Lily Flagg Milk Stout - Straight To Ale

Beer added by: Todd on 04-21-2010

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 192 | Reviews: 43
2.31/5  rDev -36.7%

I'm not sure if this was a bad batch, but this is the fourth can that I opened from a six-pack, and all have nearly exploded once popped open. For this fourth one, I gingerly opened it, but still loads of foam came rushing out. The head, of which there's a ton, is dark tan. The beer is a very dark brown. Slight metallic smell, some chocolate notes and roasted malt. As with the others from this six-pack, I had to let the beer sit for a while after I poured it into a pint glass before tasting. Even after the head went down (which took a good 10 minutes and multiple smaller pours so it didn't overflow), the beer is overly carbonated. Tasting is hampered by the thin beer expanding through carbonation in the mouth - it's like I had a sip of beer and then threw back some alka seltzer. Bitter chocolate, mineral, some hickory flavors. Disappointing.

2.36/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served on tap at the Nook into a standard pint glass. Just to be clear, I have loved all Straight to Ale beers insofar and this review disappoints me. Alas, I drank it and noted it, so I should put in my two cents.

A: Very dark brown, pretty much black color. A surprisingly white head made for a stark contrast but receded to practically nothing quickly.

S: The smell of this beer was pungent and a little bitter, believe it or not. From a milk stout I expect a fuller aroma, and the last thing I want is something that smells sour. The sour smell, mixed with "milk" stout, just conjures the image that this beer went bad.

T: Sadly, the taste is worse than the smell. While I may like my chicken sweet and sour from time to time, I never want my beer that way. While the sour taste isn't exactly strong, it is the most prominent taste. There is a sweetness to accompany the sourness, and this really only serves to augment the sourness.

M: For a beer of this color, it's rather thin and bubbly. More carbonation than I expected, which I wouldn't necessarily take points off for, but when ordering any sort of stout, I expect a fuller mouth feel than this. Honestly, it was thinner than the average brown ale.

O: I'm really sorry, Straight to Ale, but I have to mark this beer pretty low. I love you guys and your beer, especially living in Huntsville, but this was not a success. I dearly hope that I just got a bad batch or something.

2.57/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

This is not a good milk stout. It's oddly over carbonated which masks the texture you would expect from a milk stout. Avoid at all costs.

2.72/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Based on the review before mine, I must have one of the over-carbed cans as well.

A- poured into a pint glass, when I poured the first 1/3 of the can into the glass, it consisted of 75% foam. Took nearly 10 minutes to get the entire beer in the glass. Once it settled down it had a dark tan foamy head with no lace, dark brown in color.

S- roasted and grainy malt with a touch of chocolate, slight metallic finish

T- metallic taste follows the nose, however underneath there is a nice sugary-milky sweetness that complements the roasted chocolate notes pretty well, finish is sweet with more chocolate. There's some good flavors in here, they're just not meshing.

M- medium body, high carbonation, fizzy mouthfeel and finish. This has got to be over-carbed.

O- perhaps the bad batch, this one has potential but everything seems just a bit off. Might give this one another try if I see it again.

2.76/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 ounce can into a can-shaped glass.

The pour produces tons of frothy oatmeal-colored head. It settles into a sudsy lace over the pitch-black body. 4.25

Not feeling this nose at all. Smells of Belgian yeast like a dubbel. What? Where's the milk? Where's the chocolate malt? 2

Still tasting Belgian yeast here, as in it's very pronounced and floral. Tastes out of place in a coffee stout but at least I'm getting some dark chocolate and coffee flavors here. 3

It's thin bodied and the yeast figures prominently. Points for being easy-drinking and a dry, coffee-like, roasted feeling, but this beer feels like it's confused as to what it wants to be. 2.75

A bit of a disappointment. Expectations weren't high but this still managed to disappoint.

2.91/5  rDev -20.3%

16 ounce pint - Flying Saucer Draught Emporium in Nashville, Tennessee.

Appearance: Pours out a dark brown body crowned with a inch-high pillow of tan froth.

Smell: Weak, placid notes giving you just a little impression of roast, toast, and near-the-expiration-date milk. Not much going on here, frankly.

Taste: Blackened malt, some lighter toasty accents with just the teensiest pinch of chocolate powder. Light sweetness. A touch of fruit, bitter, and milk character. Just a little roast on the bland, albeit clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium, bubbly carbonation.

Overall: Straight to Eh.

2.92/5  rDev -20%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz can into a Gandhi-Bot tulip. The can almost blew up on the car ride back from Alabama, which I've never seen before - all my other beer was fine. A little nervous about cracking this one.

A: Despite a couple weeks in the fridge this is one of the most overcarbonated beers I've ever had - even a super slow, delicate pour down the side of the glass fills 90% of the tulip with frothy tan foam. On the plus side, the head is dense enough to stand up a full inch above the rim without even a chance of overflowing, but on the downside it takes fully 10 minutes just to empty the can. Even after all that head, though, there's no lace. Disappointing.

S: Not bad here, with a pleasant mixture of dark chocolate, brownie batter, lactose, and some nuttiness. Pretty intense for a 5% beer, with a good balance of sweetness and roastiness. Solid.

T: Not nearly as good here, sadly, with a strong metallic streak marring an otherwise middle-of-the-road Milk Stout. There's still some nice dark chocolate maltiness and a good bit of coffee bitterness on the finish, but the harsh metallic aftertaste just thins things out and makes the overall experience a little bit of a chore.

M: Still highly carbonated, which I'm ok with. Sometimes a beer that explodes into a huge head winds up feeling thin and flat, but this has maintained a decently creamy (if not terribly thick) mouthfeel.

O: Even if this weren't overcarbonated it would only be about average. I'm always happy to try a new canned craft beer, but I'm glad I didn't get a sixpack. Straight to Ale brews some tasty beers, but I can't recommend this one.

Cheers!

3.22/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out black with a super thick light brown head. It didn't explode out of the can like some of these reviews, but a gentle pour into a tulip still creates a ton of head.

Smell isn't very impressive, little bit of toasted coffee and malt. Not bad, but mediocre at best.

Taste is hard to read. No chocolate notes, not much of a burnt coffee flavor. It's so carbonated, I didn't even get the lactose flavor.

Way over carbonated. The carbonation really ruined this beer for me.

Overall, I'm a big chocolate/oatmeal stout fan, and this just wasn't anything I expected from a milk stout.

3.25/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: First of all, what the fuck is going on with the artwork on this can? Geez, that is some disturbing shit. Next, this can has given me a first. I've never experienced a gusher from a can before. I guess, for some reason, I never thought it was possible. Apparently it is. As for the beer itself, I attempted to pour it into a pint glass, but the glass immediately filled with foamy, dark tan colored head. Fifteen minutes later, I've got a couple of inches of black beer in the bottom on my glass and thin, patchy, fizzy surface coating. No lacing.
We're not off to a good start here, Lily Flagg.

S: Well, the aroma does get better, but it's not great. Cola, cocoa, coffee, and all combined with a fairly strong metallic ting.

T: Taste is much nicer, if not overly impressive. Mildly sweet milk chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee. A bit of a metallic taste on the finish.

M: On the heavier side of medium in body. Higher carbonation; actually this is quite overcarbonated for the style. A bit chalky. Dry on the finish.

O: I've got to admit, one thing that really pisses me off is pouring a beer into a glass and getting a glass full of foam, meaning that instead of me being able to enjoy my beer, I've got to sit around with my thumb up my ass while I wait for the head to recede to normal-beer levels. And this beer certainly gave me a glass full of foam. Then there was the metallic smell and taste. I don't think it was from the can itself, but rather, the overcarbonation of this beer. Overall, a decent milk stout. Definitely has potential even if it missed the mark this time around.

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 12 oz can into pilsner glass at local restaurant.

A: Very dark brown to black with 3 finger creamy tan head. Some initial lacing, but faded as I drank.

S: A bit weak. Some roasted malts with a bit of coffee. I was hoping for more prominent flavors in the nose, but nothing doing.

T: Dark roasted coffee with a bit of bitter chocolate. Some underlying sweetness but not as much as I would expect from a milk stout.

M: A bit thinner and more carbonated than I was expecting. It wasn't unpleasant, but I was hoping for more creaminess and fuller body.

O: Good stout especially for a local choice, but not near the best in class.

3.39/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Cypress Street pub (ATL),
Opaque black with a good, fairly durable head.
Aroma: mild; lightly sweet; toffee and roasted grains.
Flavor: dark roasted grains. Light sweetness is about average for style, excepting perhaps the lightly sweet aftertaste.

3.46/5  rDev -5.2%

ST: I first had this beer on tap and liked it immediately. It's still perfectly good from a can.

AP: Dark and heavy with a nice head after you pour it into a glass.

SM: Reforming smoker... :( Will comment more on the smell after I've been a non-smoker for a few months.

TA: I greatly enjoy the taste of this beer. It's not too bitter.

MF: Very smooth and drinkable.

O: My favorite milk stout.

3.47/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

served on-tap @ The Alcove, Tuscaloosa AL, into a mason jar

Pours a pretty standard black color. Most milk stouts are pretty black and opaque, and this is no exception. What holds this score back then is the lack of head. It wasn't misexecution on the part of the bartender; I watched the bartender pour this beer. There just wasn't any head coming from this beer. Just wisps of camel hide brown foam.

The aroma and flavor mirror each other very well. It's conventional for the milk stout style: light roast, a bit of raisin, some breadiness, a touch of chocolate, and of course that lactose sweetness. This beer does nothing unexpected. It earns above-average marks because of its balance. It tastes good; everything works with each other.

It isn't awfully thick, but it does have a good heft to it for the style. I wish it were a little bit more mouth-coating, but the mouthfeel works.

Overall, this is an above-average milk stout. This is the least-impressive beer that I've had from Straight to Ale.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Slight taste of chocolate with a punch of coffee. Very smooth and great for IPA drinkers.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

On tap at The Nook in Huntsville, Al

A : Solid black. Even held up to the light nothing penetrates this. A huge two finger dirty brown head.

S : Large notes of mocha, some coffee, milk.

T : The sweet milk dominates with a hint of sour lactose. Coffee/mocha comes in on the end lightly.

M : Surprisingly medium bodied for a sout, not dry at all on the finish. Creamy as expected in feel.

D : The medium body to this stout makes it a ease to drink in comparison to some others. I'd like a bit more dryness to the end however.

3.54/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can poured into snifter

A - dark black with an unrelenting towering khaki head, average retention, and small amounts of lacing

S - a very weak nose. I detect just a bit of milk chocolate, not much else.

T - chocolate milk, coffee, and some metallic notes. Finish has the slightest hint of roasted nuts.

M - Extremely carbonated, slight aftertaste

O - okay but compared to Moo Hoo, I chose Moo Hoo.

3.54/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

From a 12 oz can into a pint glass, "pitch brown" color with one finger brown cap, slow fade with good retention. Nose of coffee, chocolate and dark toasted/burnt malt. In the mouth milk chocolate and coffee flavors; tasty. Mouth is good, creamy, watery, bubbly, silky smooth. Overall, decent, smooth, drinkable. Not an especially remarkable milk stout but overall a good effort.

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Babalus Tacos, Jackson, MS,

A: Very dark brown with a tan one finger head that dissipates slowly. Frothy lacing.

S: Not a strong smell, but I'm picking up traces of coffee, chocolate, cocoa and vanilla.

T: Follows nose with a pleasant milky smoothness. Semi-sweet. A slightly harsh finish that doesn't offend. Very sessionable.

M: Medium with medium carbonation. A nice fizziness on the tongue.

O: Not bad, not great. A decent milk stout, but I've had better. Would go well with a brownie or chocolate chip cookie.

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Growler Fill at FMcD's. I think these guys are pretty new to the Nashville area.

A: Pours oily and black. Thin brown bubbles filter up to an inch thick dark brown head. Looks frothy, thick, and full.

S: Coffee rinds, milk chocolate, smoke, and bready grains.

T: Milk chocolate sweetness up front with lingering flavors of bitter espresso, licorice, and burnt toast. Some dry, grainy qualities (like an irish dry stout possibly)? Finishes thin and dry.

M: Lightbodied, slick and oily, little carbonation. Flows smoothly and leaves a lingering coating on your tongue.

O: Overall a good example of the style. Solid flavoring and body. Will have no problem finishing off this growler and looking forward to trying more from Huntsville.

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

No label information. Lily Flagg is brewed in the style of a Milk/Sweet Stout. Available year round in 12 oz. canned 6 packs and on draft.

Poured from a 12 oz. can to a pint glass. Served above 58 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a frothy crisp toasted mocha head over a very dark cola brown, near black body. Retention is below average and lacing is light and spotty. 3

(Smell) The malt aroma generates plenty of moderate roasted barley up front with secondary notes of cocoa and black coffee. While there is a moderate lactose sweetness among the malt profile, it does not immediately stand out that this beer is considered a milk stout. Potency is moderate. 3.5

(Taste) Flavors of medium roasted barley, toasted caramel grain, a pinch of black patent, cocoa nibs and earthy, acidic coffee bean with a soft lactose sweetness, well balanced by the earthy roast flavors and slightly less sweet overall than many milk stouts generally are. Delicate undertones of dark fruit. Slightly dry with a lingering note of cold acidic roast trailing the finish. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) The texture is light oily slick, creamy smooth and mildly dry. Carbonation is moderate, generating a medium frothiness and a softly crisp finish. Body is medium+ for the style, medium/heavy overall. Balance is slightly earthy bitter with roast over sweet. Alcohol presence is low and there are no off characters. 4

(Overall) Lily Flagg is a milk stout more in texture than in flavor, as I got more flavors of roasted malt and toasted caramel than lactose sweetness and chocolate. The texture itself is enjoyable; creamy, frothy and very smooth. Despite not falling directly in line with the milk stout guidelines, I enjoyed the sweetness balancing with the roasted malts, favoring this slightly over a more traditional example of a sweet milk stout. The drinkability is decent for this beer overall thanks to the closer balance, although still filling as stouts happen to be, I could only manage one or two of these as they sit fairly heavy. 3.75

Straight To Ale's
Lily Flagg Milk Stout
3.67/5.00

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can
Served in a nonic pint glass

I will preface this review disclosing that I was warned that this beer could possibly be overcarbonated.

A - This beer is dark. I held it to the light and nothing came through. Once the initial gushing of foam subsided I was left with three fingers of mocha colored head.

S - I get some roasted malt and lactose. The combination of those aromas creates a milk chocolate smell.

T - The taste does not remind me of milk chocolate. The taste is similar to a cup of coffee with some cream in it.

M - It is medium bodied with some prickly carbonation on my tongue.

O - It is a decent beer. The overcarbonation was a minor nuisance, but I did not spill a drop. I would like to try this on tap sometime. I think it would taste great out of a keg.

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving type: Can

Appearance: Poured nice and dark with a nice head that quickly dissipates to lacing then down to a barely there ring.
Smell: Bit of sweet coffee, bit of wood. The smell here is sadly light.
Taste: The taste is good with coffee and a bit of cocoa. A bit nutty as well (pecans would be my guess). Slightly marred by a metallic after taste. I want to investigate this further from a tap.
Mouth feel: 3..25 Nothing wrong with it at all. Not a mouth-coating chewer like you'd get from a standard stout but pleasant.
Overall: 3.5 A couple of faults hold this back from being truly excellent but very drinkable and pleasant. Not particularly challenging but an easy good time from my home town, which counts for a bit in my book.

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%

Interesting. Tasted as if there was some type of weak liquor in it. Not a bad thing, but not what I was expecting. Left Hand is better

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

16 ounce pint at Flying Saucer Draught Emporium in Nashville, Tennessee.
Dark, deep brown liquid (not quite black) , with an inch tan foam. Good retention, left chunky
lace.
Smell was not as strong as expected, roasted malt, maybe a hint of cocoa.
Taste of charred malt, some chocolate, clean finish.
Mouth feel and body are medium (lighter than expected) good carbonation.
Good enough, but less overall flavor than I had hoped for.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Served on tap at Mellow Mushroom in southeast Huntsville, AL

A: black as night, with a decent caramel head that lasted for awhile and lingered on the glass. A nice presentation.

S: light roast with some coffee tones.

T: not as thick or as sweet as I expected; other than some light coffee flavor, nothing remarkable nor bad. Went down very easily.

M: decent feel and heft with "fizzy" carbonation, almost like seltzer has; bit different than I expected, but not unpleasant.

O: a respectable beer that I would definitely order again at the bar.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »