Gus - Full Pint Brewing Company

Beer added by: Stinkypuss on 06-30-2012

Reviews by Segelstrom:

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

3.68/5  rDev 0%

Slightly cloudy amber copper body with a big off white head, looks nice enough but it's time to take a smell. Aromatics quality citrus, grapefruit pith, crushed aspirin the label states three hops Columbus, Centennial, and Palisade. Caramel malt adds enough fresh baked bread sweetness to balance out 100+ IBUs. The best by date on the bottle is June 2014, but the hops here are muddled. The beer hits the palate with full force abrasiveness, a bit of a sour/tartness. Hop pellets, sourdough bread, alcohol sits on the palate with a muddled wallop of hop resins, pretty harsh mouthfeel/flavor combos. I love IPA, this Gus IPA has the right components but doesn't execute with specific hop flavors the way I perceive hops from some of my favorite IPAs. Overall I will keep being loyal to the crew at Full Pint, I know they are great brewers Shaun/Garrett/whoever else helps these guys brew. Artwork is awesome it's like a reincarnated Stevie Ray Vaughn (I've never met the guy, but I guess they have a house bluesman named Gus), pretty cool.

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

3.66/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Moderate off-white head, hazy, juicy orange brew with lemon yellow highlights. Good retention and nice lacing.

Strong malt profile amid pine and citrus hop aromas, but it doesn't come across as stale - a bit faded perhaps, but not stale. Pale malt and grains with a hint of toasted malt.

Hop profile is a bit juicier and more tropical fruit-oriented than I would have guessed. Star fruit and mango, amid pine and a bit of citrus peel. Malts are pale and grainy - like the aroma - with a sweet finish.

Extremely long wet and sticky finish. Little sting, but very lively.

The age of this beer is unknown, so rating it requires a small leap of faith. If this is an older bottle, then I'm impressed at its drinkability. If it's relatively fresh, then it's a fairly mediocre - but OK - IPA.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

Nice orange citrus IPA with a light pine finish

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

3.96/5  rDev +7.6%

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

3.74/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I found this beer similar to their TriPA except a bit more balanced.

A - A very dirty amber brown color with just a 1/4 inch of head that fades to a ring. Very little lacing.
S - I agree with others this beer is a very malt forward IPA. Baked sourdough bread and some muddled hops. On the plus side it doesn't have any ethanol smells so it must be balanced.
T - It has a good hop taste but mostly pellets but whatever I didn't expect "fresh hop" Other than that the bready malts are quite tasty and it even has some lingering hops in the finish.
M - Body is decent more medium bodied for this IPA.

Overall this really should be listed as a DIPA any beer over 7.5% is beyond regular IPA requirements. For what it is though its quite good but nothing to faun over since more balanced DIPA's are available.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77. Here is another one that came to me without an existing pic and I had to await approval before proceeding. The backlog is not entirely my fault.

From the bottle: "Shake off your blues double time with our new IPA! Dedicated to our resident bluesman, Gus. He has been here since the very beginning so we thought it was fitting to slap him on a label!"; "Beer Nerd Stats: Malts: Maris Otter, Honey, Amber Hops: Columbus, Centennial, Palisade O.G. 17.8 IBU 100+ Alc. 8.0% by Vol."

I was anxious to get started after taking a break to watch some telly so I began with a heavy-handed pour. This got a pseudo-cascade going which produced two dense fingers of tawny head with great retention. Sticky lacing was starting to appear even as I typed. Color was an orangish-amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with loads of floaties in evidence. Nose was pine-y, but with an odd sourness. Hmmm. "Lot 455 Best By AUG 2014" so freshness should not be an issue. Mouthfeel was medium. I got some initial fusel alcohol heat and I was beginning to doubt whether it was really an AIPA as opposed to a DIPA. Look at those Beer Nerd Stats! There were loads of hops, but they were overwhelming both the malts and my taste buds. Am I supposed to be impressed? I was just finding this more of a chore to drink than a pleasure. I usually do not dun an AIPA for being unbalanced, but this was just too much, for me, for the style, for the unsuspecting consumer. This needs to have its recipe revisited with a jaundiced eye to see if it can either be tweaked or redesignated as a DIPA, as appropriate.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

3.67/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a hazy and chunky orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, orange citrus to grapefruity hops. In the taste, a dryness of orange citrus rinds. A small bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry orange citrus in the aftertaste. A nice mellow, dry citrus rind flavor in an IPA.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%