Brainless On Peaches Belgian-Style Ale - Epic Brewing Company

good

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.70% ABV

We took our double gold medal winning Brainless Belgian, added organic peach puree and aged it in French Chardonnay casks from Sawtooth Winery. Drink from a Pinot glass, serve on the warm side of cold, it develops nicely as it warms displaying more fruit and wine.

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 10-23-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brainless On Peaches Belgian-Style Ale Alström Bros

ajzy, Dec 24, 2013

Bjeerfalls, Feb 01, 2012

wiscotim, Jun 17, 2014

bmjivi221, Jul 21, 2013

GTB, Mar 04, 2012
1.28/5  rDev -64.1%

On tap at the new brewery in Denver. This was just as awful if not worse than the brainless on cherries. Yellow color, no head. Terrible aroma of chemicals, alcohol, nasty fruit, yuck. Flavor was more chemicals, alcohol, and just gross. I could not even taste a discernible peach flavor. I can;t believe they are able to actually sell this at all let alone for $12 a bottle. Truly a horrible beer.

ArrogantB, Oct 20, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -58%

beergorrilla, Aug 27, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -51%

Pours a hazy gold color with a large soapy white head which leaves a nice bit of lacing behind. Smells like peaches, alcohol, yeast, spices, and biscuit malt.

The taste is sweet, and has peaches, spices, biscuit malt, and noticeable booze. I wish the alcohol was better hidden, because the strong booze flavor is unwelcome.

Medium bodied, high carbonation, and there is a lot of alcohol burn. I don't think aging this in the cellar would help. While I do like the peach flavor somewhat, the strong booze flavor ruins this beer for me.

hardy008, Aug 14, 2011
1.84/5  rDev -48.5%

jason_nwx, Oct 12, 2014

AleWatcher, Nov 20, 2011

amalburg, Apr 30, 2014
2.03/5  rDev -43.1%

This beer was chilled and served in a goblet. This is much like the cherry brainless.

A- The body of the beer is a lightly bubbling clear golden coloration. The head is a thin white color. The head quickly falls to a ring of foam.

S- The aroma of canned peaches mix with a nearly medicinal clove aroma.

T- The light flavor of sweetend peaches, cloves and something nearing solvent tones smacks me in the mouth. Not terrible but not really good.

M- The body seems to be heavy. This needs a bit more carbonation. The alcohol is hot and really just hinders this beer.

O- This beer really isnt doing it for me between very strong cloves, astringency and hot alcohol.

nlmartin, Aug 12, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -40.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- One finger width white head, frothy and fizzy with fairly low retention. Some lacy rings. Orange-gold color with low clarity, probably due to the yeast.

S- Light malts, yeast and bacteria development, peaches, banana, cloves, some booziness but not too much. It hides the ABV quite well in the smell.

T- Over cooked malts, peach schnapps, cloyingly sweet and very astringent and sour. Acidity is high and it makes for a tough drink. Flavor is more on the liquor side. Not a forgiving beer.

M- Lighter bodied and filmy linger.

O- Lost me on the taste. Yeesh.

Murrhey, Apr 25, 2012
2.17/5  rDev -39.2%

Pours a clear golden yellow, tons of thin white head with small bubbles. Lots of grain in the nose, sugary and sweet, some golden fruits randomly come about. The taste has the sweet golden fruit up front, tons of sugar, lager type yeast flavors, hints of spice. There is a strong metallic note in the back and a peppery spice lingering in contrast with the huge sugary sweetness. Full bodied and syrupy feel also detract from this beer, high carbonation and rough to swallow. Flabby, metallic, sugary mess.

cpetrone84, Nov 22, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -37%

xk6m6m5x, Feb 05, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -35.6%

Brainless on peaches is a complete miss for me. It is too sweet, too yeasty, too hot, the peaches didn't work with the base beer, overall a complete disaster.

Beer is yellow and hazy with a soft white head of small bubbles, some lacing moderate carbonation, so far so good.

Aroma is bready, yeasty, almost like a hefeweizen but all fruit all the way, fusel, hot, offputting but not a disaster.

Beer is medium to light in body, some peach flavor on the back half but the front is dominated by a strong bright harsh alcohol and sweetness that makes me want to stop drinking it immediately. It tastes like poison and that's about as nice as I can get.

drabmuh, Aug 15, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours a flat honey golden. Slight white head at most. An aroma of alcoholic peach preserves. Flavor offers a lot of alcohol, some peach, and some malt. A kinda flat, medium bodied. Overall, I was quite excited to try this but was rather disappointed in it.

denver10, Jul 28, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -33.3%

A: Pours out of the bottle a sort of disturbing yellow color. I have to remind myself: peaches, because my first instinctive thought is something much less appealing. 1 inch head with a slight yellow tinge, fairly large, loose bubbles, recedes in a couple minutes to a light dusting of foam.

S: On the initial pour, the peach aromas are quite up front. Underlying that is a nice, classic tripel aroma of fruity yeasty esters.

T: Weird, sort of a mess. Tripel base is there, but it's dryer and thinner than typical for the style. It's a little sour and funky. Description on the bottle doesn't mention brett, but I'm having a hard time believing there isn't some there, whether intentional or not. Then there's some vegetable and overripe fruit. Mild bitterness in the finish

M: Dryer than I think this should be. Medium carbonation.

O: I'd heard a lot of enthusiasm about this brewery and this beer, but it's not really doing it for me. Smells nice, but I can't figure out what they wanted it to taste like and there's too much of what seems like off-tastes in my opinion.

Addendum: This beer hits an ideal temperature eventually where the peaches come out enough to cover up the other shortcomings. If you're going to drink it, let it warm up a fair bit. That said, I'd still say skip it.

kscaldef, Oct 24, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -30.5%

From a bottle, pours a clear yellow. Nose is very sweaty, notes say "imperial pilsner with a mish-mash of stone fruit." Pretty aptly sums it up. Mouth is fairly salty and sweaty, artificial peach syrup. Peach expression is simply not good here, and the base beer is equally bad. I'm not sure how this has decent ratings, and I have nothing against this brewery, but to each his own.

"Brainless Wants Peach Dick"
"Brainless and Shuggy Want Peach Dick: Shuggy's Revenge"

JAXSON, Apr 17, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -30.5%

diamond_mind, Sep 01, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -30%

Let me preface, I bought this beer while I was on a Festina Pecehe Kick. This beer however is nothing like that nor is it really worth the cost. I give this my worst by of 2011 actually. 12.99 for a bomber of a sub par beer. This thing tastes like Genesse Dog Bite after someone dropped a peach into it without peeling it. It smells like canned peaches and bud light and has a very average mouthfeel with medium carbonation. The only reason it really gets any points is that it is so boozey. You can taste and smell the alcohol which I would not expect from a beer of this price. Seriously not worth the money. I am willing to try their other products but I must have been brainless to try this one.

beerhan, Sep 18, 2011

vissai, Jan 16, 2012

98green, Sep 05, 2014
2.55/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I'm a fiend for anything with peaches, so I had to give this one a try. Poured vigorously into a Bell's tulip.

A - Good amount of carbonation, minimal head. Golden yellow.

S - Bread, the 10% alcohol, and a bit of peaches. Actually, I get more dried apricots than peaches, maybe both. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but not terrible.

T - The chardonnay really comes through strong here. So does the booze. Grass, chardonnay, bread, and maybe passionfruit? Peaches are notably absent, even when I'm looking for them. It's all about the wine here.

M - Hot, medium bodied, and plenty of carb.

Like I said, I love me some peaches, but apart from the nose they're hardly there at all. Peach beer seems to be a tricky thing to pull off well, so I can't go too hard on Epic for giving it a good shot. Still, definitely not worth the $12 for the 22.

ZRBE, May 05, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -27.7%

Aroma: Weird fruit, obvious guess would be peach, but alas it is not obvious.

Appearance: Clear golden body with a thin white head that fell fast. Super low carbonation.

Flavor: Citrusy, a hint of peach. Subtle spice presence that is probably from the yeast.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with a short unassuming finish.

Overall: Peach and yeast esters compete rather than complement each other. Drinks relatively easy, but also has a lot of bizarre and hard to quantify flavor notes. The concept was more appealing than the actual brew.

plehnus, Dec 09, 2011