1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Lily Flagg Milk Stout - Straight To Ale

Lily Flagg Milk StoutLily Flagg Milk Stout

good

Straight To Ale visit their website
Alabama, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 04-21-2010)

thadbikes, Dec 12, 2012

mhaugo, Dec 18, 2011
2.31/5  rDev -37.2%

I'm not sure if this was a bad batch, but this is the fourth can that I opened from a six-pack, and all have nearly exploded once popped open. For this fourth one, I gingerly opened it, but still loads of foam came rushing out. The head, of which there's a ton, is dark tan. The beer is a very dark brown. Slight metallic smell, some chocolate notes and roasted malt. As with the others from this six-pack, I had to let the beer sit for a while after I poured it into a pint glass before tasting. Even after the head went down (which took a good 10 minutes and multiple smaller pours so it didn't overflow), the beer is overly carbonated. Tasting is hampered by the thin beer expanding through carbonation in the mouth - it's like I had a sip of beer and then threw back some alka seltzer. Bitter chocolate, mineral, some hickory flavors. Disappointing.

kaufmaal, Mar 27, 2013
2.33/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served on tap at the Nook into a standard pint glass. Just to be clear, I have loved all Straight to Ale beers insofar and this review disappoints me. Alas, I drank it and noted it, so I should put in my two cents.

A: Very dark brown, pretty much black color. A surprisingly white head made for a stark contrast but receded to practically nothing quickly.

S: The smell of this beer was pungent and a little bitter, believe it or not. From a milk stout I expect a fuller aroma, and the last thing I want is something that smells sour. The sour smell, mixed with "milk" stout, just conjures the image that this beer went bad.

T: Sadly, the taste is worse than the smell. While I may like my chicken sweet and sour from time to time, I never want my beer that way. While the sour taste isn't exactly strong, it is the most prominent taste. There is a sweetness to accompany the sourness, and this really only serves to augment the sourness.

M: For a beer of this color, it's rather thin and bubbly. More carbonation than I expected, which I wouldn't necessarily take points off for, but when ordering any sort of stout, I expect a fuller mouth feel than this. Honestly, it was thinner than the average brown ale.

O: I'm really sorry, Straight to Ale, but I have to mark this beer pretty low. I love you guys and your beer, especially living in Huntsville, but this was not a success. I dearly hope that I just got a bad batch or something.

bramsdell, Sep 07, 2011

Watdatsmelike, Feb 07, 2013

emottram, Apr 04, 2013

esteeze, Aug 18, 2013
2.71/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Based on the review before mine, I must have one of the over-carbed cans as well.

A- poured into a pint glass, when I poured the first 1/3 of the can into the glass, it consisted of 75% foam. Took nearly 10 minutes to get the entire beer in the glass. Once it settled down it had a dark tan foamy head with no lace, dark brown in color.

S- roasted and grainy malt with a touch of chocolate, slight metallic finish

T- metallic taste follows the nose, however underneath there is a nice sugary-milky sweetness that complements the roasted chocolate notes pretty well, finish is sweet with more chocolate. There's some good flavors in here, they're just not meshing.

M- medium body, high carbonation, fizzy mouthfeel and finish. This has got to be over-carbed.

O- perhaps the bad batch, this one has potential but everything seems just a bit off. Might give this one another try if I see it again.

Treyliff, Apr 04, 2013
2.88/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz can into a Gandhi-Bot tulip. The can almost blew up on the car ride back from Alabama, which I've never seen before - all my other beer was fine. A little nervous about cracking this one.

A: Despite a couple weeks in the fridge this is one of the most overcarbonated beers I've ever had - even a super slow, delicate pour down the side of the glass fills 90% of the tulip with frothy tan foam. On the plus side, the head is dense enough to stand up a full inch above the rim without even a chance of overflowing, but on the downside it takes fully 10 minutes just to empty the can. Even after all that head, though, there's no lace. Disappointing.

S: Not bad here, with a pleasant mixture of dark chocolate, brownie batter, lactose, and some nuttiness. Pretty intense for a 5% beer, with a good balance of sweetness and roastiness. Solid.

T: Not nearly as good here, sadly, with a strong metallic streak marring an otherwise middle-of-the-road Milk Stout. There's still some nice dark chocolate maltiness and a good bit of coffee bitterness on the finish, but the harsh metallic aftertaste just thins things out and makes the overall experience a little bit of a chore.

M: Still highly carbonated, which I'm ok with. Sometimes a beer that explodes into a huge head winds up feeling thin and flat, but this has maintained a decently creamy (if not terribly thick) mouthfeel.

O: Even if this weren't overcarbonated it would only be about average. I'm always happy to try a new canned craft beer, but I'm glad I didn't get a sixpack. Straight to Ale brews some tasty beers, but I can't recommend this one.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Sep 06, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

16 ounce pint - Flying Saucer Draught Emporium in Nashville, Tennessee.

Appearance: Pours out a dark brown body crowned with a inch-high pillow of tan froth.

Smell: Weak, placid notes giving you just a little impression of roast, toast, and near-the-expiration-date milk. Not much going on here, frankly.

Taste: Blackened malt, some lighter toasty accents with just the teensiest pinch of chocolate powder. Light sweetness. A touch of fruit, bitter, and milk character. Just a little roast on the bland, albeit clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium, bubbly carbonation.

Overall: Straight to Eh.

ChainGangGuy, Sep 29, 2012

Texasfan549, May 30, 2013

Bcarson7287, Apr 14, 2013

thegerm87, Jan 25, 2013
3.26/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 12 oz can into pilsner glass at local restaurant.

A: Very dark brown to black with 3 finger creamy tan head. Some initial lacing, but faded as I drank.

S: A bit weak. Some roasted malts with a bit of coffee. I was hoping for more prominent flavors in the nose, but nothing doing.

T: Dark roasted coffee with a bit of bitter chocolate. Some underlying sweetness but not as much as I would expect from a milk stout.

M: A bit thinner and more carbonated than I was expecting. It wasn't unpleasant, but I was hoping for more creaminess and fuller body.

O: Good stout especially for a local choice, but not near the best in class.

richj1970, Feb 11, 2013
3.26/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out black with a super thick light brown head. It didn't explode out of the can like some of these reviews, but a gentle pour into a tulip still creates a ton of head.

Smell isn't very impressive, little bit of toasted coffee and malt. Not bad, but mediocre at best.

Taste is hard to read. No chocolate notes, not much of a burnt coffee flavor. It's so carbonated, I didn't even get the lactose flavor.

Way over carbonated. The carbonation really ruined this beer for me.

Overall, I'm a big chocolate/oatmeal stout fan, and this just wasn't anything I expected from a milk stout.

JDJ, Mar 25, 2014
3.28/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: First of all, what the fuck is going on with the artwork on this can? Geez, that is some disturbing shit. Next, this can has given me a first. I've never experienced a gusher from a can before. I guess, for some reason, I never thought it was possible. Apparently it is. As for the beer itself, I attempted to pour it into a pint glass, but the glass immediately filled with foamy, dark tan colored head. Fifteen minutes later, I've got a couple of inches of black beer in the bottom on my glass and thin, patchy, fizzy surface coating. No lacing.
We're not off to a good start here, Lily Flagg.

S: Well, the aroma does get better, but it's not great. Cola, cocoa, coffee, and all combined with a fairly strong metallic ting.

T: Taste is much nicer, if not overly impressive. Mildly sweet milk chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee. A bit of a metallic taste on the finish.

M: On the heavier side of medium in body. Higher carbonation; actually this is quite overcarbonated for the style. A bit chalky. Dry on the finish.

O: I've got to admit, one thing that really pisses me off is pouring a beer into a glass and getting a glass full of foam, meaning that instead of me being able to enjoy my beer, I've got to sit around with my thumb up my ass while I wait for the head to recede to normal-beer levels. And this beer certainly gave me a glass full of foam. Then there was the metallic smell and taste. I don't think it was from the can itself, but rather, the overcarbonation of this beer. Overall, a decent milk stout. Definitely has potential even if it missed the mark this time around.

Florida9, Jun 06, 2013