No picture uploaded.
Have one? Upload it now.
Ratings: 3 | Reviews: 3 | Display Reviews Only:
4.51/5 rDev +15.9%
vibe: 4 | quality: 4.5 | service: 4.5 | selection: 4.75 | $$
I found this place when I googled "Craft Beer Agawam MA" and this was the first place. I work in Agawam and needed a craft beer haul for the upcoming weekend but wanted to go on my lunch break. I head on over(5 minutes from my work) and find it stowed away in a little plaza/stripmall kind of dealy. Walked in to a friendly woman behind the counter. their craft beer selection isn't huge compared to saaay table and vine in west sprinfield, but in my opinion, way more diverse selection. Ive become a regular every Friday at lunch to make my selections for the week. I usually get something new every week and the staff, every week, makes a great suggestion for me. They also have Bourbon County Stout on the regular, which is the BEST!! Sometimes when I make my choices I will get to the counter to pay and they will have some great beer behind the counter they suggest, like a little treasure only for me. such a great place. they support local breweries as well, which I love. I will be a loyal supporter of this place for a very long time!!
02-28-2014 20:11:36 | More by MarkAvery
3.55/5 rDev -8.7%
vibe: 3 | quality: 3 | service: 4.5 | selection: 3.5 | $$
Located next to Agawam Flower Shop, McCarthy Liquors shares it's parking lot with a handful of other businesses within the plaza as well as some overflow from the nearby, but separate, condominiums. The parking lot is laid out for one-way traffic and it can be a nuisance to locate a spot and park.
Once inside, McCarthy Liquors is clean, well kept and well lit. I would estimate the size to be 1500-2000 sq.ft. They have a large wine section immediately on the right-hand side with the beer toward the back. The left side of the store is mostly spirits with the register being immediately on the left-hand side when you enter.
There are a few craft beer aisles with about 75% of their stock and the remaining 25% in coolers. They seem to have dedicated shelves for (6) packs and separate shelves for 650/750ml bottles.
Their selection consists of regular/seasonal offerings from the larger craft breweries (Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada, Magic Hat, Goose Island, Founders, etc.) as well as fresh local craft bottles (Smuttynose, Berkshire, Long Trail, Harpoon, Paper City, etc.). This is a good place to pick up a bottle if you're nearby or passing through and are looking for something to enjoy or shopping for extas. There is a good variety here but rarely is there something that cannot be found in a 10-mile radius. They do not seem to be able to bring in the more sought after mega-hyped bottles (e.g. KBS, Nemesis, BCS Coffee/Vanilla/Rare, Bitches' Brew, etc.).
The prices border between 'reasonable' and 'a bit pricey'. It seems as though their inventory has the potential to sit and accumulate dust. McCarthy Liquors cannot compete with the prices and volume of juggernaut Table & Vine but their prices aren't so high that I would travel an extra 5-10 minutes for the same bottle.
Good service. If they do not have what you are looking for they will try their hardest to get it. There are a few employees who take the time to sample the products they sell and provide legitimate, genuine recommendations.
05-06-2011 14:46:39 | More by monsterzero
3.6/5 rDev -7.5%
quality: 3 | service: 4 | selection: 4 | $$$
A small store that I used to live very close to, and not having a car at the time, used to visit often. They have a small but decent craft selection. A nice amount of offerings from Stone, Dogfish Head, Unibroue, Lindemans, Victory, Berkshire, Southern Tier, Sierra Nevada, Founders, etc. Sadly their section of these beers usually goes unnoticed by their regular customers, lots of it is collecting dust and old product sits there and never/rarely gets removed. I've seen (very) old summer beers sitting there in the middle of winter and accidently purchased expired beers more than once. Always check for expiration dates when shopping here. That being said I have found some nice aged treasures, this year '07 DFH Fort and '09 Bigfoot were among them. They also still had a ton of FBS in spring when every other store I know of had sold out months before. Their prices are high, to be expected from a smaller place trying to stay in business I suppose. Most of their beers are 2 or 3 dollars more expensive than the norm.
06-27-2010 16:29:54 | More by Chico1985
McCarthy's Liquors in Agawam, MA
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.