Smoked & Oaked Belgian-Style Ale - Epic Brewing Company

Smoked & Oaked Belgian-Style AleSmoked & Oaked Belgian-Style Ale

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  11.90% ABV

Smoked cherry wood malt brings a smoky sweetness to the caramel malts and a bit of peat flavor with a Belgian-style yeast. The entire batch aging in the whiskey barrels nicely dries out the perceived sweetness of the caramel malt leaving an almost scotch like taste.

ABV varies by batch.

(Beer added by: Wasatch on 07-11-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked & Oaked Belgian-Style Ale Alström Bros

beerloverofbham, Jul 31, 2013

Rast, Jul 31, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

JamFuel, Jul 28, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Envelopes, Jul 23, 2013

DmanGTR, Jul 20, 2013
3.91/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Moderate finger’s worth of humble light tan foam, mix of small to medium sized bubbles, not much retention, this lacing is close to nonexistent, it’s there for a second but no stickiness whatsoever. Very mild film to the muddy to clay brown and orange color, looks like the water after some catfish hunting, few bubbles visible but the beads are active and tight. The nose is right out of the play book, dripping with coconut, butterscotch, caramel, crème brûlée and a sweet smokiness, light banana and then apricot, peach cobbler, for the ABV avoids undue alcoholic heat. Full-bodied, the attack has a tingly carbonation but it does not last consistently through the mid-palate and finish. By no means is it lifeless but there is nothing refreshing nor lively about it. The cola, butterscotch, caramel, coconut to dried beef jerky, peat and smoky camp fire just anchors it deeper, no joyous dancing. Very smoky in a sweet vein, again the apricot, peach, cherry fruit is all concentrated like a dessert. There is a metallic and earthy element which becomes more evident through the finish. This beer has character and personality but not a balanced harmony.

farrago, Jul 19, 2013
3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

eyes...
on a reasonable pour this fizzes out pretty quickly, it has the appearance of almost out of carbonation soda pop (yes, because I felt like typing 'pop'), kind of medium mud stomp brown, like a deep dirty puddle, bubbles sort of exist bumping into each other like drunks at 3am, ok looking

nose...
tart and sharp notes (apple?), of course there is some smoke, it is more of a hint of bonfire than a full out onslaught of meaty ember goodness, you can sense the alcohol slyly hiding in the background adding in some whiskey notes, smells nice

taste etc...
definite whiskey notes, kind of medium bodied, the carbonation is very subtle... and it works here, I think any higher level of carbonation would really distract from this, the more I drink this the more I think of whiskey, of course it is not as dense as whiskey but the smoke and ABV are doing a good job of mimicry here, nice warm buzz in the ole gullet, the smoke just smooths out the flavor and is pretty subdued (and generally I love the super smoke action like in bamburg classics), I can't say this is some utterly complex onion requiring peeling but it defintely deserves to be sipped and enjoyed over a period of an evening, the flavors are quite subtle but the alcohol is strong which is a testament to the brewer here (meaning you get really nice flavor but the alcohol is a partner not the driver)

verdict?
the more I sip the more I enjoy. even on this mega humid night sitting out on my deck this
grows on you, it is not overwhelming in any fashion but really seduces you.
a definite night cap pick to reminisce with friends for one of those conversations about the old days

Ego, Jul 16, 2013

Poured into a 3 Monts tulip. Pours a ruddy orange amber with a fine one finger off-white head with good retention and lots of lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with great oak, vanilla and a hint of smoke. Flavor follows with sweet caramel malt, peaty smoke and vanilla from the oak, quite nice. Medium bodied with some creaminess. An interesting oaked ale that is not too unlike a scotch and ale mixture. Little Belgian yeast or character, but if they are suppressed, it is by a nicely balanced oaky, lightly smoky malt. I enjoyed this.

LiquidAmber, Jul 15, 2013
3.55/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Epic's Smoked and Oaked Belgian Style Ale a couple months ago for $9.89 at The Lager Mill. I've been holding on to this one for a little while and since I like smoked beers and Oak aged beers I thought this would be pretty interesting to try, I don't think I have ever had a smoked beer that was aged in barrels, so lets see how it goes. Release #9 2011 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is pretty simple and plain looking, it's not that eye catching. It poured a nice looking caramel brown color that took on a slight ruby and burn orange hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, the color was very nice and the head and lacing were nice for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a medium smoke aroma with some malts coming up next imparting some caramel and sweet malt aromas with a good amount of dark fruits and some brown bread in the background. Up next comes a medium amount of yeast that has an abbey ale yeast like aroma with some oak and vanilla aromas with a light bourbon like flavor that show up towards the end along with a slight boozy aroma. The aroma is nice, the smoke and oak aren't too overpowering, but there's a little too much sweetness for me..

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a high amount of sweetness that's a little too strong and imparts a brown sugar like flavor followed by a lighter smoke flavor that gives way to loads of malts that have a caramel and sweet malt like flavors with some brown bread in the background and some dark fruits showing up nicely. Up next comes some woody, oak and vanilla like flavors with a slight bit of alcohol showing up with some Belgian yeast in the background. On the finish I get a light amount of bitterness with a slight bourbon like flavor with a very sweet, caramel and woody aftertaste with just a slight bit of smoke. This beer tastes nice, but I thought the sweetness was just too overpowering.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly warming alcohol, cloying, sticky, rich, full bodied, with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, I liked the richness, but I thought the it was too cloying and sticky.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of the style, I can see the Belgian Strong Dark Ale base coming through in this beer and it wasn't buried under the smoke and oak flavors which made it well balanced for the most part but the sweetness threw that off a little. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, the alcohol was hidden well and the flavor did a decent job at holding my attention, but the sweetness was to sticky and cloying, half a bottle is enough for me, I think the sweetness would become too much if tried to drink the whole bottle by myself. What I liked the most about this beer was how balanced the oak and smoked aspects were, neither one was too overpowering. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was too overpowering and that really hurt the drinkability. I don't think I would buy this beer again, I like most of the flavors, but it's just too sweet for me and it was a little pricey, if I didn't get 20% off I don't think I would have bought it, but I might order a glass of a newer batch to see what it's like fresh and I would recommend this to people who like sweet beers, barley wines, and barrel aged beers. All in all this was an interesting beer, I liked the combination of the smoked malts and bourbon barrels, the combination makes for a flavor that reminds me a little of scotch. This wasn't the best beer I have had from Epic, but it was far from the worst and I appreciated it for the most part but the sweetness was just not for me. I'm still not that experienced with Epic, but they do make some interesting beers, nice work guys.

StoutHunter, Jul 11, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

thebouch01, Jun 29, 2013

outoffocus, Jun 24, 2013
3.83/5  rDev -1%

Beer pours a hazy caramel brown with a thin khaki head. It smells of candied sugar, caramel and peaty smoke with a very slight yeasty and fruity background. A very unique scent.

The beer mixes the flavor of scotch and the qualities of a Belgian ale well. The beer begins with a flavor of caramel and candied apple. The smoke comes into play midway through and plays well with the candied sugar flavor. Even if only imagined there is a peat like finish leaving me to believe there was use of scotch barrels. Unfortunately the mouthfeel is a little thin and I would have preferred emphasis on the Belgian style with a greater level of carbonation. Would be niceif it was bottle conditioned with cor and cage, but that would likely increase the price and may not currently be possible at this brewery.

A unique and enjoyable brew. Along with the sage saison, I am beginning to enjoy this breweries unique style.

Jmamay22, Jun 15, 2013

ralphw56, Apr 19, 2013

bulldogg915, Apr 14, 2013
4.19/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Burnt orange with reddish hues. Khaki head that sticks around for a while.

S: Smoke, booze, vanilla, mild yeast.

T: Sweet caramel, vanilla, mild bourbon, candi sugar, molasses, a little oak, bacon and smoke on the back end. Nice combo.

M: Sticky, viscous, full, and satisfying. Booze mildly detectable but not abrasively so.

Overall, this is another solid offering from Epic. I would definitely have it again.

bcostner1, Apr 08, 2013