Join our email list →

Alabama, United States | website

American Amber / Red Ale | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: NODAK on 09-16-2012

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On draft at Zoobrew, Jackson, MS (poured into a taster glass)

A: Rocket red for sure with a thin tan half finger head that dissipated fast. Decent lacing.

S: Bready malts, some cherries.

T: Follows nose with a lightly sweet and sessionable drinkability. Drinks more like an Irish red without the hop action.

M: Medium with medium carbonation.

O: I was very pleasantly surprised with this new entry from STA. Since I was pouring at Zoobrew, I ended up blending RCR with a Brother Joseph and got a terrific taste from the two. Sweet and solid.

3.25/5  rDev -10%

Aroma was mildly fruity and bready. Fairly sweet. Pretty standard for the style really.

In my pint glass from the brewery, it pours a dark, blood red...with a thin but fairly tight head.

This is a very mild red ale, which I'm guessing is what they were going for by reading the website. They wanted a sessionable beer, which is certainly what this is. Mildly sweet in the body....but restrained and unremarkable. Kind of has an apple character. Hops are completely absent in this one....and when I say that, I mean that I do percept any at all. There's a slight note of chocolate malt near the finish....some breadiness appears on the finish as well, which is altogether pretty thin and watery.

This is fine, but wasn't worth the price I paid for the growler. I get trying to make an approachable, sessionable ale, but it doesn't have to be absent of flavor.

Rocket City Red from Straight To Ale
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.