Brainless On Peaches Belgian-Style Ale - Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.70% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 10-23-2010

We took our double gold medal winning Brainless Belgian, added organic peach puree and aged it in French Chardonnay casks from Sawtooth Winery. Drink from a Pinot glass, serve on the warm side of cold, it develops nicely as it warms displaying more fruit and wine.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brainless On Peaches Belgian-Style Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 535 | Reviews: 142
1.3/5  rDev -63.8%

On tap at the new brewery in Denver. This was just as awful if not worse than the brainless on cherries. Yellow color, no head. Terrible aroma of chemicals, alcohol, nasty fruit, yuck. Flavor was more chemicals, alcohol, and just gross. I could not even taste a discernible peach flavor. I can;t believe they are able to actually sell this at all let alone for $12 a bottle. Truly a horrible beer.

1.79/5  rDev -50.1%

Pours a hazy gold color with a large soapy white head which leaves a nice bit of lacing behind. Smells like peaches, alcohol, yeast, spices, and biscuit malt.

The taste is sweet, and has peaches, spices, biscuit malt, and noticeable booze. I wish the alcohol was better hidden, because the strong booze flavor is unwelcome.

Medium bodied, high carbonation, and there is a lot of alcohol burn. I don't think aging this in the cellar would help. While I do like the peach flavor somewhat, the strong booze flavor ruins this beer for me.

2.05/5  rDev -42.9%

This beer was chilled and served in a goblet. This is much like the cherry brainless.

A- The body of the beer is a lightly bubbling clear golden coloration. The head is a thin white color. The head quickly falls to a ring of foam.

S- The aroma of canned peaches mix with a nearly medicinal clove aroma.

T- The light flavor of sweetend peaches, cloves and something nearing solvent tones smacks me in the mouth. Not terrible but not really good.

M- The body seems to be heavy. This needs a bit more carbonation. The alcohol is hot and really just hinders this beer.

O- This beer really isnt doing it for me between very strong cloves, astringency and hot alcohol.

2.2/5  rDev -38.7%

Pours a clear golden yellow, tons of thin white head with small bubbles. Lots of grain in the nose, sugary and sweet, some golden fruits randomly come about. The taste has the sweet golden fruit up front, tons of sugar, lager type yeast flavors, hints of spice. There is a strong metallic note in the back and a peppery spice lingering in contrast with the huge sugary sweetness. Full bodied and syrupy feel also detract from this beer, high carbonation and rough to swallow. Flabby, metallic, sugary mess.

2.22/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- One finger width white head, frothy and fizzy with fairly low retention. Some lacy rings. Orange-gold color with low clarity, probably due to the yeast.

S- Light malts, yeast and bacteria development, peaches, banana, cloves, some booziness but not too much. It hides the ABV quite well in the smell.

T- Over cooked malts, peach schnapps, cloyingly sweet and very astringent and sour. Acidity is high and it makes for a tough drink. Flavor is more on the liquor side. Not a forgiving beer.

M- Lighter bodied and filmy linger.

O- Lost me on the taste. Yeesh.

2.36/5  rDev -34.3%

Brainless on peaches is a complete miss for me. It is too sweet, too yeasty, too hot, the peaches didn't work with the base beer, overall a complete disaster.

Beer is yellow and hazy with a soft white head of small bubbles, some lacing moderate carbonation, so far so good.

Aroma is bready, yeasty, almost like a hefeweizen but all fruit all the way, fusel, hot, offputting but not a disaster.

Beer is medium to light in body, some peach flavor on the back half but the front is dominated by a strong bright harsh alcohol and sweetness that makes me want to stop drinking it immediately. It tastes like poison and that's about as nice as I can get.

2.4/5  rDev -33.1%

Pours a flat honey golden. Slight white head at most. An aroma of alcoholic peach preserves. Flavor offers a lot of alcohol, some peach, and some malt. A kinda flat, medium bodied. Overall, I was quite excited to try this but was rather disappointed in it.

2.44/5  rDev -32%

A: Pours out of the bottle a sort of disturbing yellow color. I have to remind myself: peaches, because my first instinctive thought is something much less appealing. 1 inch head with a slight yellow tinge, fairly large, loose bubbles, recedes in a couple minutes to a light dusting of foam.

S: On the initial pour, the peach aromas are quite up front. Underlying that is a nice, classic tripel aroma of fruity yeasty esters.

T: Weird, sort of a mess. Tripel base is there, but it's dryer and thinner than typical for the style. It's a little sour and funky. Description on the bottle doesn't mention brett, but I'm having a hard time believing there isn't some there, whether intentional or not. Then there's some vegetable and overripe fruit. Mild bitterness in the finish

M: Dryer than I think this should be. Medium carbonation.

O: I'd heard a lot of enthusiasm about this brewery and this beer, but it's not really doing it for me. Smells nice, but I can't figure out what they wanted it to taste like and there's too much of what seems like off-tastes in my opinion.

Addendum: This beer hits an ideal temperature eventually where the peaches come out enough to cover up the other shortcomings. If you're going to drink it, let it warm up a fair bit. That said, I'd still say skip it.

2.48/5  rDev -30.9%

From a bottle, pours a clear yellow. Nose is very sweaty, notes say "imperial pilsner with a mish-mash of stone fruit." Pretty aptly sums it up. Mouth is fairly salty and sweaty, artificial peach syrup. Peach expression is simply not good here, and the base beer is equally bad. I'm not sure how this has decent ratings, and I have nothing against this brewery, but to each his own.

"Brainless Wants Peach Dick"
"Brainless and Shuggy Want Peach Dick: Shuggy's Revenge"

2.51/5  rDev -30.1%

Let me preface, I bought this beer while I was on a Festina Pecehe Kick. This beer however is nothing like that nor is it really worth the cost. I give this my worst by of 2011 actually. 12.99 for a bomber of a sub par beer. This thing tastes like Genesse Dog Bite after someone dropped a peach into it without peeling it. It smells like canned peaches and bud light and has a very average mouthfeel with medium carbonation. The only reason it really gets any points is that it is so boozey. You can taste and smell the alcohol which I would not expect from a beer of this price. Seriously not worth the money. I am willing to try their other products but I must have been brainless to try this one.

2.57/5  rDev -28.4%

Aroma: Weird fruit, obvious guess would be peach, but alas it is not obvious.

Appearance: Clear golden body with a thin white head that fell fast. Super low carbonation.

Flavor: Citrusy, a hint of peach. Subtle spice presence that is probably from the yeast.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with a short unassuming finish.

Overall: Peach and yeast esters compete rather than complement each other. Drinks relatively easy, but also has a lot of bizarre and hard to quantify flavor notes. The concept was more appealing than the actual brew.

2.59/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I'm a fiend for anything with peaches, so I had to give this one a try. Poured vigorously into a Bell's tulip.

A - Good amount of carbonation, minimal head. Golden yellow.

S - Bread, the 10% alcohol, and a bit of peaches. Actually, I get more dried apricots than peaches, maybe both. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but not terrible.

T - The chardonnay really comes through strong here. So does the booze. Grass, chardonnay, bread, and maybe passionfruit? Peaches are notably absent, even when I'm looking for them. It's all about the wine here.

M - Hot, medium bodied, and plenty of carb.

Like I said, I love me some peaches, but apart from the nose they're hardly there at all. Peach beer seems to be a tricky thing to pull off well, so I can't go too hard on Epic for giving it a good shot. Still, definitely not worth the $12 for the 22.

2.71/5  rDev -24.5%

22oz bottle (Release #21 - 10.2% alcohol). Purchased at State Liquor in Park City, Utah.

A: Pours a beautiful golden yellow color. Completely translucent. 1-2 finger, fizzy head that dissipates quickly into a thin ring of bubbles. Leaves a good lacing.

S: Initial smell is white wine-ish. A little bit of funky Brett smells. A tiny hint of oak and some peach. Finishing the nose is dominating yeast. Something doesn't jive with all of the nose coming together. It seems to be a bit all over the place.

T: The best way I can describe this is bready, tart, sour, spoiled peaches soaked in yeasty booze. I don't get much oak at all, and the yeast is too strong against the peaches that actually come through tart - which I actually like. Again, as I feared from the nose, this just doesn't really come together at all.

M: medium-full body. High carbonation. Tart and dry. Much more boozy than I was expecting.

O: From the initial pour I was excited. The appearance was awesome. Then it went downhill quickly. I can appreciate the idea and creativity of this, but it just didn't jive for me. It was too dominated by the yeast. I think the core issue here was that it was too in between a tart/sour beer and a Belgian tripel/golden. If it was closer to either one it would've been better.

2.72/5  rDev -24.2%

6 oz pour in a wine glass.

Golden yellow w/ little head.

Perfumey smell. A little bubblegum, a little peach. For a Belgian Fruit beer, I would expect it to be bigger in the Belgian and/or fruit aroma.

Taste is too boozey, too much alcoholic bitterness. Goes right to my head. There is a nice peachy flavor but it is poorly paired with this alcohol and bitterness.

Mouthfeel is appropriately thin for style.

Share this beer with a friend. Or maybe someone you don't like very much. It left me disappointed. Maybe that's a little harsh, but this gave me a headache and left me disappointed. The beer would do better as a lower gravity beer. It's difficult for me to understand how it won a medal

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

Not much to look at... burnt straw gold body with a thin half finger of white fizz that dissipates within seconds. Still a good bit of legs though.

Sweet, syrupy, boozy peach flesh... some ester or clove notes, rather pungent stuff, the booze character isn't exactly "hot" but it's certainly noticeable... or maybe I'm just noticing the massive sweet bread disguising it? Confusing.

Same story here. Massive fruit character that is supported only by a plethora of less-than-hot booze characteristics. Some bugglegum shows itself after a while.

Meh.

2.81/5  rDev -21.7%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Golden hue with moderate clarity. Decent sized head has fair retention.

Aroma-Dry peaches with a slightly anise-like, medicinal phenolic aroma. Slight perfumy alcohols and peach candies, but the overall peach cough syrup impression is the most prevalent.

Flavor-I'm not a huge fan of the flavor here. Reminds me of a blend of peach schnapps and peach cough syrup. Sweet up front and quite dry in the finish. Some peppery alcohols at the close, but that same anise/medicinal phenol character dominates. Not my favorite.

Mouthfeel-Medium full body with moderate carbonation. Carbonation could be a bit higher.

I couldn't really get over the peach schnapps/peach cough syrup aroma/flavor-not my thing.

2.85/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours a orange color, some carbonation, little white foamy head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, yeasty, with some citrus notes. The taste is sweet, malty, with some yeast notes. Medium body. Drinkable, not that good of a brew taste wise, but another Epic brew.

2.85/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bomber bottle. Decanted into a 0.47l oversized snifter.
Appearance: Murky gold. No lasting head.
Smell: Over-ripe bananas and peaches. Think of a day old fruit salad. But in an ok way.
Taste: Very peachy. That’s pretty much it… peaches. Lightly carbonated, liquefied, peaches. Peach.
Mouthfeel: Pretty good. Correct for the style.
Overall: When a beer touts a fruit, it should predominately feature that fruit without being overwhelmed by it. This beer is right on the border of too much. There’s a ton of peach flavor, and the Belgian spiciness is washed out to some degree, but all-in-all it seems to work pretty well. Good for a hot, summer day. I couldn’t drink more than one, but I’m not sure the brewers intended it to be a session beer.

2.86/5  rDev -20.3%

A: pale golden straw colored with off-white head. Retention is ok.

S: Peach concentrate and earthy funk.

T: This is very medicinal if there was a peach flavored dimetapp It would taste better than this. Hops provide some bitterness and the pure peach syrup flavor is just a weird addition to the mix.

M: Sticky

O: Flawed beer, this is far too medicinal... maybe oxidized

2.88/5  rDev -19.8%

This review is from having it on tap at Bodega. I also tried a little bit of this from the bottle at a recent tasting.

Appearance
This looked pretty typical. Its a really pale golden yellow. The peaches don't seem to have effected the color much, but I didn't get a full pour of the base beer so I can't be certain.

Aroma
The acetone I found in the Brainless on Cherries is really big and pervasive here. It smells pretty much like my girl friend is painting her nails while I sit next to her, drinking some peach iced tea. The peach is very light on the aroma, but it is noticeable.

Taste
I think the peach is even lighter on the taste. Alcohol and a sloppy use of Belgian yeast are much bigger. Alcohol kicks too hard at the end.

Mouthfeel
Dry with an earthy, chalky grittiness.

Overall
I was still able to enjoy this beer, and I easily finished the glass. It is just a bit rough around the edges. This is the one by Epic that I was most excited for. I'm glad to hear that they still fiddle with the recipes in this series. This one could easily improve.

2.94/5  rDev -18.1%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 9/28/11
*From notes

A: Peachy keen on the eye. Lovely peachy pink with a quickly receding three finger head and no lacing.

S: Rubbing alcohol up front, which instantly puts me off and burns my nostrils. As the vapors pass, canned peaches in syrup hit the nose.

T: Slightly tart, with a syrupy, fake peach flavor on the finish. Why not use real peaches here and make this more refreshing and approachable?

M: Not half bad. It's got a decent amount of carbonation, and the texture benefits the brew.

O: Brainless on Peaches is yet another middle of the road, fruit inspired brew from the folks at Epic. It's not terrible, rather it's something I'll quickly forget - good thing I'm writing this review, then.

2.98/5  rDev -17%

Release #2

Pours a hazy dark gold color with a two finger white foam head that slowly settles into a thin ring. Minimal spots of lacing left behind.

Slightly funky aroma with a prominent earthy oak character along with some sweet alcohol, spice, peaches and other light fruit. As it warms the peaches stand out a bit more in the nose but the oak barrel dominates.

Medium bodied with lots of tight carbonation up front followed by some sweet fruit and hot booze that lingers into a dry finish. Dry and funky with a very strong barrel presence that overpowers the peach flavor. Lots of dry, toasted/charred oak along with some funky, dry yeast. Similarly to the aroma, the peach flavor becomes a bit stronger as the beer warms but it's still buried under the other flavors. A bit of sweetness in the finish with a lot of boozy heat.

I've liked most of what I've had from Epic so far but this was a disappointment. Just too one dimensional for my taste with hardly any peach flavor.

Crystal clear light golden pour with a minimal head. Aroma is light peaches and yeast. Flavor is alcohol forward with a light touch of peach flavor and a bit of oak. Not as sour as expected and has a light spice presence. Can also taste some white grape flavors. Fairly light bodied. Feels more like a Chardonnay than a beer.

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

Release #8 - 10.5% ABV. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a 2011 Antwerp Beer Passion Weekend Beer Sommelier stemglass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Acquired at a Whole Foods in Glendale. Reviewed live. Expectations are high as I've heard great things about Epic Brewing; this is my first beer from Epic.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger head - quite thin, without any real cream, and of great retention for the high ABV. Colour is a hazy nontransparent dirty orange.

Sm: Orange citrus notes, lactic milk notes, wood barrel notes, and white wine. A pretty strong aroma. I don't care for this aroma; it kind of turns me off.

T: White wine alongside orange fruit esters. I get hardly any peaches at all. Hints of wood are largely buried. Lactic notes are present yet restrained. Clean malts form the foundation. Decently balanced but largely empty in terms of flavour. Built in a simple boring fashion. No alcohol or yeast comes through. I don't know how they hid the ABV - it certainly wasn't with flavour. Bland compared to my expectations. The orange fruit is overwhelming and nowhere near fresh.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nicely light on the palate for the high ABV. Adequately carbonated. It's tingly. Probably the best component of this beer. Better than the flavours.

Dr: Unrefreshing. Drinkable but bland compared to what it could be. I expected so much more based on what I heard about Epic. I wouldn't get this again, but I'm willing to give Epic more chances. Maybe this just wasn't my glass of beer. I should say I'm very impressed by how well it hides its ABV - I've given this category a 4 because it does hide the ABV incredibly well, and my method of reviewing still counts this category as drinkability.

C+

3.1/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Epic Brainless on Peaches has a hazy, orange colored body that has a slightly rosy or pink tint to it. The head is a light, off-white color and about three fingers tall. The head doesn't last too long, but there is lacing left behind from the thin collar that sticks around on top of the body.

Lots of sweet malt and some candied sugar in the nose with just a hint of pepper. The peach really lingers in the background.

This one is pretty damn sweet. Lots of sweet malt with light bread flavors come with a huge punch of what tastes like candied sugar. Generic fruit and a few bits of pehnol comes through next. The peach first tastes like a sweet syrup without much flavor. I don't taste any peach until the finish and the aftertaste. There is a touch of alcohol flavor in the finish also.

Fairly high carbonation, adequate body.

Brainless on Peach is a little too cloying. Although the peach flavor in the finish is nice, the rest of the beer is hard to take. A little bit of alcohol comes through also, but it isn't too unpleasant.

Brainless On Peaches Belgian-Style Ale from Epic Brewing Company