Sour Apple Saison - Epic Brewing Company

good

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.10% ABV

Sweet, yet dry and tart, apples spiced with coriander, grains of paradise, anise, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger. There is no wrong way to enjoy this Saison Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale!

(Beer added by: Wasatch on 06-12-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sour Apple Saison Alström Bros

Karamoore, Aug 20, 2014

deskim, Jan 15, 2013

mccallisters_dali, May 01, 2013

DoctorB2B, Nov 19, 2011

hilgart1, Jun 28, 2014

This review is from having it on tap at Bodega. My girl friend really seemed to like it, she drank about 2-3 glasses over a few visits to Bodega. I also tried a little bit of this from the bottle at a recent tasting.

Appearance
This is a super light colored beer. Its a pale straw, one could describe as white. A little bit of haze pushes this beer's whiteness. A short, fizzy cap pops leaving only a few wisps.

Aroma
This has a pretty good smell. Yeast is dominate, but some granny smith apple is there too. The apple doesn't really smell like real, fresh apples, but it smells pleasant enough.

Taste
The yeast is way too dominate here. Its very phenolic. Lots of bandaid, plastic and chalky earth. The apple is there, lending a candy sour apple tartness that helps, but can't quell the yeast.

Mouthfeel
Light and crisp. Luckily it finishes pretty clean.

Overall
Too much yeastiness which is even worse from the bottle. I hope they tweak this since it has good potential. Right now its merely decent from the keg and less impressive out of the bottle.

MbpBugeye, Aug 01, 2011

djrn2, Jan 12, 2012

muskiesman, Feb 26, 2013

redleg411, Jun 28, 2013

ImperialStout, Jul 05, 2014

CreightonSM, Aug 26, 2013

pinnser, Feb 09, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

Thanks to bmanning for opening up this bottle. Served in a wine glass.

Pours a light straw color. There is a bit of a white head, though that dies quickly. The nose has a bit of light green apple plus a bit of hay and straw. There's only a slight bit of yeast and earth. The flavor has a sharp green apple character to it with a strong bite in the finish. Nothing much else there. Maybe light grain. Light body with big carbonation. Just okay.

Thorpe429, Apr 12, 2011
3.06/5  rDev -12.8%

This is a good beer, average saison. While nothing pops in and says, "hey, gag on this!" nothing says the opposite, "wow, get a load of me!"

The sour apple designation is the main problem. I get very little apple, and no sour. I hate that it affects my rating, but as an advocate this is a concern.

The body was a bit thin, too. Under carbonated and lacking some spices. Still, nothing was bad and I'd choose this over BMC 101 times out of 100

Mebuzzard, Jun 01, 2014
3.08/5  rDev -12.3%

Another share from Dan, thanks amigo. 11 oz. poured into a Kishimoto Duvel on October 20, 2012.

A - Pours a light murky golden, with a nice frothy pure white head.

D - Tart granny smith apple juice and skins. A touch herbaceous with banana.

T - Not quite sour enough for a granny smith, more like a semi-sweet golden delicious here. Touch of a bready malt and trace yeast notes in the backend.

M - Very crisp. Light body, but not nearly as dry as it ought to be.

D - I guess I was expecting more of an American wild. While it's not that, it's pretty accessible and would fit in perfectly on a warmer night. The biggest letdown is in the feel, and I didn't sense much depth to this in general.

Auracom, Nov 06, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -12.3%

Release #14, bottled 23 April 2012, per the website. Tasted 2 November 2012, reviewed from notes

Pours a pale, slightly golden yellow. Almost completely clear, just gives a soft fuzzy look to the stuff behind it. Nice column of bubbles streaming up. One finger of white head, decent retention, okay lacing.

Smell is funky, tart, and spiced. Funk is the first wave, earthy. Light tart fruit is next, sweet, lasting, and potent. I really like the balance of funk and fruit.

Taste has a weird side that I'm not digging. It's sour and bitter, but in a sharp way that doesn't really work for me. Beyond that, it's fruity and tart. Loads of apple, that only gets more potent as I work my way through the bottle. Gets better as it warms up, for sure - otherwise I would have rated the taste lower. But it's still sharp.

Medium-bodied, enough carbonation. Nothing really remarkable, other than the fuzz. But that could be the alcohol.

An okay saison, not my favorite. I was intrigued by the smell, but the taste has an off bitter side, and not enough positive to counteract it. I keep going back, looking for a taste without that bite, but I'm not finding it.

zeledonia, Nov 17, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -12.3%

Bottle. Opened with a pretty decent pop and poured into a NB tulip glass. VERY heady, pours a slightly hazed yellow straw color with a white foamy head that is slow to settle. Leaves sticky frothy lace as it settles. Belgian esthers in the nose, some medicinal, pepper. I was hoping for a more fruit forward aroma but not so much. Light mouthfeel. The first thing I notice is the alcohol, slightly boozy. Tart and dry start and finish. Banana, pear, and some apple. Ends with a sour apple on the lips taste. Not bad but not as good as I wanted it to be.

kbutler1, Sep 16, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -11.7%

It poured a hazy yet still somewhat clear golden yellow. Not much of a head remained after pouring but left some nice lacing.

It smell of herbs, couldn't really get past that. I could tell there were some sour notes, but mostly just spices and herb. Kind of a dissapointment.

Tasted very spicy upfront and through out. The sour notes come through towards the aftertaste but are still less than I expected.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, it bounces the spices around the tongue. Helps it feel just right for the 8.1%

Overall, I wouldn't recomend this to a friend and I probably won't be buying it again. I would say if someone really like tastes of herb and spices I might suggest trying it, but I was dissapointed. I was really hoping for a belgian sour saison with more apple notes in it.

lsummers, Mar 26, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a hazy slight golden yellow color that leaves little lacing behind.

Smells of cinnamon apples, like applesauce.

Tastes of a bit of herbs, followed by fruits and some spice. Starts off with some mint and thyme flavors. A bit of apple and pear comes through, but is very light and a bit tart. Spices end everything with some cinnamon, white pepper, and a bit of clove. To me it feels like I am drinking spices mostly, but they are only spicing a very small amount of fruit, and it feels very unbalanced.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, I am not a fan, I get mostly an applesauce type feel where there is way too much cinnamon.

ocelot2500, Jul 13, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -10.8%

Sour-Apple Saison has a bright, golden-yellow colored body. The off-white head is large but disappears quickly. A little bit of lacing remains.

The aroma has a lot of tart apple to it, with some light sweetness and some spiciness behind it.

The strongest component of the flavor is a some-what syrupy flavored green apple. It isn't necessarily unpleasant, but it does taste artificial. I'm not sure that it actually is artificial, but it does taste a little bit like that. The malt base is very sweet with a lot of bread, and the yeast adds a lot of fruit on its own. A good amount of phenols come through also.

The body doesn't feel too much like a saison, more like a Belgian Pale. It's a little bit heavy, and it lacks the explosive carbonation that really good saisons always have. With “saison” in the name, that is a little bit of a problem.

I do like this one better than Brainless on peaches, but so far Epic's fruited beer aren't my thing.

Hojaminbag, Nov 18, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -10.3%

From 08/12/11 notes. Had on tap at Galaxy Hut in Arlington, VA.

a - Pours a murky yellow color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident. No lacing or head retention, pretty average looking.

s - Smells of pepper, yeast, and light sour apples. More pepper than I would like, but still good.

t - Tastes of pepper again, light sour apples, yeast, and floral notes. The pepper dominates the taste and there is not as much apple as the nose.

m - Medium body and moderate to high carbonation.

o - Overall a pretty average saison. Pepper dominates this one so if that's what you like in a saison, you may enjoy this, but I was looking for more fruit/apples. Wouldn't seek it out again.

mdfb79, Aug 24, 2011