Iron Horse I.P.A. - Mountain Town Brewing Co.

Iron Horse I.P.A.Iron Horse I.P.A.

pDev: 20%
Mountain Town Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: oberon on 04-29-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Standard IPA color, copper with a small head. Aromas are grainy fruity hops and caramel, and they show up again in the flavors. Reminds me of a Red Hook IPA. Body's fine. One of the few just mediocre brews I had while back in MI. Not awful, but when there are so many better local IPAs (Bells, Founders, Short, Dark Horse, etc.) out there, why bother?

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%

Iron Horse is amber/orange in color with a 3/4" fragile head. The aroma was all about the citrus hops with just a slight malt presence. The taste followed aroma's suit. There was a little malt but is was pushed way into the background by the hops. The feel was medium bodied, oily and sufficient carbonation. Drinkability was above average, mainly due to the moderate ABV.

A respectable APA, though not as balanced as I would prefer. It's difficult to be average in a tough market like this one.

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks Dave! Consumed on 10/11, from notes.

Pours a cloudy dark amber-copper. 1 finger white head, spotty lacing.

Smells fruity but I also get a lot of piney-resin hops. Some earthy notes but overall the aroma is not very pronounced. I would've liked a bit more dry hopping, but I like my IPAs with very vibrant aromas. Crackery and toffee flavored malt.

See aroma. Moderate-low bitterness, slightly fruity with earthy and pine tree hop flavors. Some spiced notes too.

This is a nice sessionable IPA that is pretty balanced overall, with solid hop flavors that succeed in being interesting, but aren't overly expressive or in-your-face.

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

I poured it pretty violently into a pint glass and got all head. I'm waiting for it to dissolve back into beer... The head's like ocean foam but more tan. I now see see the dark brass color of the beer. It's opaque as well. It's got a nice mild, but abundant, smell of piney hops and grapefruit and Fruit Loops cereal. Taste reflects a nice blend of hops and malt. Piney and sweet with a nice bitter aftertaste. A medium bodied creamy texture with perfect carbonation. Pretty easy going down. This is a very good I.P.A.

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a cloudy, bright shiny copper penny color with a thick and creamy off-white head that features excellent retention and leaves an unbelievable amount of gorgeous looking lace in the glass. Lazily carbonated.

S: Very fruity IPA. Peach, apricot, mango, and grapefruit. Also along for the ride is some fresh cut grass, pine, tangerine, crackery malt, sweet orange, and a dallop of molassas.

T: Tastes exactly as it smells. The only addition would be a bit of white pepper in the finish. Tastes extremely fresh!

M: Juicy and sticky. Sweet and fruity with just the right amounts of dry, spicy, and peppery.

D: I totally was not expecting an AIPA of this caliber from this (unknown to me) brewery. Judging by the previous reviews I have a feeling that they either changed their recipe or people reviewed this way past its' prime, or both. Another excellent MI IPA. This commands you to drink it!

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

A - Pours a slightly hazy, coppery amber topped by a pinky-sized pillow of off-white head. Nice retention and lace.

S - Assertive hoppiness. Pine, grapefruit. Underlying malt backbone that doesn't dominate.

T - An aggressive, refreshing punch of hops. Slight malt sweetness to balance. Lingeringly bitter, dry finish.

M - Based on previous reviews, I braced myself for a syrupy, chewy mess. I don't know if I got lucky with my bottle or if the brewer has re-tuned his latest batch, but the carbonation was snappy and correct in my opinion. Nonetheless, the viscosity was indeed a little too thick.

D - This beer was a pleasant surprise, as the brewer is new to me, but I saw the bottle and wanted to support a Michigan product. I'd definitely drink this again, especially when I'm in the mood for a hop bomb.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Hey good lookin'... Pours a very attractive dark, veiled copper with luxuriously thick head.

The smell is sweet peach and pine and a pretty good whiff of both considering that this is not a double or a "tweener."

The mouthfeel is just a bit too thick and undercarbonated for the style. It's the mouthfeel that I would expect from a bolder beer.

The taste is fine, but doesn't fulfill the promise of the appearance or the smell. You get a very brief taste of the citrus and peach flavors, but those quickly fade to a one-note bitterness. This is worth a try, and is a pleasant drink, but it isn't something that you're going to remember for long afterwards.

3.44/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a short 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Thin tan head. Hazy amber body. Definitely darker than most beers of this style.

Smell: Real nice fruity/hoppy aroma. Grapefruit, orange rind, and a little minty.

Taste: Grapefruit and mint at first. Big pop of pine in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Very thick.

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a pretty good hazy coppery with a decent little off-white head. Solid hop nose without much else--very floral and not alcoholy. Solid medium bodied mouthfeel. Excellent flavor--solid hops but rich in something else I can't place that lingers, something else dry other than hop. It's very good. Overall a very yummy and drinkable IPA. My first brew from Mt. Pleasant Brewing Co, and I'll be looking to try more soon!

3.47/5  rDev -3.6%

A- A slightly hazy orange liquid with ni streams of carbonation making their way to the surface. The head is splotchy, thin, and white.

S- Some banana and other assorted fruits, caramel, and some flowers. Very appealing, but maybe just a tad on the sweet side.

T- Fruits, caramel, and flowers. Pretty sweet and buttery for my tastes.

M- Slightly undercarbonated and has a buttery aspect to it. Lacks that typical IPA kick.

D- An average take on the style. It drinks okay, but is quickly forgettable. With a market flooded in IPA's, I will probably not purchase this again.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Bought at Siciliano's in Standale, MI. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Copper with a thick white head and a medium lacing.

S: Mostly citrus, with a little bit of sweetness and the typical floral smell.

T: Hoppy & bitter, but not overly so. Well balanced, though the overall flavor is on the lighter side, it works well for this beer.

M: Medium carbonation, light to medium body.

D: Extremely easy to drink. I think 2 or 3 would be easily drinkable in one sitting.

I like this beer. It's a nice surprise. I just figured I'd give it a try because it was a newer MI brewery, and I'm very glad I did. I'll definitely be trying more of their ales in the near future.

4.17/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a dark copper color with a nice lace of head. Smells hoppy and hints of grapefruit aroma. Goes down pretty smooth, but leaves some bitterness in the back of the throat. Taste extremely hoppy, but isn't overpowering. Overall a good IPA. I'd recommend it.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a nice cloudy orange color with a small foamy white head and good lacing.

Scent of citrus, hops, caramel, and some sugars. Mild and well balanced, a quality smelling IPA.

Taste of caramel, grapefruit, citrus, some hops, and grain. Balanced and tasty, but more along the lines of a Pale Ale in terms of hoppiness.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and slick with a small amount of carbonation.

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

Picked this up two days ago at Siciliano's Market while in town for the Founder's KBS release. Trying to drink the IPA's as fresh as possible for reviews.

Pours a brown, hazy, copper color into a Unibroue tulip glass. Lots of carbonation and an impressive soapy white two finger head.

Distinct American IPA aroma. Floral, fruity, and sweet. Could be some Simcoe or Amarillo dry late hop additions on this one to lend to the very good aroma. After checking the website, I'm wrong. They claim to use Cascade and Northern brewer hops in this beer.

Consistent flavor, almost to a fault. The front is the same as the finish. No bitter bite or flavor punch from the hops. One could argue this is a well balanced beer but I found the flatness was not a positive trait in this case.

Halfway through I'm enjoying the random, character shape lacing.

A nice beer and I'd be happy to have a local brewpub that served up an IPA of this quality.

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass:

A: Copper/Reddish color with a thin white head. Small amount of lacing.

S: Nice hop citrus aroma w/ a mild sweetness

T: Nice hop flavor a little light in body

M: light to medium body good carbonation

D: Very easy to drink,

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer has definitely improved since the last review. There was plenty of hops flavor and citrus notes to go around balanced with just enough malt to make this beer very solid. Head retention wasn't the greatest, but the mouthfeel was surprisingly excellent. This one still has a little ways to go, but right now I would classify it as one of the better IPA's I have recently.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

I have to say this beer is getting better from a year ago when I was here last,pours a deep copper color with medium head that dissapates pretty quickly.Smell of some hops but not to much aroma,taste is somewhat bitter with a decent malty background.Highly drinkable though and went well with the scottish eggs I had.Still a work in progress here but its getting better.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Iron Horse I.P.A. from Mountain Town Brewing Co.