Big Bad Baptist - Epic Brewing Company

Big Bad BaptistBig Bad Baptist

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.80% ABV

One Big Bad Imperial Stout with Cocoa nibs and Coffee nibs.

http://www.epicbrewing.com/the-bee ... rial-stout

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Bad Baptist Alström Bros
monitorpop

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

01-12-2013 06:20:54 | More by monitorpop
kawilliams81

4.29/5  rDev -1.2%

Batch #10. Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Pipeworks snifter.

A- pours black with a 2 finger dark cola head. Big blotches and trails of lacing remain on the glass.

S- amazing coffee aroma, some roast, faint vanilla and whiskey.

T- some chocolate followed by bitter coffee. Coffee dominates this beer with very little bourbon or whiskey.

M- full body and medium carbonation. Creamy, smooth feel and drinks very well at roughly 12%.

O- very good beer. I wish there was more barrel notes but the coffee in this beer is amazing!

01-12-2013 04:55:22 | More by kawilliams81

westcoastbeerlvr

01-11-2013 17:09:42 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
GeezLynn

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%

A: Straight black, with a medium brown head that is short-lived.
S: Very earthy and roasted, oats are apparent, with light coffee and a hint of whiskey.
T: Starts off with a heavy dark coffee flavor, followed by a light whiskey bite, and finishes with a bitter chocolate covered coffee bean flavor. A little vanilla shows as it approaches room temperature.
M: Thick body with low carbonation. Overall feel is velvety smooth.

BBB was a change of pace from the more common bourbon barrel stouts out there. This is very char-heavy without the bourbon derived cherry/fruit flavors. More of a vanilla/alcohol contribution from the barrel. Coffee addition was mild, but very nice. Enjoyable.

01-11-2013 05:20:28 | More by GeezLynn

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

01-06-2013 04:54:27 | More by Pjmjr22
StoutHunter

4.21/5  rDev -3%

I picked up a bottle of Epic's Big Bad Baptist a couple weeks ago for $11.49 at The Lager Mill. I have never had anything from Epic before but I've been interested in giving them a try ever since their beers started showing up in my area, I was told if I like KBS then I needed to try this beer, so I decided to take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date Batch #10 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bomber into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice and I think the name is pretty funny. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two fingers worth of mocha colored head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma start off with lots of coffee that is very roasted and robust, it imparts a very strong black coffee aroma that seems to dominate this beer. Up next comes some more roasted malt aromas followed by some dark and milk chocolate and a medium amount of sweetness. Towards the end I get a slightly oaky aroma that may have a little bit of whiskey to it but it hardly sticks out. This beer had a good aroma, it almost smelled exactly like an iced black coffee, but I wish the barrel stuck out a little more.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off the same with lots of great coffee flavors that make for a taste that is very similar to an iced coffee. After that comes some roasted malts, chocolate and a medium amount of sweetness. Up next comes the barrel which shows up more when it warms but it's still a little light and imparts some whiskey, oak, and light vanilla flavors. Towards the end comes a medium amount of bitterness that resembles the bitterness you get in black coffee and it had a roasted and very coffee like aftertaste. The alcohol is hidden very well no way does this taste like it's 11.4%. This was a good tasting beer that was very coffee forward, almost too much so, it would be nice if the barrel stuck out more to balance out all that coffee.

M- Pretty smooth, creamy, velvety, full bodied, and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was really good and it fit this beer perfectly, super smooth.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a Imperial Coffee Stout, it had tons of great coffee flavors and it was very smooth, but I think it could have used a little longer in the barrel to balance out all those coffee flavors. This beer had great drinkability, it was very smooth and it did a good job at holding my attention, a bomber seems like the perfect amount for me, I wouldn't want to follow it up with another one. What I liked the most about this beer was the drinkability and the mouthfeel they were both very good and better than I expected. What I liked the least about this beer is that the barrel didn't stick out as much as I would like. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for a big Coffee Stout, but I won't be buying it often, I recommend it to anyone who loves Coffee Stouts. All in all I was happy with this beer but I don't think it's the KBS killer that some people told me it would be, it's pretty good, but the coffee is a little too dominating, it lacks the great balance that makes KBS so awesome. For my first Epic beer this made a pretty good first impression on me and I am down to try many more beers from Epic, good work guys, you got me to pay attention to your brewery.

01-06-2013 04:48:50 | More by StoutHunter

01-01-2013 21:13:39 | More by cfh64
Tee2Grn

01-01-2013 18:50:02 | More by Tee2Grn
Holland

A: jet black, just as a coffee stout should be. Decent sized tan head, low lacing, heavy looking.

S: coffee, coffee, coffee, chocolate, malt.

T: delicious for a coffee stout, but I get little if any of the barrel flavor. Maybe that just blends so well into the beer I don't notice that the vanilla and toffee notes are from the whiskey, or maybe the coffee and stout overpowered the barrel.

M: fairly thick, but still well carbonated enough for my liking.

O: great coffee stout, but I might be missing the barrel on this one. Still very drinkable, something that some people enjoyed who don't care for stouts. Thanks to Mister_Joshy for sending me this one in a trade!

12-31-2012 19:09:10 | More by Holland