Lily Flagg Milk Stout - Straight To Ale

Beer added by: Todd on 04-21-2010

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 192 | Reviews: 43
3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a pitch black color as do most stouts. Thick, toffee colored white head that dissipates at a moderate rate. Leaves no lacing. Smells of lactose and sweet chocolate. I'm also sensing some light roasted coffee and toasted almonds. Taste follows the nose, mostly. Coffee with whole milk in it and some added sweetener. It almost mimics that taste to a T. Mouthfeel is a bit carbonated and prickly. Body is watery and unimpressive. Overall, a decent brew. Smells fantastic, tastes good, but has a weak body. Try it if you find it.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can
Served in a nonic pint glass

I will preface this review disclosing that I was warned that this beer could possibly be overcarbonated.

A - This beer is dark. I held it to the light and nothing came through. Once the initial gushing of foam subsided I was left with three fingers of mocha colored head.

S - I get some roasted malt and lactose. The combination of those aromas creates a milk chocolate smell.

T - The taste does not remind me of milk chocolate. The taste is similar to a cup of coffee with some cream in it.

M - It is medium bodied with some prickly carbonation on my tongue.

O - It is a decent beer. The overcarbonation was a minor nuisance, but I did not spill a drop. I would like to try this on tap sometime. I think it would taste great out of a keg.

2.72/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Based on the review before mine, I must have one of the over-carbed cans as well.

A- poured into a pint glass, when I poured the first 1/3 of the can into the glass, it consisted of 75% foam. Took nearly 10 minutes to get the entire beer in the glass. Once it settled down it had a dark tan foamy head with no lace, dark brown in color.

S- roasted and grainy malt with a touch of chocolate, slight metallic finish

T- metallic taste follows the nose, however underneath there is a nice sugary-milky sweetness that complements the roasted chocolate notes pretty well, finish is sweet with more chocolate. There's some good flavors in here, they're just not meshing.

M- medium body, high carbonation, fizzy mouthfeel and finish. This has got to be over-carbed.

O- perhaps the bad batch, this one has potential but everything seems just a bit off. Might give this one another try if I see it again.

2.31/5  rDev -36.7%

I'm not sure if this was a bad batch, but this is the fourth can that I opened from a six-pack, and all have nearly exploded once popped open. For this fourth one, I gingerly opened it, but still loads of foam came rushing out. The head, of which there's a ton, is dark tan. The beer is a very dark brown. Slight metallic smell, some chocolate notes and roasted malt. As with the others from this six-pack, I had to let the beer sit for a while after I poured it into a pint glass before tasting. Even after the head went down (which took a good 10 minutes and multiple smaller pours so it didn't overflow), the beer is overly carbonated. Tasting is hampered by the thin beer expanding through carbonation in the mouth - it's like I had a sip of beer and then threw back some alka seltzer. Bitter chocolate, mineral, some hickory flavors. Disappointing.

3.46/5  rDev -5.2%

ST: I first had this beer on tap and liked it immediately. It's still perfectly good from a can.

AP: Dark and heavy with a nice head after you pour it into a glass.

SM: Reforming smoker... :( Will comment more on the smell after I've been a non-smoker for a few months.

TA: I greatly enjoy the taste of this beer. It's not too bitter.

MF: Very smooth and drinkable.

O: My favorite milk stout.

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 12 oz can into pilsner glass at local restaurant.

A: Very dark brown to black with 3 finger creamy tan head. Some initial lacing, but faded as I drank.

S: A bit weak. Some roasted malts with a bit of coffee. I was hoping for more prominent flavors in the nose, but nothing doing.

T: Dark roasted coffee with a bit of bitter chocolate. Some underlying sweetness but not as much as I would expect from a milk stout.

M: A bit thinner and more carbonated than I was expecting. It wasn't unpleasant, but I was hoping for more creaminess and fuller body.

O: Good stout especially for a local choice, but not near the best in class.

4.09/5  rDev +12.1%

a - poured a two-fingers thick creamy, coffee-colored head into a nonic glass that disappeared halfway through the beer. the body was dark black with brown edges.
s - lactose, coffee, chocolate. very sweet smelling.
t - lactose with a hint of roasted chocolate.
m - creamy and medium mouthfeel.
o - looks like i'm the first to review this in a can (it came out a couple of weeks ago) and this is a really good milk stout. not quite left hand but what is?

2.91/5  rDev -20.3%

16 ounce pint - Flying Saucer Draught Emporium in Nashville, Tennessee.

Appearance: Pours out a dark brown body crowned with a inch-high pillow of tan froth.

Smell: Weak, placid notes giving you just a little impression of roast, toast, and near-the-expiration-date milk. Not much going on here, frankly.

Taste: Blackened malt, some lighter toasty accents with just the teensiest pinch of chocolate powder. Light sweetness. A touch of fruit, bitter, and milk character. Just a little roast on the bland, albeit clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium, bubbly carbonation.

Overall: Straight to Eh.

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Growler Fill at FMcD's. I think these guys are pretty new to the Nashville area.

A: Pours oily and black. Thin brown bubbles filter up to an inch thick dark brown head. Looks frothy, thick, and full.

S: Coffee rinds, milk chocolate, smoke, and bready grains.

T: Milk chocolate sweetness up front with lingering flavors of bitter espresso, licorice, and burnt toast. Some dry, grainy qualities (like an irish dry stout possibly)? Finishes thin and dry.

M: Lightbodied, slick and oily, little carbonation. Flows smoothly and leaves a lingering coating on your tongue.

O: Overall a good example of the style. Solid flavoring and body. Will have no problem finishing off this growler and looking forward to trying more from Huntsville.

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Had at Mellow Mushroom, Huntsville from the tap. (Had a few weeks ago)

A - Deep, dark, malty color. Great thick head.

S - Smells subtley of sweet chocolate and coffee.

T - Smooth creamy taste. Very smooth and mouthwatering. Sticks around for awhile.

M - The right amount of thickness and leaves a lovely tasting coating.

O - Never thought my hometown could make a creation this great. This is in my top 3 of favorite beers - along with Left Hand Milk Stout and Thomas Creek Deepwater (for perspective).

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Served on tap at Mellow Mushroom in southeast Huntsville, AL

A: black as night, with a decent caramel head that lasted for awhile and lingered on the glass. A nice presentation.

S: light roast with some coffee tones.

T: not as thick or as sweet as I expected; other than some light coffee flavor, nothing remarkable nor bad. Went down very easily.

M: decent feel and heft with "fizzy" carbonation, almost like seltzer has; bit different than I expected, but not unpleasant.

O: a respectable beer that I would definitely order again at the bar.

3.47/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

served on-tap @ The Alcove, Tuscaloosa AL, into a mason jar

Pours a pretty standard black color. Most milk stouts are pretty black and opaque, and this is no exception. What holds this score back then is the lack of head. It wasn't misexecution on the part of the bartender; I watched the bartender pour this beer. There just wasn't any head coming from this beer. Just wisps of camel hide brown foam.

The aroma and flavor mirror each other very well. It's conventional for the milk stout style: light roast, a bit of raisin, some breadiness, a touch of chocolate, and of course that lactose sweetness. This beer does nothing unexpected. It earns above-average marks because of its balance. It tastes good; everything works with each other.

It isn't awfully thick, but it does have a good heft to it for the style. I wish it were a little bit more mouth-coating, but the mouthfeel works.

Overall, this is an above-average milk stout. This is the least-impressive beer that I've had from Straight to Ale.

4.14/5  rDev +13.4%

Tasted On: 12-22-2011
Freshness: Unknown
Packaging: Draft
Glassware: Goblet
Purchased: On tap at the Nook, Nashville

A: Appearance is a black, opaque beer, served with almost no head.

S: Aromas are of roasted malts and espresso.

T: The taste is a pleasing balance of sweetness from the lactose and the bittering from the heavily roasted grains. Other flavors include chocolate and coffee.

M: Creamy mouthfeel, with a medium body, with a moderate amount of carbonation. Finishes lightly sweet with an aftertaste of coffee.

O: Overall an excellent milk stout from Straight to Ale. I'd highly recommend this one.

2.36/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served on tap at the Nook into a standard pint glass. Just to be clear, I have loved all Straight to Ale beers insofar and this review disappoints me. Alas, I drank it and noted it, so I should put in my two cents.

A: Very dark brown, pretty much black color. A surprisingly white head made for a stark contrast but receded to practically nothing quickly.

S: The smell of this beer was pungent and a little bitter, believe it or not. From a milk stout I expect a fuller aroma, and the last thing I want is something that smells sour. The sour smell, mixed with "milk" stout, just conjures the image that this beer went bad.

T: Sadly, the taste is worse than the smell. While I may like my chicken sweet and sour from time to time, I never want my beer that way. While the sour taste isn't exactly strong, it is the most prominent taste. There is a sweetness to accompany the sourness, and this really only serves to augment the sourness.

M: For a beer of this color, it's rather thin and bubbly. More carbonation than I expected, which I wouldn't necessarily take points off for, but when ordering any sort of stout, I expect a fuller mouth feel than this. Honestly, it was thinner than the average brown ale.

O: I'm really sorry, Straight to Ale, but I have to mark this beer pretty low. I love you guys and your beer, especially living in Huntsville, but this was not a success. I dearly hope that I just got a bad batch or something.

3.91/5  rDev +7.1%

My favorite from the three I tried on tap in Decatur, Alabama's the Brick by this brewery. It was a thick, dark black color with a nice mocha colored head that faded slowly and left nice lace. The smell was of roasted malt, coffee, cocoa, chocolate and sweet caramel. The taste followed the nose with caramels, chocolate, coffee and a hint of earthy hops in the back. It was simple, but well done. Milky, creamy body made it go down smooth.

4.78/5  rDev +31%

Purchased this beer in a half-gallon growler from liquor express in Huntsville. Great, smooth drinking beer, surprisingly easy to drink and not overwhelmingly filling given how dark it is. Proof that a beer doesn't have to be 10% alcohol to be full of flavor.

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass.

Pours a deep, dark black. About a finger of tan, quickly dissipating head that leaves little lacing.

Smells of roasty malt and coffee dominate.
Taste follows smell pretty closely. Getting a good bit of coffee coming through.

Mouthfeel is medium. Nice and creamy.

Fairly drinkable, I will down several of these and, as a quite good local beer, I will be back for more!

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

On tap at The Nook in Huntsville, Al

A : Solid black. Even held up to the light nothing penetrates this. A huge two finger dirty brown head.

S : Large notes of mocha, some coffee, milk.

T : The sweet milk dominates with a hint of sour lactose. Coffee/mocha comes in on the end lightly.

M : Surprisingly medium bodied for a sout, not dry at all on the finish. Creamy as expected in feel.

D : The medium body to this stout makes it a ease to drink in comparison to some others. I'd like a bit more dryness to the end however.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »