1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Smoked & Oaked Belgian-Style Ale - Epic Brewing Company

Smoked & Oaked Belgian-Style AleSmoked & Oaked Belgian-Style Ale

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.50% ABV

Smoked cherry wood malt brings a smoky sweetness to the caramel malts and a bit of peat flavor with a Belgian-style yeast. The entire batch aging in the whiskey barrels nicely dries out the perceived sweetness of the caramel malt leaving an almost scotch like taste.

(Beer added by: Wasatch on 07-11-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked & Oaked Belgian-Style Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 178 | Reviews: 75 | Show All Ratings:
TheBigLebrewski

1.68/5  rDev -56.7%

Unappealing appearance. Ugly mid-brown, opaque shade that looked cloudy, even muddy.
Smell was an even greater put-off.

The drinking buddy pulled it off the tip of my tongue when he said it smelled like meat. I didn't get meat in the smell, but I certainly do in the flavor - cured, sweet meat. Indeed, the flavor is not too far from Rogue's Voodoo Donut, in certain ways. The Belgian yeast certainly maintains a difference in flavor, but it ends up providing the factor of sweetness that brought the voodoo to mind (which contained maple).

In my opinion, it's not smoky enough. The smoked aspect seemed to be what came through as a bit of salt, and even more-so meat. Which I wouldn't choose as a flavor in any sort of beverage, save maybe bacon bloody marys. The oak was lacking as well, being completely overwhelmed by yeast and malt, and, if anything, contributing to the carnivorous off-flavors.

I was pretty excited about this - I tend to favor both smoked and oaked beers of various styles, but the Belgian sweetness and the weak oakysmokiness didn't pair well at all.

Could the bottle have gone bad?

12-27-2012 08:17:25 | More by TheBigLebrewski
Wasatch

Utah

22oz. Bomber
Exponential Series
1800 Bottles Produced
Release #1
$11.89 ea.

Poured into a chalice a amber color, some carbonation, fizzy white head, which leaves pretty quickly, with some sticky lacing. The nose is, malty, with some yeast, caramel. The taste is malty, yeast note. Medium body. Barely Drinkable.

07-11-2010 21:09:10 | More by Wasatch
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

2.38/5  rDev -38.7%

22oz bottle from the brewery, into an old school NB globe. I think it was around $12. Release #2, 8.8% abv.

A: Pours a burnt sienna color with a stark white head, not quite an inch or so that recedes to a thin cap of bubbles and a few chunks of lacing. Fairly cloudy. A few spots of lacing as the head recedes. Not a bad looking beer.

S: I'm not sure if this is supposed to be infected, but I get some very distinct lacto sour/funky notes from the nose mixed with some yeasty esters and at the back a hint of peat smoke. Decent bit of booze here. Not pleasant.

T: Once again, not sure what the hell they were shooting for here. I get notes of caramel, barbequed pork, banana, cherries, smoke, whiskey, oak, and this odd out of place tart flavor way at the end. Fairly estery in there as well with a few additional notes of cloves and apples as well. Incredibly sweet. This is um...better than the nose leads on, but it is completely all over the place.

M: Medium body, light(er) carbonation, fairly boozey and warm, really really sticky on the finish, I don't think this quite got as dry as they wanted, and the oak aging definitely didn't help dry it out any either.

D: Really not for me, this beer is absolutely all over the place with caramel sweetness and a hint of smoke which work together, but the banana/cherry/tartness is odd expecially on top of massive sweetness in this beer. Maybe it is still a little on the young side, but I think they need to do some serious revisions to this one. Sorry, not a winner.

02-04-2011 02:56:40 | More by pokesbeerdude
kojevergas

2.45/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

1 pint 6 fluid ounce brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an EKU 28 snifter in me gaff in Los Angeles, California. Expectations are below average; I had a beer from this brewery before and I wasn't too keen on it.

Served a bit warmer than refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a somewhat pathetic head of a quarter finger, white colour, hardly any cream, decent thickness, and awful retention (even for the high ABV). Colour is a somewhat dark grapefruit-amber. Nontransparent but not opaque. Some floating yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Oak dominates the aroma, with yeast and hints of cherries. Some peat but not quite smoke. A strange off-the-wall aroma that is intriguing but not quite appealing. A mild strength aroma.

T: Some cherry juice notes that are far too strong and tart for the balance. Misplaced oak tones. Awkward peat. Vague fruit esters. A hint of alcohol. No yeast. The peat is too strong. Clean malts are backgrounded. Poorly constructed and badly balanced. The cherry feels artificial and is badly handled. Almost a bit vinegary. No layering, complexity, or subtlety. It's as though the brewers are using all these advanced brewing processes without having mastered the basics. Where's the balance?

Mf: Smooth and wet. Weak and thin. Not carbonated enough. Badly handled. Doesn't suit the flavour profile well at all.

Dr: What is with all the hype for this brewery? This is the second beer from them I've had that I haven't liked at all. Pricey for its limited quality. A big disappointment. I won't be purchasing another Epic Brewing beer unless it's recommended by a friend, has fantastic reviews, or is the only good option. Hard to drink because it's not good. Not quaffable. I wouldn't recommend this to friends or even to fans of the style. A terrible waste of advanced brewing methods and time.

High D+

04-07-2012 07:05:02 | More by kojevergas
JohnGalt1

Idaho

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Inflatablechair opened this one a while back.. Thanks Sammy.

Pours a hazed orange with a decent lite tan head.

Nose is a pretty standard Belgian strong ale... overly phenolic IMO... tons of clove and quite a bit of band-aid... the phenols go a good way to masking the smoke and the oak... in fact, I get no oak at all... the smoke is more of a bacon aroma.

Flavor is about the same.... sorta acrid bacon with a syrup sweet maltiness... again, the phenols seem stale and medicinal.. tastes like a medicine chest... the sweetness is accentuated by a brutal estery presence... thick apricot and overripe plum.... not digging this one at all.

body and carbonation are both about right... medium...

I need to revisit this one, but I hesitate given the $$$ price tag.

3.5/3/2.5/3.5/2.5

12-28-2011 07:20:24 | More by JohnGalt1
TMoney2591

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Thanks to JayQue for this bottle!

Perhaps this would reach pure perfection if it were also yolked...? Either way, it pours a mostly clear magenta-ruby topped by a finger of light tan foam. The nose comprises caramel, candi sugar, banana, clove, light Band-Aid, and a small wave of honey-glazed ham after a little bit o' time sniffing at things. The taste holds notes of caramel, clove, black pepper, banana peel, vanilla, orange peel, honey, and a sort of bitter Band-Aid. The smoke isn't exactly pervasive, and never really achieves any kind of smokiness, just elastic strips that are used to stem the tide of blood flowing from breaks in the skin. All I know is that it doesn't taste very pleasant. The body is a straight medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a lightly syrupy feel. Overall, an okay beer, but the smoke (if you can call it that) doesn't help anything, and the oak does very little, if anything. Not really a fan, here...just disappointed...

11-18-2011 04:04:04 | More by TMoney2591
chadlebald

3.38/5  rDev -12.9%

An interesting beer for sure.

Pours a cloudy, almost 'chunky' looking way--looks a bit similar to an apple cider (non alcoholic kind).

Aroma is prett nice - both the oak and smoke come through. Caramelly sweet too. Vanilla.

Taste is what kind of throws me - again, both the oak (taste of whisky barrel) and smokiness are there. I like both of those favors in my beers, but combined, my jury is still out: like they are competing for my affection. How does one choose a favorite child? alcohol is quite present too, which seems to go well with the aforementioned whisky oak.

A lot going on in this brew. Worth a try, for sure. Curious to see where YOUR jury nets out!

12-02-2011 02:14:26 | More by chadlebald
gford217

Georgia

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

22oz bottle.

Pours clear amber with a small bubbly beige head that recedes and leaves little lacing.

Aroma is ever-so-slightly smoked with lots of sweet Belgian yeast esters and caramelized sugar.

Taste is more of the same with the sweetness of the Belgian yeast and dark fruits melding with the lightly smoked malts.

Mouthfeel is light bodied for the style with soft carbonation.

This is a subtle beer all the way around. Light sweetness, light smokiness, easy drinking but nothing memorable.

03-29-2012 02:53:59 | More by gford217
alysmith4

District of Columbia

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

I got this beer as a birthday gift, and was finally brave enough to try it the other night. I had a bad experience with scotch once, and just can't get past that taste and smell. Unfortunately, this beer was very scotch-like (which for most people is probably a good thing!), so I can't say I enjoyed it. I do think it's a well-crafted beer however, despite my aversion to it.

08-17-2012 17:53:13 | More by alysmith4
jzeilinger

3.48/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Batch #9

A - Pours a hazy raisin chestnut brown color with a small amount of head retention and a fairly thin, cream colored lacing ring. Hazy when cold and clears as the beer warms.

S - Dark Belgian candy sugar, caramel toffee malt, figs, raisins, and bready thick aroma.

T - A mixture of of whisky/bourbon, sweet caramel and toffee bread-like malt, oak, vanilla, , some cherries, and prunes.

M - Thick, full bodied, slippery, and sticky with alcohol warming in the back of the the throat.

O - The first thing that comes to mind is "thick and boozy". The smoke character was completely gone but I'm reviewing Batch #9 and I believe the Batch # is now somewhere around 18 so it's to be expected. I'd like to try a newer batch because this is drinking more like a barleywine right now.

09-24-2013 01:18:27 | More by jzeilinger
Thorpe429

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to nmann08 for sharing this bottle last weekend. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

Pours a fairly-clear light brown-copper color with a good white head and a bit of lacing. The nose has a moderate amount of oak plus some semi-sweet malts. Smoke is moderate. The flavor is similar. Everything is really muddled and "in between," though nothing is really off. The smoked character isn't too heavy as to be overpowering, which is refreshing. Light-medium body. Interesting, but probably not something that I would come back to.

01-19-2012 00:56:33 | More by Thorpe429
billab914

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Bruery tulip. It poured a murky caramel color with a modest, frothy head barely covering the top of the beer.

The aroma shows a lot of the sweeter, caramel malts to it. I get just a little of the smoke along with some crisp, tart fruits.

The taste shows more of the sweeter, caramel malts to it up front. Midway it seems all about the Belgian yeast and crisp fruits, while the finish is where the smoke really shines. It's very cool how the flavors change so much and how different they are. The smoke in the finish is probably my favorite while up front it feels a little more overly sweet and unbalanced.

The mouthfeel is leaning towards the heavier side with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was a decent beer, I liked the smoke to it but it also felt a little overly sweet and sugary at times. It was a neat range of flavors, but they didn't really come together all that well.

01-29-2012 03:33:13 | More by billab914
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.53/5  rDev -9%

Pours a copper amber color. A layer of beige head with a little bit of lace left.

Aroma: Smoke and some roasted malts. Liquid bacon. A hint of whiskey and some oak. Light spice.

Taste: Much like the nose, but more bacon flavors. The whiskey adds a nice layer. Fairly oaky. Campfire smoke. Where are the Belgian flavors?

Mouthfeel: Smoked and dry. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with more smoked flavors.

Overall, this was a decent beer, but I would have never guessed this to be a Belgian. It reminds me more of a German rauchbier. Decent stuff.

06-11-2011 01:10:28 | More by mothman
JayQue

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Not bad! More smokey than Belgian, but is goes down nicely. Poured into my Chimay goblet. An orangy brown color with a smallish off white head. About average head retention and minimal lacing.

Aroma a bit weak for a Belgian. A little dark fruit and some smokiness. None of the yeast, spices, candi sugar etc that you would expect in a strong Belgian.

Taste is pretty good. THe smokiness is just right and there is some malt, dark fruit and a little sweetness to round things out.

Mouthfeel is rich, there is a distinct alcohol "burn" but not enough to ruin the drinking experience. A year's aging is probably in order.

Not a top-tier Belgian Strong Dark Ale, but not a bad beer either.

12-17-2012 01:41:29 | More by JayQue
StoutHunter

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Epic's Smoked and Oaked Belgian Style Ale a couple months ago for $9.89 at The Lager Mill. I've been holding on to this one for a little while and since I like smoked beers and Oak aged beers I thought this would be pretty interesting to try, I don't think I have ever had a smoked beer that was aged in barrels, so lets see how it goes. Release #9 2011 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is pretty simple and plain looking, it's not that eye catching. It poured a nice looking caramel brown color that took on a slight ruby and burn orange hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, the color was very nice and the head and lacing were nice for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a medium smoke aroma with some malts coming up next imparting some caramel and sweet malt aromas with a good amount of dark fruits and some brown bread in the background. Up next comes a medium amount of yeast that has an abbey ale yeast like aroma with some oak and vanilla aromas with a light bourbon like flavor that show up towards the end along with a slight boozy aroma. The aroma is nice, the smoke and oak aren't too overpowering, but there's a little too much sweetness for me..

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a high amount of sweetness that's a little too strong and imparts a brown sugar like flavor followed by a lighter smoke flavor that gives way to loads of malts that have a caramel and sweet malt like flavors with some brown bread in the background and some dark fruits showing up nicely. Up next comes some woody, oak and vanilla like flavors with a slight bit of alcohol showing up with some Belgian yeast in the background. On the finish I get a light amount of bitterness with a slight bourbon like flavor with a very sweet, caramel and woody aftertaste with just a slight bit of smoke. This beer tastes nice, but I thought the sweetness was just too overpowering.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly warming alcohol, cloying, sticky, rich, full bodied, with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, I liked the richness, but I thought the it was too cloying and sticky.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of the style, I can see the Belgian Strong Dark Ale base coming through in this beer and it wasn't buried under the smoke and oak flavors which made it well balanced for the most part but the sweetness threw that off a little. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, the alcohol was hidden well and the flavor did a decent job at holding my attention, but the sweetness was to sticky and cloying, half a bottle is enough for me, I think the sweetness would become too much if tried to drink the whole bottle by myself. What I liked the most about this beer was how balanced the oak and smoked aspects were, neither one was too overpowering. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was too overpowering and that really hurt the drinkability. I don't think I would buy this beer again, I like most of the flavors, but it's just too sweet for me and it was a little pricey, if I didn't get 20% off I don't think I would have bought it, but I might order a glass of a newer batch to see what it's like fresh and I would recommend this to people who like sweet beers, barley wines, and barrel aged beers. All in all this was an interesting beer, I liked the combination of the smoked malts and bourbon barrels, the combination makes for a flavor that reminds me a little of scotch. This wasn't the best beer I have had from Epic, but it was far from the worst and I appreciated it for the most part but the sweetness was just not for me. I'm still not that experienced with Epic, but they do make some interesting beers, nice work guys.

07-11-2013 04:02:19 | More by StoutHunter
mdfb79

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

From 01/15/12 notes. Thanks to nmann08 for sharing this one.

a - Pours a medium amber color with two inches of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of fruity malts, light spice, smoked malts, peat. Less smoked than I was expecting, and decently fruity.

t - Tastes of smoked malts, smoked bacon, fruity malts, caramel, toasted and roasted malts. Much more smoke here than in the nose.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall a decent smoked beer. Nose isn't overpowering, and has some nice fruit, and then the taste hits you with a ton of smoke. Worth checking out if you liked smoked beers.

01-23-2012 21:33:30 | More by mdfb79
womencantsail

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

The beer is brown in color with an off-white head. As expected, lots of smoke on the nose. Fairly nutty and a mild meatiness. Just a bit of salt in there as well. A mild sweetness of toffee and brown sugar. The flavor has a nice toffee malt sweetness, more than the aroma, to go along with the pronounced smokiness. Lots of salt, toasted nuts, and a bit of a woodiness.

07-18-2012 21:41:52 | More by womencantsail
ebrauser

Utah

Poured from a 22 oz into a pint glass

Appearance: Dark red/amber with a tight beige head and lots of CO2. Minimal lacing, though head retention is good.

Smell: Smoked salmon and subtle grapes

Flavor: Smokey-sweet. Starts with a sweet grape juice (almost vinous) flavor then taken over by strong smoke. Along with vanilla and light fruits, there is another sort of flavor, I think it is what Epic calls 'peat.'

MF: Light like a belgian, but with substantial flavor and minimal yeastiness. Easy to drink but the smoke might be too strong for multiples of this beer.

03-14-2011 05:01:51 | More by ebrauser
Pencible

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

A: This poured a cloudy dark copper with almost no head.
S: It smelled like banana nut bread and smoked malt, with a little caramel and ham.
T: It tasted like ham and banana nut bread, with some smokey barley and metallic hops. It had a bittersweet and smokey aftertaste that was a bit harsh.
M: It was somewhat thick with moderate carbonation. Nice body.
D: This was a pretty nice beer. The scent and taste were good, like half dubbel and half rauchbier. The body was good too, and the alcohol was well hidden, so it was pretty easy to drink. Not sure if it will improve with age. It's nice fresh, but enjoyable mostly just as a one time novelty.

07-19-2011 01:24:09 | More by Pencible
OsuJohn

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

A- dark amber and cloudy. Very little head.

S-sweet hints of bourbon? It smells malty with bread aroma.

T- the first sip is complex, but the smoke flavor is evident in the end of the end.

M- on first sip I can taste the alcohol. There us a heaviness but I think it comes from the abundance of flavors.

O- I wish I was eating bbq right now! This is a pretty good here but would be great with some food. I think I could go through a couple of these on there own, but would have to deity it up eventually.

11-10-2011 05:45:32 | More by OsuJohn
metter98

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is very hazy amber orange in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation near the edges of the glass. It poured with a quarter finger high beige head that died down, leaving delicate lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderately strong aromas of oak from the barrel aging are present in the nose along with some hints of smoke.
T: The taste is nearly an inverse of the smell—there are lots of flavors of iodine and Band-Aids from the smoke and notes of oak from the barrel aging and hints of whiskey. No flavors of dark fruits or Belgian Yeast are perceptible.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is rather drinkable as it hides its alcohol very well. It seems to takes more like a Rauchbier than a Belgian-Style Ale.

02-07-2014 04:40:31 | More by metter98
beerthulhu

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Release #7.

A: Deep burgundy when backlighted exposes a dense turbidity of swirling particulate matter in the vessel. A whispy desert sand tinted head is weak on the hold but offers some lace.

S: The aroma was decent, oaky alcohol character dominates, some scotch but not much smokiness.

T: The flavor was strong oaky alcohol upfront, scotch laced fruitiness of apples, along with some sugar malt and dry grainy toasted grains. Sweet and boozy, warm alcohol at punch out. The smokiness lies low but offers gentle hints and compliments. Smoked toffee and munich sweetness along with some figs. Nice flavor though the booziness takes over at times.

M: Slippery and syrupy texture, sweet and boozy, low carbonation with a boozy warmth on the swallow.

O: Overall the smokiness is very subtle, the alcohol not so much with a boozy fruitiness that makes this a slow sipper but with an interesting complexity.

05-06-2012 13:00:33 | More by beerthulhu
beergoot

Colorado

3.74/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Murky orange colored body with a thin yet persistent head; lots of lively carbonation. Slight smoke aroma with a stronger presence of ripe fruit and heavy malts. Heavy sweet flavor; caramel and toffee; a bit of Belgian yeast funk and strong hop bitterness. Heavy body yet fairly dry finish despite the strong malt sweetness.

A pretty decent big beer. Respectably balanced with a strong malt sweetness over all but tempered with subdued phenol and hop bitterness characteristics. You may detect some boozy notes, but they're pretty well kept in check with the other taste components. A good, cold weather sipper.

12-07-2013 01:33:43 | More by beergoot
superspak

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass, batch 9, bottled 11/7/2011. Pours hazy reddish brown color with a small 1 finger fairly dense khaki head with good retention that reduces to a thin ring of lace. Some minimal spotty lacing on the glass. Aromas of big bourbon, caramel, banana, clove, toffee, molasses, apple, raisin, oak, and yeast spices. Some pretty nice aromas with good strength and balance. Taste of big caramel, toffee, raisin, apple, molasses, pepper, clove, banana, oak, vanilla, butterscotch, light bourbon, and light yeast spices. Lingering notes of caramel, toffee, bourbon, oak, molasses, dark fruit, and yeast spices on the finish for a good bit. Some nice balance of malty flavors, with no cloying sweetness. Medium carbonation and fairly full bodied; with a very creamy and slightly slick mouthfeel. Alcohol is very well hidden with hardly any warming present after the finish. Quite drinkable but is still definitely a sipper. Overall this is a nice and very enjoyable Belgian style ale. I really did not notice much smokiness at all; however, it had a nice and quite complex malt flavor profile from the bourbon barrel aging. Very enjoyable to sip on.

04-23-2012 04:03:59 | More by superspak
hreb

Washington

3.76/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Release #27, SLC#1501, 11.9%alc./vol. 22oz of apparently 1,800 bottles produced. Served in an imperial pint glass this beer pours thick and sludgy, resisting any head formation, reddish brown in color, and not at all transparent. Heavy, sweet fruity aroma, reminiscent of apple juice. Or raisins. I'm not getting smoke in the nose, but I could be convinced this is barleywine. Flavor confirms it: this is barleywine, and a pretty good one at that. More dark fruit than dark Belgian ale. Prunes. And quite a bit of residual sugar. There is a little bit of a Belgian yeast note in the finish, but that's really all. I don't think this beer is properly called Belgian in any legitimate sense. "Imperial" might be a better descriptor. Anyway, it's quite enjoyable, though I'd been hoping for smokier.

04-09-2014 02:58:26 | More by hreb