Sour Apple Saison - Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Wasatch on 06-12-2010

Sweet, yet dry and tart, apples spiced with coriander, grains of paradise, anise, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger. There is no wrong way to enjoy this Saison Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sour Apple Saison Alström Bros
3.31/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Epic Brewing's Sour Apple Saison is a Belgian-style ale that is bottle conditioned. This beer is 8.2% ABV and I drank bottle number 25 of 1800. It pours as a rather pale and cloudy yellow color with low levels of carbonation. The apple smell is light and true to its Belgian origins with floral, almost bubble-gumish notes. The first sip is immediately sweet and fruity, with notable, though light, apple flavors. The acidity is also immediately apparent, though this positively acidulous tone is certainly of fruit origins (almost cider-like, as opposed to a sour beer utilizing wild yeasts). The sour-apple taste is carried by the typical bubble-gummy flavor common to hefeweizens that loses itself in the sweet, and dare I say 'crisp' flavor of this beer. Lovers of the Saison may seek this brew out, but otherwise the cost may be prohibitive for this small-batch of 1800 bottles. (883 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -8.4%

22oz bottle poured into my Allagash glass. It poured a slightly hazy, golden yellow color with a thin white head barely covering the top of the beer.

The aroma shows a ton of spices to it, which given the ingredients isn't surprising. The grains of paradise and coriander are really bold, giving it a strong citrus presence. The nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon all add some earthy, christmasy spiciness. The spices just overwhelm, I don't get much else past them.

In the taste, the spices dominate up front but there is some really good sour apple flavors that do come out in the finish. The coriander and grains of paradise just seem way overdone to me though and unfortunately dominate the beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being above average. Overall, I didn't really care for it. The spices dominated way too much and covered up nearly all of the sour apple flavors. The Christmas like spices didn't work well for it either. I had hoped for a little more sourness out of it given the name. (1,016 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a bomber into a Bruery tulip. Great straw color with a large soapy white head. Lots of lacing left behind with an uneven ring of the foam around the edges of the glass.

Plenty of yeast in the nose, along with some fruity apple, clove, banana and bubble gum. The latter scents I did not expect.

Taste pretty much lives up to the name - largely tart green apple. It gets more tart as it warms. Some spices from the saison yeast.

Pretty lively mouthfeel but it is a little sweeter than I would typically want in a saison. This makes me sip it a little slower.

Overall an interesting beer. I think it is worth trying, but I'm not sure I need it again. If it was less sweet I might enjoy it more. (708 characters)

22oz bomber to bRuges hybrid glass on 9/28/11
*From notes

A: It certainly looks pleasant. The palest of pale goldens. As I pour, I do my best to leave the lees where they belong. A big 2.75 finger white, fizzy head and minor lacing remain.

S: Exceedingly musty. I can't recall the last time I approached a beer quite this dank. Faint fruit and Belgian style yeast round this out.

T: More cellar must and some Asian pear. Once it hits the mid though, the whole thing turns rather green. Some sliced apple comes through on the finish. Not as refreshing as it should be, it's just too dense and cloying. Why do I get the feeling that Epic's used a conditioner here?

M: This saison feels quite nice. Bubbly and alive on the tongue. I couldn't imagine getting through the stickiness of the flavors here with a beer any less carbonated.

O: Epic's Sour Apple Saison sounded like a good idea, and in reality, it wasn't bad. It's simply an ok beer that should be better. Using fresh ingredients would help this be the beer it could be. As it is, it's simply a saison with Belgian yeast and apple sweetener. (1,102 characters)

On-tap at Beachwood Brewing

The beer is a cloudy golden yellow/straw color with a white head. An interesting aroma. Lots of apple and a touch of tartness, but it’s got a big spice character to it (mostly cinnamon and clove). Quite a bit of yeast and a light medicinal note. The flavor is almost potpourri-like: very spicy and floral. Some apple, but not quite the sourness I was anticipating. Lots of bread and yeast flavors to it as well. (442 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours an orange yellow color w/ a one finger white head that quickly disappears. Nice carbonation and lacing. Light in color, but a little cloudy as well- you can't see through it.

S- Smells like a perm. OK.. sort of. Yeast, sour apple, perm smell. Not great.

T- Tastes like a Christmas spiced cider to me. Yeast, sour apple, spice and some malt. Much better than the nose, but still just OK.

M- Very thin, w/ a slight sour burn in the aftertaste. Very bubbly as well, w/ high carbonation.

O- This is a slightly better than average brew, and really not recommended. Interesting, but not great. (600 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured into taster (4 oz) at Belmont Station:

Some light head that quickly vanished leaving little lace. Clear golden hue. Smells lightly of a saison with some hints of apple.

On the palate I pick up more golden delicious apple than any sour apple. Kind of a let down... Pretty simple. Light body, medium grip, alcohol kept in check though. Medium length finish.

Overall pretty simple yet decent saison with the added apple. (427 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

Reading the label on a beer is always something thats a lot of fun for me. I learned, for example, that the beer I'm holding is only one of 1800 bottles. And the label also indicated which batch it is (I'm drinking release #5) and the ABV (8.1) I'm pretty keen on all that.

So this is a beer that pretty much describes exactly what it is. It's a Belgium ale that is brewed with apples.

It's got quite a bit of apple to the nose, though on the tongue, the apple doesn't hit until after the swallow.

Definitely made with Belgium yeast. All the tell tale signs are there, including a bit of cloudiness to the eye.

It's drinkable, but not one that I'd pursue. (661 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -11.5%

From 08/12/11 notes. Had on tap at Galaxy Hut in Arlington, VA.

a - Pours a murky yellow color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident. No lacing or head retention, pretty average looking.

s - Smells of pepper, yeast, and light sour apples. More pepper than I would like, but still good.

t - Tastes of pepper again, light sour apples, yeast, and floral notes. The pepper dominates the taste and there is not as much apple as the nose.

m - Medium body and moderate to high carbonation.

o - Overall a pretty average saison. Pepper dominates this one so if that's what you like in a saison, you may enjoy this, but I was looking for more fruit/apples. Wouldn't seek it out again. (699 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -12%

Release #14, bottled 23 April 2012, per the website. Tasted 2 November 2012, reviewed from notes

Pours a pale, slightly golden yellow. Almost completely clear, just gives a soft fuzzy look to the stuff behind it. Nice column of bubbles streaming up. One finger of white head, decent retention, okay lacing.

Smell is funky, tart, and spiced. Funk is the first wave, earthy. Light tart fruit is next, sweet, lasting, and potent. I really like the balance of funk and fruit.

Taste has a weird side that I'm not digging. It's sour and bitter, but in a sharp way that doesn't really work for me. Beyond that, it's fruity and tart. Loads of apple, that only gets more potent as I work my way through the bottle. Gets better as it warms up, for sure - otherwise I would have rated the taste lower. But it's still sharp.

Medium-bodied, enough carbonation. Nothing really remarkable, other than the fuzz. But that could be the alcohol.

An okay saison, not my favorite. I was intrigued by the smell, but the taste has an off bitter side, and not enough positive to counteract it. I keep going back, looking for a taste without that bite, but I'm not finding it. (1,156 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -12%

Sour-Apple Saison has a bright, golden-yellow colored body. The off-white head is large but disappears quickly. A little bit of lacing remains.

The aroma has a lot of tart apple to it, with some light sweetness and some spiciness behind it.

The strongest component of the flavor is a some-what syrupy flavored green apple. It isn't necessarily unpleasant, but it does taste artificial. I'm not sure that it actually is artificial, but it does taste a little bit like that. The malt base is very sweet with a lot of bread, and the yeast adds a lot of fruit on its own. A good amount of phenols come through also.

The body doesn't feel too much like a saison, more like a Belgian Pale. It's a little bit heavy, and it lacks the explosive carbonation that really good saisons always have. With “saison” in the name, that is a little bit of a problem.

I do like this one better than Brainless on peaches, but so far Epic's fruited beer aren't my thing. (956 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a hazy slight golden yellow color that leaves little lacing behind.

Smells of cinnamon apples, like applesauce.

Tastes of a bit of herbs, followed by fruits and some spice. Starts off with some mint and thyme flavors. A bit of apple and pear comes through, but is very light and a bit tart. Spices end everything with some cinnamon, white pepper, and a bit of clove. To me it feels like I am drinking spices mostly, but they are only spicing a very small amount of fruit, and it feels very unbalanced.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, I am not a fan, I get mostly an applesauce type feel where there is way too much cinnamon. (669 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

August 28th, 2013 - Epic Brewing's Sour Apple IPA is a puckering punch in the gums, but beer explorers will find something new and interesting here. The aroma is packed with cinnamon and herbs, even massaged kale. For me, it smells like the interior of a small, gourmet suburban food shop near where I grew up. Inside its cramped quarters the smell of the produce section, the bakery and even the deli all mix together, and that somewhat confusing bouquet of expensive freshness is found here, too. Cinnamon and spice appear in the taste too. Apple is a dominant theme (shock!) but it leans towards apple skins, thickened and mashed. In a broader description, I'd say this is like a baked, unsweetened apple pie, though sour and puckering in a way that brushes up against discomfort. (783 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -13.1%

It poured a hazy yet still somewhat clear golden yellow. Not much of a head remained after pouring but left some nice lacing.

It smell of herbs, couldn't really get past that. I could tell there were some sour notes, but mostly just spices and herb. Kind of a dissapointment.

Tasted very spicy upfront and through out. The sour notes come through towards the aftertaste but are still less than I expected.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, it bounces the spices around the tongue. Helps it feel just right for the 8.1%

Overall, I wouldn't recomend this to a friend and I probably won't be buying it again. I would say if someone really like tastes of herb and spices I might suggest trying it, but I was dissapointed. I was really hoping for a belgian sour saison with more apple notes in it. (788 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -13.4%

Another share from Dan, thanks amigo. 11 oz. poured into a Kishimoto Duvel on October 20, 2012.

A - Pours a light murky golden, with a nice frothy pure white head.

D - Tart granny smith apple juice and skins. A touch herbaceous with banana.

T - Not quite sour enough for a granny smith, more like a semi-sweet golden delicious here. Touch of a bready malt and trace yeast notes in the backend.

M - Very crisp. Light body, but not nearly as dry as it ought to be.

D - I guess I was expecting more of an American wild. While it's not that, it's pretty accessible and would fit in perfectly on a warmer night. The biggest letdown is in the feel, and I didn't sense much depth to this in general. (698 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -14%

This is a good beer, average saison. While nothing pops in and says, "hey, gag on this!" nothing says the opposite, "wow, get a load of me!"

The sour apple designation is the main problem. I get very little apple, and no sour. I hate that it affects my rating, but as an advocate this is a concern.

The body was a bit thin, too. Under carbonated and lacking some spices. Still, nothing was bad and I'd choose this over BMC 101 times out of 100 (446 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -14%

Bottle. Opened with a pretty decent pop and poured into a NB tulip glass. VERY heady, pours a slightly hazed yellow straw color with a white foamy head that is slow to settle. Leaves sticky frothy lace as it settles. Belgian esthers in the nose, some medicinal, pepper. I was hoping for a more fruit forward aroma but not so much. Light mouthfeel. The first thing I notice is the alcohol, slightly boozy. Tart and dry start and finish. Banana, pear, and some apple. Ends with a sour apple on the lips taste. Not bad but not as good as I wanted it to be. (553 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -14.2%

This review is from having it on tap at Bodega. My girl friend really seemed to like it, she drank about 2-3 glasses over a few visits to Bodega. I also tried a little bit of this from the bottle at a recent tasting.

Appearance
This is a super light colored beer. Its a pale straw, one could describe as white. A little bit of haze pushes this beer's whiteness. A short, fizzy cap pops leaving only a few wisps.

Aroma
This has a pretty good smell. Yeast is dominate, but some granny smith apple is there too. The apple doesn't really smell like real, fresh apples, but it smells pleasant enough.

Taste
The yeast is way too dominate here. Its very phenolic. Lots of bandaid, plastic and chalky earth. The apple is there, lending a candy sour apple tartness that helps, but can't quell the yeast.

Mouthfeel
Light and crisp. Luckily it finishes pretty clean.

Overall
Too much yeastiness which is even worse from the bottle. I hope they tweak this since it has good potential. Right now its merely decent from the keg and less impressive out of the bottle. (1,062 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

Thanks to bmanning for opening up this bottle. Served in a wine glass.

Pours a light straw color. There is a bit of a white head, though that dies quickly. The nose has a bit of light green apple plus a bit of hay and straw. There's only a slight bit of yeast and earth. The flavor has a sharp green apple character to it with a strong bite in the finish. Nothing much else there. Maybe light grain. Light body with big carbonation. Just okay. (444 characters)

Pours straw gold with 3 fingers of rich, rocky, thick head.

Smell is typical of the style, tropical fruit, coriander, hint of bubblegum.

Taste is on the slightly bitter side, but not offensive. Hints of sour apple (I'd certainly hope so in a sour apple beer), grass, and horseblanket come and go. There's a bit of alcohol warming goin on, something I've never experienced in saisons before, but not altogether unwelcomed.

Mouthfeel is nice and soothing, coats the palate, but light and airy enough to keep it intriguing.

Overall, a pleasant beer. Worth seeking out. (569 characters)

Clear pale yellow/straw colored pour with a minimal head. Aroma has a good bit of yeast and spice and a little grain. Flavor is a very basic saison...yeast and clove are the dominant flavors. There's also a very light tart apple flavor and a touch of ginger. Finishes with a lingering clove flavor. Expected more. (313 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a pale gold with a good and long lasting head of foam.

I smell the usual spiciness for the style with some green apple tartness.

Spices of coriander and cloves, hints of barnyard, light tartness of green apples. Not my cup of tea as the tart doesn't compliment the traditional flavours of the Saison. (310 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance - 2.5/5
Pours an extremely clear orange-yellow-gold. No head. Can see the carbonation rising up at a moderate rate. The beers clearness makes it looks almost like a cider to me, which I would say earns the beer negative points.

Smell - 2.5/5
Smells of beer and nutmeg. Smells like a pumpkin beer to me. Not what I want with this beer. Besides the nutmeg, there are subtle bready-spicy saison smells as well.

Taste - 2.5/5
Tastes of alcohol, nutmeg (not nearly as strong as the smell though...thank goodness). I am trying real hard to taste the 'sour apple', but the best I can taste is a vague fruity tartness. Overall, this beer is nothing special, doesn't taste like it advertises, and the taste overall is not very good.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Very smooth. Carbonation is fairly light. Light to medium in body. In between creamy and crisp. While the mouthfeel is nothing spectacular, considering all the low ratings for the rest of the beer, the mouthfeel is the best part.

Overall - 2.75/5
I was really expecting a lot more from this beer. I couldn't taste the sour apple at all, and there was the overpowering and seemingly out-of-place nutmeg flavor. There were really no good aspects to this beer. Not something I would ever get again, or ever recommend. This is my first that I can remember from Epic Brewing, and I will probably not be trying anything from them for a long time.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20% (1,475 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a slightly hazy pale golden yellow color with visible carbonation bubbling up and a two finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Spotty lacing left behind.

Earthy, slightly funky aroma with a nice barnyard character that is countered by the sweet apple presence. The sour apple character is kind of artificial/syrupy smelling, reminding me of candy/kids juice box. There's also a slight musty scent with some sweet alcohol and bread/yeast in the nose.

Medium bodied with a lot of tight carbonation up front tickling the tongue. Slightly earthy and very sweet up front with a strong sour apple flavor. Again, this flavor is very syrupy and artificial tasting yet the tartness compliments the funky saison yeast. There's a crisp dryness that lingers into the finish with hints of bread, zesty spice and grass.

Overall, this beer is an interesting idea but the result is a beer that is too sweet and artificial for my liking. A decent amount of tartness and subtle funk but the cloying sour apple flavor is a bit much. (1,050 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -23.5%

This beer is a new beer to the Cincinnati market was in the mood for something a bit funky and this sounds like it fits the bill. The beer was chilled and served in a tulip.

A- The body of the beer is a hazy straw yellow coloration. The beers head is white and about a finger high. The head is rapidly desolving. A few whisp of lace mark the beers passage.

S- High marks on the aroma. The aroma of the beer definitely kicks up some sweet / sour / tart apple cinnamon, ginger and cloves a bit of funky earthyness brings in the rear.

T- Sadly the flavor cannot live up to the aroma. Tart and semi sweet apple peaks out from under an assertive twist of lemon saturated bandaides and crushed asprin. No amount of temperature tinkering improved this.

M- The beer has a light effervescent body. Frankly the body keeps this from being a drain pour.

O- This beer shows some promise. I think the yeast needs to be brought to heel a bit and Epic will have a winner. Not a drain pour but having to work a little to finish the bomber. (1,032 characters)

Sour Apple Saison from Epic Brewing Company