Big Bad Baptist - Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.80% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

It’s Big, it’s Bad, Whiskey &/or Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

http://www.epicbrewing.com/the-bee ... rial-stout

ABV varies by batch
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Bad Baptist Alström Bros
Reviews: 445 | Hads: 2,995
3.24/5  rDev -24.5%

All winter I drank stouts, finding a love for those that are aged in bourbon barrels so I was very excited to be gifted this. I opened it with such anticipation. I might be a little weird but when I smelled it it was off putting. No whiskey smell at all....ok, well I let it warm up and when I drank it I wasnt impressed. I didnt taste any whiskey at all. Don't get me wrong, It's a good stout but not one of my favorites. I will take a siberian night or wulver over this any day. (486 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Release #1.

Pours a viscous liquid that is deep black color. Half inch of head forms and settles quickly to a thin cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Aromas begin with mainly fresh black coffee, lots of darkly roasted espresso beans. This does not change much even as the beer gets close to room temperature. Subtle complementary notes of roasted malt, dark bitter chocolate and the faintest trace of whiskey.

The tastes follow the nose with a straightforward coffee flavor, overtaking all the complementary base beer flavors. A little bit of roasted, burnt bitterness from the malt. Slight hint of dark chocolate. The barrel aging did not impart much flavor, definitely would have liked a lot more and I am not a fan of overly barrel heavy beers, but this needs more. Alcohol is well hidden. Just slightly warming in the finish. Quite unbalanced with the heavy coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and close to perfect carbonation. Finish is dry and mildly bitter from the abundant coffee additions.

Overall, the flavors were way too dominated by one element; the coffee. Little to no barrel flavors, bitter roasty coffee overshaddows everything else here. It is not bad by any means, flavor-wise, but I can go get a cup of Joe for a buck at the convenience store. A coffee bomb of a beer indeed, so if that's your thing, not for me though, and I love coffee. (1,405 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -22.4%

650ml bottle. Release #3.

Pours a blackish brown with a big tan head that leaves some nice lacing.

Coffee dominates the smell. I am not getting the bourbon and only slight cocoa.

Coffee also dominates the flavor. I feel like the flavors aren't meshing in this one. It just tastes like a coffee stout to the nth degree. (321 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -22.4%

A - Very dark with just a hint of red around the edges. Creamy medium-dark head that falls slowly.

S - Smells like a coffee roasters place. not like a cup of coffee, but like the actual roast. Hint of chocolate and malts in the mix. After a few moments there is a vanilla and alcohol scent. (I actually did not know this was a whickey barrelled beer until just now)

T - Not as good as the scent. Seems a bit confused. Instead of the coffee, chocolate and barrel ageing mixing, they seem to each be trying to stand on their own. it is like different parts of the mouthful have different flavors.

M - Thin, but leaves a little coating. Mild alcohol tingle in throat. Timgle on sides of tongue.

O - Very close. There is just something about the flavor palate that is odd. it is like this brew is fighting itself. (813 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Release #22 (brewed 8/7/13... now I remember that I meant to wait another week for its birthday!) into a snifter at fridge temp, allowed to warm.

Look: thick, dark brown with almost no head and low carbonation.

Smell: not good. There's something that might be coffee, but there's also a very strange vegetal (green bell pepper) note, and a strong harsh chemical/metallic note—it's what I imagine battery acid might smell like. As it warms, chocolate comes through a bit more; I never get more than the faintest hint of barrel.

Taste: coffee, roast, chocolate, with a bite reminiscent of peppers. If I didn't know better, I'd think this had been aged on chiles. I don't like too much spirits presence in barrel-aged stuff, but I'm not getting anything here. Needs more barrel.

Feel: pretty thick mouthfeel, not especially dry, fairly well-carbonated (but fine for the style).

Overall: I had one of these fresh, but didn't take notes; my memory is that I liked it better then. This is okay, but I'd rate it behind something like (the admittedly very solid) Stone Espresso IRS. With more barrel presence and less of those slight off-notes, it could be very good, but as it is, it's merely okay. (1,198 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -20.7%

Never have seen this one around my area, so when I saw a bottle at Peabody's in Boone, I snagged it right up! Once I got home, I found out my local store had some cases in as well. Oh well.

22oz bottle. Batch #8 (Sept. '12 release). Poured into my brand new Hardywood snifter.

This beer just hesitantly glugs out of the bottle. This is an über thick coal black beer. Sits in the glass nicely. A small mocha head rests atop. Great spotty lace left behind, reminding me of what was. The aroma just smacks of fresh coffee. Big roasted coffee bean scent, chocolate powder, some booze quality. Really a nice inviting aroma.

Wonderful creamy feel that just envelopes the palate like a warm blanket. Subtle carbonation never forces itself. Smooth finish. This is one of the heavier beers I've had in quite some time. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. Did I mention the coffee? This is one of the most potent coffee-forward beers I have ever had. This would wake up a dead man. Huge roasted flavors abound. Subtle sweetness of cocoa nibs and chocolate chips. Mild oak-like character gives it s a slight dry aftertaste. The whiskey isn't as prominent as I expected. I had hoped for more of a bourbon kick, but with this batch, there is none. This sort of muddles out at the end, and just finishes with more coffee.

I'm not sure what I think of this. I guess I expected a more balanced barreled beer, but this is a one-trick pony: a straight up coffee beer. I normally like that style, but this just seemed too much overkill. I don't think I'd revisit this batch again. Glad I tried it, but holy crap was this rich. (1,604 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -20.5%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/9/12
*From notes

-- Bomber split with my Pops, which is always a pleasure. --

A: Dark, velvety brown. A generous pour yields a dense 1.5 finger head. Creamy, thick lacing follows as the head begins to fall.

S: Really green. Overly so, in fact. It's freshly harvest coffee beans to the max. It's all a bit much for me.

T: Not a whole lot of bourbon here, sadly. Really, when they say "coffee infused", they aren't kidding. Sure, there's some chocolate here, but that green coffee vibe simply can't be shaken. In your face doesn't begin to describe it.

M: Now that's more like it. One of the thicker ADIS's I've encountered the last few weeks. Creamy like heavy whipping cream.

O: Where's the balance here? The coffee is untamed and out of control. I don't think aging will do much good, as there's not enough whiskey booze to keep it in check. Not a bad beer, but there's certainly better and more readily available Imperial Stouts on the market. (996 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours out like old motor oil with a fairly brown head about three-fingers, with good retention, and some nice lacing on the cup.

Smell is burnt malts to be sure, some coffee is pretty there, and I really don't get much else from the nose.

Taste is burnt malts, lots of coffee (way more than in the nose), maybe a tiny bit of chocolate but coffee and burnt malts are the prominent things here. Chocolate is WAY in the background and I would not have noticed it except I read nibs on the bottle and tried hard to find them. This is pretty fresh but really not much chocolate at all.

Mouthfeel is semi-thick, not too thick for the style. Not a bad thing but just not thick for what I would expect.

Overall this is an OK beer. I can't taste ANY whisky as this is supposed to be aged in whiskey barrels. Just does not taste like a barrel aged stout. The coffee makes this stout nice and is the highlight here. I always try to drink a coffee stout soon as coffee fades quick and maybe if it was aged more flavor would have came out from it but this is just not anything like a BA Stout. It's not a bad stout by any means but just not anything special that I would buy again. I heard some hype for this and am just not getting it. (1,227 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

22oz bottle. Pours dark brown black with a smallish light brown head that goes to a thin film and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet fudgy chocolate and a little coffee. Boozy bourbon comes out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet fudgy chocolate with a lot of roast to balance and some slightly acidic roasted coffee. As I drink more, the burnt, ashy, char roast dominates. Some vanilla and bourbon come out too. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and a little watery.

Overall, almost really good, but I end up thinking ashy cigarettes and day old coffee. (565 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

Release #20.
Poured from a bomber into a tulip on 06.17.14.

A: 1/3 finger tan head that quickly recedes. Midnight black body with no red in the glass.

S: Strong coffee with a chocolate base.

T: Coffee is dominant. A tiny bit of vanilla is subtle. Fig and pepper come out on the finish when it's warm.

M: Creamy. Soda-level bubbles on the tongue. I don't usually care much about mouthfeel, but this one is too bubbly.

O: The coffee was too strong in this one. It overpowered everything else. The vanilla was barely there to the point that it seemed like a stout that hadn't been aged in barrels. There was also a massive alcohol burn which is understandable at 10.5% ABV, but other BB stouts have hidden the alcohol much better. I'm aging another one that hopefully turns out better. I wouldn't buy this one again, as it is.

Rating: C-, 70/100. (850 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This gets my nomination for beer name of the year. When I read about this release, I giggled & had to have one. Luckily it showed up locally. 22 oz. bottle split into two Darkness glasses. Release #1.

Pour is black. Nose catapults out of the bottle whilst the beer is mixing with the air with a blast of coffee, coffee, & maybe a little roast.

Big Bad Baptist should be the brew of choice for Mitt's coming campaign. This beer could keep people up a night, there are at least sixteen shots of espresso topping off whatever beer is present. There are also a few layers that come with a distinctiveness that's startling. Under the coffee there's vanilla/bourbon, then to a lesser degree, sweet malts. Roast is mixed in somewhere, indistinguishable from the coffee except for the char shadowing the aftertaste. But ultimately this is a coffee game that goes genocide on everything else, limiting its upside.

This is a big improvement on the Epic Imperial Stout, but I wish the entire ton of coffee didn't fall into the mash tun. Oh well. Ultimately, a good beer that could use a lighter spin in the coffee washer. (1,115 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Good coffee laden stout, barely fair as a bourbonesque brew.

Presentation: 22 oz brown capped bottle. Paper label with a simple light cream background and a black label with the name of the brew and series branding punctuated by drawing of a pilgrim/like bearded man opening a jar.. Side narrative Offers a small note about the special and limited character of the brew, and encourages to check their website for more details. Notes release #1, and 11.7 % Alc. by Vol. Served in a snifter.

A - Black pour with brown edges, fair 1/3" creamy brown head, poor retention and lacing with a fair surface memory ring.

S - Prominent coffee nose, not badly done… a bit plain but fair with a minimal hint of complex sweetness behind it.

T- Palate follows with a roasted coffee commanding note, malty… touch of chocolate and a sweetness that is minimally vanilla, whiskyeske… very short there, but the roasted sense and the sturdy but correct coffee do a good job to sustain the brew.

M - Medium-full body with tingly carbonation, fairly smooth ride with a small bitterness and an emerging boozy touch.

O - Nice sipper, a bit to compact and too skewed towards the coffee but pretty pleasing.

Notes: Blasphemy: in the KBS range without the hype, missing the Bourbon barrel, and with good coffee.. not too good a coffee but a fair coffee… Dunno, it is nice but nothing that I would actively seek out. (1,403 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I feel I had to review this just because it seems fairly batch dependant. This was batch #27 and it was a coffee bomb. While I love coffee in beers this was more of a coffee with beer in it, somewhere? So take my end number with a grain of salt. It poured a very nice black with an off white head that was a little too pop like for me with next to no lacing. The smell was the best part of this beer, it smelled like a coffee shop, lovely. Too bad it tasted like a cup of coffee, very little cocoa and no whiskey barrel. it came across a little thinner than I like but nice. Overall this beer was OK. Would try again just not batch #27 (635 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -16.8%

A - Pours black, very very very black with a thing mocha head that leaves no lacing.

S - Not picking up a whole lot here. A bit of coffee and molasses and that's about it.

T - Lots of dark coffee and sweet dark chocolate up front, followed by molasses and oak.

M - Very thick body with moderate carbonation. Almost feels like a chocolate milk or something.

O - Overall, it was a heavy coffee stout , however it isn't overally complex. It's very drinkable for 11.8%. (469 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured into darkness tulip 2-12-12

A: Pours a deep black with a dark khaki colored head that is about 1" deep.

S: Smells like fresh roasted coffee, dark chocolate, a bit of smoke and some booze as well. Don't get much barrel character but that doesn't detract from the nose.

T: This is where the beer falls apart. Tastes of coffee and ashtray. The burnt out cigarette flavor in my mouth is just not appealing to me.

M: Medium bodied with a slight alcohol burn. Smoky/ashy flavor lingers.

O: Loved the smell of this beer but the taste killed it for me. Not enough barrel character and too much harsh coffee flavor for me. Won't seek out again. (647 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.6%

Release #7, bottled 8 September 2012. Tasted 7 December 2012.

Pours dark brown, effectively black in the glass. One finger of medium-dark tan head, good retention, and pretty darn good lacing. Looks tasty.

Smell is big on the coffee, with a chocolate chaser. Smooth, with little evidence of bourbon. I'm liking the coffee, just wishing there was more stout, or more something else in here. I get a touch of whiskey, but like I said (did I say it already?), it's heavy on the coffee.

Taste is decidedly disjunct. Starts out with coffee and a touch of chocolate, then fades, then comes ripping back with hop bitterness and a light bourbon kick. Pretty tasty, thanks to all the good parts that are in there, but they're integrated rather poorly. It's rough, in a way that I don't think would smooth out with time.

Mouthfeel is fine. Body is lighter than I expected; medium-heavy. Medium-low carbonation. Just fine.

A decent stout, but in the middle tier. Definitely more of a coffee stout than a barrel-aged stout. I really wish the components worked together better. (1,069 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Was a little disappointed with this beer. For a barrel aged beer I didn't get any heat from it. Instead the coffee notes where the highlights in this one. mouth feel was a little thin but the carb was right on. Overall the beer was decent and if the label didn't indicate it was aged in a whiskey barrel, I would have gave it a better rating. (342 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Release #20

A-Standard stout color, dark brown to black. Mocha colored head that leaves minimal lacing.

S-Nice fresh coffee aroma with a little bit of vanilla sweetness and hints of dark chocolate.

T-Follows the nose, but the coffee flavor overwhelms everything else. Nice roasted malt profile with notes of dark chocolate and vanilla. A very very faint hint of bourbon.

M-Nice smooth medium body stout. Lower than average carbonation.

O-A bit disappointed in this one. A decent coffee stout, but if it didn't say BBA on the label I wouldn't have know it was. They must have flashed aged it in the barrels. Would try other releases to see if there is any variance, but not this one. (692 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from bomber into tulip glass. Pours dark black with a moderate looking viscosity. The head rises an inch or two then settles after a minute. Smell is inviting at first with a rich dark carmel oaky vanilla followed by a bitter coffee smell mellowed by chocolate. The smell of the very strong coffee doesn't appeal to me. Gives off a dark rich roast almost espresso scent. Unfortunately, I am not much of a coffee drinker so you can say this was a bit dark rich bitter astringent. There is a moderate amount of vanilla oak and warm alochol. There is some carmel malt and roasty malt. Mostly coffee mocha and barrel. Light notes of ash, dark fruit and tree bark. There is a lingering sweetness cleaned up by a moderate bitter hop bite. Mouthfeel is medium body with medium carbonation that is creamy. Probably a better beer for those who really swear by coffee. (865 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.9%

For a barrel-aged imperial stout, it's not as dark as others. it's more of a darker brown than a dark brown or black. Maybe the nibs have something to do with it. There isn't much of a head at all, nor any carbonation. it also doesn't look as viscous, certainly not motor oil-y.

It smells like mildly roasted coffee beans, sweet cream, cocoa powder, vanilla, and pine, all without much of an alcoholic aroma.

Pronounced flavors of coffee and cream, baking chocolate, roasted coffee beans, a little bit of whiskey--but more an oaky vanilla flavor--but, overall, it tastes like a thicker, carbonated, barely spiced or spiked irish coffee with chocolate syrup.

Finishes smoothly, but thins out greatly the warmer it gets. not much of a body, but such as it is, it lends itself to be more palatable. it leaves that nice mouth tingle though.

this is a solid barrel-aged brew at a time when we're being hit with them from all angles. the cocoa nibs are a really nice touch though. some age on this might thicken it some.
cheers (1,027 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

Batch 1 poured from a 22oz bottle into my Stone IRS glass. It poured black in color with a frothy tan head barely covering the top of the beer and clinging to the edges of the glass. Nice lacing as I drank it.

The aroma shows a good amount of roasty, bitter coffee flavors to it. The chocolaty flavors really come out in it as well and mix pretty nicely with the whiskey. Some notes of oak and vanilla smooth it out a little. The coffee is a little dominating, but it's a pretty nice aroma overall.

The taste also has a big roasty and bitter coffee flavor throughout. It's a a little overpowering of the other flavors for me. In the finish I do get some of the dark, bitter-sweet chocolate and whiskey flavors coming out along with just a hint of vanilla.

The mouthfeel is heavy with carbonation being low. Overall it was a pretty decent beer, but the roasty, bitter, coffee was a little overpowering for me. I liked the coffee flavors, it just overshadowed the chocolate and whiskey a little too much for me. A little more balance would have really gone a long way. Pretty decent beer of the style, but not an outstanding one for me. (1,140 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Release #42

A: The pitch black liquid spewed forth into my goblet producing a persistent dark brown head. Streaks of fine bubbles kick up when swirled and slowly slide down the edge. No glimmer of light shines through even on the edges.

S: Moderate dark roasted coffee, dark chocolate not 100% cacao - more like 70% with a little sweetness. Mild caramel with a hint of cherry. No hop aroma, light fruity esters from the ferment.

T: Beautiful, big dark chocolate flavor right from the start - Sweet but in the way a chocolate bar is. Milk chocolate, caramel, vanilla and toffee come through in the middle followed by a blast of coffee to round it out. The bitterness is low to medium with a mild ethenol / wiskey / boozey character. The barrel doesn’t come through at all. Balance is on the sweet malt / chocolate side.

M: Moderate alcohol warming in the chest. Medium carbonation with a medium full mouthfeel. creamy with no astringency.

O: Tons of chocolate and coffee, very dessert like. Put this beer in your mouthhole if you haven’t tried it - it’s a tasty beer for sure just not my thing. Would have liked more barrel and less sweetness. (1,155 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Viscous jet with sepia film.
Pure coffee bean oil nose – fresh but one dimensional.
Molasses and fig up front, a big coffee hit, some umami fish sauce, and a whisky barrel bite.
Soily finish and chocolate-covered espresso bean linger.
Fill, thick, and chewy.

Big on coffee – actual gives a bit of a caffeine buzz. Huge body, too; this could pour over vanilla ice cream. But the chocolate and whiskey are mostly missing under all that java. A monstrous stout that needs to lay. (486 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Release #4; Sampled February 2012
A vigorous pour into my small De Glazen Toren tulip produces a three finger thick, densely bubbled, darkly brown stained head. The beer is a concentrated, almost perfectly black color that shows quiet opaque. As I pour this I get rich notes of dark chocolate and spicy / toasted oak. An actual stop to inspect the nose yields deep, roasted, coffee notes (bright coffee notes actually), a deeply toasted grain character, light vanilla notes, blackened chocolate, cold espresso, some malt ball like notes, and perhaps a hint of oak woodiness and spiciness. The vanilla and and coffee notes, along with the rich dark malt base, makes me think of some sort of vanilla scented, coffee liquor. The oak / whiskey Barrel character is weird here, the spicy, woody oak was definitely quite prominent at the front of my first smell of the aroma, but it is now a lot harder to find and blends in with the ample coffee and toasted malt notes. This really smells a lot more like a coffee dessert drink of some sort than like a beer; the coffee aromatics are just so prominent. I do like that the coffee notes don’t quite get into acrid or sharp territory as the nose is quite smooth

Rich feeling and viscous as it first hits the palate. The beer has a burnt sweetness to it that balances huge roast and coffee flavors, which really come to dominate the long finish of this beer. The bitterness in the finish is huge; some of it is hop derived, but a lot of it is contributed by the roasted malt and coffee notes that just cling to the palate and really dry out the finish. Toasted and even burnt whole grain toast notes are evident, though in truth it is like toast that has been burnt to the point that the fact that it is whole grain almost doesn’t matter. Noticeable vanilla note help to soften the burnt character at the front and through the middle of each sip; other oak flavors of spicy wood actually help to accentuate the almost harsh roasted character and the added astringency in the finish makes the lingering bitterness all that much more piquant. Some Bourbon like flavors contribute to the finish and seem to dry things out a touch more. Some nice, dark chocolate notes are noticeable in the middle after the beer warms up a bit, but it remains dominated by the coffee flavors, followed closely by the roasted notes.

With so much roast character, the sweet malt character could actually be quite a bit bigger here; to be well balanced, either the roasted / burnt notes need to be dialed back or the sweet / residual malt character needs to be increased. Still this is actually quite a tasty brew and I really like how subtle the Whiskey Barrel character is here; it really only plays a supporting role and could almost be overlooked. I am on the verge of getting a cold & this is certainly a good beer to kick off the fact that I am going to be on a self-imposed beer drought for the next week to recover. Despite being aggressively burnt in focus, I am actually enjoying this a fair amount; it could be so much more acrid and harsh than it is & it somehow is escaping that. I really like that this isn’t overly heavy or rich, on the other hand it makes it easier to drink a beer that is 11.1% abv, which isn’t necessarily a good thing either. (3,289 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

Bomber from Belmont Station. Poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours an opaque black with a one-finger tan-colored head. Head seems to dissipate rather quickly, leaving behind some good lacing. Appears to be quite viscous.

S - Coffee, coffee and more coffee. Notes of cocoa float about in the background. I only get marginal hints of oak. It seems that the whiskey barrel aging didn't do much for the aroma.

T - Again, lots of roasted coffee. The roasted malts, cocoa and dark chocolate become more apparent in the taste. The whiskey and oak pop out a little more but still nothing significant.

M - The mouthfeel is nice on this beer. It's full-bodied and creamy without being too viscous. Moderate carbonation. The alcohol is hidden well. The only time I really felt its presence is in the aftertaste.

O - A good imperial stout from a brewery I'm new to. I wish the whiskey/oak/barrel-aging characteristics were a bit more prevalent. The coffee seemed to dominate the other aromas/flavors. (1,012 characters)

Big Bad Baptist from Epic Brewing Company