Lily Flagg Milk Stout - Straight To Ale

Beer added by: Todd on 04-21-2010

to view more.
Ratings: 185 | Reviews: 39
3.71/5  rDev +1.6%

Interesting. Tasted as if there was some type of weak liquor in it. Not a bad thing, but not what I was expecting. Left Hand is better

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

No label information. Lily Flagg is brewed in the style of a Milk/Sweet Stout. Available year round in 12 oz. canned 6 packs and on draft.

Poured from a 12 oz. can to a pint glass. Served above 58 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a frothy crisp toasted mocha head over a very dark cola brown, near black body. Retention is below average and lacing is light and spotty. 3

(Smell) The malt aroma generates plenty of moderate roasted barley up front with secondary notes of cocoa and black coffee. While there is a moderate lactose sweetness among the malt profile, it does not immediately stand out that this beer is considered a milk stout. Potency is moderate. 3.5

(Taste) Flavors of medium roasted barley, toasted caramel grain, a pinch of black patent, cocoa nibs and earthy, acidic coffee bean with a soft lactose sweetness, well balanced by the earthy roast flavors and slightly less sweet overall than many milk stouts generally are. Delicate undertones of dark fruit. Slightly dry with a lingering note of cold acidic roast trailing the finish. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) The texture is light oily slick, creamy smooth and mildly dry. Carbonation is moderate, generating a medium frothiness and a softly crisp finish. Body is medium+ for the style, medium/heavy overall. Balance is slightly earthy bitter with roast over sweet. Alcohol presence is low and there are no off characters. 4

(Overall) Lily Flagg is a milk stout more in texture than in flavor, as I got more flavors of roasted malt and toasted caramel than lactose sweetness and chocolate. The texture itself is enjoyable; creamy, frothy and very smooth. Despite not falling directly in line with the milk stout guidelines, I enjoyed the sweetness balancing with the roasted malts, favoring this slightly over a more traditional example of a sweet milk stout. The drinkability is decent for this beer overall thanks to the closer balance, although still filling as stouts happen to be, I could only manage one or two of these as they sit fairly heavy. 3.75

Straight To Ale's
Lily Flagg Milk Stout
3.67/5.00

4.42/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

It's a delicious milk stout

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

The beer comes in a black color with some dark brown in the light.

The aroma offers hot cocoa chocolate, a touch of coffee, a bit of lactose creaminess.

The flavor follows with coffee up front, some milk chocolate and hot cocoa. A touch of licorice and metallic flavors. A bit lacking on the back end of flavor, but drinks quite well for 5%.

2.57/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

This is not a good milk stout. It's oddly over carbonated which masks the texture you would expect from a milk stout. Avoid at all costs.

4.65/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Solid stout. Great cream notes, almost a honey sweet side.

3.84/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Roasty, great mouthfeel for a 5% beer

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

16 ounce pint at Flying Saucer Draught Emporium in Nashville, Tennessee.
Dark, deep brown liquid (not quite black) , with an inch tan foam. Good retention, left chunky
lace.
Smell was not as strong as expected, roasted malt, maybe a hint of cocoa.
Taste of charred malt, some chocolate, clean finish.
Mouth feel and body are medium (lighter than expected) good carbonation.
Good enough, but less overall flavor than I had hoped for.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Slight taste of chocolate with a punch of coffee. Very smooth and great for IPA drinkers.

3.39/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Cypress Street pub (ATL),
Opaque black with a good, fairly durable head.
Aroma: mild; lightly sweet; toffee and roasted grains.
Flavor: dark roasted grains. Light sweetness is about average for style, excepting perhaps the lightly sweet aftertaste.

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving type: Can

Appearance: Poured nice and dark with a nice head that quickly dissipates to lacing then down to a barely there ring.
Smell: Bit of sweet coffee, bit of wood. The smell here is sadly light.
Taste: The taste is good with coffee and a bit of cocoa. A bit nutty as well (pecans would be my guess). Slightly marred by a metallic after taste. I want to investigate this further from a tap.
Mouth feel: 3..25 Nothing wrong with it at all. Not a mouth-coating chewer like you'd get from a standard stout but pleasant.
Overall: 3.5 A couple of faults hold this back from being truly excellent but very drinkable and pleasant. Not particularly challenging but an easy good time from my home town, which counts for a bit in my book.

4.05/5  rDev +11%

12oz can - born on date was distorted, but some time in 2014.

A - Pitch black, one finger tan head that dissipates to a collar and left no lacing.

S - Chocolate and caramel with a light roast. Zero hop character.

T - Big roast-coffee character bordering on astringent. Not a ton of residual sweetness.

M - My palate could be off today but the body is just a hair on the light sight, bordering on porter territory. English style high carbonate water profile comes through though.

O - Great brew, very true to style.

3.54/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can poured into snifter

A - dark black with an unrelenting towering khaki head, average retention, and small amounts of lacing

S - a very weak nose. I detect just a bit of milk chocolate, not much else.

T - chocolate milk, coffee, and some metallic notes. Finish has the slightest hint of roasted nuts.

M - Extremely carbonated, slight aftertaste

O - okay but compared to Moo Hoo, I chose Moo Hoo.

4.04/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Pours like black coffee with a light tan head that fizzles out quickly leaving a pencil thin ring. The ring does leave a few spots of lacing.

S: Bold roasted coffee, warm aroma of roasted grains, just a little chocolate. No noticeable hops or yeast aromas.

T: Smooth coffee, pleasant roasted grains with a hint of smoke on the finish. Nice malty sweetness with no real bitterness or hop notes.

M: A little thin for a stout but a nice smooth feel. Understated carbonation fits in well and a mild lingering of the aromatic flavors.

O: I enjoyed this milk stout with its interesting roasted notes and heavy coffee aroma. This is very drinkable and is one of my favorite Straight to Ale beers. I'm glad it's one of their year round offerings

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Babalus Tacos, Jackson, MS,

A: Very dark brown with a tan one finger head that dissipates slowly. Frothy lacing.

S: Not a strong smell, but I'm picking up traces of coffee, chocolate, cocoa and vanilla.

T: Follows nose with a pleasant milky smoothness. Semi-sweet. A slightly harsh finish that doesn't offend. Very sessionable.

M: Medium with medium carbonation. A nice fizziness on the tongue.

O: Not bad, not great. A decent milk stout, but I've had better. Would go well with a brownie or chocolate chip cookie.

3.22/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out black with a super thick light brown head. It didn't explode out of the can like some of these reviews, but a gentle pour into a tulip still creates a ton of head.

Smell isn't very impressive, little bit of toasted coffee and malt. Not bad, but mediocre at best.

Taste is hard to read. No chocolate notes, not much of a burnt coffee flavor. It's so carbonated, I didn't even get the lactose flavor.

Way over carbonated. The carbonation really ruined this beer for me.

Overall, I'm a big chocolate/oatmeal stout fan, and this just wasn't anything I expected from a milk stout.

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Pours dark brown to black, requiring a lot of light to appear ruby red, though still opaque, with a mocha head.

S: Milk chocolate, dark chocolate and medium roast coffee in the nose.

T: Sweet milk chocolate, malt, roasted malt and medium and dark roast coffee.

M: Medium full bodied and creamy, but not super smooth.

O: Smells good, tastes good, body could be better, but still recommended if you like stouts.

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Can bought in Alabama last spring. One can had inflated and blown; this one is just inflated. Over-chilled to decrease foaming, but no problem. Poured into English Bass pint mug.

A: It's a stout, so, about black; nice, tight, 1" head.

S: Roast malts as appropriate, chocolate and black patent, I reckon. No hop aroma.

T: Rich and full roast malt palate; enough hop bitterness to balance nicely; no noticeable hop flavor, right for style.

M: Full, but not thick or syrupy, again, correct for style.

O: I like this beer and wish it were available in the north country.

2.92/5  rDev -20%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz can into a Gandhi-Bot tulip. The can almost blew up on the car ride back from Alabama, which I've never seen before - all my other beer was fine. A little nervous about cracking this one.

A: Despite a couple weeks in the fridge this is one of the most overcarbonated beers I've ever had - even a super slow, delicate pour down the side of the glass fills 90% of the tulip with frothy tan foam. On the plus side, the head is dense enough to stand up a full inch above the rim without even a chance of overflowing, but on the downside it takes fully 10 minutes just to empty the can. Even after all that head, though, there's no lace. Disappointing.

S: Not bad here, with a pleasant mixture of dark chocolate, brownie batter, lactose, and some nuttiness. Pretty intense for a 5% beer, with a good balance of sweetness and roastiness. Solid.

T: Not nearly as good here, sadly, with a strong metallic streak marring an otherwise middle-of-the-road Milk Stout. There's still some nice dark chocolate maltiness and a good bit of coffee bitterness on the finish, but the harsh metallic aftertaste just thins things out and makes the overall experience a little bit of a chore.

M: Still highly carbonated, which I'm ok with. Sometimes a beer that explodes into a huge head winds up feeling thin and flat, but this has maintained a decently creamy (if not terribly thick) mouthfeel.

O: Even if this weren't overcarbonated it would only be about average. I'm always happy to try a new canned craft beer, but I'm glad I didn't get a sixpack. Straight to Ale brews some tasty beers, but I can't recommend this one.

Cheers!

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On my first trip to Huntsville I came across this brew at a little dive known as the Voodoo Lounge. Boy was I glad I did.

A nice, dark beer, it has a good appearance and decent smell. It's taste is smooth and mellow with a decent mouthfeel (low carbonation.) Overall, I consider it one of the better beers I have ever tasted and will be glad to partake of it in again, if I'm in the area. (Who knew that Alabama brews some good stuff...?)

3.25/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: First of all, what the fuck is going on with the artwork on this can? Geez, that is some disturbing shit. Next, this can has given me a first. I've never experienced a gusher from a can before. I guess, for some reason, I never thought it was possible. Apparently it is. As for the beer itself, I attempted to pour it into a pint glass, but the glass immediately filled with foamy, dark tan colored head. Fifteen minutes later, I've got a couple of inches of black beer in the bottom on my glass and thin, patchy, fizzy surface coating. No lacing.
We're not off to a good start here, Lily Flagg.

S: Well, the aroma does get better, but it's not great. Cola, cocoa, coffee, and all combined with a fairly strong metallic ting.

T: Taste is much nicer, if not overly impressive. Mildly sweet milk chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee. A bit of a metallic taste on the finish.

M: On the heavier side of medium in body. Higher carbonation; actually this is quite overcarbonated for the style. A bit chalky. Dry on the finish.

O: I've got to admit, one thing that really pisses me off is pouring a beer into a glass and getting a glass full of foam, meaning that instead of me being able to enjoy my beer, I've got to sit around with my thumb up my ass while I wait for the head to recede to normal-beer levels. And this beer certainly gave me a glass full of foam. Then there was the metallic smell and taste. I don't think it was from the can itself, but rather, the overcarbonation of this beer. Overall, a decent milk stout. Definitely has potential even if it missed the mark this time around.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a pitch black color as do most stouts. Thick, toffee colored white head that dissipates at a moderate rate. Leaves no lacing. Smells of lactose and sweet chocolate. I'm also sensing some light roasted coffee and toasted almonds. Taste follows the nose, mostly. Coffee with whole milk in it and some added sweetener. It almost mimics that taste to a T. Mouthfeel is a bit carbonated and prickly. Body is watery and unimpressive. Overall, a decent brew. Smells fantastic, tastes good, but has a weak body. Try it if you find it.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can
Served in a nonic pint glass

I will preface this review disclosing that I was warned that this beer could possibly be overcarbonated.

A - This beer is dark. I held it to the light and nothing came through. Once the initial gushing of foam subsided I was left with three fingers of mocha colored head.

S - I get some roasted malt and lactose. The combination of those aromas creates a milk chocolate smell.

T - The taste does not remind me of milk chocolate. The taste is similar to a cup of coffee with some cream in it.

M - It is medium bodied with some prickly carbonation on my tongue.

O - It is a decent beer. The overcarbonation was a minor nuisance, but I did not spill a drop. I would like to try this on tap sometime. I think it would taste great out of a keg.

2.72/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Based on the review before mine, I must have one of the over-carbed cans as well.

A- poured into a pint glass, when I poured the first 1/3 of the can into the glass, it consisted of 75% foam. Took nearly 10 minutes to get the entire beer in the glass. Once it settled down it had a dark tan foamy head with no lace, dark brown in color.

S- roasted and grainy malt with a touch of chocolate, slight metallic finish

T- metallic taste follows the nose, however underneath there is a nice sugary-milky sweetness that complements the roasted chocolate notes pretty well, finish is sweet with more chocolate. There's some good flavors in here, they're just not meshing.

M- medium body, high carbonation, fizzy mouthfeel and finish. This has got to be over-carbed.

O- perhaps the bad batch, this one has potential but everything seems just a bit off. Might give this one another try if I see it again.

2.31/5  rDev -36.7%

I'm not sure if this was a bad batch, but this is the fourth can that I opened from a six-pack, and all have nearly exploded once popped open. For this fourth one, I gingerly opened it, but still loads of foam came rushing out. The head, of which there's a ton, is dark tan. The beer is a very dark brown. Slight metallic smell, some chocolate notes and roasted malt. As with the others from this six-pack, I had to let the beer sit for a while after I poured it into a pint glass before tasting. Even after the head went down (which took a good 10 minutes and multiple smaller pours so it didn't overflow), the beer is overly carbonated. Tasting is hampered by the thin beer expanding through carbonation in the mouth - it's like I had a sip of beer and then threw back some alka seltzer. Bitter chocolate, mineral, some hickory flavors. Disappointing.

to view more.