Monkey's Uncle IPA - Straight To Ale

Beer added by: ncfranklin on 02-04-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by MQ4188:
4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Tried this one at "The Nook" in Huntsville.

I asked the bartender if he recommended an IIPA and he didn't hesitate, Monkey's Uncle was served in a Pint glass.

The bartender stated that it was a batch that he believed had not reached the ABV for Gorillanaught.

If this was a "goof" by Straight to Ale, I hope they kept this recipe. This was one of the best tasting Imperial IPA's I have tasted this year.

I found this one really Wet Hopped probably with Simcoe, Centennial, and Cascade Hops. Much like the wet hopped Harvest Ale Sierra Nevada did this year but not quite Hoptimum's higher alcohol feel..

This one was balanced on the hop side but a smoothed out ester cut in after the first sip and then finished with a "polite" hop finish.

Really smooth though but not excessively Ester or Alcohol.

I consider this a real winner.

Lacing was ribboned on the glass in a pale - white hue.

This would be a "hopheads" dream.

Not sure of the ABV or IBUs but I will take a guess at 7.5 - 8 on the ABV and the IBU;s must be close to 85 or 90.

Really good product for what appears to be a "one and done."

2.28/5  rDev -40.5%

This was just released in cans. I've had it in draft and cans. Draft is fantastic..

4 pack cans poured in to a pint glass

Look: Looks good. Like a typical DIPA

Smell: Burnt malt/plastic. Really heavy on the hops. Possibly to cover up a mistake?

Taste: Tastes just like it smells. Too much of everything. Hops and malts don't balance. Tastes like the malt was burned in the mash. As far as hops go, I can dig it.

Feel: Thick, lingering after taste of the burning plastic.

Overall: Not a good one they produced in cans. It's a completely different beer on draft. In fact, it's fantastic on draft. Not sure what went wrong here. I still love STA though.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from 32 oz growler into tulip glass.

A: Pours a crystal clear light copper color with two finger white head with good retention and decent sticky lacing.

S: Grapefruit and oranges mixed with pine resin and a hint of banana.

T: Mostly citrus and hops up front with a hint of sweetness. Grapefruit, orange. Pretty big hop bitterness, but enough malt backbone to balance it out.

M: Light with good carbonation. Finish is dry and a little bitter.

O: A solid offering from STA. I like this one quite a bit more than their year round IPA, and maybe not as much as Gorillanaut.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

3.79/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice clear copper color. The smell is of mango and maybe oranges with a pine aroma. The taste is mainly malty sweet oranges and pine with a nice bitter hoppy ending. Not super complex but a tasty imperial iPod.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'll be a Monkey's Uncle! I just opened a box from Uncle JedI & Purple Hat Joan and it was an indulgence of two of my favorite beer-related things: CANned beer & embroidered cloth patches! It is good to have friends nationwide and worldwide to CANnect with.

From the CAN: A serious, pipe-smoking simian stares out from above his reading glasses at me. I do not understand why, as I liked his nephew, Monkeynaut.

Usually, when I Crack! open a CAN of beer, the Crack! is all that I hear, but tonight, it has been animal noises. First it was a lowing cow, now it is a chattering monkey! Did they throw Pleepleus in the CAN?!? I employed an inverted Glug to shut him up and it worked, but I was met with three fingers of massive, rocky, tawny head with such amazing retention that I began to regret my decision to go that route. I'm thirsty and this is getting in my way! Sticky lacing began to form as it fell and I suddenly regretted lending my jackhammer to my neighbor as that was the only way I was removing that sticky mess. Nose was redolent with tropical fruits - pineapple, mango and coconut. My mouth went into overdrive in terms of watering. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-plus quality clarity. Mouthfeel was full and viscous on my tongue. It was more like a dollop than a draught! Man, but the tropical fruit flavors hit my tastebuds like the landing craft at Normandy. For the fools, I mean, people who eschew hoppy beers at this point in time, you have no idea what you are missing! This was not overly bitter, but it was definitely hoppy. It had a really dank quality to it, like putting your nose in a baggie of a hybrid. Finish was likewise fruity, but not hot, overwhelming or any other CANplaints that I read about DIPAs. Now, at 7.75% ABV, a couple at a time would probably suffice.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

4.48/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

4.76/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev +11%

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Monkey's Uncle IPA from Straight To Ale
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.