Copper Coast - Dungarvan Brewing Company

good

Dungarvan Brewing Company visit their website
Ireland

Irish Red Ale |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnfromDublin on 05-17-2010)
Reviews by LukeK1231:

Poured from a bottle into a O'Hara's (Carlow Brewing Co.) pint glass. Enjoyed while studying abroad in Dublin.

Color: Cloudy red-amber, quite different and nice. (I assume because it's unfiltered)

Aroma: Slight caramel notes, however some hoppy tones as well.

Taste: I had to definetly try a decent amount of this beer to come to a conclusion. As an Irish Red, I feel this is very unique and different. However, I do like it. I has a caramel and almost spice start and then turns into a very flavor taste of bitter hops.

Finish: The bitter hops finish off, with a smooth finish and a little carbonation.

This beer is definelty well crafted, very flavorful, and great, however, it may strike you as different than most Irish Red's.

LukeK1231, Mar 11, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #48 (Jan 2011):

Sufficient lacing on top of the deep reddish-brown brew. Smells of split-open caramel apple with grainy, spicy and yeasty undertones. Exceptionally smooth and creamy mouthfeel within the medium body. Caramel and a mild salty, mineral tone to start. Toasted biscuit middle to end. Orange and grassy hop flavor and balancing bitterness. Yeasty and a tad buttery with a long, drawn-out fruitiness of fresh figs. A whole lot going on in this beer, all pleas- ing and in no way detracting from its great level of drinkability.

BeerAdvocate, Mar 23, 2011

bryc9194, Feb 18, 2014

BogBoyJD, Nov 27, 2012

mdagnew, Sep 16, 2014
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

This is one of the three new beers just released to the market from the new Dungarvan Brewing Company.

Tasted a pint from cask in the Bull & Castle, Dublin on 14.05.2010. Appearence was of a slightly cloudy tawny red coloured brew with a thin (but lasting) white head. Lacing remained on the glass all the way down.
The aroma was a curious mix that at first reminded me of a subdued Rodenbach Grand Cru tang. You know the one that gets the juices flowing! Some nice malts also.

The taste was a solid, and not like any Irish red ale I had had before; as it had plenty of flavour. It seems to me that some spices may have been added to this brew (?), combining with warming maltiness and more subdued hops.
There was a slight 'stickiness' to it, maybe from the sweetness. Overall it feels a bit stronger than the 4.2%; a nice satisfying red ale. I will review the bottled version in the coming weeks.

JohnfromDublin, May 17, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

On cask at the Bull & Castle, Dublin.

Murky auburn with steady loose off-white froth. Chestnuts and candy apples on the nose.
Red currant, autumn leaf, cocoa powder, red pear, and maraschino cherries, with no hops to speak of and a slight peanut skin ending.
Sweet balsamic end and lean linger. Light to medium, soft, dry, not much chew.

A tart take on the style - I wonder if the cask is responsible for that tang. Definitely puts fruit ahead of toast or nuttiness. Goes down quite easily.

StJamesGate, Jan 20, 2012

Nunya, Jul 08, 2014

ColSanders123, Nov 18, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Beerstorian, Feb 16, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a cloudy reddish brown with 1-finger darker-than-cream head. Faint retention, but laces well.

Nose if faint, but more complex than most reds. Lemon, light cherry, light caramel seem to round things out.

Called an Irish Red, this has more hops, more body, and a bit more spiciness than others I've tried. Darker, richer flavor. Good bit of toasted caramel malt, more cherry than strawberry in the licorice, spicy hit at the back of the tongue, and a nice dry finish with a decent shot of mild bitters (think ESB). Still lots of sweetness from the red flavors, though.

Feel is heavier than expected and very welcome.

Overall, I was surprised and pleased with this one.

beer2day, Aug 15, 2012

mnixon86, Jan 13, 2012

Jeeb, Oct 22, 2013

DLS168, Feb 28, 2014
3.35/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my first written and posted review, I guess you must start some day. I've been trying beer and sort of reviewing for two years already, I just never dared to post anything on beeradvocate. Tonight's the night!

Copper Coast Red Ale ABV 4.3% from th Dungarvan Brewing Company Co. Waterford Ireland. 500ml bottle poured into Smithwick's pint glass in low altitude, Galway, Ireland.

Appearance: One finger head, little cream, very foamy. Retention is disappointing for a 4.3% ABV beer. Head is almost already gone.Colour is a nice non-transparent copperish-amber.

Sm: I barely have a sense of smell so I will do my best for that part. I get some notes of hops.
T: Doesn't taste like what you would expect from an Irish Red. I detect roast barley, this reminds me more of Guinness than Smithwicks and I don't mean it as a compliment. However it is not bad, I do like it. The taste, at first took me by surprise, but I'm coming around it and I enjoy it. The body is balanced. Maybe some hops comes through. A bit of bitterness on the finish but nothing overwhelming. I also detect something christmasy, maybe some sort of light spices?

Mf: Smooth. Pleasant bitterness.

O: At first I thought I was going to be disappointed, but I actually enjoyed it. Even though, it is far from Smithwick's which in my opinion is the reference in terms of Irish Red. But as a beer advocate told me once "every beer gets a chance".

hunnybunny, Nov 24, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A-slightly hazy copper color with a nice off-white head and good lacing

S-malt, toast, light fruit, slight herbal

T-malt, toasted bread, little yeast, little orange, hint of sweetness, mild bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-decent and easy drinking, but lacks some flavor and balance

MDDMD, Sep 13, 2013