Lily Flagg Milk Stout - Straight To Ale

good

Straight To Ale visit their website
Alabama, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 04-21-2010)

BrkfstOfChmpns, Nov 21, 2013

speaking_for_trees, Nov 16, 2013

Drumomatic, Nov 11, 2013

jkermitj, Oct 06, 2013

rworkman, Oct 03, 2013
4.29/5  rDev +16.6%

Can bought in Alabama last spring. One can had inflated and blown; this one is just inflated. Over-chilled to decrease foaming, but no problem. Poured into English Bass pint mug.

A: It's a stout, so, about black; nice, tight, 1" head.

S: Roast malts as appropriate, chocolate and black patent, I reckon. No hop aroma.

T: Rich and full roast malt palate; enough hop bitterness to balance nicely; no noticeable hop flavor, right for style.

M: Full, but not thick or syrupy, again, correct for style.

O: I like this beer and wish it were available in the north country.

beerdoc1, Sep 26, 2013

Drknight, Sep 22, 2013

mporter249, Sep 10, 2013
2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

12oz can into a Gandhi-Bot tulip. The can almost blew up on the car ride back from Alabama, which I've never seen before - all my other beer was fine. A little nervous about cracking this one.

A: Despite a couple weeks in the fridge this is one of the most overcarbonated beers I've ever had - even a super slow, delicate pour down the side of the glass fills 90% of the tulip with frothy tan foam. On the plus side, the head is dense enough to stand up a full inch above the rim without even a chance of overflowing, but on the downside it takes fully 10 minutes just to empty the can. Even after all that head, though, there's no lace. Disappointing.

S: Not bad here, with a pleasant mixture of dark chocolate, brownie batter, lactose, and some nuttiness. Pretty intense for a 5% beer, with a good balance of sweetness and roastiness. Solid.

T: Not nearly as good here, sadly, with a strong metallic streak marring an otherwise middle-of-the-road Milk Stout. There's still some nice dark chocolate maltiness and a good bit of coffee bitterness on the finish, but the harsh metallic aftertaste just thins things out and makes the overall experience a little bit of a chore.

M: Still highly carbonated, which I'm ok with. Sometimes a beer that explodes into a huge head winds up feeling thin and flat, but this has maintained a decently creamy (if not terribly thick) mouthfeel.

O: Even if this weren't overcarbonated it would only be about average. I'm always happy to try a new canned craft beer, but I'm glad I didn't get a sixpack. Straight to Ale brews some tasty beers, but I can't recommend this one.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Sep 06, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

esteeze, Aug 18, 2013

Akfindlay, Aug 14, 2013

ercxi, Aug 13, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

On my first trip to Huntsville I came across this brew at a little dive known as the Voodoo Lounge. Boy was I glad I did.

A nice, dark beer, it has a good appearance and decent smell. It's taste is smooth and mellow with a decent mouthfeel (low carbonation.) Overall, I consider it one of the better beers I have ever tasted and will be glad to partake of it in again, if I'm in the area. (Who knew that Alabama brews some good stuff...?)

jjamadorphd, Aug 07, 2013

TwoForty, Jun 19, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

AgentMunky, Jun 13, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -10.9%

A: First of all, what the fuck is going on with the artwork on this can? Geez, that is some disturbing shit. Next, this can has given me a first. I've never experienced a gusher from a can before. I guess, for some reason, I never thought it was possible. Apparently it is. As for the beer itself, I attempted to pour it into a pint glass, but the glass immediately filled with foamy, dark tan colored head. Fifteen minutes later, I've got a couple of inches of black beer in the bottom on my glass and thin, patchy, fizzy surface coating. No lacing.
We're not off to a good start here, Lily Flagg.

S: Well, the aroma does get better, but it's not great. Cola, cocoa, coffee, and all combined with a fairly strong metallic ting.

T: Taste is much nicer, if not overly impressive. Mildly sweet milk chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee. A bit of a metallic taste on the finish.

M: On the heavier side of medium in body. Higher carbonation; actually this is quite overcarbonated for the style. A bit chalky. Dry on the finish.

O: I've got to admit, one thing that really pisses me off is pouring a beer into a glass and getting a glass full of foam, meaning that instead of me being able to enjoy my beer, I've got to sit around with my thumb up my ass while I wait for the head to recede to normal-beer levels. And this beer certainly gave me a glass full of foam. Then there was the metallic smell and taste. I don't think it was from the can itself, but rather, the overcarbonation of this beer. Overall, a decent milk stout. Definitely has potential even if it missed the mark this time around.

Florida9, Jun 06, 2013