Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Big Bad Baptist - Epic Brewing Company

Big Bad BaptistBig Bad Baptist

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.80% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

It’s Big, it’s Bad, Whiskey &/or Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

http://www.epicbrewing.com/the-bee ... rial-stout

ABV varies by batch
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Bad Baptist Alström Bros
Reviews: 461 | Hads: 3,047
1.59/5  rDev -63%

Poured from a bomber into a Town Hall Sniffer.

A. Pours a deep dark black, mild mocha head about 1 finger thick.

S. Extremely heavy coffee. Almost like fresh coffee beans. That is really the only smell coming off of this beer. Extremely strong.

T. This beer tastes of of pure coffee beans, after they have been used to make five batches. Strong toffee, bitter, lots of coffee. It really is overbearing.

M. Coarse, thick bodied. Slightly dry finish.

O. I did not like this beer at all. It is overbearing wet coffee grounds through and through. It is just too much. This is one of the two beers I have ever poured out. I would not suggest this beer to anyone.

2.22/5  rDev -48.4%

Almost black body with hints of brown. Small chocolate brown head initially on the pour but has faded to nothing. Lacing is very minimal, gradually falls back into the body.

Big aromas and they're very sweet smelling. Lots of chocolate covered espresso beans, brown sugar, chocolate candy bars, and roasted coffee notes.

Espresso and chocolate are on the palate right away. Not quite as medium or full-bodied as I was expecting this to be. Tastes are actually thin. The beer doesn't seem to be over carbonated so I can't see that being the factor in the watered down flavors. You can detect the coffee, espresso, cocoa, but they don't really shine as much as I thought they would. I do get heat here but nothing that shows me this was aged in Whiskey barrels. Alcohol is quite predominant in the middle then left with a touch of heat and a roasted semi-dry bitterness on the finish.

I was hoping for a little more from this one. It has plenty of things going on that should be good...cocoa nibs, coffee, and aged in whiskey barrels. Altough this one doesn't showcase all that much of a whiskey character and the flavors don't add up to much here. I'd like to see how this beer comes through on tap or a nitro pour.

2.24/5  rDev -47.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Pours a midnight black color with a soft tan head. No real retention to speak of even when trying to help it out. Some viscous lingering on the glass.

The nose is coffee forward. Really no other aromas come out. Some maybe minor malt and hint of chocolate but would have liked more balance.

The taste is bit more on par although coffee is dominant. Beyond the coffee is a light chocolate note. Some minor whiskey/fusel notes as it warms but really not much beyond coffee. Again looking for balance here.

The body is moderate with a more astringent finish. Some fusel/hot notes that is more of a distraction than anything. Carbonation is not present. Overall this is more of a call coffee with alcohol than a beer.

2.47/5  rDev -42.6%

I had very high expectations but was severly disappointed. I was hoping for a Big John sort of quality & flavor -- it's certainly not that. The smell is powerful but I'm not sure how to describe it -- musty, perhaps? The taste is out of balance ... incoherent. A mix of flavors, each trying to out do the other, certainly not in harmony. Often even a mediocre beer gets better during a sitting as the taste buds acclimate ... not the case for me with this one. Stay away.

2.71/5  rDev -37%

1593rd Review on BA
Bottle to Woodshop snifter

Release #9
Purchased at Total Wine Brea for $10.99

App- A really great looking stout in the glass. It was a very deep brown. Bordered on black and very dense in the center and even the edges stay black. A good 1" tan head that faded to a small ring. Couple dots of cling.

Smell- Well it completely loses me here. Pure pressed coffee thats already been brewed with a big malt backbone. Large bitter.

Taste- Pure over brewed and roasted coffee. I get nothing but coffee and bit roast.

Mouth- A thin medium body with a thin carbonation. Way too much coffee. Just not a great flavor.

Drink- Just a bad beer. Wont come back.

2.77/5  rDev -35.6%

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass on 10/30/11

Release #1

Pours a stained cherry brown and settle up rather dark with a one finger cap of sandy brown foam. The head drops quickly to a skimmed layer of foam and a large patch of bubbles shoved off to the side. Drippy lace hangs from a third of the glass. Swirling helps keep the head alive.

Dang, the coffee addition rules the roost as far as the aroma is concerned. If I didn't know better, I'd assume this was a spot of espresso. Swirling draws forth meager notes of sweet whiskey and a hint of charred oak. As it warms there are suggestions of vanilla, but I'm not getting anything from the cocoa nibs. It keeps reverting back to espresso throughout the whole glass. Overtones of booze as it warms further.

After taking a sip it seems this is, in fact, beer. Hey, off to a good start, right? That said, the flavor profile table is slanted and all the ingredients are tumbling about, longing for the floor. Things start off sweet, courtesy of chocolate tones and whiskey nips. The middle finds overtones of oak as things shift toward roasted coffee, which carries everything on down. Full on espresso lingers long on the floor. Tastes a bit harsher as it warms, which is kind of a surprise.

Fairly full bodied, but not overly viscous; kind of nimble as far as imperial stouts tend to go (though it does seem to bulk up a bit over time). Carbonation is higher than I prefer, but not inappropriate here, I guess. At least it's puffy instead of prickly. Though not entirely hidden, alcohol is largely masked; it tends to be warming and is most apparent on the floor.

As far as I'm concerned, this needs some serious clean-up. Namely, the coffee is out of control and needs to be reigned in. I hate to be the one to police the Hype Pipe © usage that seems is going on here, but this is far from an astounding barreled take on the style. Perhaps it might improve as the coffee fades, but, at this price point, I'm not likely to pick up a second bottle to find out.

If you like intensely bitter coffee and chocolate, and prefer a little whiskey with those foodstuffs, then this is the beer for you! (However, this one, Release #34, was not the beer for me.)

3.08/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a 22oz bomber into the trusty new belgium globe.
Pours a black body with a tan, almost caramel colored head. Good retention, sticks around for a bit and recedes into a 1/4 in layer of creamy goodness. Smells like coffee grounds in the garbage. Getting some rotten vegetables on the nose too, seriously. This smells like a trashcan in a coffee shop. Taste is pretty good, getting the coffee, dark malts, toffee, chocolate, but that damned rotten vegetable composted coffee smell permeates the experience. Mouthfeel is good, consistant with an imperial stout. Overall I feel cheated. I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or what. Flavors were spot on, but the smell was pretty horrible. For now my rating stays, but I want to revist this in hopes it was some sort of terrible mistake...

3.18/5  rDev -26%

Got this one from ScottO. Cheers for the trade man!

From a bomber into a snifter
Exponential Series
Release no.22
ABV: 10.2%
Stout with cocoa nibs and coffee added and aged in whisky barrels

APPEARANCE: A clear black pour produces a 1+ finger, medium looking, fluffy tan head with very good retention. Black body with higher levels of carbonation for the style. Head eventually fades to a full film and ring and the carbonation calms quickly as well. A slight wisp and ring remain leaving some dots of lacing down the glass. Pretty good looking.

SMELL: Lots of coffee on the nose. Roasted and burnt coffee beans, espresso, sweet cream, caramel and toffee notes on the nose. Very coffee dominant, with burnt coffee beans and some light notes of sweet cream. Little to no cocoa or whisky barrels. One dimensional and not as advertised, but still a solid imperial coffee stout.

TASTE: Like the nose, lots of burnt coffee up front. Burnt and roasted black coffee beans with light sweet cream notes, then touches of caramel through the swallow. A big and bitter finish with notes of whisky and cocoa under an avalanche of bitter, black coffee beans and burnt espresso. Very roasted with lots of coffee bitterness that pretty much dominate any hints of whisky barrel or cocoa that might be there. Tasty for sure, but not really as advertised.

PALATE: Medium-full body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth with a scratch at the swallow and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Big with more than enough weight. Some bitter coffee lingers. Really good feel.

OVERALL: This is actually a really good coffee stout. As a BA cocoa and coffee stout it is definitely lacking, but as a coffee stout, it's great. The cocoa are way outplayed here and the whisky barrel aging is pretty minimal at best, but it's still really tasty and enjoyable. Take the scores with a grain of salt, as I'm reviewing to the label specification. This is a quality imperial coffee stout, nevertheless. Recommended.

3.24/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Batch 15.

Appearance - Black with a small khaki head. Medium collar.

Smell - A little bit peppery and spicy. Oaky. A little chocolate.

Taste - A little more bourbon. Some spice. Cinnamon. Coffee. Bitter oak.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Kinda thin. Very oaky.

Overall - Not terribly impressed. Very spicy.

3.24/5  rDev -24.7%

All winter I drank stouts, finding a love for those that are aged in bourbon barrels so I was very excited to be gifted this. I opened it with such anticipation. I might be a little weird but when I smelled it it was off putting. No whiskey smell at all....ok, well I let it warm up and when I drank it I wasnt impressed. I didnt taste any whiskey at all. Don't get me wrong, It's a good stout but not one of my favorites. I will take a siberian night or wulver over this any day.

3.3/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Release #1.

Pours a viscous liquid that is deep black color. Half inch of head forms and settles quickly to a thin cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Aromas begin with mainly fresh black coffee, lots of darkly roasted espresso beans. This does not change much even as the beer gets close to room temperature. Subtle complementary notes of roasted malt, dark bitter chocolate and the faintest trace of whiskey.

The tastes follow the nose with a straightforward coffee flavor, overtaking all the complementary base beer flavors. A little bit of roasted, burnt bitterness from the malt. Slight hint of dark chocolate. The barrel aging did not impart much flavor, definitely would have liked a lot more and I am not a fan of overly barrel heavy beers, but this needs more. Alcohol is well hidden. Just slightly warming in the finish. Quite unbalanced with the heavy coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and close to perfect carbonation. Finish is dry and mildly bitter from the abundant coffee additions.

Overall, the flavors were way too dominated by one element; the coffee. Little to no barrel flavors, bitter roasty coffee overshaddows everything else here. It is not bad by any means, flavor-wise, but I can go get a cup of Joe for a buck at the convenience store. A coffee bomb of a beer indeed, so if that's your thing, not for me though, and I love coffee.

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

650ml bottle. Release #3.

Pours a blackish brown with a big tan head that leaves some nice lacing.

Coffee dominates the smell. I am not getting the bourbon and only slight cocoa.

Coffee also dominates the flavor. I feel like the flavors aren't meshing in this one. It just tastes like a coffee stout to the nth degree.

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

A - Very dark with just a hint of red around the edges. Creamy medium-dark head that falls slowly.

S - Smells like a coffee roasters place. not like a cup of coffee, but like the actual roast. Hint of chocolate and malts in the mix. After a few moments there is a vanilla and alcohol scent. (I actually did not know this was a whickey barrelled beer until just now)

T - Not as good as the scent. Seems a bit confused. Instead of the coffee, chocolate and barrel ageing mixing, they seem to each be trying to stand on their own. it is like different parts of the mouthful have different flavors.

M - Thin, but leaves a little coating. Mild alcohol tingle in throat. Timgle on sides of tongue.

O - Very close. There is just something about the flavor palate that is odd. it is like this brew is fighting itself.

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Release #22 (brewed 8/7/13... now I remember that I meant to wait another week for its birthday!) into a snifter at fridge temp, allowed to warm.

Look: thick, dark brown with almost no head and low carbonation.

Smell: not good. There's something that might be coffee, but there's also a very strange vegetal (green bell pepper) note, and a strong harsh chemical/metallic note—it's what I imagine battery acid might smell like. As it warms, chocolate comes through a bit more; I never get more than the faintest hint of barrel.

Taste: coffee, roast, chocolate, with a bite reminiscent of peppers. If I didn't know better, I'd think this had been aged on chiles. I don't like too much spirits presence in barrel-aged stuff, but I'm not getting anything here. Needs more barrel.

Feel: pretty thick mouthfeel, not especially dry, fairly well-carbonated (but fine for the style).

Overall: I had one of these fresh, but didn't take notes; my memory is that I liked it better then. This is okay, but I'd rate it behind something like (the admittedly very solid) Stone Espresso IRS. With more barrel presence and less of those slight off-notes, it could be very good, but as it is, it's merely okay.

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

Never have seen this one around my area, so when I saw a bottle at Peabody's in Boone, I snagged it right up! Once I got home, I found out my local store had some cases in as well. Oh well.

22oz bottle. Batch #8 (Sept. '12 release). Poured into my brand new Hardywood snifter.

This beer just hesitantly glugs out of the bottle. This is an über thick coal black beer. Sits in the glass nicely. A small mocha head rests atop. Great spotty lace left behind, reminding me of what was. The aroma just smacks of fresh coffee. Big roasted coffee bean scent, chocolate powder, some booze quality. Really a nice inviting aroma.

Wonderful creamy feel that just envelopes the palate like a warm blanket. Subtle carbonation never forces itself. Smooth finish. This is one of the heavier beers I've had in quite some time. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. Did I mention the coffee? This is one of the most potent coffee-forward beers I have ever had. This would wake up a dead man. Huge roasted flavors abound. Subtle sweetness of cocoa nibs and chocolate chips. Mild oak-like character gives it s a slight dry aftertaste. The whiskey isn't as prominent as I expected. I had hoped for more of a bourbon kick, but with this batch, there is none. This sort of muddles out at the end, and just finishes with more coffee.

I'm not sure what I think of this. I guess I expected a more balanced barreled beer, but this is a one-trick pony: a straight up coffee beer. I normally like that style, but this just seemed too much overkill. I don't think I'd revisit this batch again. Glad I tried it, but holy crap was this rich.

3.41/5  rDev -20.7%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/9/12
*From notes

-- Bomber split with my Pops, which is always a pleasure. --

A: Dark, velvety brown. A generous pour yields a dense 1.5 finger head. Creamy, thick lacing follows as the head begins to fall.

S: Really green. Overly so, in fact. It's freshly harvest coffee beans to the max. It's all a bit much for me.

T: Not a whole lot of bourbon here, sadly. Really, when they say "coffee infused", they aren't kidding. Sure, there's some chocolate here, but that green coffee vibe simply can't be shaken. In your face doesn't begin to describe it.

M: Now that's more like it. One of the thicker ADIS's I've encountered the last few weeks. Creamy like heavy whipping cream.

O: Where's the balance here? The coffee is untamed and out of control. I don't think aging will do much good, as there's not enough whiskey booze to keep it in check. Not a bad beer, but there's certainly better and more readily available Imperial Stouts on the market.

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours out like old motor oil with a fairly brown head about three-fingers, with good retention, and some nice lacing on the cup.

Smell is burnt malts to be sure, some coffee is pretty there, and I really don't get much else from the nose.

Taste is burnt malts, lots of coffee (way more than in the nose), maybe a tiny bit of chocolate but coffee and burnt malts are the prominent things here. Chocolate is WAY in the background and I would not have noticed it except I read nibs on the bottle and tried hard to find them. This is pretty fresh but really not much chocolate at all.

Mouthfeel is semi-thick, not too thick for the style. Not a bad thing but just not thick for what I would expect.

Overall this is an OK beer. I can't taste ANY whisky as this is supposed to be aged in whiskey barrels. Just does not taste like a barrel aged stout. The coffee makes this stout nice and is the highlight here. I always try to drink a coffee stout soon as coffee fades quick and maybe if it was aged more flavor would have came out from it but this is just not anything like a BA Stout. It's not a bad stout by any means but just not anything special that I would buy again. I heard some hype for this and am just not getting it.

3.49/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the only highly-rated barrel-aged stout I cannot seem to enjoy. Every time I've had it, the bitterness was overwhelming. The good news? More for everyone who seems to love it.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

22oz bottle. Pours dark brown black with a smallish light brown head that goes to a thin film and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet fudgy chocolate and a little coffee. Boozy bourbon comes out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet fudgy chocolate with a lot of roast to balance and some slightly acidic roasted coffee. As I drink more, the burnt, ashy, char roast dominates. Some vanilla and bourbon come out too. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and a little watery.

Overall, almost really good, but I end up thinking ashy cigarettes and day old coffee.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Release #20.
Poured from a bomber into a tulip on 06.17.14.

A: 1/3 finger tan head that quickly recedes. Midnight black body with no red in the glass.

S: Strong coffee with a chocolate base.

T: Coffee is dominant. A tiny bit of vanilla is subtle. Fig and pepper come out on the finish when it's warm.

M: Creamy. Soda-level bubbles on the tongue. I don't usually care much about mouthfeel, but this one is too bubbly.

O: The coffee was too strong in this one. It overpowered everything else. The vanilla was barely there to the point that it seemed like a stout that hadn't been aged in barrels. There was also a massive alcohol burn which is understandable at 10.5% ABV, but other BB stouts have hidden the alcohol much better. I'm aging another one that hopefully turns out better. I wouldn't buy this one again, as it is.

Rating: C-, 70/100.

3.55/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This gets my nomination for beer name of the year. When I read about this release, I giggled & had to have one. Luckily it showed up locally. 22 oz. bottle split into two Darkness glasses. Release #1.

Pour is black. Nose catapults out of the bottle whilst the beer is mixing with the air with a blast of coffee, coffee, & maybe a little roast.

Big Bad Baptist should be the brew of choice for Mitt's coming campaign. This beer could keep people up a night, there are at least sixteen shots of espresso topping off whatever beer is present. There are also a few layers that come with a distinctiveness that's startling. Under the coffee there's vanilla/bourbon, then to a lesser degree, sweet malts. Roast is mixed in somewhere, indistinguishable from the coffee except for the char shadowing the aftertaste. But ultimately this is a coffee game that goes genocide on everything else, limiting its upside.

This is a big improvement on the Epic Imperial Stout, but I wish the entire ton of coffee didn't fall into the mash tun. Oh well. Ultimately, a good beer that could use a lighter spin in the coffee washer.

3.55/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Good coffee laden stout, barely fair as a bourbonesque brew.

Presentation: 22 oz brown capped bottle. Paper label with a simple light cream background and a black label with the name of the brew and series branding punctuated by drawing of a pilgrim/like bearded man opening a jar.. Side narrative Offers a small note about the special and limited character of the brew, and encourages to check their website for more details. Notes release #1, and 11.7 % Alc. by Vol. Served in a snifter.

A - Black pour with brown edges, fair 1/3" creamy brown head, poor retention and lacing with a fair surface memory ring.

S - Prominent coffee nose, not badly done… a bit plain but fair with a minimal hint of complex sweetness behind it.

T- Palate follows with a roasted coffee commanding note, malty… touch of chocolate and a sweetness that is minimally vanilla, whiskyeske… very short there, but the roasted sense and the sturdy but correct coffee do a good job to sustain the brew.

M - Medium-full body with tingly carbonation, fairly smooth ride with a small bitterness and an emerging boozy touch.

O - Nice sipper, a bit to compact and too skewed towards the coffee but pretty pleasing.

Notes: Blasphemy: in the KBS range without the hype, missing the Bourbon barrel, and with good coffee.. not too good a coffee but a fair coffee… Dunno, it is nice but nothing that I would actively seek out.

3.56/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I feel I had to review this just because it seems fairly batch dependant. This was batch #27 and it was a coffee bomb. While I love coffee in beers this was more of a coffee with beer in it, somewhere? So take my end number with a grain of salt. It poured a very nice black with an off white head that was a little too pop like for me with next to no lacing. The smell was the best part of this beer, it smelled like a coffee shop, lovely. Too bad it tasted like a cup of coffee, very little cocoa and no whiskey barrel. it came across a little thinner than I like but nice. Overall this beer was OK. Would try again just not batch #27

3.57/5  rDev -17%

A - Pours black, very very very black with a thing mocha head that leaves no lacing.

S - Not picking up a whole lot here. A bit of coffee and molasses and that's about it.

T - Lots of dark coffee and sweet dark chocolate up front, followed by molasses and oak.

M - Very thick body with moderate carbonation. Almost feels like a chocolate milk or something.

O - Overall, it was a heavy coffee stout , however it isn't overally complex. It's very drinkable for 11.8%.

Big Bad Baptist from Epic Brewing Company