Tread Lightly Ale - New Planet Beer Company

poor

New Planet Beer Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Rayek on 05-22-2010)
woodychandler

2.03/5  rDev -20.7%

I had a colleague who has issues with gluten and she was always curious about beers that were gluten-free. I usually eschew them since I am not gluten-intolerant and prefer to leave them for people who are. In the interim, I am purging my massive backlog of bottles this summer and lo and behold! this one popped up.

From the bottle: "Part of profits go to trail restoration."; "Ale made from sorghum and corn extract".

I have come to realize that there are no lees in these bottles, so there is nothing standing in the way of an aggro pour. Booyah! Two fingers of foamy, fizzy, bone-white head with poor retention, but at least there was nice lacing in its wake. Color was straw-yellow (SRM = 1 -2) with NE-quality clarity. I must say, when the beer that I am taking in is clearer and lighter than what I am flushing out, I am left highly dubious. It is also interesting that just a few beers in on this misadventure, and I am able to recognize the presence of sorghum on the nose. It is much like my sensitivity to corn as an adjunct/filler in AALs, having reviewed so many in the early days of The CANQuest (TM). But I digress ... It has a sharp sourness that really penetrates the sinuses, a cross between apple vinegar and being in an over-chlorinated pool environment. I do not find this at all pleasant. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. The taste was, once more, a tart apple cider-like flavor. I understand that I am not the target audience for these beers, but I am not sure that I would foist this on my colleague without some advance warning on what to expect. Would someone with Celiac taste this differently? I do not know, but I certainly hope so! Finish was dry, tart, slightly vinous, refreshing in an odd way, but not enough to be redeeming.

07-27-2014 14:37:19 | More by woodychandler

08-15-2013 22:21:53 | More by Bdel34
becktone

1.28/5  rDev -50%

Branded now as NEW PLANET BLONDE ALE

Ok. So my mother is a celiac, I'm always looking for new stuff for her to try.

This beer is awful. Honestly, yes. I took one sip and poured it down the drain. I really didn't even take time to smell it, but as I took the first and only sip, what I got in flavor and aroma was disgusting. I didn't plan on reviewing this beer but it was so bad that I thought I might leave some notes for those out there to try and warn them off.

As soon as it hits the tongue all I got was plastic and insane amounts of bubblegum phenols, over the top. Absolutely terrible. After one sip, the rest went to the sink. I couldn't and wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone. Redbridge is better than this, don't go here.

07-15-2013 01:19:36 | More by becktone

3.25/5  rDev +27%

06-15-2013 00:14:11 | More by b1515152004
TMoney2591

2.78/5  rDev +8.6%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Apparently this "Tread Lightly" stuff is now being branded as simply "New Planet Blonde Ale". I like it, more to the point than before. Anyway, it pours a clear straw topped by a half-finger of short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises soapy and funky wheat (I take this to be the sorghum), dry corn tortilla, and a dash of flowers. The taste holds notes of funky lemon zest, light cracked wheat, sweet flowers, and a kiss of honey. There's an odd and vague fruitiness pervading. The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, a frankly odd beer, one that just doesn't taste quite right to me to be in any way enjoyable.

05-21-2013 20:22:01 | More by TMoney2591

1.5/5  rDev -41.4%

03-11-2013 15:30:56 | More by tastymug
WissBrauSean

3.13/5  rDev +22.3%

The beer pours a very clear and crisp straw color with only a faint ring tiny bubbles for the head and the lacing is near non-existant.

The aroma is slightly of sorghum and a little difficult to describe, lets try earthen and soapy, but that is only very faint and doesn't detract immensely from the other aromas of honey sweet apple and maybe a tad of hops.

Throughout the sip it is mostly like a honey type of maltiness and apple that covers the tongue and the finish is very faintly soapy, medicinal or metallic with a sort of sour aftertaste. It's not incredibly unpleasant but as you linger between sips the soapy is kind of weird. Slight notes of black pepper. It's not fairly complex, but this style really shouldn't be.

The mouthfeel is fuller than I thought it would be and lightly on the sweet side throughout the drink. It's slightly balanced but more sweet than not. The end is mildly dry, sour, bitter and that sorghum soapy. Carbonation is perfectly moderate. I can see this with more carbonation, but I think that would detract from it. Someone mentioned leaving the tongue a little slippery as well. I agree.

Overall, I enjoyed drinking this beer and learning. I would drink it again, but if there were alternatives I'd proably give them a go. I'm going to say this is average, but for what it's worth, it is NOT easy to brew gluten free and they have done one hell of a job to get even an average score in an actual American Blonde Ale class and that deserves points right there. It meets all of the criteria, but just has that taste, that sorghum taste.

03-06-2013 02:47:35 | More by WissBrauSean