Microbrew Invitational

Brainless On Peaches Belgian-Style AleBrainless On Peaches Belgian-Style Ale

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

We took our double gold medal winning Brainless Belgian, added organic peach puree and aged it in French Chardonnay casks from Sawtooth Winery. Drink from a Pinot glass, serve on the warm side of cold, it develops nicely as it warms displaying more fruit and wine.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 10-23-2010

Reviews: 154 | Ratings: 611
2.44/5  rDev -31.5%

A: Pours out of the bottle a sort of disturbing yellow color. I have to remind myself: peaches, because my first instinctive thought is something much less appealing. 1 inch head with a slight yellow tinge, fairly large, loose bubbles, recedes in a couple minutes to a light dusting of foam.

S: On the initial pour, the peach aromas are quite up front. Underlying that is a nice, classic tripel aroma of fruity yeasty esters.

T: Weird, sort of a mess. Tripel base is there, but it's dryer and thinner than typical for the style. It's a little sour and funky. Description on the bottle doesn't mention brett, but I'm having a hard time believing there isn't some there, whether intentional or not. Then there's some vegetable and overripe fruit. Mild bitterness in the finish

M: Dryer than I think this should be. Medium carbonation.

O: I'd heard a lot of enthusiasm about this brewery and this beer, but it's not really doing it for me. Smells nice, but I can't figure out what they wanted it to taste like and there's too much of what seems like off-tastes in my opinion.

Addendum: This beer hits an ideal temperature eventually where the peaches come out enough to cover up the other shortcomings. If you're going to drink it, let it warm up a fair bit. That said, I'd still say skip it.

3.32/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a cloudy orange, a little darker than a Hefe.

Smells like peach wine. Light and sweet with peach notes. Slight Belgian yeast.

Very yeasty, chewy yeast. Peaches just accent the yeast. Feels like peach wine in many ways. The peach wine flavor accents what woud be a yeast dominated beer. Better than the average belgian pale ale.

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a belgian-style glass. The bottle bears a stamp, "Release #3". Pours a hazy apricot-yellow color, with a fizzy white head that reduces leaving an island of tiny bubbles.

Fruity and funky, with sweet bananas, mangos, honey, and bubblegum. Very fresh and crisp smelling, it's like a fruit tart in aroma.

This is a sweet, sweet ale, with plenty of peach, mango, banana and honey flavors. There's a slight tartness that hits mid-sip, but it is a fruity tartness, like the skin of a nectarine. Plenty of carbonation gives this a bit of a bite to finish.

Medium to light bodied, with a fairly carbonated feel, this has a nice tart that keeps it honest.

I came to this one skeptical of the peach (one of my least-favorite fruits), but I was pleasantly surprised. The peach is not overwhelming, and there is plenty of tart to balance out what could otherwise be a cloyingly sweet ale. The best of the three Epic fruit beers I've had (Saison Apple, Brainless on Cherries and this), this is a decent take on the Belgian fruit beer. Make sure you let it warm sufficiently before drinking it though; this was a sharper, less pleasant beer even 30 minutes out of the fridge.

2.94/5  rDev -17.4%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 9/28/11
*From notes

A: Peachy keen on the eye. Lovely peachy pink with a quickly receding three finger head and no lacing.

S: Rubbing alcohol up front, which instantly puts me off and burns my nostrils. As the vapors pass, canned peaches in syrup hit the nose.

T: Slightly tart, with a syrupy, fake peach flavor on the finish. Why not use real peaches here and make this more refreshing and approachable?

M: Not half bad. It's got a decent amount of carbonation, and the texture benefits the brew.

O: Brainless on Peaches is yet another middle of the road, fruit inspired brew from the folks at Epic. It's not terrible, rather it's something I'll quickly forget - good thing I'm writing this review, then.

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Sometimes there is a lot of retention off the pour, other times not. Regardless, Brainless on Peaches pulls a white good sized head that even clumps with some good retention, other times not so much and disappears fast. It sits on a slightly orange/yellow body with some cloudiness.

Nose is primarily sweet Belgian like sugars and malt backbone. However, peach fruit does follow later in a mild way.

Taste is sweet then sharp, but then subdues after much drinking. Pureed peaches and fruit juicy texture abound settling in on a powdered sugar background. Minimal alcohol presence for a high abv which is a nice touch as well. Some slight bitter lingering lime in the afterfinish also. Some sort of Belgian like malts and sugars seem to come out.

Overall, pretty brainless, and an apt description. Works for me! Very masked abv for what it is, not a booze bomb, rather enjoyable, they done well.

22 oz bottle, 10.5% abv. Release #3. Hazy golden color, with a peach tint (what else?). Fizzy white head falls to a thin layer quickly. A few spots of lace.

Pale, cracker malt. Earthy hops. Yeasty notes. Faint peach and stone fruit aroma. Ripe fruit as well. Very faint woodsy, oaky note.

Ripe fruit comes up front, with some nice, juicy peach flavor. Yeasty notes combine with some earthy notes. Sweetness is well balanced here with the earthy, oaky flavors. Finishes dry.

Lighter body, with a good amount of lively carbonation. Some alcohol felt, but not overwhelming. Good balance of juicy fruits, yeast and oaky notes. Well made.

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured into taster (4 oz) at Belmont Station:

Pours hazy Belgian hue with decent lace.

Really smells of peaches with some yeast and spice notes. Pretty simple and to the point. Palate confirms but is lightly flavored by the peach. Almost disappointing.

Average texture and good grip, short finish.

Overall a nice idea, but falls short on several fronts.

2.51/5  rDev -29.5%

Let me preface, I bought this beer while I was on a Festina Pecehe Kick. This beer however is nothing like that nor is it really worth the cost. I give this my worst by of 2011 actually. 12.99 for a bomber of a sub par beer. This thing tastes like Genesse Dog Bite after someone dropped a peach into it without peeling it. It smells like canned peaches and bud light and has a very average mouthfeel with medium carbonation. The only reason it really gets any points is that it is so boozey. You can taste and smell the alcohol which I would not expect from a beer of this price. Seriously not worth the money. I am willing to try their other products but I must have been brainless to try this one.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottle: Poured a hazy orangey color ale with a nice thick foam head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of peach puree is quite intense and quiet sweet as well. Taste is bizarrely not as intense on peach with a nice mix between some funky notes with a slightly oversweet malt base with subtle peach in the background. Body is quite full with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol notes. Chardonnay and champagne yeast notes are very hard to distinguish and the beer maybe a tad too sweet but this is an interesting experience after all.

4.39/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

First had: on tap at Oskar Blues Homemade Liquids & Solids, Longmont, CO

Wow...so good. I totally fell in love with this one on the first sip, and it's a shame I'll probably never have it again. Poured a clear, thin, peach-orange color with just a tiny layer of delicate bubbles for a head. Didn't look like much from the get go, but I gave it a chance. Aroma of pale malts, reminiscent of a golden or blonde ale, light with peaches and apricots, with some herbal notes and a touch of funk. Taste: a pale malt base overlaid with peach, apricot, oaked white wine. Sweet, but done just right. Not at all syrupy...just right. Light herbal and floral hops for a great balance of flavors. Light-medium body, slight alcohol burn that doesn't affect the taste, and very drinkable all over.

3.69/5  rDev +3.7%

Enjoyed in a shaker pint at Boulders on Broadway.

Saffron, moderately hazy. A pillowy head of watery bubbles writhes above the rim of the glass but pops away within seconds.

In the nose: peaches, pear syrup, honey, a hint of ethanol and new oak. Fruity, sweet, good.

Smooth, sugary pears. Vinous oak and a bit of vanilla smooths things out. Green apple. The peach is probably the lightest of the fruity flavors I pick up, but the blend is nice. Light bit of ethanol, honey.

Light in body and very effervescent. Explodes in soft bubbles, the mouth fills with air. Lots and lots of booze in the nose and mouth, filled with fumes.

Good flavor, but the booze could be better hidden. Sweet, fruity and definitely worth a visit.

3.69/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance:

Tonight, I am going with one of my favorites glasses which was a giveaway at our local pub, Shady McGradys. I believe the deal was if you ordered anything from Brooklyn Brewery you got to keep the glass; which is pretty darn cool since its a snifter rather than the traditional pint glass they hand out. I pulled the large bottle out of my beer fridge and headed for the bottle opener.Once I pried the cap off, I was not at all disappointed by the sound this baby made. A loud hiss and generous amount of carbonation gasses lingered around the opening. This beer is starting out spot on. On the pour I decided to go straight on to entice a nice crisp head. I waited until I the prickly looking head rose to the top before I tilted the bottle to ease off. When I was done, a beautiful bone white head about two fingers thick floated on top and didn’t fade away. When I hold my glass up to the light there I’m getting a hazy golden hue with some very faint orange and peach colors thrown in. There is a fair amount of yeast sitting on the bottom on my glass which depending on how you look at it could be a good or bad thing. I personally don’t mind a little bit but if there is a large amount of chunks that throws me off. There are loads of champagne like bubbles floating up from the bottom on the glass which keeps the beautiful crispy head alive. On the viscosity check I gave a slight swirl and only noticed a little amount of lacing and really nothing to get excited about so I would say that this is pretty typical for the style.

Smell:

The first thing that comes to mind when I take my initial whiff is a bright hefeweizen with some peaches thrown in. There is a fair amount of yeasty phenolic notes to mention of and a slight white grape smell which honestly could be coming from the chardonnay barrels this was aged in. In the finish a slight woody undertone but far from overbearing, it just compliments everything nicely.

Taste:

Wow, lots of sweetness up front! Tart acidic notes are right behind everything, with a sucker punch of over ripened peaches. White grapes and earthy wood are very prominent as well, there is no subtly to any of the described flavors on the label trust me! As my glass warms up a slight banana flavor is poking through which could be a counter part of the Belgian yeast. This is very acidic as I let the glass warm up and almost reminds me of a mild sour beer and the heat alcohol is shining through which warms your palate after every sip. A faint amount of hops can be picked out but they are very mild and subdued. On a final note, I will say that the carbonation is very high on this beer and almost prickles your nose if you get a large mouthful or if you decide to let out a burp.

Drinkability:

Overall I would say that this beer is pretty darn solid, is it a A+ beer? No, but it sure as heck is delicious and provides some slow sipping fruity funk which can be enjoyed by a wide range of beer drinkers. Again, beware of that high carbonation which will leave you a little gassy after the bottle. I would recommend this beer highly to a lot of drinkers and if you can come across it pick it up and sit on your porch and enjoy a summer evening with a great beer.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

22oz bottle thanks to finewinemike!

Release #2

%10.8 Abv

A- Pours a bright cloudy yellow with a thin 1 finger bright white head the slowly dissipates leaves little lacing and some decent legs on the side of the glass.

S- Up front the Belgian yeast comes through with notes of banana, clove, spice, and doughy bread. On the back end fruit qualities of the fresh picked peaches shine through with some slight funk. Has a alcohol note that slightly stings the nose but nothing to crazy for %10, blends nicely with the overall aroma.

T- First sip the flavors seem to hit you all at once and jump all over the place. Just like the aroma the doughy bread comes out along with standard belgian yeast flavors. A good amount of peaches are present but don't over power the flavor which I would consider a good thing, the qualities of the base beer are still there and combine well. It's a pretty simple beer and no where near over the top, but I would still say give this one a try if your love peaches.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a decently wet sweeter finish.

SkÅL!

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light gold color, with good carbonation and decent lacing. One finger white head which lingers a while. Predominant smell is peach, with a little malt, yeast, and spice thrown in as well. Taste is very sweet, and a little one dimensional. Very carbonated feel to it as well. This beer is decent, but misses the mark for me. It needs more complexity to be really good.

2.36/5  rDev -33.7%

Brainless on peaches is a complete miss for me. It is too sweet, too yeasty, too hot, the peaches didn't work with the base beer, overall a complete disaster.

Beer is yellow and hazy with a soft white head of small bubbles, some lacing moderate carbonation, so far so good.

Aroma is bready, yeasty, almost like a hefeweizen but all fruit all the way, fusel, hot, offputting but not a disaster.

Beer is medium to light in body, some peach flavor on the back half but the front is dominated by a strong bright harsh alcohol and sweetness that makes me want to stop drinking it immediately. It tastes like poison and that's about as nice as I can get.

1.79/5  rDev -49.7%

Pours a hazy gold color with a large soapy white head which leaves a nice bit of lacing behind. Smells like peaches, alcohol, yeast, spices, and biscuit malt.

The taste is sweet, and has peaches, spices, biscuit malt, and noticeable booze. I wish the alcohol was better hidden, because the strong booze flavor is unwelcome.

Medium bodied, high carbonation, and there is a lot of alcohol burn. I don't think aging this in the cellar would help. While I do like the peach flavor somewhat, the strong booze flavor ruins this beer for me.

2.05/5  rDev -42.4%

This beer was chilled and served in a goblet. This is much like the cherry brainless.

A- The body of the beer is a lightly bubbling clear golden coloration. The head is a thin white color. The head quickly falls to a ring of foam.

S- The aroma of canned peaches mix with a nearly medicinal clove aroma.

T- The light flavor of sweetend peaches, cloves and something nearing solvent tones smacks me in the mouth. Not terrible but not really good.

M- The body seems to be heavy. This needs a bit more carbonation. The alcohol is hot and really just hinders this beer.

O- This beer really isnt doing it for me between very strong cloves, astringency and hot alcohol.

2.81/5  rDev -21.1%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Golden hue with moderate clarity. Decent sized head has fair retention.

Aroma-Dry peaches with a slightly anise-like, medicinal phenolic aroma. Slight perfumy alcohols and peach candies, but the overall peach cough syrup impression is the most prevalent.

Flavor-I'm not a huge fan of the flavor here. Reminds me of a blend of peach schnapps and peach cough syrup. Sweet up front and quite dry in the finish. Some peppery alcohols at the close, but that same anise/medicinal phenol character dominates. Not my favorite.

Mouthfeel-Medium full body with moderate carbonation. Carbonation could be a bit higher.

I couldn't really get over the peach schnapps/peach cough syrup aroma/flavor-not my thing.

2.86/5  rDev -19.7%

A: pale golden straw colored with off-white head. Retention is ok.

S: Peach concentrate and earthy funk.

T: This is very medicinal if there was a peach flavored dimetapp It would taste better than this. Hops provide some bitterness and the pure peach syrup flavor is just a weird addition to the mix.

M: Sticky

O: Flawed beer, this is far too medicinal... maybe oxidized

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%

This is release #4 (as marked on the bottle),poured into a tulip style glass.

A - Pours a hazy medium golden orange color with mild carbonation, and barely a one fingered head.

S - Aroma is peachy with some light funk going on. The peach aroma reminds me of that canned peach smell from the grocery store. Not much else going on.

T - Canned peach taste, slightly spicy, oak is very subdued, yeasty, bready, slightly crisp, and delivers a slight "white wine-like" flavor. There's also a slight tart presence with a little zing to it.

M - Light medium body with the tartness hitting the palette with a strong dry finish up front, but on the back end leaves the mouth watering.

O - This is a very interesting beer that moshes the unique character of a Belgian ale with the nuance of peaches. I like Belgian ales and love peaches so the marriage between the two worlds makes for a very unique experience. My wife HATES peaches so I decided to trick her this afternoon and pour a small sample in her glass to see what she thought. Her reaction was very positive so I ended up pouring a full glass and she enjoyed every sip. After she finished the glass I showed her the bottle and I got the reaction that was not expected..."Wow! I really like this!" I tip my glass to Epic. Nicely done and another enjoyable beer that deviates from the mainstream of most others. I'd definitely buy more of this. Regarding the Exponential Series, I've really enjoyed the three I've tried so far.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Pours a cloudy light orange with an inch of white foam that faded fairly quickly leaving no lacing at all.
S - The belgian yeast is fairly strong along with the french oak with just a hint of the peaches
T - there is a hint of the peaches and a bit of the spicy belgian yeast, I think this one is hurt by the french oak which I think gives it a specific flavor that I'm not a fan of.
M - crisp almost too lively carbonation, medium bodied
D - not bad, but I was expecting more of the peach flavor and less of the yeast and oak.

2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

This review is from having it on tap at Bodega. I also tried a little bit of this from the bottle at a recent tasting.

Appearance
This looked pretty typical. Its a really pale golden yellow. The peaches don't seem to have effected the color much, but I didn't get a full pour of the base beer so I can't be certain.

Aroma
The acetone I found in the Brainless on Cherries is really big and pervasive here. It smells pretty much like my girl friend is painting her nails while I sit next to her, drinking some peach iced tea. The peach is very light on the aroma, but it is noticeable.

Taste
I think the peach is even lighter on the taste. Alcohol and a sloppy use of Belgian yeast are much bigger. Alcohol kicks too hard at the end.

Mouthfeel
Dry with an earthy, chalky grittiness.

Overall
I was still able to enjoy this beer, and I easily finished the glass. It is just a bit rough around the edges. This is the one by Epic that I was most excited for. I'm glad to hear that they still fiddle with the recipes in this series. This one could easily improve.

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%

22 ounce bottle, Release #3, 10.5% ABV (Epic's website says it was brewed on December 3, 2010). Served in a tulip glass, the beer pours a hazy dark gold color with about an inch white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. The brew smells like peaches, candy sugar and light hops. It's a nice aroma but it seems a little bit weak to me. Good thing the taste is stronger than the aroma. It tastes like sweet and tart peaches, candy sugar, cloves, Belgian yeast and some oak and vanilla. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium with good carbonation, it's a bit slick and it's also easy to drink. The alcohol is well hidden in this brew. I think it's good, and definitely worth trying. But for $12.99 a bottle, I'm not sure how often I would buy it.

2.98/5  rDev -16.3%

Release #2

Pours a hazy dark gold color with a two finger white foam head that slowly settles into a thin ring. Minimal spots of lacing left behind.

Slightly funky aroma with a prominent earthy oak character along with some sweet alcohol, spice, peaches and other light fruit. As it warms the peaches stand out a bit more in the nose but the oak barrel dominates.

Medium bodied with lots of tight carbonation up front followed by some sweet fruit and hot booze that lingers into a dry finish. Dry and funky with a very strong barrel presence that overpowers the peach flavor. Lots of dry, toasted/charred oak along with some funky, dry yeast. Similarly to the aroma, the peach flavor becomes a bit stronger as the beer warms but it's still buried under the other flavors. A bit of sweetness in the finish with a lot of boozy heat.

I've liked most of what I've had from Epic so far but this was a disappointment. Just too one dimensional for my taste with hardly any peach flavor.

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

Picked this up along with a bottle of it's brother, Brainless on Cherries (review forthcoming). Opened on the patio with a buddy, we both agreed that the oak wasn't that overpowering, which is generally good, but bad when it doesn't really cut the sweetness, or add another layer to the beer.

Which is what happened here. While I get loads of vanilla on the front, the finish is all peach. You'd think it'd be more complex with the French Oak aging, but really all I get is peach, peach, peach.

Overall, I liked this beer - it's an interesting take and shows great creativity, but I wanted more from it than just peach. I know, I know, it's called 'Brainless on Peaches' for a reason, but an oak aged beer should be a little more complex, methinks.

Worth a try if you have an extra $15 laying around, but there's better styles out there at a much more affordable price.

Brainless On Peaches Belgian-Style Ale from Epic Brewing Company