Follow our progress ...

Added by abaer123 on 12-30-2013

Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 25
Reviews by jaydoc:

4.27/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fruity tangerine with very bitter finish.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

this is an aggressively hopped IPA from Social. I hope I am adding / reviewing this beverage in the right location. If not, I apologize. I felt it worthy of a review as I am enjoying it.

I am enjoying this beverage at toronado in san francisco as I write this review connected to their internet.

The taste is aggessive hop. I am not sure if I have wrecked my palette in the last few days of drinking super hoppy beer, but the hop flavor still comes through with the smell IPA. This beer is causing me to want to visit the Social Kitchen here in San Francisco to check out their wares.

A - Cloudy orange in appearance. I prefer a clearer look, so not a great overall score here for me.

S - hoppy, orange, pine, dank. Nice

T - this is where the bonus comes in for me. my tongue tingles as the liquid goodness crosses it. Glory be!

M - Fullness to the brew. wish i could always have this feeling!

Anyway, I recommend it!

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A decent IPA, not blowing any minds here though. This is very hop forward with little malt backbone. Little else in the way of flavor though.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: No

3.89/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

3.02/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.43/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Brewed with Santiam hops. Beautiful golden color with an enthusiasm of foam in the pint shaker. Very fragrant with carnations and ripe papaya. Taste is bright and tangy. Light and refreshingly watery body.

Fairly bitter, and a long bitter aftertaste. Faintly tart and hot, with the malt just kissing the lips sweetly. A touch of mango, but more whispers of pine. Hot and a little woody but clouds of tangerine, cedar, and raw green beans. On tap, cask version, at the brewery restaurant.

4.21/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.89/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Social Kitchen & Brewery - San Francisco, CA - draft

3.94/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Name aside, this take on the IPA was enjoyable enough—although here I am typing up my notes and realizing that means nothing really stood out. Pity that.

It looked great in the glass, with a solid golden color and a billowy white cap. After the foam settled I’d be surprised if there was 14 oz in this ‘pint,’ in fact.

The aroma was the defining characteristic of this beer, and it did live up to its name. I caught this mix of citrusy tangerine and some pine, but what stood out was a wonderful tropical fruit salad. I kept returning to the smell of The Smell over and over to try picking out what it was—guava, pineapple, kiwi? Regardless, it was wonderful.

These notes were present as well on the flavor, but everything suddenly felt muted. Was it the malt—balanced, to be sure—which prevented the tropical goodness from truly shining? Or just the more traditional hop flavors drowned out the nuances? I wanted to really like this one, and I ended up enjoying it but I don’t crave it enough to seek it out again.

3.63/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Light orange in appearance. Smells a bit like fruit. Melon and grapefruit to be precise. Very thin head with slight lacing on the glass. Overly bitter but not the heavy kind of bitter. Has that floral zing that good ipas have.

Not too heavy body either.

Good beer, but in this style, particularly in this area, the bar is set pretty high. Not at the same level as Alpine or Russian River.

The Smell IPA from Social Kitchen & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.