Big Bad Baptist - Epic Brewing Company

Big Bad BaptistBig Bad Baptist

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.80% ABV

One Big Bad Imperial Stout with Cocoa nibs and Coffee nibs.

http://www.epicbrewing.com/the-bee ... rial-stout

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Bad Baptist Alström Bros

3.16/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a 22oz bomber into the trusty new belgium globe.
Pours a black body with a tan, almost caramel colored head. Good retention, sticks around for a bit and recedes into a 1/4 in layer of creamy goodness. Smells like coffee grounds in the garbage. Getting some rotten vegetables on the nose too, seriously. This smells like a trashcan in a coffee shop. Taste is pretty good, getting the coffee, dark malts, toffee, chocolate, but that damned rotten vegetable composted coffee smell permeates the experience. Mouthfeel is good, consistant with an imperial stout. Overall I feel cheated. I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or what. Flavors were spot on, but the smell was pretty horrible. For now my rating stays, but I want to revist this in hopes it was some sort of terrible mistake...

3.18/5  rDev -26.9%

Got this one from ScottO. Cheers for the trade man!

From a bomber into a snifter
Exponential Series
Release no.22
ABV: 10.2%
Stout with cocoa nibs and coffee added and aged in whisky barrels

APPEARANCE: A clear black pour produces a 1+ finger, medium looking, fluffy tan head with very good retention. Black body with higher levels of carbonation for the style. Head eventually fades to a full film and ring and the carbonation calms quickly as well. A slight wisp and ring remain leaving some dots of lacing down the glass. Pretty good looking.

SMELL: Lots of coffee on the nose. Roasted and burnt coffee beans, espresso, sweet cream, caramel and toffee notes on the nose. Very coffee dominant, with burnt coffee beans and some light notes of sweet cream. Little to no cocoa or whisky barrels. One dimensional and not as advertised, but still a solid imperial coffee stout.

TASTE: Like the nose, lots of burnt coffee up front. Burnt and roasted black coffee beans with light sweet cream notes, then touches of caramel through the swallow. A big and bitter finish with notes of whisky and cocoa under an avalanche of bitter, black coffee beans and burnt espresso. Very roasted with lots of coffee bitterness that pretty much dominate any hints of whisky barrel or cocoa that might be there. Tasty for sure, but not really as advertised.

PALATE: Medium-full body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth with a scratch at the swallow and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Big with more than enough weight. Some bitter coffee lingers. Really good feel.

OVERALL: This is actually a really good coffee stout. As a BA cocoa and coffee stout it is definitely lacking, but as a coffee stout, it's great. The cocoa are way outplayed here and the whisky barrel aging is pretty minimal at best, but it's still really tasty and enjoyable. Take the scores with a grain of salt, as I'm reviewing to the label specification. This is a quality imperial coffee stout, nevertheless. Recommended.

3.2/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Batch 15.

Appearance - Black with a small khaki head. Medium collar.

Smell - A little bit peppery and spicy. Oaky. A little chocolate.

Taste - A little more bourbon. Some spice. Cinnamon. Coffee. Bitter oak.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Kinda thin. Very oaky.

Overall - Not terribly impressed. Very spicy.

3.24/5  rDev -25.5%

3.28/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Release #1.

Pours a viscous liquid that is deep black color. Half inch of head forms and settles quickly to a thin cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Aromas begin with mainly fresh black coffee, lots of darkly roasted espresso beans. This does not change much even as the beer gets close to room temperature. Subtle complementary notes of roasted malt, dark bitter chocolate and the faintest trace of whiskey.

The tastes follow the nose with a straightforward coffee flavor, overtaking all the complementary base beer flavors. A little bit of roasted, burnt bitterness from the malt. Slight hint of dark chocolate. The barrel aging did not impart much flavor, definitely would have liked a lot more and I am not a fan of overly barrel heavy beers, but this needs more. Alcohol is well hidden. Just slightly warming in the finish. Quite unbalanced with the heavy coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and close to perfect carbonation. Finish is dry and mildly bitter from the abundant coffee additions.

Overall, the flavors were way too dominated by one element; the coffee. Little to no barrel flavors, bitter roasty coffee overshaddows everything else here. It is not bad by any means, flavor-wise, but I can go get a cup of Joe for a buck at the convenience store. A coffee bomb of a beer indeed, so if that's your thing, not for me though, and I love coffee.

3.28/5  rDev -24.6%

A - Very dark with just a hint of red around the edges. Creamy medium-dark head that falls slowly.

S - Smells like a coffee roasters place. not like a cup of coffee, but like the actual roast. Hint of chocolate and malts in the mix. After a few moments there is a vanilla and alcohol scent. (I actually did not know this was a whickey barrelled beer until just now)

T - Not as good as the scent. Seems a bit confused. Instead of the coffee, chocolate and barrel ageing mixing, they seem to each be trying to stand on their own. it is like different parts of the mouthful have different flavors.

M - Thin, but leaves a little coating. Mild alcohol tingle in throat. Timgle on sides of tongue.

O - Very close. There is just something about the flavor palate that is odd. it is like this brew is fighting itself.

3.3/5  rDev -24.1%

650ml bottle. Release #3.

Pours a blackish brown with a big tan head that leaves some nice lacing.

Coffee dominates the smell. I am not getting the bourbon and only slight cocoa.

Coffee also dominates the flavor. I feel like the flavors aren't meshing in this one. It just tastes like a coffee stout to the nth degree.

3.35/5  rDev -23%

Never have seen this one around my area, so when I saw a bottle at Peabody's in Boone, I snagged it right up! Once I got home, I found out my local store had some cases in as well. Oh well.

22oz bottle. Batch #8 (Sept. '12 release). Poured into my brand new Hardywood snifter.

This beer just hesitantly glugs out of the bottle. This is an über thick coal black beer. Sits in the glass nicely. A small mocha head rests atop. Great spotty lace left behind, reminding me of what was. The aroma just smacks of fresh coffee. Big roasted coffee bean scent, chocolate powder, some booze quality. Really a nice inviting aroma.

Wonderful creamy feel that just envelopes the palate like a warm blanket. Subtle carbonation never forces itself. Smooth finish. This is one of the heavier beers I've had in quite some time. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. Did I mention the coffee? This is one of the most potent coffee-forward beers I have ever had. This would wake up a dead man. Huge roasted flavors abound. Subtle sweetness of cocoa nibs and chocolate chips. Mild oak-like character gives it s a slight dry aftertaste. The whiskey isn't as prominent as I expected. I had hoped for more of a bourbon kick, but with this batch, there is none. This sort of muddles out at the end, and just finishes with more coffee.

I'm not sure what I think of this. I guess I expected a more balanced barreled beer, but this is a one-trick pony: a straight up coffee beer. I normally like that style, but this just seemed too much overkill. I don't think I'd revisit this batch again. Glad I tried it, but holy crap was this rich.

3.38/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Release #22 (brewed 8/7/13... now I remember that I meant to wait another week for its birthday!) into a snifter at fridge temp, allowed to warm.

Look: thick, dark brown with almost no head and low carbonation.

Smell: not good. There's something that might be coffee, but there's also a very strange vegetal (green bell pepper) note, and a strong harsh chemical/metallic note—it's what I imagine battery acid might smell like. As it warms, chocolate comes through a bit more; I never get more than the faintest hint of barrel.

Taste: coffee, roast, chocolate, with a bite reminiscent of peppers. If I didn't know better, I'd think this had been aged on chiles. I don't like too much spirits presence in barrel-aged stuff, but I'm not getting anything here. Needs more barrel.

Feel: pretty thick mouthfeel, not especially dry, fairly well-carbonated (but fine for the style).

Overall: I had one of these fresh, but didn't take notes; my memory is that I liked it better then. This is okay, but I'd rate it behind something like (the admittedly very solid) Stone Espresso IRS. With more barrel presence and less of those slight off-notes, it could be very good, but as it is, it's merely okay.

3.43/5  rDev -21.1%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/9/12
*From notes

-- Bomber split with my Pops, which is always a pleasure. --

A: Dark, velvety brown. A generous pour yields a dense 1.5 finger head. Creamy, thick lacing follows as the head begins to fall.

S: Really green. Overly so, in fact. It's freshly harvest coffee beans to the max. It's all a bit much for me.

T: Not a whole lot of bourbon here, sadly. Really, when they say "coffee infused", they aren't kidding. Sure, there's some chocolate here, but that green coffee vibe simply can't be shaken. In your face doesn't begin to describe it.

M: Now that's more like it. One of the thicker ADIS's I've encountered the last few weeks. Creamy like heavy whipping cream.

O: Where's the balance here? The coffee is untamed and out of control. I don't think aging will do much good, as there's not enough whiskey booze to keep it in check. Not a bad beer, but there's certainly better and more readily available Imperial Stouts on the market.

3.43/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours out like old motor oil with a fairly brown head about three-fingers, with good retention, and some nice lacing on the cup.

Smell is burnt malts to be sure, some coffee is pretty there, and I really don't get much else from the nose.

Taste is burnt malts, lots of coffee (way more than in the nose), maybe a tiny bit of chocolate but coffee and burnt malts are the prominent things here. Chocolate is WAY in the background and I would not have noticed it except I read nibs on the bottle and tried hard to find them. This is pretty fresh but really not much chocolate at all.

Mouthfeel is semi-thick, not too thick for the style. Not a bad thing but just not thick for what I would expect.

Overall this is an OK beer. I can't taste ANY whisky as this is supposed to be aged in whiskey barrels. Just does not taste like a barrel aged stout. The coffee makes this stout nice and is the highlight here. I always try to drink a coffee stout soon as coffee fades quick and maybe if it was aged more flavor would have came out from it but this is just not anything like a BA Stout. It's not a bad stout by any means but just not anything special that I would buy again. I heard some hype for this and am just not getting it.

3.48/5  rDev -20%

22oz bottle. Pours dark brown black with a smallish light brown head that goes to a thin film and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet fudgy chocolate and a little coffee. Boozy bourbon comes out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet fudgy chocolate with a lot of roast to balance and some slightly acidic roasted coffee. As I drink more, the burnt, ashy, char roast dominates. Some vanilla and bourbon come out too. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and a little watery.

Overall, almost really good, but I end up thinking ashy cigarettes and day old coffee.

Big Bad Baptist from Epic Brewing Company