Lily Flagg Milk Stout - Straight To Ale

to view more.
Ratings: 183 | Reviews: 38
Reviews by grumpygerman:
3.39/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Cypress Street pub (ATL),
Opaque black with a good, fairly durable head.
Aroma: mild; lightly sweet; toffee and roasted grains.
Flavor: dark roasted grains. Light sweetness is about average for style, excepting perhaps the lightly sweet aftertaste.

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 12 oz can into pilsner glass at local restaurant.

A: Very dark brown to black with 3 finger creamy tan head. Some initial lacing, but faded as I drank.

S: A bit weak. Some roasted malts with a bit of coffee. I was hoping for more prominent flavors in the nose, but nothing doing.

T: Dark roasted coffee with a bit of bitter chocolate. Some underlying sweetness but not as much as I would expect from a milk stout.

M: A bit thinner and more carbonated than I was expecting. It wasn't unpleasant, but I was hoping for more creaminess and fuller body.

O: Good stout especially for a local choice, but not near the best in class.

2.72/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Based on the review before mine, I must have one of the over-carbed cans as well.

A- poured into a pint glass, when I poured the first 1/3 of the can into the glass, it consisted of 75% foam. Took nearly 10 minutes to get the entire beer in the glass. Once it settled down it had a dark tan foamy head with no lace, dark brown in color.

S- roasted and grainy malt with a touch of chocolate, slight metallic finish

T- metallic taste follows the nose, however underneath there is a nice sugary-milky sweetness that complements the roasted chocolate notes pretty well, finish is sweet with more chocolate. There's some good flavors in here, they're just not meshing.

M- medium body, high carbonation, fizzy mouthfeel and finish. This has got to be over-carbed.

O- perhaps the bad batch, this one has potential but everything seems just a bit off. Might give this one another try if I see it again.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Served on tap at Mellow Mushroom in southeast Huntsville, AL

A: black as night, with a decent caramel head that lasted for awhile and lingered on the glass. A nice presentation.

S: light roast with some coffee tones.

T: not as thick or as sweet as I expected; other than some light coffee flavor, nothing remarkable nor bad. Went down very easily.

M: decent feel and heft with "fizzy" carbonation, almost like seltzer has; bit different than I expected, but not unpleasant.

O: a respectable beer that I would definitely order again at the bar.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can
Served in a nonic pint glass

I will preface this review disclosing that I was warned that this beer could possibly be overcarbonated.

A - This beer is dark. I held it to the light and nothing came through. Once the initial gushing of foam subsided I was left with three fingers of mocha colored head.

S - I get some roasted malt and lactose. The combination of those aromas creates a milk chocolate smell.

T - The taste does not remind me of milk chocolate. The taste is similar to a cup of coffee with some cream in it.

M - It is medium bodied with some prickly carbonation on my tongue.

O - It is a decent beer. The overcarbonation was a minor nuisance, but I did not spill a drop. I would like to try this on tap sometime. I think it would taste great out of a keg.

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On my first trip to Huntsville I came across this brew at a little dive known as the Voodoo Lounge. Boy was I glad I did.

A nice, dark beer, it has a good appearance and decent smell. It's taste is smooth and mellow with a decent mouthfeel (low carbonation.) Overall, I consider it one of the better beers I have ever tasted and will be glad to partake of it in again, if I'm in the area. (Who knew that Alabama brews some good stuff...?)

3.91/5  rDev +7.1%

My favorite from the three I tried on tap in Decatur, Alabama's the Brick by this brewery. It was a thick, dark black color with a nice mocha colored head that faded slowly and left nice lace. The smell was of roasted malt, coffee, cocoa, chocolate and sweet caramel. The taste followed the nose with caramels, chocolate, coffee and a hint of earthy hops in the back. It was simple, but well done. Milky, creamy body made it go down smooth.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

16 ounce pint at Flying Saucer Draught Emporium in Nashville, Tennessee.
Dark, deep brown liquid (not quite black) , with an inch tan foam. Good retention, left chunky
lace.
Smell was not as strong as expected, roasted malt, maybe a hint of cocoa.
Taste of charred malt, some chocolate, clean finish.
Mouth feel and body are medium (lighter than expected) good carbonation.
Good enough, but less overall flavor than I had hoped for.

2.31/5  rDev -36.7%

I'm not sure if this was a bad batch, but this is the fourth can that I opened from a six-pack, and all have nearly exploded once popped open. For this fourth one, I gingerly opened it, but still loads of foam came rushing out. The head, of which there's a ton, is dark tan. The beer is a very dark brown. Slight metallic smell, some chocolate notes and roasted malt. As with the others from this six-pack, I had to let the beer sit for a while after I poured it into a pint glass before tasting. Even after the head went down (which took a good 10 minutes and multiple smaller pours so it didn't overflow), the beer is overly carbonated. Tasting is hampered by the thin beer expanding through carbonation in the mouth - it's like I had a sip of beer and then threw back some alka seltzer. Bitter chocolate, mineral, some hickory flavors. Disappointing.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Slight taste of chocolate with a punch of coffee. Very smooth and great for IPA drinkers.

4.04/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Pours like black coffee with a light tan head that fizzles out quickly leaving a pencil thin ring. The ring does leave a few spots of lacing.

S: Bold roasted coffee, warm aroma of roasted grains, just a little chocolate. No noticeable hops or yeast aromas.

T: Smooth coffee, pleasant roasted grains with a hint of smoke on the finish. Nice malty sweetness with no real bitterness or hop notes.

M: A little thin for a stout but a nice smooth feel. Understated carbonation fits in well and a mild lingering of the aromatic flavors.

O: I enjoyed this milk stout with its interesting roasted notes and heavy coffee aroma. This is very drinkable and is one of my favorite Straight to Ale beers. I'm glad it's one of their year round offerings

3.47/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

served on-tap @ The Alcove, Tuscaloosa AL, into a mason jar

Pours a pretty standard black color. Most milk stouts are pretty black and opaque, and this is no exception. What holds this score back then is the lack of head. It wasn't misexecution on the part of the bartender; I watched the bartender pour this beer. There just wasn't any head coming from this beer. Just wisps of camel hide brown foam.

The aroma and flavor mirror each other very well. It's conventional for the milk stout style: light roast, a bit of raisin, some breadiness, a touch of chocolate, and of course that lactose sweetness. This beer does nothing unexpected. It earns above-average marks because of its balance. It tastes good; everything works with each other.

It isn't awfully thick, but it does have a good heft to it for the style. I wish it were a little bit more mouth-coating, but the mouthfeel works.

Overall, this is an above-average milk stout. This is the least-impressive beer that I've had from Straight to Ale.

3.54/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can poured into snifter

A - dark black with an unrelenting towering khaki head, average retention, and small amounts of lacing

S - a very weak nose. I detect just a bit of milk chocolate, not much else.

T - chocolate milk, coffee, and some metallic notes. Finish has the slightest hint of roasted nuts.

M - Extremely carbonated, slight aftertaste

O - okay but compared to Moo Hoo, I chose Moo Hoo.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

The beer comes in a black color with some dark brown in the light.

The aroma offers hot cocoa chocolate, a touch of coffee, a bit of lactose creaminess.

The flavor follows with coffee up front, some milk chocolate and hot cocoa. A touch of licorice and metallic flavors. A bit lacking on the back end of flavor, but drinks quite well for 5%.

2.57/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

This is not a good milk stout. It's oddly over carbonated which masks the texture you would expect from a milk stout. Avoid at all costs.

4.05/5  rDev +11%

12oz can - born on date was distorted, but some time in 2014.

A - Pitch black, one finger tan head that dissipates to a collar and left no lacing.

S - Chocolate and caramel with a light roast. Zero hop character.

T - Big roast-coffee character bordering on astringent. Not a ton of residual sweetness.

M - My palate could be off today but the body is just a hair on the light sight, bordering on porter territory. English style high carbonate water profile comes through though.

O - Great brew, very true to style.

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Can bought in Alabama last spring. One can had inflated and blown; this one is just inflated. Over-chilled to decrease foaming, but no problem. Poured into English Bass pint mug.

A: It's a stout, so, about black; nice, tight, 1" head.

S: Roast malts as appropriate, chocolate and black patent, I reckon. No hop aroma.

T: Rich and full roast malt palate; enough hop bitterness to balance nicely; no noticeable hop flavor, right for style.

M: Full, but not thick or syrupy, again, correct for style.

O: I like this beer and wish it were available in the north country.

3.84/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Roasty, great mouthfeel for a 5% beer

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass.

Pours a deep, dark black. About a finger of tan, quickly dissipating head that leaves little lacing.

Smells of roasty malt and coffee dominate.
Taste follows smell pretty closely. Getting a good bit of coffee coming through.

Mouthfeel is medium. Nice and creamy.

Fairly drinkable, I will down several of these and, as a quite good local beer, I will be back for more!

3.22/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out black with a super thick light brown head. It didn't explode out of the can like some of these reviews, but a gentle pour into a tulip still creates a ton of head.

Smell isn't very impressive, little bit of toasted coffee and malt. Not bad, but mediocre at best.

Taste is hard to read. No chocolate notes, not much of a burnt coffee flavor. It's so carbonated, I didn't even get the lactose flavor.

Way over carbonated. The carbonation really ruined this beer for me.

Overall, I'm a big chocolate/oatmeal stout fan, and this just wasn't anything I expected from a milk stout.

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Growler Fill at FMcD's. I think these guys are pretty new to the Nashville area.

A: Pours oily and black. Thin brown bubbles filter up to an inch thick dark brown head. Looks frothy, thick, and full.

S: Coffee rinds, milk chocolate, smoke, and bready grains.

T: Milk chocolate sweetness up front with lingering flavors of bitter espresso, licorice, and burnt toast. Some dry, grainy qualities (like an irish dry stout possibly)? Finishes thin and dry.

M: Lightbodied, slick and oily, little carbonation. Flows smoothly and leaves a lingering coating on your tongue.

O: Overall a good example of the style. Solid flavoring and body. Will have no problem finishing off this growler and looking forward to trying more from Huntsville.

4.14/5  rDev +13.4%

Tasted On: 12-22-2011
Freshness: Unknown
Packaging: Draft
Glassware: Goblet
Purchased: On tap at the Nook, Nashville

A: Appearance is a black, opaque beer, served with almost no head.

S: Aromas are of roasted malts and espresso.

T: The taste is a pleasing balance of sweetness from the lactose and the bittering from the heavily roasted grains. Other flavors include chocolate and coffee.

M: Creamy mouthfeel, with a medium body, with a moderate amount of carbonation. Finishes lightly sweet with an aftertaste of coffee.

O: Overall an excellent milk stout from Straight to Ale. I'd highly recommend this one.

3.46/5  rDev -5.2%

ST: I first had this beer on tap and liked it immediately. It's still perfectly good from a can.

AP: Dark and heavy with a nice head after you pour it into a glass.

SM: Reforming smoker... :( Will comment more on the smell after I've been a non-smoker for a few months.

TA: I greatly enjoy the taste of this beer. It's not too bitter.

MF: Very smooth and drinkable.

O: My favorite milk stout.

2.36/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served on tap at the Nook into a standard pint glass. Just to be clear, I have loved all Straight to Ale beers insofar and this review disappoints me. Alas, I drank it and noted it, so I should put in my two cents.

A: Very dark brown, pretty much black color. A surprisingly white head made for a stark contrast but receded to practically nothing quickly.

S: The smell of this beer was pungent and a little bitter, believe it or not. From a milk stout I expect a fuller aroma, and the last thing I want is something that smells sour. The sour smell, mixed with "milk" stout, just conjures the image that this beer went bad.

T: Sadly, the taste is worse than the smell. While I may like my chicken sweet and sour from time to time, I never want my beer that way. While the sour taste isn't exactly strong, it is the most prominent taste. There is a sweetness to accompany the sourness, and this really only serves to augment the sourness.

M: For a beer of this color, it's rather thin and bubbly. More carbonation than I expected, which I wouldn't necessarily take points off for, but when ordering any sort of stout, I expect a fuller mouth feel than this. Honestly, it was thinner than the average brown ale.

O: I'm really sorry, Straight to Ale, but I have to mark this beer pretty low. I love you guys and your beer, especially living in Huntsville, but this was not a success. I dearly hope that I just got a bad batch or something.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a pitch black color as do most stouts. Thick, toffee colored white head that dissipates at a moderate rate. Leaves no lacing. Smells of lactose and sweet chocolate. I'm also sensing some light roasted coffee and toasted almonds. Taste follows the nose, mostly. Coffee with whole milk in it and some added sweetener. It almost mimics that taste to a T. Mouthfeel is a bit carbonated and prickly. Body is watery and unimpressive. Overall, a decent brew. Smells fantastic, tastes good, but has a weak body. Try it if you find it.

to view more.