Brainless On Peaches Belgian-Style Ale - Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.70% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 10-23-2010

We took our double gold medal winning Brainless Belgian, added organic peach puree and aged it in French Chardonnay casks from Sawtooth Winery. Drink from a Pinot glass, serve on the warm side of cold, it develops nicely as it warms displaying more fruit and wine.
Reviews by Bmoyer0301:
3.69/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance:

Tonight, I am going with one of my favorites glasses which was a giveaway at our local pub, Shady McGradys. I believe the deal was if you ordered anything from Brooklyn Brewery you got to keep the glass; which is pretty darn cool since its a snifter rather than the traditional pint glass they hand out. I pulled the large bottle out of my beer fridge and headed for the bottle opener.Once I pried the cap off, I was not at all disappointed by the sound this baby made. A loud hiss and generous amount of carbonation gasses lingered around the opening. This beer is starting out spot on. On the pour I decided to go straight on to entice a nice crisp head. I waited until I the prickly looking head rose to the top before I tilted the bottle to ease off. When I was done, a beautiful bone white head about two fingers thick floated on top and didn’t fade away. When I hold my glass up to the light there I’m getting a hazy golden hue with some very faint orange and peach colors thrown in. There is a fair amount of yeast sitting on the bottom on my glass which depending on how you look at it could be a good or bad thing. I personally don’t mind a little bit but if there is a large amount of chunks that throws me off. There are loads of champagne like bubbles floating up from the bottom on the glass which keeps the beautiful crispy head alive. On the viscosity check I gave a slight swirl and only noticed a little amount of lacing and really nothing to get excited about so I would say that this is pretty typical for the style.

Smell:

The first thing that comes to mind when I take my initial whiff is a bright hefeweizen with some peaches thrown in. There is a fair amount of yeasty phenolic notes to mention of and a slight white grape smell which honestly could be coming from the chardonnay barrels this was aged in. In the finish a slight woody undertone but far from overbearing, it just compliments everything nicely.

Taste:

Wow, lots of sweetness up front! Tart acidic notes are right behind everything, with a sucker punch of over ripened peaches. White grapes and earthy wood are very prominent as well, there is no subtly to any of the described flavors on the label trust me! As my glass warms up a slight banana flavor is poking through which could be a counter part of the Belgian yeast. This is very acidic as I let the glass warm up and almost reminds me of a mild sour beer and the heat alcohol is shining through which warms your palate after every sip. A faint amount of hops can be picked out but they are very mild and subdued. On a final note, I will say that the carbonation is very high on this beer and almost prickles your nose if you get a large mouthful or if you decide to let out a burp.

Drinkability:

Overall I would say that this beer is pretty darn solid, is it a A+ beer? No, but it sure as heck is delicious and provides some slow sipping fruity funk which can be enjoyed by a wide range of beer drinkers. Again, beware of that high carbonation which will leave you a little gassy after the bottle. I would recommend this beer highly to a lot of drinkers and if you can come across it pick it up and sit on your porch and enjoy a summer evening with a great beer. (3,237 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I thought this was pretty good. (31 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a lemon-yellow, hybrid-gold color; hazy body, translucent with light beaming throughout the edges. Foamy, almost frothy white head gives a vibe like it'll stick around, but then bounces pretty quick without leaving much behind. Aside from peaches, which are abundant in the aroma as expected, a nice foundation is formed from the Belgian yeast - sweet bread with mild clove and kitchen spice. Sweetness in the form of other fruits is apparent as well; white grapes and pears being the easiest to pinpoint. Nose doesn't include much hop presence, mostly just a sweetened, candied aroma. Given the largely aromatic nose, the taste was actually a little bit of a let down. It wasn't bad, it just didn't live up to expectations, I guess. Sweet candied peaches, soggy bread, mild clove, herbal leafiness, and a sharp hint of alcohol, almost borderline rubbing. Yeast is heavy on the tail end, fading out with the last gasping breath of peaches and bread. Medium bodied with a slightly slick mouth feel and a very generous amount of carbonation.

I love peaches - this beer had a pretty great aroma but the flavor lacked the punch I was looking for. Next time I want a "peach" beer, I'll be reaching for a Short's Peaches n' Creme. This one's far from bad, but it doesn't do enough to justify the relatively high cost (13$/bomber). (1,331 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

One of the best Belgium's I've had, so smooth and a great taste! (64 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -3.9%

22oz bottle, release #2 - 10.8%. Pours a clear straw gold with a medium creamy white head that retains fairly well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet acidic peaches with some musty funk in the background.

The flavor is sweet, tart and acidic peaches with some musty earthiness from the Belgian yeast that makes for a dry champagne like finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with bubbly carbonation.

Overall, a decent fruit beer. The peaches are well balanced with the Belgian aspects. It's very champagney - which isn't a plus in my opinion. I much prefer New Belgium's Eric's Ale. (598 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is caramel malt, oranges, alcohol and some peaches. The flavor is peaches, bready malt, low bitterness and some lightly tart notes from the fruit. Fairly dry and you can definitely tell the base beer is Belgian in origin. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (368 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a New Belgium Globe glass. Release #21.

Appearance: Pours a bright and fairly clear golden orange with a moderate amount of rising bubbles. About one finger of white head that recedes into a thin patchy layer. Leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: A very yeasty and sweet aroma with a big peach presence along with other fruit esters. Yeast and funk upfront with some pepper and clove spicing. Big scent of peach fruit throughout. Also fruit hints of apple, pear, pineapple, apricot, banana, and white wine like hints of white grapes. Candied sugar scent and some oak. Subtle malt presence with hints of grain and biscuit. Light hints of grassy hops. Big scent of the booze. A pretty interesting and decent smell.

Taste: Like it smells, an odd mix of yeast, fruits, and spices with a Belgian style. Belgian like yeast upfront with notes of funk and clove and pepper spicing. Big taste of the peach fruit. Also fruit notes of apple, pear, apricot, orange, banana, pineapple, and white grapes. Fairly wine like taste with a touch of oak and wood. Sweet and somewhat sour. Candied sugar notes. Bready malt background with notes of grain, cracker, and biscuit. Subtle grassy hops in the background. Odd taste but it works fairly well for me. Not cloying or overly syrupy.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a medium to high level of carbonation. Very juicy and somewhat chewy. Booze is felt quite a bit.

Overall: An interesting and decent Belgian style ale. Fruit and yeast mix is good. Could of hid the booze heat better. (1,571 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +13.8%