Big Bad Baptist - Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.80% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

It’s Big, it’s Bad, Whiskey &/or Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

http://www.epicbrewing.com/the-bee ... rial-stout

ABV varies by batch
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Bad Baptist Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,962 | Reviews: 484
4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Deep dark black with little to no head - non-aggressive poor.

The aroma is wonderful. Dark chocolate and coffee come off strong.

This is extremely well made. On the taste, I get sweet chocolate and sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, pecan coffee (or something similar), bourbon, brown sugar, oak, and char. On top of all that is a nice tobacco and nutty finish.

It's full bodied and sticky - just the way I like it. The velvety texture of the beer slips down so easily. The booze is well-hidden.

Crazy good! This reminds me a lot of Stone's w00tstout, one of my favorites. It's like a rich dessert with super complex flavors and a lingering taste.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lots of chocolate and coffee and barrel flavor, it's as if they are having a conversation with each other, extremely well balanced. Am very pleased the effort to acquire this beer was worth it!

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Excellent Beer. Hard to find, but excellent to drink.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Absolutely delicious! Aromatic, chocolate, coffee, maybe hint of tobacco in the smell. Taste is thick, creamy slightly chocolatey. Got just a hint of booze awhile into the glass. Surprisingly one of the best American Imperial Stouts I've ever had. Cheers!

4.74/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a stout glass, and this is oil black, with a cappuccino-like thick head that looks silky. Rich, velvety-thick liquid. (Lacing stuck all over the glass throughout)
Oh nice the chocolate up front smells fantastic. There's also a black licorice effect, coffee, wooden barrel and lurking dark fruit, slight alcohol burn. To me, dark cocoa comes through the most, even more so than the coffee. Smells terrific.
Sweet taste up front, chewy mouthfeel to experience this great chocolate and coffee syrup flavor, and a finishing bourbon bite/ chalky hop bitterness of a sensation that balances out this bad boy's sweeter side.
Medium body, super-smooth sipping, and appropriately lower carbonation.
This is easily in my top 5 ever tried of this style. Big and balanced, this stout is a must have for any imperial stout fan.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Cocoa, cappuccino, bourbon, it's got it all. Absolutely delicious.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice, full dark brown head and looks black as night.

Has a velvety smooth, rich feel in the mouth. This has a strong smell of cocoa, coffee and a slight hint of whiskey. It is fine to drink on the colder side, but the cocoa comes out even more the warmer it gets.

The taste has a strong amount of black coffee, cocoa and subtle sweetness of aged whiskey with a dry aftertaste.

Even though there is a high ABV (11.7) this is extremely easy to drink and is light-medium bodied not very thick and heavy despite the rich flavors.

I'm going to pick up another bottle or two and see how it ages. This is my new favorite from Epic and I would love to have this on tap.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Pitch black with minimal head around the edges. Head is tan in color with good lacing.

S - Sweetness and chocolate. Prunes, raisins, and some hops.

T - Very sweet front with chocolate middle and a mildly bitter coffee aftertaste.

M- Heavy with some carbination and alcohol burn. Nice and smooth.

O - Easy drinking beer. Pleastant sweetness with tons of flavor and not much bitterness.

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 650 ml bomber into snifter.

Label indicates 12.4 ABV (Release #36)

A: Opaque black with thin brown foam that tries hard to hold on, but dissipates fairly quickly.

S: Oh, the smell! Beautiful cocoa, coffee, barrel and booze throughout.

T: Taste pleasantly follows smell: rich malt, dark chocolate and not too bitter coffee, some acidity, maybe from the barrel. Coffee and booze play together well in the aftertaste.

M: Full body, creamy from the lively carbo, good heat from the whiskey.

O: I love how this beer's smell hangs on almost to the last sip. I also love how the taste does not belie the great smell. I usually look for 12 oz version of beers coming in a 750 ml bomber. It may sound like heresy, but this is a beer that i wish the bomber would be larger. Great balance. Recommended!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A very good beer!
Poured with a creamy head.
Chocolaty roasty aroma, not burning with alcohol, reminded me of a mellow roasted chocolate aroma.
Lots of chocolate flavor, smooth, mellow, no alcohol burn, not a lot of oak or barrel flavor, but a definite vanilla buttery smoothness. Maybe the vanilla is from the barrel, but whatever, it works well with this beer, one of the best barrel stouts.
I wish I had more of this one, it is definitely worth seeking out.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I bought this a few years ago... maybe a year and a half. I was looking to have it over the holidays but it ended up not happening and then I had kind of forgot it in the stash. And now, it rises.

I know I bought it in Fort Collins.

Appearance is quite nice in the glass. It pours with a deep brown tone but when it collects it is a near black with a very tiny bit of a cream and coffee tone head. The look is more than promising. I like the black shade.

The smell is of sharp roasted coffee. The booze is hardly noticeable, keep in mind my bottle has been sitting for awhile. I get a touch of bitter chocolate, just a slight tint of vanilla and whiskey. It has a sweet hint to it, maybe a bit of brown sugar to the nose.

The taste is rich with coffee blended with a bit of whisky. This is like the best coffee and whisky in the morning possibility. The coffee really takes off and hangs on to the very end and lingers in the mouth. The whisky fluctuates with the sweetness that lands in vanilla, charred caramel, and brown sugar notes. It is a bit piney. I get some exceptionally dry dark chocolate tones toward the end that die out and head back quickly to the coffee and touches of whisky and booze.

Mouthfeel is oily and slick. Quite drinkable with a bitter and punch of a dry finish that begs for another sip each time. I was very surprised by how exceptionally good this was for the modest price. $9 or so, I mean... you can't complain at all. It is a magnificent deal and a very good Imperial Stout for that.

Overall. Price was more than right. My only comment is that I felt the whisky taste was a bit lower than I would like... but I like a boisterous amount of whisky with my imperial stout. This is pretty well cut across the board other than the coffee taking the spotlight. Not to heavy not to continue drinking and enjoying, which is great. I would buy this again, hands down, to really break the craving for a solid imperial stout. Apparently ages just fine, too. It may have lost some of the cocoa nib... but it is still excellent.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Black.
S: Coffee dominates the aroma followed by some chocolate and a minimal amount of barrel aromas including vanilla.
T: Strong coffee, chocolate, little ABV noticeable, smooth.
M: Full body.
Not as complex as I like my BBA but a nice drinkable coffee and chocolate forward stout The coffee hides the high abv well.

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

Very chocolately. Almost burnt or bitter. Interesting. I prefer less chocolate but I'm not a chocolate lover.

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Release #5

I saved this one for my 600th review on BA. I went back to my all time favorite style=BA Imperial stout.

Tons of creamy milk chocolate head is achieved with a vigorous pour (about three fingers actually). Body is the 3000 mile used motor oil standard. Nose is well, Wow! The coffee plays huge here. Really fresh ground coffee of the very fine variety. Fresh chocolate cake is there also, hold the icing. Very nice aroma. With first sip the coffee dominance continues. The coffee is just so bright and flavorful. Rich and succulent just like that perfect morning cup. The bourbon really is hard to find in this beer, maybe it could use just a little more time in the barrels. This may stand as the most pure coffee forward beer that I have ever had the joy of having. Other flavors include molasses, black cherries and bitter dark chocolate. What more can I say, the flavor, the finish, and the feel are just a coffee and stout lovers dream. I may have just found my new favorite morning brew.

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

22 oz bottle, release #13, poured into a Half Acre snifter.

Pours a dark brown/black body with a mocha head of 1 finger thickness, dissipates to rimming which persists throughout the drink.

Smell is insane, strong strong coffe and cacaao, a litte vanilla, some borubon, toffee, overall quite aromatic.

Taste is fantastic. Immediate roasty flavor with coffee flavor and bitterness, some chocolate and vanilla sweetness, bourbon is additional and not dominating but a little subdued, very nice and balanced.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and chewy with medium carbonation and and sticky but dry finish.

Overall, I am loving this beer. I am loving it even more knowing that I bought it off the shelf and that it tastes better than most beers I've ever had. Win-win, Epic. Wonderful job.

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

bomber into an oversized wine glass

Ap- dark dark brown in color and thick looking. Looks like a typical big stout. Dark tan had sticks around for just a bit then clings to the glass.

Ar- coffee bomb, cocoa, dark chocolate, roasted malts, some dark fruit...this one is one of the best smelling beers I have ever stuffed my nose into. As a HUGE fan of coffee stouts this one earns a rare "5".

T- weird...coffee, cocoa, roasty malts and a bit of barrel but just barely. Not being a huge fan of "whiskey" tasting beers this one fits just perfect. The barrel presense is barely there but in just the right amount. Bottle is labeled 12.5% alcohol and this beer hides it very well.

M- a bit bubbly for a stout but nothing outragous or anything. thick bodied and the alcohol warms your mouth on the hold.

O- an awesome stout, very well done, this is the best beer by EPIC that I have ever had. Ive had FBS, KBS, CBS and other big stouts I can honestly say this one is just as good!

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This was brewed in SLC, # 2072 then some numbers I can't read...

Pours ebony with 2 fingers of mocha colored head. Great lacing & head retention, very bubbly...

S: Coffee, chocolate, a little bit of red pepper

T: All the nose is here up front; loads of coffee, a little caramel as well. Seems like a little barrel hiding in the background as this warms. Much coffee & chille heat, some more caramel sweetness, mocha as well. Finishes with heat, dryness, caramel, & much coffee...

MF: Medium bodied, warming, & firm carbonation. Thins as touch as this warms, still pretty nice...

Drinks so easy for the style, I liked it a little more on tap. This on the must purchase list the next time I'm back where this is feasible. LOVED this...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is from Batch #3 according to the label. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a snifter. I recently bought this at a local bottle shop, so I wasn't responsible for its aging (it appears Batch #3 was bottled back in late 2011).

A: Opaque dark brown; thick and viscous. Not a ton of head, actually. Probably less than a quarter inch with very fine bubbles. Looks like the small bit of foam you'd get in a cup of French-pressed coffee.

S: Vanilla, bourbon, mocha/espresso. Not super strong-smelling, but nonetheless pleasant.

T: Coffee jumps out, then chocolate; it's relatively sweet, and I expected a slightly bitter finish that never actually came. It was just a rumor of bitterness, really, just on the back of the tongue. If I tried, I might get a tinge of bourbon every three sips. Overall, it is sweeter than it is bitter.

M: Thick and viscous, even more so than expected after the pour. Very smooth, with subtle carbonation. It coats the tongue like good braising liquid.

Overall: This is a fantastic version of the style, one that I picked up on a whim after my wife suggested it. Hadn't had much from Epic before, coming from the east coast. I was very pleasantly surprised and would happily pay another 10-12 bucks for this. Good on a cool, wet fall night.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A 4.5 - pitch black beer with a mocha head that sticks and leaves surprisingly good lacing for a high abv beer
S 4.5 - dark chocolate, cafe mocha, espresso, bourbon, smoky, roasted malts, a very "dark" beer by all means
T 4.75 - the taste on this beer is phenomenal, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, espresso, roasted grains, smoky, cream, whole milk, wooden barrels, some bourbon but surprisingly light on that. It reminds me of well aged Bells Expedition stout (1.5-2 years)
M 4.75 - again, heavy as can be - a hot fudge milkshake in beer form. alc completely covered. Aftertaste is smoky, espresso/dark chocolate.
O - 4.75 - damn. The downside is the price tag at ~12/bomber? But its damn good and better than most beers that charge even more.

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks to Jeremy6566 for sending me this Big Bad bomber! Release#9 poured into my Deschutes tulip glass.

A - Pours almost black, with 1 finger of mocha colored head. It fades leaving a ring of brown lace.

S - The smell is amazing on this one! Coffee initally, but as I inhale deeper, I'm getting the bourbon, followed by some chocolate and coconut.

T/M - Wow, there's a lot going on in the taste. Starts out with a big wave of coffee and bourbon. After the initial burst of coffee and bourbon comes the chocolate and coconut. A nice blend of all the flavors. The coffee and bourbon really take center stage, but then the chocolate comes and really rounds out the flavors. It is a little boozy, but at 11.8% that's to be expected. Full mouthfeel, perfect carbonation

O - Hands down one of the best BBA stouts I've ever had. All the flavors are on point, nothing too over powering. Alcohol is there, but very subdued. Excellent brew, and again, a big thanks to Jeremy6566 for this amazing brew!

Cheers!

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2011 bottle opened in 2015. It's possible my review is on the high side due to the aging.

Appearance – Pitch black with a nice brown head and lacing that initially runs back into the beer, then sticks to the glass as the beer sits longer.

Smell – A powerful blast of espresso coffee (maybe too much in the smell, but it works for the taste), roasted malts, whisky, and chocolate. Just a touch of vanilla.

Taste – Whisky is more pronounced in the taste than the smell, but it's not overpowering; it’s actually the perfect amount. Espresso, malt, and chocolate. Very nice!

Mouthfeel – Creamy, and velvety, perfectly carbonated. Although the whiskey lingers in the aftertaste, it’s very pleasant and not too strong.

Drinkability – A surprisingly good stout. Highly recommended!

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served on tap at the brewery in Denver. Pours a pitch black with viscous apperance and dark brown head. The nose is amazing, freshly brewed bold coffee is oozing with light notes of whiskey and roasted malts in the background. Vanilla and chocolate are also present. Taste matches the nose. Coffee up front, smooth notes of vanilla and chocolate with mild whiskey at the end. The barrel aged character is well integrated with the base beer. Mouthfeel is silky smooth with mild carbonation. Overall, this is an under the radar beer for sure. It can be found on shelves pretty easily, but the taste is right up there with many of the beers that never see the light of a shelf.

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Deep black and beautiful, no lacing...

N - Chocolate, sweet fruit, coffee

T - Coffee, sweet fruit, chocolate, lite bourbon(mainly on after taste) Taste more like a bourbon soaked fruit with nibs...

M - Full bodied, medium carbonation, smooth!

O - One of my fav stouts for winter!! So good not to try it!! Enjoy!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Big bad boozy dude! Grab some bottles and store them for some years.

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer poors pitch black with a mellow, brown cocoa head. Smells like a delicous mocha coffee. Vanilla and bourbon are noticeable secondary notes.
On the first sip, Big Baptist coats the tongue with a well balanced mix of cocoa and coffee. The coffee blend tastes like a quality brand was used, very robust and quasi espresso flavors come through. The chocolate was dark, sweet, and bitter. This made me happy, as I prefer dark chocolate versus super sweet in my beers. Vanilla, bourbon, and oak are present throughout, but become more pronounced on the back end of the palate. The mouthfeel is viscous, yet pleasantly light enough. Baptist drinks smooth and easy. I actually wanted more after I finished my bomber. Overall, this was an impressive beer that I rank right up there with The Abyss, but slightly below Goose Island BCBS. I can't compare it to KBS, as the only one I was able to procure mysteriously disappeared a year ago from my fridge. Yes, I'm still crying about that. Baptist fills a niche that I'm fond of; a beer you want when you can't tackle a bigger BCBS type brew. My first beer from Epic and it will not be my last. Very nicely done.

Big Bad Baptist from Epic Brewing Company