Brown Rice Ale - Epic Brewing Company

Brown Rice AleBrown Rice Ale

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.70% ABV

An light ale made with organic brown rice. Very drinkable and quenching! The taste is super clean, almost lager like, with a hint of spiciness and clean nutty brown rice finish. NOT a Gluten Free Beer! Perfect for late afternoon picnic or a barbeque going long into the night.

(Beer added by: Wasatch on 08-15-2010)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.4/5  rDev +16%

Mikepizza, Aug 25, 2014
3.38/5  rDev +15.4%

Release #4

A lot of choices from Epic Brewing and I randomly picked this beer to be my first from this brewery. Let's see if I come back and buy other of their beers.

Clear golden color with nice two fingers of head that had good retention. The head slowly settles to a respectable cap. Light spotty lacing is left on the glass.

The aroma is very weak and not particularly interesting. A little dry malt and maybe some lemon grass.

To me this beer seems like a blond ale. Lightly flavored. It is clean tasting and slightly dry. A bit surprised by the level of bitterness. But it lacks flavor from the hops. A little medicinal qualities is all that I can get from the hops.

Light body with nice carbonation that gives a good overall texture.

A nice little beer but not worth the $5 bomber. Maybe one of their other beers will interest me more but not ready to buy one of their $10 bombers yet.

morimech, Jun 19, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -6.1%

GRG1313, Aug 15, 2012
3.1/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a hazy golden with a good white head with nice lace.

Aroma is plain pale malts and little else... maybe some way in the background earthy hoppiness.

Flavor is like a watered down malt extract.. very mild nutty note I guess comes from the wild rice, but I could be imagining things.

Surprisingly, the light body seems about right... carbonation too...

Very drinkable ... but I am having a hard time finding more to write about.

4/3/3/3.5/3

ygtbsm94, Mar 13, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -14.7%

nmann08, Mar 12, 2012
3.28/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle shared by Timbo, thanks man! A interesting beer. Pours a cloudy yellow color with a small white head. The aroma is sweet grains, honey, unusual and certainly akin to brown rice. The flavor is smooth and very easygoing; rich grainy/earthy rich flavors, citrus, oranges, light hops. Very interesting

Douglas88, Jan 04, 2011

DerwinWentworth, Mar 27, 2012
2.93/5  rDev 0%

Pours a hazy amber in the tall wine glass. A decent head and nice lacing. A bit slick on the tongue. A medium body. Well carbonated.

Light and murky, rather sharp. Sort of a cereal taste. Mellow with some sweetness, and not entirely unlike malt. A little mango or pineapple in the nose. Some tangy fruitiness in the flavor. This is not my idea of a refreshing beer, not is it a very interesting oddity. If it contained sensational antioxidants, we might take notice.

I"m baffled by the category, but I don't know what to call it either -- craft version of American Adjunct Lager? From the 22 oz bottle, courtesy of our friends at Utah State Liquor Store in Sugar House. Release #5.

mactrail, Jul 12, 2012
3.15/5  rDev +7.5%

22oz bottle direct from the brewery, can't remember the price but it was around $5? Maybe? Into a New Belgium globe.

A: Pours a light copper, excellent clarity and a white head about half an inch thick or so that recedes to a ring of bubbles around the glass and a thin white cap.

S: Um, this doesn't smell like much. Maybe a little bit of malt, and some cooked rice? No hops, and really nothing to speak of in terms of yeast. Really bland here.

T: Mild malt bill, and a bit of graininess, cooked brown rice and just a hint of bitterness at the very end. Very mild flavors, I wouldn't say sweet, but there is a bit of sweetness. Pretty blah, but not offensive.

M: Light, nicely carbonated, and very dry. This is probably the best part of the beer.

D: Easy to drink, but really doesn't have a lot going for it. I can't say that its bad, but it isn't very flavorful either. Not sure what they were really shooting for here.

pokesbeerdude, Sep 22, 2010

22oz. Bomber
Exponential Series
1800 Bottles Produced
Release #2
$4.29 ea.

Pours a clean/clear dark golden yellow color, some carbonation, small fizzy off-white head, with some minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with a slight hop note. The taste is sweet, malty, little hop note, and some spicyness. Medium body, the finish is slightly bitter and dry. Would not buy this beer again.

Wasatch, Aug 15, 2010

mhaugo, Jul 02, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +33.1%

I bought (and drank) this awhile ago from Brewer's Haven in Boise. reviewing from notes. I knew from the get go that this beer would be different, but I tend to really enjoy the effect of rice in brewing as I'm a big sake fan. Obviously there are some bmc exceptions that I don't care for, but especially the use of brown, wild, or red rice really gives some interesting flavor components to a beer, usually a nice nuttiness, and sometimes a waxy quality that I like. I could see that this could be a beer that would be easy to dislike, though. That being said, I'm glad it was brewed and glad I got a chance to try it. Surprisingly, it poured a clear golden with a somewhat thin but creamy head. It had a very light aroma, like a japanese style lager, but quite clean. Unfortunately, none of those nice rice flavors, just a lightening effect. Tastes a bit strange at first, definitely of brown rice, but as it opened up it grew on me with nutty, chewy, grainy, and waxy notes. Waxy and smooth on the palate, I enjoyed this overall, but even I wouldn't want to drink many of them, and I'm probably going to be more partial to this style than most people. Interesting.

Georgiabeer, Jun 11, 2011
3.03/5  rDev +3.4%

Beer #59 in my great Utah Brew Hunt.

Okay, what the funk is this? I mean, is this supposed to resemble an English Brown Ale? Because, it most certainly does not. What it strikes me as is something akin to a homebrew. I'll give it that it's a good homebrew, and is certainly drinkable. But sheesh. Hard to quantify a rating on this, if we are judging to style. The beer is drinkable and is okay, but stands very alone in its character; which might work just fine for some people.

RblWthACoz, Oct 05, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +28%

ImperialStout, Jan 06, 2014
2.65/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked this up at the France 44 Store.

Pours clear yellow with a 1 1/2 finger white head with decent retention and some lacing. The aroma is pretty bland with some malt and grains. Not much of a hop presence.

The taste also has malt and grains with a bit of sweetness. Fairly bland. Not much else to say.

Light bodied with good carbonation. Finishes dry. I am not sure how this compares to other English Pale Mild Ales, but this one is pretty bland and boring to me.

hardy008, Sep 10, 2011