Johnny’s American IPA - Moab Brewery

Johnny’s American IPAJohnny’s American IPA

good

Moab Brewery visit their website
Utah, United States

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 10-19-2012)
Reviews by tone77:
3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, some caramel? Taste is hoppy, dry, some malts, well balanced, some hop heads may be disappointed but I enjoyed it. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

tone77, Sep 08, 2013
2.73/5  rDev -22%

16 oz can. Pours hazy golden orange with a medium white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet biscuity malts with some fruity grassy hops.

The flavor is sweet biscuity (crystal?) malts with some tangy fruit and good bitterness for a 4% beer. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, an OK session IPA, a little too sweet.

Beaver13, Jun 09, 2013
3.73/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice orange colored liquid, my favorite color when dealing with ipas. Mild offwhite head on it, probably around 1/2" in depth. Impressive looking brew here.

Hop aroma was enjoyably citric. Mostly orange and tangerine type of hop aromas. Not the biggest dry hopping going on, but suffice to say, it was respectable and enjoyable even if not pungent.

Good citrusy hop flavor, pretty straightforward. Bitterness is just about right, a loyal companion with the hop flavors, a legitimate tag team. Malt base is in the right proportion, not too much, not too little to where this is all bitterness, complimentary.

Mildly sweet in the mouthfeel, the hops stick around, they don't fade. A little bit of biscuit malt and a touch of caramel fit just right. Earthy at times, but never heavy or gritty. Slightly dry. Hop varieties seem to be of the non citra C designation.

Would recommend.

fivetime, Jan 05, 2014

LotsofLupulin, Mar 29, 2014

Gavilan, Jun 30, 2014
3.73/5  rDev +6.6%

I think the Moab cans are "new to Boise" ... This one is the version that is only available outside of Utah and at the pub retail shop... Mikey's Utah Beer Blog helped fill in some questions.

Poured into my slim tulip... light tan head sticks around and leaves great lacing... the brew is clear orange.

The nose is citrus forward unlike any IPA I have had in a while... tangerine and lime zest .. tropical fruits come in with warmth.. melon, mango, etc... smells great.. hops overpower the malts, but the maltiness really delivers the fruitiness up into the aroma.

Flavor needs much more bitterness... but the hop flavors help cancel that negative.. the palate is more tropical than citrus forward... again, melon and something that I associate with papaya... weird.. but still inviting... I am liking this one.

At 7%, the body is good... the bubbles may be a touch light...

This brew is pretty damn good... Utah does things right... don't get stuck on the 4% crap... when they get free reign, the beer is good/great.

4/4/3.5/3.5/4

JohnGalt1, Oct 19, 2012

elkinbrown, May 24, 2014

Ribsandwhiskey, Sep 27, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

Bustersuess, Sep 19, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Every fourth Thursday in November, I am thankful for my local, in-person trader, tone77, who routinely comes through with some great CANs in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM), this being one of them.

From the CAN: "India Pale Ale"; "Put some HOPS in your step"; "Rejoice"; "10 Million Years In The Making"; "Say Mo-ab, you pilgrims!"; "An American IPA, golden in color with light malt hues and strong hop characteristics. Its vibrant citrus aromas and bitterness are created from the use of four bold American hops. Our dry hopping gives this beer that distinctive and aggressive hop finish. ENJOY!"

I got a textbook loud Crack and proceeded to an inverted Glug to celebrate. This resulted in a dense two fingers of tawny head with great retention and my kitchen smelled like I was having grapefruit for dinner. Color was a cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = >9, <13). As I leaned in for a sip, I got a whiff of caramel offsetting the intensity of the hops on the nose. Drool. The first sip revealed more of an orange-citrus hoppiness on the tongue, accompanied by a sweet, cool wash of caramel malts. They did not need to admonish me to enjoy this one, believe me. I have evolved into a hophead on a maintenance program. I no longer get the intense rush that I once did from hops, and my screeching addiction monkey has settled down, but there are times that I just gotta have me some hops, man! This was one of those times. I had a busy Monday and I was more ready than I realized. Th mouthfeel was right around medium, but the sticky lacing that had begun to from in the glass was going to require a jackhammer to remove. The hops and malt were coming with a one-two punch on the finish as the malt softened the blow, then the hops hit, followed by a cooling sensation that rocked me back on my heels. I may be going down for the count! One of these at a time, please. I am not the prize fighter that I once was.

woodychandler, Sep 10, 2013

jlogan7, Jun 07, 2014

ralphw56, Feb 16, 2014
3.81/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazed copper color from the 16 oz can. Aroma is very floral and piney, and quite expressive at that. In the taste, grapefruit and tea like notes. Pine, herb and grapefruit, with little pale malt backing. Medium bodied feel with a loose carbonation and slightly watery. Overall, this is a decent IPA.

Stinkypuss, Sep 22, 2013

Austin_Cohen, Jun 04, 2014
4.1/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Surprising IPA, the combination of 4 hops in this manner is a little uncommon - someone below reviewed the smell as "pungent" and I gotta agree that is the word for it. Satisfying after a half dozen sips, but a little shocking at first. Noted one of the reviews below is for the "Session" version of this, this tall boy in an attractive can is 7% baby!

Hope you get a chance to try it, and try it either first or alone - the flavor profile of the hops/malts is definitely distinctive so take that however you want, but I will buy it again.

RockAZ, Jun 18, 2013