Lily Flagg Milk Stout - Straight To Ale

good

Straight To Ale visit their website
Alabama, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 04-21-2010)
Reviews by Treyliff:
2.71/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Based on the review before mine, I must have one of the over-carbed cans as well.

A- poured into a pint glass, when I poured the first 1/3 of the can into the glass, it consisted of 75% foam. Took nearly 10 minutes to get the entire beer in the glass. Once it settled down it had a dark tan foamy head with no lace, dark brown in color.

S- roasted and grainy malt with a touch of chocolate, slight metallic finish

T- metallic taste follows the nose, however underneath there is a nice sugary-milky sweetness that complements the roasted chocolate notes pretty well, finish is sweet with more chocolate. There's some good flavors in here, they're just not meshing.

M- medium body, high carbonation, fizzy mouthfeel and finish. This has got to be over-carbed.

O- perhaps the bad batch, this one has potential but everything seems just a bit off. Might give this one another try if I see it again.

Treyliff, Apr 04, 2013

Photekut, May 19, 2013

rworkman, Oct 03, 2013

atlbravsrno1, Sep 03, 2014
3.26/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 12 oz can into pilsner glass at local restaurant.

A: Very dark brown to black with 3 finger creamy tan head. Some initial lacing, but faded as I drank.

S: A bit weak. Some roasted malts with a bit of coffee. I was hoping for more prominent flavors in the nose, but nothing doing.

T: Dark roasted coffee with a bit of bitter chocolate. Some underlying sweetness but not as much as I would expect from a milk stout.

M: A bit thinner and more carbonated than I was expecting. It wasn't unpleasant, but I was hoping for more creaminess and fuller body.

O: Good stout especially for a local choice, but not near the best in class.

richj1970, Feb 11, 2013

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

Watdatsmelike, Feb 07, 2013
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Served on tap at Mellow Mushroom in southeast Huntsville, AL

A: black as night, with a decent caramel head that lasted for awhile and lingered on the glass. A nice presentation.

S: light roast with some coffee tones.

T: not as thick or as sweet as I expected; other than some light coffee flavor, nothing remarkable nor bad. Went down very easily.

M: decent feel and heft with "fizzy" carbonation, almost like seltzer has; bit different than I expected, but not unpleasant.

O: a respectable beer that I would definitely order again at the bar.

darkstar12, Jan 27, 2012

CraigTravor, Jul 21, 2014
3.69/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can
Served in a nonic pint glass

I will preface this review disclosing that I was warned that this beer could possibly be overcarbonated.

A - This beer is dark. I held it to the light and nothing came through. Once the initial gushing of foam subsided I was left with three fingers of mocha colored head.

S - I get some roasted malt and lactose. The combination of those aromas creates a milk chocolate smell.

T - The taste does not remind me of milk chocolate. The taste is similar to a cup of coffee with some cream in it.

M - It is medium bodied with some prickly carbonation on my tongue.

O - It is a decent beer. The overcarbonation was a minor nuisance, but I did not spill a drop. I would like to try this on tap sometime. I think it would taste great out of a keg.

buschbeer, Apr 07, 2013

GratefulEdd, Jul 11, 2013

freduardo, Nov 14, 2011

cfaulman, Sep 15, 2014

thadbikes, Dec 12, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On my first trip to Huntsville I came across this brew at a little dive known as the Voodoo Lounge. Boy was I glad I did.

A nice, dark beer, it has a good appearance and decent smell. It's taste is smooth and mellow with a decent mouthfeel (low carbonation.) Overall, I consider it one of the better beers I have ever tasted and will be glad to partake of it in again, if I'm in the area. (Who knew that Alabama brews some good stuff...?)

jjamadorphd, Aug 07, 2013