Iron Horse I.P.A. - Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company

Iron Horse I.P.A.Iron Horse I.P.A.

good

Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: oberon on 04-29-2003)
4.88/5  rDev +35.9%

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours out a dark golden orange body with a thick white head that maintains superb retention and lacing. Has decent carbonation. The nose consists of pleasant aromas of citrus, pine, and earthy hops. The taste consists of floral hops, followed by some pine and finishes off with some citrus. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy. A very good IPA that is well balanced in its taste and is a must try IPA.

4.24/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this at Erbelli’s Pizzeria in Kalamazoo. It was sold under the label “Iron Maiden IPA” and listed as their house IPA but the server said that it was the Iron Horse IPA from Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company. Figured it was worth a shot and I wasn’t disappointed.

This pours a clear amber gold color with nice tight foam. It has an orange citrus aroma and light pine spice. The flavor has a fun spirited bitterness. It’s sharply bitter upfront with a long lingering bitter finish with orange & pine hop flavor. I get a real pleasant piney resin flavor with a hint of a botanical finish. It’s a surprising enjoyable brew.

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was nice dark gold into brown with a nice head.

Smell was huge of hops and citrus.

Taste was right on the same boat. Tons of hops. Very dry, almost piney finish that stays with you for quite a while.

Mouthfeel was pretty big. That with the lingering dryness would be why it would be hard to drink more than one or two.

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours a dark copper color with a nice lace of head. Smells hoppy and hints of grapefruit aroma. Goes down pretty smooth, but leaves some bitterness in the back of the throat. Taste extremely hoppy, but isn't overpowering. Overall a good IPA. I'd recommend it.

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

I poured it pretty violently into a pint glass and got all head. I'm waiting for it to dissolve back into beer... The head's like ocean foam but more tan. I now see see the dark brass color of the beer. It's opaque as well. It's got a nice mild, but abundant, smell of piney hops and grapefruit and Fruit Loops cereal. Taste reflects a nice blend of hops and malt. Piney and sweet with a nice bitter aftertaste. A medium bodied creamy texture with perfect carbonation. Pretty easy going down. This is a very good I.P.A.

4.13/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a cloudy, bright shiny copper penny color with a thick and creamy off-white head that features excellent retention and leaves an unbelievable amount of gorgeous looking lace in the glass. Lazily carbonated.

S: Very fruity IPA. Peach, apricot, mango, and grapefruit. Also along for the ride is some fresh cut grass, pine, tangerine, crackery malt, sweet orange, and a dallop of molassas.

T: Tastes exactly as it smells. The only addition would be a bit of white pepper in the finish. Tastes extremely fresh!

M: Juicy and sticky. Sweet and fruity with just the right amounts of dry, spicy, and peppery.

D: I totally was not expecting an AIPA of this caliber from this (unknown to me) brewery. Judging by the previous reviews I have a feeling that they either changed their recipe or people reviewed this way past its' prime, or both. Another excellent MI IPA. This commands you to drink it!

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

A: Poured cold from a refrigerated bottle into a weizen glass, Iron Horse IPA had zero head to speak of, with minimal lacing and decent retention. The color is a rich, cloudy amber-orange. Very inviting to the eyes!

S: Rich, citrus hops hit the nose immediately, with a floral, rosy finish. This is a really refined-smelling beer.

T: The generous hops hit the tastebuds up front, coupled with notes of spruce and malts, even a hint of caramel. The carbonation is extremely mild, allowing for the flavors to make their mark on the tongue uninterrupted. Not the best IPA I've ever tasted, but definitely better than average.

M: One of the things I appreciate most about a good IPA is when the brewer keeps the carbonation under control. This expertise is exemplified in Iron Horse IPA. The mouthfeel is smooth, quick and dry, just it should be!

O: No pun intended, but this beer "Pleasant-ly" surprised me! At 6.6% abv, Iron Horse falls within typical IPA gravity standards, but the rich flavor and mild carbonation make it a very sessionable beer (as long as you're walking to your next destination)! I could easily see myself grabbing a sixer of this at some point.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Pours very murky amber with a relentless massive off-white head that never seems to stop forming. Left a moderate amount of lacing.

S - Grapefruit and mango up front, followed by some lemon zest and orange peel.

T - Pineapple and sweet grapefruit up front followed by a decent amount of mango and malt. A tad bit watery in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with moderate to heavy carbonation.

O - Overall, This was a good IPA and very, very sessionable.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

A- Pours a dark, dark amber with a very full and frothy amber head. A lot of head especially for it's style. It leaves a superb amount of lace.

S- Smells to be very balanced between malt and hops; even somewhat heavy on both of them. Extremely fruity as well. I detect banana strangely enough.

T- The taste seems a lot less "fresh" than the aroma. It's not nearly as crisp. The hops and the malt are a bit blurred together.

There appears to be tons of hops in this, but it tastes like it's primarily wet-hopped. There's a lot of pine to the finish but the hops don't seem extremely prominent before that.

The malt is a bit grainy and buttery. I can really appreciate the malt, although I wish the hops came through a bit more.

M- Around a medium body. It feels a bit watery but full at the same time. It's considerably dry, and slightly sticky in the finish.

D- A bit better than I expected for a brewery I'd heard nothing about. It's a good, well rounded IPA. I think the hop varieties chosen were a bit different than some of my preferred IPAs, but they work in letting the malt get some of the spotlight.

I didn't detect any alcohol heat in this. I think you could easily down a few of these. I'm somewhat plowing through mine.

I got this in a mix a 6pk as I wouldn't have bought a pack of this otherwise. I feel that my preconceptions of less well known breweries may have improved due to this. Will have to check out more from Mt. Pleasant Brewery.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a pretty good hazy coppery with a decent little off-white head. Solid hop nose without much else--very floral and not alcoholy. Solid medium bodied mouthfeel. Excellent flavor--solid hops but rich in something else I can't place that lingers, something else dry other than hop. It's very good. Overall a very yummy and drinkable IPA. My first brew from Mt. Pleasant Brewing Co, and I'll be looking to try more soon!

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Picked this up two days ago at Siciliano's Market while in town for the Founder's KBS release. Trying to drink the IPA's as fresh as possible for reviews.

Pours a brown, hazy, copper color into a Unibroue tulip glass. Lots of carbonation and an impressive soapy white two finger head.

Distinct American IPA aroma. Floral, fruity, and sweet. Could be some Simcoe or Amarillo dry late hop additions on this one to lend to the very good aroma. After checking the website, I'm wrong. They claim to use Cascade and Northern brewer hops in this beer.

Consistent flavor, almost to a fault. The front is the same as the finish. No bitter bite or flavor punch from the hops. One could argue this is a well balanced beer but I found the flatness was not a positive trait in this case.

Halfway through I'm enjoying the random, character shape lacing.

A nice beer and I'd be happy to have a local brewpub that served up an IPA of this quality.

3.95/5  rDev +10%

A - Pours a slightly hazy, coppery amber topped by a pinky-sized pillow of off-white head. Nice retention and lace.

S - Assertive hoppiness. Pine, grapefruit. Underlying malt backbone that doesn't dominate.

T - An aggressive, refreshing punch of hops. Slight malt sweetness to balance. Lingeringly bitter, dry finish.

M - Based on previous reviews, I braced myself for a syrupy, chewy mess. I don't know if I got lucky with my bottle or if the brewer has re-tuned his latest batch, but the carbonation was snappy and correct in my opinion. Nonetheless, the viscosity was indeed a little too thick.

D - This beer was a pleasant surprise, as the brewer is new to me, but I saw the bottle and wanted to support a Michigan product. I'd definitely drink this again, especially when I'm in the mood for a hop bomb.

3.95/5  rDev +10%

A - Cloudy gold in color, white head that starts with 4 fingers, but fades to just 1.

S - Citrus hop aroma.

T - Hoppy, but not citrus like the smell. Much more of a fresh smelling hop, perhaps floral? There is some resin in there as well, right at the end. Not much malt character, but the beer does not suffer for it. Very pleasant.

M - Not to fat, not to thin. Leaves my mouth wet.

D - Very drinkable, and a pleasant surprise from this brewery.

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

A - medium amber in color with a thin cream colored head.

S - Very floral & citrusy smelling with a very light caramel aroma.

T - Identical to the smell. Has a strong floral & citrus hop flavor with a light caramel taste.

M - light - medium bodied and lightly carbonated.

O - I'm impressed. This is a very nice ipa for such a small town brewery.

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

On-tap at the brewery. My second or third favorite during the trip to the brewing company. Pale color with decent lacing and head; smells of hoppy clove aromas. The bear is pretty bitter but is balanced out by a nice citrus flavor to give the beer some sweetness. Nice beer.

Iron Horse I.P.A. from Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company