Notch Saison - Notch Brewing

good

Notch Brewing visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  3.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011)
4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

Impressive taste and flavors for such a low alcohol content - I would not believe 3.8 percent, except it is so stated on the label- : Masterpiece in my view. Tasted it first in a highly rated venue in the Boston area, one of the few beers they offer; good choice! Am surprised the existing BA score is so low, expect it to increase when this beer gets more popular, as it should.

4.54/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Last brew from my trade with Yamar 18. Thanks, Kevin!

It pours a straw gold, looks slightly hazy, forms a 2 finger head of foam and again, great lacing.

It smells yeasty, spicy with cloves etc, wheat, all of the goodies I expect from a Saison.

Could the tastes ever be more true to smell than this? lol. Yeasty, spicy...second pour brings a stronger haze and that can me even more flavour judging from my past experiences with the style.

The spice and yeast rule this sucker and it even has a mild hop flavour if you're into Saisons with that trait.

The mouthfeel is perfection for the style, imho.

This is a wonderful Saison and the fact that it is only 3.8% abv is icing on the cake.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

4.5/5  rDev +23%

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance- A straw yellow with a nice two inch head, great retention and really nice lacing.

Smell- Yeast phenols, grain and a bit of citrus -- very Belgian esq

Taste- The Taste opens up with straw and grain as would a typical saison and slowly transitions into a grassy, hoppy bitterness. A very clean beer. Very impressive.

Mouthfeel- Very smooth and slightly dry, good carbonation levels

Overall- I am very impressed with this session saison. The flavors of a traditional Belgium saison are all present; something that isnt always typical of American made saisons which tend to be a bit hoppier. For such a low-abv beer I was surprised to find the complexity at such a high level(my only complaint would be the lack of depth in complexity that I am used to in higher abv beers but I guess that means I get to take another sip which is the point of a session-able beer.) I have been very impressed with Notch and I believe this is their best offering.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

The beer pours a pretty barnyard hay golden yellow with a nice soapy head that dissipates quickly but leaves a fat scrim ring of middle size bubbles. The beer is hazy and slightly oranged with its opacity, and there are some chunks floating around from the yeast, but there is definitely a good stream of carbonation bubbles working their way to the surface all around the glass. The beer smells quite nice with a biscuity citrus reminiscent of orange bread. There are some good damp banana and pineapple esters also swimming in the nose that coincide with the slight spice kick expected in saisons. The beer tastes wonderfully orangey in the initial sip, supported by strong banana/pineapple esters and light earthy spiced biscuit from the malts and hops. The flavor clears into a crisp and refreshing funk towards the middle and then pulls back together into a strong citrus-spice aftertaste. The esters work marvelously to add subtle flavors to this beer. The mouthfeel is cool crisp and refreshing, everything a saison traditionally should be. Bubbly carbonation is light and constant on the tongue, and the mouth is left very clean with only a slight drizzle of saliva on the sides and some dry spice on the top of the tongue. This is an excellent saison in my opinion, and a terrific return to the sessionable style of old saisons. Notch has done a great job brewing a historical and delicious beer that really highlights the funk and esters that these beers are all about. The fact that this beer is so nicely flavorful and is 3.8% makes it even more appealing. I am very surprised especially since I was not very taken with their pilsner, but this beer definitely highlights the cool things this brewery is doing with sessionable beer. I could drink quite a few of these and definitely advise this one.

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%

Nice almost 2 finger head tries to fade but continually reinforced by the many rising bubbles, nice lacing, clear golden pale color.

Nose light pale malts, light sweetness, light spices, hint of citrus, sweet malty esters and fruit, light wheat and bit of saison farmhouse dry bready grainy malt.

Taste starts light, bit of sweet malt, hint of straw, wheat, fruit with light esters, dry farmhouse saison malt and almost bready. Almost fluffy carbonated malt. Light saison yeast fruits, and bit of floral hops and citrus. Finishes dry and toasty saison malts, light bitterness and spices.

mouth is lighter bodied, good carb.

Overall pretty staple saison, very light and drinkable, nice malts, fruits, esters, saison farmhouse flavors, etc, and no real off flavors. very drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

A- we have an easy to develop head, poofy, cotton balls and ear picks. an easy to see through pale yellow body. TONS of carbonation, we are talking streams and streams and streams. Full crisp lacing, great stickiness, tons of retention. This may be the best appearance for style ( suspected belgian pale ale ) I've had in all the BIFs. It is literally amazing to look upon.

S- A bit of sharpness.. like a mild acetic acid nature. The true nature is bubblegum, hay, straw, clove, barnyard walls. Its got that belgian yeast characteristic that is just... iconic. If its a belgian pale ale, its well done.

T- The sharpness in the nose does translate minorly. It could be acetic, but the nature is so fleeting that its just generic acidity. It has straw and wheat flavors after that. Finishes faint bubblegum, we are talking like hours of chewing it before tasting it. The finish is a bit of straw but immensely faint. This is probably the cleanest finish in a beer I've had this year ( ha ha ).

M- Light, flavorful, clean finish. Very very crisp, almost too crisp in carbonation. The flavors are strong, just not lingering well.

D- Its a good beer. I wish I would have drank it before the parabola. It is a great beer to start out the night. Like your opening light beer to get you in the mood for a party. I almost feel like dancing after this one... or that could be the bomber of 12% ber talking.

I think its a belgian pale ale.

Reveal is... Wow, Notch Saison! American.. session beer? 3.8% holy shit! I'm drinking it again and again and I just can't see the saison characteristics other than dry, light peppery nature on the finish that I didn't catch at first. I can see the saison nature now. I was so hung up on the belgian yeast characteristics I didn't think that this was so underhopped how could it have been a BIPA? Impossible! It screams Saison now. Derp derp derp!

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Big thanks to cbeer88 for the tasty local treat!

Pours a nice medium sunny orange color, hazy, with a bright white head. Appearance wise, it's pretty effing sexy. Aroma has a lot of floral hop notes, with plenty Belgian, yeasty zest. Speaking of zest, there's some lemon zest qualities in there too. Mildly biscuity. Floral hops and zesty, estery yeast notes balance each other out on the taste. Light citrus and bread, slight bitter finish. Must admit that this is a nicely bodied beer for such a low ABV. Nice creamy texture, but with an authoritative carbonation bite. Light, but not water. Finishes cleanly.

I was rather excited for this one, being a Saison and a session ale, but admittedly had my concerns and assumptions, but I was very pleased with this ale. Great body, and full of flavor. I'd feel okay pounding a couple!

4.04/5  rDev +10.4%

12oz brown bottle

Served in an Allagash goblet

Pours a hazy pale golden color with a medium-sized spritzy snow white head.

Smells of dry hay, grain and citrus zip out of the gate vying to gain ground. When, from out of nowhere, smells of green wood, mowed lawn and spices roll in. They all cross the finish line together and in complete harmony.

This is a GREAT small beer to have on a hot day on the boat, at softball, on the beach or just lying around on the hammock in the shade, avoiding the heat.

Low alcohol/high flavor!

4.04/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz. Bottle “bottled on 4/12/13” and consumed on 7/27/13.

A- Off white, fluffy head. Hazy,dark gold in color. Good head retention, and a fair amount of large carbonation bubbles.

S- Lemon, pepper, a bit tart, some soft and subtle wheat aromas, and some esters. Interesting and more complex than I was expecting.

T- Initially, it seemed like the taste had less going on than the aroma. I was tasting wheat, spicy pepper, and lemon flavors. As I continued to drink, I came to appreciate the subtle complexities and balance achieved with all the ingredient playing their parts nicely.

M- Soft, smooth mid bodied mouthfeel with a prickly carbonation, and a crisp dry finish.

O- Definitely a winner by Notch in my book. A very good drinking and refreshing little session saison. I wouldn't mind re-hydrating with this if I were a farm hand back in the day...or today. Pairs well with a barn balcony on a warm, breezy, July afternoon in the Catskills.

Appearance: hazy, orange-brown in color, 2 inch head, high carbonation

Smell: funk, hay, pepper, and lemon

Taste: pepper, funk, hay, pepper, Belgian spices, and lemon

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, light bodied, dry, funky and slightly bitter

Overall: A nice, funky, light saison. I could have a couple of these. This is the best beer from Notch that I have had so far.

Poured into a Notch pint glass a chunky foam head on top of a hazy yellow gold, some splotchy lacing.

Nose is a subtle clove spice blended with an airy citric apple.

A sip is brightly carbonated right off the bat - light grassy malt provides a sweetness with a dry citric zest bitterness through the end.

I think this beer is exactly what it is - an affordable, sessionable, flavorful summer beer - and for that, I give it solid marks. I think the only thing it's missing is a little more barnyard funk, but that's personal preference, and I think Notch has made a great brew.

Poured a golden copper color with about an average amount of head and lacing. Smelled a slight funk with a citrus background, also yeasty. The taste was very pleasant; dry in the finish almost with a smack; very refrshing and easy to drink. Mouthfeel was very good, with nice carbonation up front. I enjoyed this, especially for the "low" price, and loved that it's local.

Notch Saison from Notch Brewing