Lily Flagg Milk Stout - Straight To Ale

good

Straight To Ale visit their website
Alabama, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 04-21-2010)
Reviews by Florida9:
3.28/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: First of all, what the fuck is going on with the artwork on this can? Geez, that is some disturbing shit. Next, this can has given me a first. I've never experienced a gusher from a can before. I guess, for some reason, I never thought it was possible. Apparently it is. As for the beer itself, I attempted to pour it into a pint glass, but the glass immediately filled with foamy, dark tan colored head. Fifteen minutes later, I've got a couple of inches of black beer in the bottom on my glass and thin, patchy, fizzy surface coating. No lacing.
We're not off to a good start here, Lily Flagg.

S: Well, the aroma does get better, but it's not great. Cola, cocoa, coffee, and all combined with a fairly strong metallic ting.

T: Taste is much nicer, if not overly impressive. Mildly sweet milk chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee. A bit of a metallic taste on the finish.

M: On the heavier side of medium in body. Higher carbonation; actually this is quite overcarbonated for the style. A bit chalky. Dry on the finish.

O: I've got to admit, one thing that really pisses me off is pouring a beer into a glass and getting a glass full of foam, meaning that instead of me being able to enjoy my beer, I've got to sit around with my thumb up my ass while I wait for the head to recede to normal-beer levels. And this beer certainly gave me a glass full of foam. Then there was the metallic smell and taste. I don't think it was from the can itself, but rather, the overcarbonation of this beer. Overall, a decent milk stout. Definitely has potential even if it missed the mark this time around.

Florida9, Jun 06, 2013

nasa60, Jun 09, 2012

Golden32, Mar 08, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

jmbraxton, Apr 03, 2012
3.38/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Cypress Street pub (ATL),
Opaque black with a good, fairly durable head.
Aroma: mild; lightly sweet; toffee and roasted grains.
Flavor: dark roasted grains. Light sweetness is about average for style, excepting perhaps the lightly sweet aftertaste.

chinchill, Oct 01, 2014

bmoraymond, Sep 25, 2014

rworkman, Oct 03, 2013

atlbravsrno1, Sep 03, 2014
3.26/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 12 oz can into pilsner glass at local restaurant.

A: Very dark brown to black with 3 finger creamy tan head. Some initial lacing, but faded as I drank.

S: A bit weak. Some roasted malts with a bit of coffee. I was hoping for more prominent flavors in the nose, but nothing doing.

T: Dark roasted coffee with a bit of bitter chocolate. Some underlying sweetness but not as much as I would expect from a milk stout.

M: A bit thinner and more carbonated than I was expecting. It wasn't unpleasant, but I was hoping for more creaminess and fuller body.

O: Good stout especially for a local choice, but not near the best in class.

richj1970, Feb 11, 2013

xxcarpxx, Jan 11, 2013
2.71/5  rDev -26%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Based on the review before mine, I must have one of the over-carbed cans as well.

A- poured into a pint glass, when I poured the first 1/3 of the can into the glass, it consisted of 75% foam. Took nearly 10 minutes to get the entire beer in the glass. Once it settled down it had a dark tan foamy head with no lace, dark brown in color.

S- roasted and grainy malt with a touch of chocolate, slight metallic finish

T- metallic taste follows the nose, however underneath there is a nice sugary-milky sweetness that complements the roasted chocolate notes pretty well, finish is sweet with more chocolate. There's some good flavors in here, they're just not meshing.

M- medium body, high carbonation, fizzy mouthfeel and finish. This has got to be over-carbed.

O- perhaps the bad batch, this one has potential but everything seems just a bit off. Might give this one another try if I see it again.

Treyliff, Apr 04, 2013

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

Watdatsmelike, Feb 07, 2013
3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Served on tap at Mellow Mushroom in southeast Huntsville, AL

A: black as night, with a decent caramel head that lasted for awhile and lingered on the glass. A nice presentation.

S: light roast with some coffee tones.

T: not as thick or as sweet as I expected; other than some light coffee flavor, nothing remarkable nor bad. Went down very easily.

M: decent feel and heft with "fizzy" carbonation, almost like seltzer has; bit different than I expected, but not unpleasant.

O: a respectable beer that I would definitely order again at the bar.

darkstar12, Jan 27, 2012

CraigTravor, Jul 21, 2014
3.69/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can
Served in a nonic pint glass

I will preface this review disclosing that I was warned that this beer could possibly be overcarbonated.

A - This beer is dark. I held it to the light and nothing came through. Once the initial gushing of foam subsided I was left with three fingers of mocha colored head.

S - I get some roasted malt and lactose. The combination of those aromas creates a milk chocolate smell.

T - The taste does not remind me of milk chocolate. The taste is similar to a cup of coffee with some cream in it.

M - It is medium bodied with some prickly carbonation on my tongue.

O - It is a decent beer. The overcarbonation was a minor nuisance, but I did not spill a drop. I would like to try this on tap sometime. I think it would taste great out of a keg.

buschbeer, Apr 07, 2013