Johnny’s American IPA - Moab Brewery

Johnny’s American IPAJohnny’s American IPA

good

Moab Brewery visit their website
Utah, United States

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 10-19-2012)
Reviews by StoneTSR:
3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

APPEARANCE: A fluffy head filling roughly a third of the top of my Funkwerks globe foams up on top of a nice, clear, orange beer. The stark white head remains on top for a while as it very slowly recedes. A thick ring of lacing is left around the top along with a nice cathedral-like lacing left below.

SMELL: Grassy on the nose along with a solid citrus backbone. Orange is the dominant citrus. Nice smell, but could be stronger.

TASTE: The citrus pulls through in the flavor much stronger and the orange still leads, but a nice grapefruit and grass punch towards the end backs it up nicely. The malt is there to balance and an almost chocolate-like flavor arrives near the end of each sip to sweeten in up just a touch.

MOUTHFEEL: Dry and hoppy to start with a semi-sweet, malty finish. The carbonation is relatively low, my notes say "half-way to nitro." This is a silky, smooth IPA.

OVERALL: Spending four days in Moab is always awesome, but this little treat adds to the experience. While the 7% canned version is definitely the way to go, I also enjoyed the 4% session version on tap. Good go-to, especially when you're in the area.

2.73/5  rDev -22.4%

16 oz can. Pours hazy golden orange with a medium white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet biscuity malts with some fruity grassy hops.

The flavor is sweet biscuity (crystal?) malts with some tangy fruit and good bitterness for a 4% beer. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, an OK session IPA, a little too sweet.

3.73/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice orange colored liquid, my favorite color when dealing with ipas. Mild offwhite head on it, probably around 1/2" in depth. Impressive looking brew here.

Hop aroma was enjoyably citric. Mostly orange and tangerine type of hop aromas. Not the biggest dry hopping going on, but suffice to say, it was respectable and enjoyable even if not pungent.

Good citrusy hop flavor, pretty straightforward. Bitterness is just about right, a loyal companion with the hop flavors, a legitimate tag team. Malt base is in the right proportion, not too much, not too little to where this is all bitterness, complimentary.

Mildly sweet in the mouthfeel, the hops stick around, they don't fade. A little bit of biscuit malt and a touch of caramel fit just right. Earthy at times, but never heavy or gritty. Slightly dry. Hop varieties seem to be of the non citra C designation.

Would recommend.

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, some caramel? Taste is hoppy, dry, some malts, well balanced, some hop heads may be disappointed but I enjoyed it. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

3.73/5  rDev +6%

I think the Moab cans are "new to Boise" ... This one is the version that is only available outside of Utah and at the pub retail shop... Mikey's Utah Beer Blog helped fill in some questions.

Poured into my slim tulip... light tan head sticks around and leaves great lacing... the brew is clear orange.

The nose is citrus forward unlike any IPA I have had in a while... tangerine and lime zest .. tropical fruits come in with warmth.. melon, mango, etc... smells great.. hops overpower the malts, but the maltiness really delivers the fruitiness up into the aroma.

Flavor needs much more bitterness... but the hop flavors help cancel that negative.. the palate is more tropical than citrus forward... again, melon and something that I associate with papaya... weird.. but still inviting... I am liking this one.

At 7%, the body is good... the bubbles may be a touch light...

This brew is pretty damn good... Utah does things right... don't get stuck on the 4% crap... when they get free reign, the beer is good/great.

4/4/3.5/3.5/4

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

4.3/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Every fourth Thursday in November, I am thankful for my local, in-person trader, tone77, who routinely comes through with some great CANs in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM), this being one of them.

From the CAN: "India Pale Ale"; "Put some HOPS in your step"; "Rejoice"; "10 Million Years In The Making"; "Say Mo-ab, you pilgrims!"; "An American IPA, golden in color with light malt hues and strong hop characteristics. Its vibrant citrus aromas and bitterness are created from the use of four bold American hops. Our dry hopping gives this beer that distinctive and aggressive hop finish. ENJOY!"

I got a textbook loud Crack and proceeded to an inverted Glug to celebrate. This resulted in a dense two fingers of tawny head with great retention and my kitchen smelled like I was having grapefruit for dinner. Color was a cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = >9, <13). As I leaned in for a sip, I got a whiff of caramel offsetting the intensity of the hops on the nose. Drool. The first sip revealed more of an orange-citrus hoppiness on the tongue, accompanied by a sweet, cool wash of caramel malts. They did not need to admonish me to enjoy this one, believe me. I have evolved into a hophead on a maintenance program. I no longer get the intense rush that I once did from hops, and my screeching addiction monkey has settled down, but there are times that I just gotta have me some hops, man! This was one of those times. I had a busy Monday and I was more ready than I realized. Th mouthfeel was right around medium, but the sticky lacing that had begun to from in the glass was going to require a jackhammer to remove. The hops and malt were coming with a one-two punch on the finish as the malt softened the blow, then the hops hit, followed by a cooling sensation that rocked me back on my heels. I may be going down for the count! One of these at a time, please. I am not the prize fighter that I once was.

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

3.81/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazed copper color from the 16 oz can. Aroma is very floral and piney, and quite expressive at that. In the taste, grapefruit and tea like notes. Pine, herb and grapefruit, with little pale malt backing. Medium bodied feel with a loose carbonation and slightly watery. Overall, this is a decent IPA.

Johnny’s American IPA from Moab Brewery