Helvick Gold - Dungarvan Brewing Company

good

Dungarvan Brewing Company visit their website
Ireland

American Blonde Ale |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnfromDublin on 05-17-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Helvick Gold Alström Bros

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from the bottle into a Seidel.

Appearance - A very dirty/cloudy amber colour with a thick three finger head that reminded me very much of the foam from the weir in my local park after a good winter storms. The Head had great retention but seemed to stick to the top of the beer and leave very little lacing on the side of the glass but it was still in the bottom of the glass when I finished. There is also evidence of good natural carbonation in the glass.

Smell - Gooseberry and citrus were very apparent along with caramel sweetness some malts and earthy notes as well.

Taste - Simply great. Wonderful malt flavour straight off the bat, really nice citrus and hop finish some very light notes of the caramel from the nose but not too sweet. Earthy nut flavour also comes through.

Mouthfeel - Some very mild carbonation much less than I expected given the appearance. Not very metallic or mouth-puckering but there is a clear sharpness that moves from the gums and cheeks to the throat and linger a long time. Some mild coating also apparent. Mouth watering I'd say.

Overall - Very good. I don't think I have had this style before so I was not sure what to expect but it was very, very pleasing! This beer surprised me no end it had big flavour and I will be getting this one again.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

A-slightly hazy light golden color with a nice white head and good lacing

S-grain, yeast, light fruit, hint of sweetness

T-toasted grain, yeast, light sweet malt, hint of fruit, mild bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp and clean

O-enjoyed this blonde ale, good flavor and easy drinking at this low abv

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

On cask at Against the Grain, Dublin.

Pours cloudy tangerine gold with a steady white carpet. Honey, blossom and citrus on the nose. Honey on flour biscuit malts with a bit of pear and floral, slightly resiny hops. Bittersweet honeycomb finish and dry linger. Soft, medium, sticky.

Balanced and summery, but the hops don't pop on cask they way they do with, say, O'Hara's IPA. Bittering comes out over aroma, and I could see where it might cloy, leading me to wonder if the cask has sat a bit. Either way, I'd prefer the bottle, which shouldn't be the case with cask.

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #48 (Jan 2011):

Sudsy white lace sticks around for the party; slight haze in the straw-colored liquid. Mid-fall orchard nose of ripe fallen fruit, twang of fermented grain, faint butteriness with a dough yeast cake smell. Smooth, bitty, moderate- sized body. Relatively dry throughout. Just a quick kiss of malt sweetness to start but then all goes very dry, as dried grassy grain flavors feign a fullness on the palate. Hint of cider twang from the nutty yeast and the butteri- ness is small as the hops drop a light licorice root and fruity wildflower character. Fruity and bitter dry finish. Wow, excessively complex for its size, and we are not complaining. Two thumbs up!

2.23/5  rDev -38.4%

A: Served from a cask (room-temperature) in the Porterhouse pub in Dublin, Ireland. Pours a terrible head that is thin and lacks any cream at all. Served at room temperature. Colour is cloudy, dark gould. I'm already questioning the brewer, though I'm not used to cask beers (this is my first), so I'll withhold judgement.

SM: A scent of moderate strength that suggests heavy pine and a little orange. Maybe a little honey in there too. Appealing and bold - I like it.

T: Complex. Very weak, flat open gives way to notes of pine and citrus - but not quite orange; was I wrong about the scent? Light, refreshing finish - but something's off. There isn't quite a note of water but something is missing.

MF: Far too watery. Finish is too wet.

Dr: I wouldn't have it again especially at that price, but while this beer is bad, I will say it's bold. I look forward to trying Dungarvan's other brews and watching this brewery develop. You can't blame a brewery for a failed experiment; at least they're trying something new.

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

Bought several bottles of this from the off-licence as well as over the counter.

Tastes like nothing I've had before, which is not a good thing. The label mentions something about pine flavours, which in my opinion do not go well in beer!

Suffered serious chill haze due to being stored in the fridge in the off-licence, although while it may not look great this way it tastes better chilled.

I wanted to like this beer but my advice to DBC would be to drop this one.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from bottle into a tulip pint glass.
Nice cloudy amber/golden colour; decent white head with little lacing once the beer is consumed.
Aroma was not that distinctive, some hops coming through. However the taste makes up for it, nice and hoppy with a rich, bitter aftertaste and a good lingering note of hop on the palette for a half minute or so. Quite dry at first, though once you get into it you realise this is a nice, smooth easy drinker.
Notable for the veritable crumbs of vitamin rich sediment in the bottom of the glass!

Well worth a try.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

I tasted this 500ml bottle on 16.05.2010 (best by 28.04.2011). One of the three new brews from Dungarvan.

Poured a hazy blonde ale with a decent white head. Plenty of bubbles rising.
Aroma was a delicate hoppy IPA type aroma.
The taste was an instant hoppiness that made me think of English IPA. Very smooth and nicely balanced finishing with some nice bitterness. As I topped up the glass, a lot more sediment entered the glass and quite a bit of yeast deposit remained when the glass was empty.
Overall: a nice refreshing tasty blonde ale.

Helvick Gold from Dungarvan Brewing Company