Lily Flagg Milk Stout - Straight To Ale

good

Straight To Ale visit their website
Alabama, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 04-21-2010)
3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Texasfan549, May 30, 2013

kjkinsey, Jun 06, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -19.9%

16 ounce pint - Flying Saucer Draught Emporium in Nashville, Tennessee.

Appearance: Pours out a dark brown body crowned with a inch-high pillow of tan froth.

Smell: Weak, placid notes giving you just a little impression of roast, toast, and near-the-expiration-date milk. Not much going on here, frankly.

Taste: Blackened malt, some lighter toasty accents with just the teensiest pinch of chocolate powder. Light sweetness. A touch of fruit, bitter, and milk character. Just a little roast on the bland, albeit clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium, bubbly carbonation.

Overall: Straight to Eh.

ChainGangGuy, Sep 29, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

zeff80, Sep 16, 2014

Georgiabeer, Sep 28, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Cypress Street pub (ATL),
Opaque black with a good, fairly durable head.
Aroma: mild; lightly sweet; toffee and roasted grains.
Flavor: dark roasted grains. Light sweetness is about average for style, excepting perhaps the lightly sweet aftertaste.

chinchill, Oct 01, 2014

rolltide8425, Mar 16, 2013

harpus, Oct 10, 2014

WoodBrew, Aug 06, 2014

AlexFields, Feb 03, 2013

atlbravsrno1, Sep 03, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz can into a Gandhi-Bot tulip. The can almost blew up on the car ride back from Alabama, which I've never seen before - all my other beer was fine. A little nervous about cracking this one.

A: Despite a couple weeks in the fridge this is one of the most overcarbonated beers I've ever had - even a super slow, delicate pour down the side of the glass fills 90% of the tulip with frothy tan foam. On the plus side, the head is dense enough to stand up a full inch above the rim without even a chance of overflowing, but on the downside it takes fully 10 minutes just to empty the can. Even after all that head, though, there's no lace. Disappointing.

S: Not bad here, with a pleasant mixture of dark chocolate, brownie batter, lactose, and some nuttiness. Pretty intense for a 5% beer, with a good balance of sweetness and roastiness. Solid.

T: Not nearly as good here, sadly, with a strong metallic streak marring an otherwise middle-of-the-road Milk Stout. There's still some nice dark chocolate maltiness and a good bit of coffee bitterness on the finish, but the harsh metallic aftertaste just thins things out and makes the overall experience a little bit of a chore.

M: Still highly carbonated, which I'm ok with. Sometimes a beer that explodes into a huge head winds up feeling thin and flat, but this has maintained a decently creamy (if not terribly thick) mouthfeel.

O: Even if this weren't overcarbonated it would only be about average. I'm always happy to try a new canned craft beer, but I'm glad I didn't get a sixpack. Straight to Ale brews some tasty beers, but I can't recommend this one.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Sep 06, 2013

thatoneguymike, May 07, 2014

mhaugo, Dec 18, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: First of all, what the fuck is going on with the artwork on this can? Geez, that is some disturbing shit. Next, this can has given me a first. I've never experienced a gusher from a can before. I guess, for some reason, I never thought it was possible. Apparently it is. As for the beer itself, I attempted to pour it into a pint glass, but the glass immediately filled with foamy, dark tan colored head. Fifteen minutes later, I've got a couple of inches of black beer in the bottom on my glass and thin, patchy, fizzy surface coating. No lacing.
We're not off to a good start here, Lily Flagg.

S: Well, the aroma does get better, but it's not great. Cola, cocoa, coffee, and all combined with a fairly strong metallic ting.

T: Taste is much nicer, if not overly impressive. Mildly sweet milk chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee. A bit of a metallic taste on the finish.

M: On the heavier side of medium in body. Higher carbonation; actually this is quite overcarbonated for the style. A bit chalky. Dry on the finish.

O: I've got to admit, one thing that really pisses me off is pouring a beer into a glass and getting a glass full of foam, meaning that instead of me being able to enjoy my beer, I've got to sit around with my thumb up my ass while I wait for the head to recede to normal-beer levels. And this beer certainly gave me a glass full of foam. Then there was the metallic smell and taste. I don't think it was from the can itself, but rather, the overcarbonation of this beer. Overall, a decent milk stout. Definitely has potential even if it missed the mark this time around.

Florida9, Jun 06, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

AgentMunky, Jun 13, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

thegerm87, Jan 25, 2013

thewimperoo, Feb 09, 2013

hilgart1, Apr 25, 2014
4.04/5  rDev +10.4%

12oz can - born on date was distorted, but some time in 2014.

A - Pitch black, one finger tan head that dissipates to a collar and left no lacing.

S - Chocolate and caramel with a light roast. Zero hop character.

T - Big roast-coffee character bordering on astringent. Not a ton of residual sweetness.

M - My palate could be off today but the body is just a hair on the light sight, bordering on porter territory. English style high carbonate water profile comes through though.

O - Great brew, very true to style.

Zach136, Jun 10, 2014
3.69/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can
Served in a nonic pint glass

I will preface this review disclosing that I was warned that this beer could possibly be overcarbonated.

A - This beer is dark. I held it to the light and nothing came through. Once the initial gushing of foam subsided I was left with three fingers of mocha colored head.

S - I get some roasted malt and lactose. The combination of those aromas creates a milk chocolate smell.

T - The taste does not remind me of milk chocolate. The taste is similar to a cup of coffee with some cream in it.

M - It is medium bodied with some prickly carbonation on my tongue.

O - It is a decent beer. The overcarbonation was a minor nuisance, but I did not spill a drop. I would like to try this on tap sometime. I think it would taste great out of a keg.

buschbeer, Apr 07, 2013

JamesS, Aug 15, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

16 ounce pint at Flying Saucer Draught Emporium in Nashville, Tennessee.
Dark, deep brown liquid (not quite black) , with an inch tan foam. Good retention, left chunky
lace.
Smell was not as strong as expected, roasted malt, maybe a hint of cocoa.
Taste of charred malt, some chocolate, clean finish.
Mouth feel and body are medium (lighter than expected) good carbonation.
Good enough, but less overall flavor than I had hoped for.

BigBry, Oct 14, 2014