts, yeasts, and hops. Sweet bread like malts, lightly toasted grains, and a hint of grassy hop bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: moderate-fine carbonation, earthy feel, sweet without being overly sweet, light hop bitterness on the finish,

Overall: nothing fancy, it is an oktoberfest beer, it was easy to drink and I did not grow tired of this oktoberfest. I liked its earthy style.

10-03-2012 00:38:09 | More by hackmann