Tread Lightly Ale - New Planet Beer Company

Beer added by: Rayek on 05-22-2010

to view more.
Ratings: 54 | Reviews: 24
1.96/5  rDev -22.5%

I had a colleague who has issues with gluten and she was always curious about beers that were gluten-free. I usually eschew them since I am not gluten-intolerant and prefer to leave them for people who are. In the interim, I am purging my massive backlog of bottles this summer and lo and behold! this one popped up.

From the bottle: "Part of profits go to trail restoration."; "Ale made from sorghum and corn extract".

I have come to realize that there are no lees in these bottles, so there is nothing standing in the way of an aggro pour. Booyah! Two fingers of foamy, fizzy, bone-white head with poor retention, but at least there was nice lacing in its wake. Color was straw-yellow (SRM = 1 -2) with NE-quality clarity. I must say, when the beer that I am taking in is clearer and lighter than what I am flushing out, I am left highly dubious. It is also interesting that just a few beers in on this misadventure, and I am able to recognize the presence of sorghum on the nose. It is much like my sensitivity to corn as an adjunct/filler in AALs, having reviewed so many in the early days of The CANQuest (TM). But I digress ... It has a sharp sourness that really penetrates the sinuses, a cross between apple vinegar and being in an over-chlorinated pool environment. I do not find this at all pleasant. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. The taste was, once more, a tart apple cider-like flavor. I understand that I am not the target audience for these beers, but I am not sure that I would foist this on my colleague without some advance warning on what to expect. Would someone with Celiac taste this differently? I do not know, but I certainly hope so! Finish was dry, tart, slightly vinous, refreshing in an odd way, but not enough to be redeeming.

1.32/5  rDev -47.8%

Branded now as NEW PLANET BLONDE ALE

Ok. So my mother is a celiac, I'm always looking for new stuff for her to try.

This beer is awful. Honestly, yes. I took one sip and poured it down the drain. I really didn't even take time to smell it, but as I took the first and only sip, what I got in flavor and aroma was disgusting. I didn't plan on reviewing this beer but it was so bad that I thought I might leave some notes for those out there to try and warn them off.

As soon as it hits the tongue all I got was plastic and insane amounts of bubblegum phenols, over the top. Absolutely terrible. After one sip, the rest went to the sink. I couldn't and wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone. Redbridge is better than this, don't go here.

2.77/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Apparently this "Tread Lightly" stuff is now being branded as simply "New Planet Blonde Ale". I like it, more to the point than before. Anyway, it pours a clear straw topped by a half-finger of short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises soapy and funky wheat (I take this to be the sorghum), dry corn tortilla, and a dash of flowers. The taste holds notes of funky lemon zest, light cracked wheat, sweet flowers, and a kiss of honey. There's an odd and vague fruitiness pervading. The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, a frankly odd beer, one that just doesn't taste quite right to me to be in any way enjoyable.

3.14/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The beer pours a very clear and crisp straw color with only a faint ring tiny bubbles for the head and the lacing is near non-existant.

The aroma is slightly of sorghum and a little difficult to describe, lets try earthen and soapy, but that is only very faint and doesn't detract immensely from the other aromas of honey sweet apple and maybe a tad of hops.

Throughout the sip it is mostly like a honey type of maltiness and apple that covers the tongue and the finish is very faintly soapy, medicinal or metallic with a sort of sour aftertaste. It's not incredibly unpleasant but as you linger between sips the soapy is kind of weird. Slight notes of black pepper. It's not fairly complex, but this style really shouldn't be.

The mouthfeel is fuller than I thought it would be and lightly on the sweet side throughout the drink. It's slightly balanced but more sweet than not. The end is mildly dry, sour, bitter and that sorghum soapy. Carbonation is perfectly moderate. I can see this with more carbonation, but I think that would detract from it. Someone mentioned leaving the tongue a little slippery as well. I agree.

Overall, I enjoyed drinking this beer and learning. I would drink it again, but if there were alternatives I'd proably give them a go. I'm going to say this is average, but for what it's worth, it is NOT easy to brew gluten free and they have done one hell of a job to get even an average score in an actual American Blonde Ale class and that deserves points right there. It meets all of the criteria, but just has that taste, that sorghum taste.

3.05/5  rDev +20.6%

Bottle pour at the BevMo Holiday Beerfest held at Golden Road Brewing in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a clear light orange with a foamy off-white head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of grain, yeast, and some fruity aromas. Taste is much the same with a soapy and medicinal flavor on the finish. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is decent for what it is but nothing I would go after again.

2.81/5  rDev +11.1%

A-Pours a glassy golden hue. Aggressive pours yields no head. Only a ring along the edges of the beer remain. The foam ring leaves ringed lacing remnants.

S-Almost nothing. A semi-sweet aroma is really all I can detect...Yeah, that's it.

T-Apple juice. All sweetness. However there is a tiny, miniscule grassy hop flavor on the back end. Also getting notes of kettle corn.

M-A bit fuller than I expected. Carbonation is very mellow. My tongue feels a bit slippery after. The sweetness clings to the tongue.

O/D-Mellow. The flavor was a big upgrade over the nose. It has a market. This was not as good as their raspberry beer, but it wasn't horrific.

1.65/5  rDev -34.8%

Very pale golden color with excellent clarity. Thin 1/2 finger white head that fades to a thin lace rather quickly. Lots of lively and visible carbonation. Looks like a macro lager to be honest.

Smells semi-sweet, touch of honey and plums.

Tastes like a semi-sweeter macro lager with a bit of a strange fruit and plastic aftertaste. Light thin body but kind of tastes like chemicals. Even for gluten free, and especially for gluten free at 10 bucks a 4 pack, I cant recommend this one.

If you wanna get drunk and not smell like beer though, this might be the way to go! Has almost no actual beer ingredients in it!

If you're gluten intolerant, this beers not terrible. It's drinkable, but it drinks like a coors light so

3.24/5  rDev +28.1%

My first Gluten free beer....Pours a clear light golden with a thin white head. Not much retention, and just a hint of lace. Nose is of lemony, and grassy. Nice but weak.Body is light and carbonated. Taste is of lemon lime. Crisp and refreshing. The 7up of beers? I found it decent.

2.5/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Bright lemon with a feverish pitch of effervesce. Neat clarity with a sudsy white head that was weak on the hold and lace.

S: Very faint lemon malt. Extremely low aromatic appeal, have to really dig down to get some recognition. Yes the aroma treads lightly.

T: Sweet lemony lime hints with surprisingly more flavor then anticipated. Expected a watery euro-pale or light lager interpretation, but this had some malt sweetness and body to it. The lemony highlights were bright with a faint green hopping. Better then most gluten beers i experienced, but an macro-like blonde that tastes like sweetend extract rather grainy grains.

M: Fresh lemony, fairly crisp, pertty good substance wise, just again doesnt have that graininess and is rather syrupy and extract like per style.

O: Overall visually and aromatically its a light lager, the flavor more like a sweetened macro-like summer beer, fresh and lemony, better then most gluten-free, but falls way short of a good blonde. Lacks the grainy character and the natural hop aroma. If you are drinking this its probably out of necessity or curosity and not because you seek a traditional blonde.

2.4/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a clear, rather wan straw yellow with not much head. Crisp aroma is fruity and has a hint of malt, but not much else. Flavor is a little better, fruity almost like a cider, a bit sweet - not complex, but OK. Smooth texture has decent fizz and body, and leaves a fruity, cider-like finish. One of these days I will find a truly good gluten-free beer.

2.2/5  rDev -13%

Poured pale as they come. No head really. Smeels funny just like Labatt Blue without pilsner malt. Tastes like really watered down juice, but not offensive. There is slight honey and hop. Not malty, which feels weird. Almost like a slightly bubbly white wine. Not great stuff

2.15/5  rDev -15%

Pours a clean pale yellow with a white head. In the aroma, clove and a small sweetness. In the taste, dry to sweet clove and honey notes. A small bite and medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry clove-ish like aftertaste. Eh! It's ok, but I like grain.

3.5/5  rDev +38.3%

Pours a pale gold with a thin lacing of loose, soap-like head. The head has little retention. The nose is sweet and corn-like, almost grainy. The taste is grainy with a very corn heavy sweetness. There are little if any other characteristics. The mouthfeel is very light and well carbonated.

Surprisingly, this is one of the more unoffending gluten-free beers that the wife enjoys. It's not great, but it's drinkable.

2.43/5  rDev -4%

Pours a clear, straw color. 1/2 inch head of a white color. Decent retention and poor lacing. Smells of grass, hint of citrus, hint of hops, and slight metallic/grain aroma. Fits the style of an American Blonde Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. There is a noticeable tartness as well. Tastes of strong sorghum, hint of citrus, and a hint of hops. Overall, the sorghum is very strong in aroma and body. The orange helps, but it is hard to drink a sorghum beer.

3.35/5  rDev +32.4%

Did another sampling at work and wanted to sample out something new.

A- Pours out a very light yellowish color, No head of foam what so ever and little to no carbonation.

S- Has a faint hint of apples, and other than that there is nothing else I can smell from it.

T- The taste was just a tiny bit better than the smell was, get an ok amount of a watered down apple flavor really no aftertaste what so ever.

M- Very mellow, tad bit watered down of a taste, It is somewhat refreshing and a tiny bit bitter.

Overall- This is really the first set of Gluten free beers that I have ever tried, I will re rate them once I get a better understanding of them. Overall I didn't mind them bit light for me.

2.23/5  rDev -11.9%

A: The beer pours a clear golden color with no head to speak of.

S: A mild pepper note as well as some "malt", rice, and cardboard. There's definitely some apple and crappy tofu aroma. A little bit of soap and water in there, too.

T: Apples and water, soap, and more of the wonderful crappy tofu character. There's plenty of wet cardboard with a mild sweetness and a general sense of blandness.

M: Light and watery with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Rather crappy; just like all the gluten free beers I've had.

1.9/5  rDev -24.9%

Not the worst gluten free beer but not worth buying, either.

A: The beer pours pale gold and headless. It's perfectly transparent with a a small amount of frothy white bubbles around the edges and a bit of pond scum lacing. Looks like cheap cider.

S: If I didn't know this was a beer, I would call it a cider based on the aroma. It's all sour apples with a hint of lemony citrus. There's also a bit of gummy sorghum sweetness under the surface. Smells like cheap cider.

T: It doesn't taste quite as much like cider, though that's not really a positive. There's just very little flavor. A touch of that oddball sorghum sweetness and a mild sour/bitter twang in the finish are pretty much all that I'm getting. It's more like soda water with dollops of cider and sorghum syrup. There might be a very light touch of hops, but it's hard to tell.

M: The mouthfeel starts almost alright, but it quickly fades into a watery, fizzy mess. There's also a touch of booze and that sorghum flavor sticks around unpleasantly in the corners of my mouth.

O: This beer is a definite pass, gluten sensitivity or no. It's too watery and lacks beer flavor. Really, it tastes like watered down cheap cider. There are better gluten free beers and much, much better ciders.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look - somewhat golden color, clear, with very low carbonation, and hardly any foam.

Smell - I can smell a little bit of the sorghum, but not much else. Maybe a little malty smelling.

Taste - again, it's mostly the sorghum that I taste, however this one isn't as strong as some of the others of theirs. Maybe a hint of the orange peel is noticeable, otherwise, not much else pops out at me. The texture is pretty well toward the watery side.

Overall - not really a fascinating or intriguing beer at all. Not bad tasting, but just not interesting.

3.59/5  rDev +41.9%

Smooth mouth feel with sweet taste and a hint of orange. No foam and clear in color. Hops missing and much needed as this is more of a cider feel. This is the second and by far the best gluten free beer I have tried. Hard to compare with other beers, but definitely a hot summer just mowed the lawn beer.

1.68/5  rDev -33.6%

Golden, clear, lots of large carbonation bubbles. Sweet GrapeNut like aroma, what little there is. Thin front with some carbonation, grape juice based malt liquor like flavor (a very light one, at that) and under hopped finish. Light body. The flavor is on the sweet side and there's no doubt that something other than barley or wheat has been used. If this is what I had available due to a gluten allergy, I'd drink wine.

1.9/5  rDev -24.9%

12oz. bottle served cold into a pint glass.

Appearance is straight apple juice. Same color, same perfect clarity, same complete lack of any head at all.

Aroma is strangely just like apple juice as well. Sweet apples and no hops.

Flavor is sweet as well. This beer is completely lacking balance. It's just an apple juice beer with really no other noteable flavors. Maybe a little vanilla or cream soda but otherwise one dimensional.

Mouthfeel is light in body and way too sweet. Very little carbonation, almost flat.

I really wish I could say something positive but this beer is really lacking on all fronts. Thank god I'm not gluten intolerant.

3.64/5  rDev +43.9%

I picked up a six-pack to take to a 4th of July BBQ, as my wife is intolerant to gluten. From a technical standpoint this ale very well made. In the glass it was crystal clear, with no sediment in the bottle and there were no noticeable off aromas or flavors. Gold, pale amber in color, there was a light aroma of hops and malt. Light in body with a slightly sweet flavor but, there was enough flavor from the hops and orange peel to balance the sweetness from the corn and sorghum.

Overall not a great beer but well made and very drinkable, definitely one that I would buy again as session beer to accompany a BBQ or pizza on a hot day.

3.15/5  rDev +24.5%

General thoughts: I quite liked this beer. It reminded me of the happoshu beers in Japan. It is gluten free so anyone with a gluten intolerance can enjoy. It was a bit too drinkable, I was on the 2nd one after 5 minutes. After the 2nd one it was a little too syrupy, but still good. Overall there are many beers I prefer to this beer, but as a gluten free beer it is awesome!

Appearance: Color is normal, the head is weak, bubbles are large.

Taste: Sweet, syrupy, slight citrus hints, hops are fairly well balanced.

3.22/5  rDev +27.3%

Sorghum, Corn, Orange Peel and Hops are the ingredients on the label. Reading the style they were shooting for off the website, I'd say American Blond is the closest descriptor. Poured into a tulip and consumed with an open mind.

A: Bright gold with a slight orange tint. Active carbonation supports a fizzy white head that quickly recedes, but never fully disappears. Leaves occasional spots of lace.

S: The orange peel really dominates here. Once past it, the corn starts coming through with some extra sweetness. Before things get too sweet, a light zing of grassy hops comes along.

T: Tastes distinctly like an above average macro-lager out of the gate, with a strong corn sweetness. The apple cider flavor that seems to show in a lot of sorghum beers I've had comes on next. Orange adds yet more fruitiness. The beer definitely leans toward the sweet side until the bitterness kicks in. The bitterness is well balanced and; lo and behold, brings some lemongrass flavor to the palate. Finishes with a lingering sweetness.

M: The medium light body is syrupy and could stand having the carbonation turned down a bit.

D: This is certainly one of the better gluten free beers I've had. It felt like the brewers were trying to channel MGD a little too much, but the flavor was pretty nice for something with no barley in it. Not necessarily something I'll revisit, but a step in the right direction for the gluten free beer crowd.

to view more.