Brown Rice Ale - Epic Brewing Company

Brown Rice AleBrown Rice Ale

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.70% ABV

An light ale made with organic brown rice. Very drinkable and quenching! The taste is super clean, almost lager like, with a hint of spiciness and clean nutty brown rice finish. NOT a Gluten Free Beer! Perfect for late afternoon picnic or a barbeque going long into the night.

(Beer added by: Wasatch on 08-15-2010)
Mikepizza

1.5/5  rDev -48.8%

02-24-2013 13:52:54 | More by Irish12
RblWthACoz

3.03/5  rDev +3.4%

Beer #59 in my great Utah Brew Hunt.

Okay, what the funk is this? I mean, is this supposed to resemble an English Brown Ale? Because, it most certainly does not. What it strikes me as is something akin to a homebrew. I'll give it that it's a good homebrew, and is certainly drinkable. But sheesh. Hard to quantify a rating on this, if we are judging to style. The beer is drinkable and is okay, but stands very alone in its character; which might work just fine for some people.

10-05-2012 02:28:49 | More by RblWthACoz
GRG1313

2.75/5  rDev -6.1%

08-15-2012 02:56:14 | More by GRG1313
mactrail

Washington

2.93/5  rDev 0%

Pours a hazy amber in the tall wine glass. A decent head and nice lacing. A bit slick on the tongue. A medium body. Well carbonated.

Light and murky, rather sharp. Sort of a cereal taste. Mellow with some sweetness, and not entirely unlike malt. A little mango or pineapple in the nose. Some tangy fruitiness in the flavor. This is not my idea of a refreshing beer, not is it a very interesting oddity. If it contained sensational antioxidants, we might take notice.

I"m baffled by the category, but I don't know what to call it either -- craft version of American Adjunct Lager? From the 22 oz bottle, courtesy of our friends at Utah State Liquor Store in Sugar House. Release #5.

07-12-2012 05:59:55 | More by mactrail

03-12-2012 01:22:55 | More by nmann08
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.1/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a hazy golden with a good white head with nice lace.

Aroma is plain pale malts and little else... maybe some way in the background earthy hoppiness.

Flavor is like a watered down malt extract.. very mild nutty note I guess comes from the wild rice, but I could be imagining things.

Surprisingly, the light body seems about right... carbonation too...

Very drinkable ... but I am having a hard time finding more to write about.

4/3/3/3.5/3

12-27-2011 06:02:33 | More by JohnGalt1
hardy008

2.65/5  rDev -9.6%

Picked this up at the France 44 Store.

Pours clear yellow with a 1 1/2 finger white head with decent retention and some lacing. The aroma is pretty bland with some malt and grains. Not much of a hop presence.

The taste also has malt and grains with a bit of sweetness. Fairly bland. Not much else to say.

Light bodied with good carbonation. Finishes dry. I am not sure how this compares to other English Pale Mild Ales, but this one is pretty bland and boring to me.

09-10-2011 17:42:58 | More by hardy008
morimech

3.38/5  rDev +15.4%

Release #4

A lot of choices from Epic Brewing and I randomly picked this beer to be my first from this brewery. Let's see if I come back and buy other of their beers.

Clear golden color with nice two fingers of head that had good retention. The head slowly settles to a respectable cap. Light spotty lacing is left on the glass.

The aroma is very weak and not particularly interesting. A little dry malt and maybe some lemon grass.

To me this beer seems like a blond ale. Lightly flavored. It is clean tasting and slightly dry. A bit surprised by the level of bitterness. But it lacks flavor from the hops. A little medicinal qualities is all that I can get from the hops.

Light body with nice carbonation that gives a good overall texture.

A nice little beer but not worth the $5 bomber. Maybe one of their other beers will interest me more but not ready to buy one of their $10 bombers yet.

06-19-2011 18:08:43 | More by morimech
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev +33.1%

I bought (and drank) this awhile ago from Brewer's Haven in Boise. reviewing from notes. I knew from the get go that this beer would be different, but I tend to really enjoy the effect of rice in brewing as I'm a big sake fan. Obviously there are some bmc exceptions that I don't care for, but especially the use of brown, wild, or red rice really gives some interesting flavor components to a beer, usually a nice nuttiness, and sometimes a waxy quality that I like. I could see that this could be a beer that would be easy to dislike, though. That being said, I'm glad it was brewed and glad I got a chance to try it. Surprisingly, it poured a clear golden with a somewhat thin but creamy head. It had a very light aroma, like a japanese style lager, but quite clean. Unfortunately, none of those nice rice flavors, just a lightening effect. Tastes a bit strange at first, definitely of brown rice, but as it opened up it grew on me with nutty, chewy, grainy, and waxy notes. Waxy and smooth on the palate, I enjoyed this overall, but even I wouldn't want to drink many of them, and I'm probably going to be more partial to this style than most people. Interesting.

06-11-2011 22:00:28 | More by Georgiabeer
Douglas88

3.28/5  rDev +11.9%

22 ounce bottle shared by Timbo, thanks man! A interesting beer. Pours a cloudy yellow color with a small white head. The aroma is sweet grains, honey, unusual and certainly akin to brown rice. The flavor is smooth and very easygoing; rich grainy/earthy rich flavors, citrus, oranges, light hops. Very interesting

01-04-2011 05:17:29 | More by Douglas88
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev +7.5%

22oz bottle direct from the brewery, can't remember the price but it was around $5? Maybe? Into a New Belgium globe.

A: Pours a light copper, excellent clarity and a white head about half an inch thick or so that recedes to a ring of bubbles around the glass and a thin white cap.

S: Um, this doesn't smell like much. Maybe a little bit of malt, and some cooked rice? No hops, and really nothing to speak of in terms of yeast. Really bland here.

T: Mild malt bill, and a bit of graininess, cooked brown rice and just a hint of bitterness at the very end. Very mild flavors, I wouldn't say sweet, but there is a bit of sweetness. Pretty blah, but not offensive.

M: Light, nicely carbonated, and very dry. This is probably the best part of the beer.

D: Easy to drink, but really doesn't have a lot going for it. I can't say that its bad, but it isn't very flavorful either. Not sure what they were really shooting for here.

09-22-2010 01:53:47 | More by pokesbeerdude
Wasatch

22oz. Bomber
Exponential Series
1800 Bottles Produced
Release #2
$4.29 ea.

Pours a clean/clear dark golden yellow color, some carbonation, small fizzy off-white head, with some minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with a slight hop note. The taste is sweet, malty, little hop note, and some spicyness. Medium body, the finish is slightly bitter and dry. Would not buy this beer again.

08-15-2010 20:34:46 | More by Wasatch