Imperial IPA - Epic Brewing Company

Imperial IPAImperial IPA

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Beer added by: BarrelO on 02-10-2011

This beer is the epitome of Epic’s IPAs. This hard hitting brew manages to pack a punch while still providing that fantastically complex IPA flavor. Slightly floral aromas hit the nose while resinous flavors dominate the body, finishing with the ideal palate cleansing bitterness.

3.64/5  rDev -5.5%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.74/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I believe my tastes have changed, as I really enjoyed this beer according to my previous rating. The beer is decent, but the alcohol comes through more than I'd like and I think detracts from the overall appeal of the beer.

A: yellow to yellow golden, with a nice film of sustaining head, thicker at the edges that yield nice lacing.

S: grainy, hay, meadow. It smells like the part of the brewery where mashing happen - in other words, fresh and spent grain. I get the slightest bit of grapefruit as well.

T: sweet, perhaps a little too much so, little honey-syrup-y along with the grain tastes that I get from the smell. The bitterness is the grapefruit I got in the smell, but the grain (perhaps tanins) and alcohol bite add together with this to cut the opening sweetness. Unfortunately, the combo has a saccharin kind of feel.

M: the beer is quite smooth, but the ending feel is a bit oily.

O: I enjoy front sweetness in a DIPA usually, but this either started too sweet or didn't provide a depth or bitterness to counter it. I assume I had a fresh offering, but perhaps not. I probably need to give this one more try to see if my previous higher rating or this one is more appropriate.

Imperial IPA from Epic Brewing Company