Big Bad Baptist - Epic Brewing Company

Big Bad BaptistBig Bad Baptist

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.80% ABV

One Big Bad Imperial Stout with Cocoa nibs and Coffee nibs.

http://www.epicbrewing.com/the-bee ... rial-stout

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Bad Baptist Alström Bros

Shared by Lunch the other day thanks! He told me it was described to him as a "poor man's KBS" but since this is slightly more expensive than KBS and not as good, I didn't understand why anyone would say that.

Beer is black with a thin tan head, low retention, some lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is nice, coffee, sweet, a little chocolate, mild vanilla, no oak or bourbon.

I wouldn't have guessed this was a bourbon stout. I still don't really think so. This is a coffee stout to me, the coffee bitterness is there, the flavors are mostly sweetness up front, malt and a nice coffee finish. I liked it but probably won't have it again.

drabmuh, Mar 20, 2012
3.43/5  rDev -21%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/9/12
*From notes

-- Bomber split with my Pops, which is always a pleasure. --

A: Dark, velvety brown. A generous pour yields a dense 1.5 finger head. Creamy, thick lacing follows as the head begins to fall.

S: Really green. Overly so, in fact. It's freshly harvest coffee beans to the max. It's all a bit much for me.

T: Not a whole lot of bourbon here, sadly. Really, when they say "coffee infused", they aren't kidding. Sure, there's some chocolate here, but that green coffee vibe simply can't be shaken. In your face doesn't begin to describe it.

M: Now that's more like it. One of the thicker ADIS's I've encountered the last few weeks. Creamy like heavy whipping cream.

O: Where's the balance here? The coffee is untamed and out of control. I don't think aging will do much good, as there's not enough whiskey booze to keep it in check. Not a bad beer, but there's certainly better and more readily available Imperial Stouts on the market.

Rhettroactive, Mar 19, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Sparrow, Mar 18, 2012

nas4atu, Mar 18, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +3.2%

22oz bottle.

Pours dark mahogany out of the bottle but settles in close to black in the glass with a modest but thick tan head.

Man does this smell good, at least for a coffee lover like me. It's full of freshly roasted coffee beans. Some bitter chocolate and heavily roasted malts underneath, but the coffee is dominant in the nose.

Taste is like a big iced mocha. The chocolate is subtle in the nose but not in the taste where the chocolate is right up there with the roasted coffee. Roasted malts and some lactose creaminess. Wonderful taste.

The mouthfeel is much thicker and creamier than I was expecting from the pour. It's right up there with the big boys in terms of feel.

I'm reviewing this beer as a coffee lover and, because of that, it's an outstanding beer. One of the better coffee impy stouts I've had. Even if you're not a coffee fan, you should try this, but if you like coffee stouts, get this. Now.

gford217, Mar 16, 2012

Shmantha, Mar 15, 2012

DCgolfpro, Mar 15, 2012

baerb69, Mar 15, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

This beer poors pitch black with a mellow, brown cocoa head. Smells like a delicous mocha coffee. Vanilla and bourbon are noticeable secondary notes.
On the first sip, Big Baptist coats the tongue with a well balanced mix of cocoa and coffee. The coffee blend tastes like a quality brand was used, very robust and quasi espresso flavors come through. The chocolate was dark, sweet, and bitter. This made me happy, as I prefer dark chocolate versus super sweet in my beers. Vanilla, bourbon, and oak are present throughout, but become more pronounced on the back end of the palate. The mouthfeel is viscous, yet pleasantly light enough. Baptist drinks smooth and easy. I actually wanted more after I finished my bomber. Overall, this was an impressive beer that I rank right up there with The Abyss, but slightly below Goose Island BCBS. I can't compare it to KBS, as the only one I was able to procure mysteriously disappeared a year ago from my fridge. Yes, I'm still crying about that. Baptist fills a niche that I'm fond of; a beer you want when you can't tackle a bigger BCBS type brew. My first beer from Epic and it will not be my last. Very nicely done.

johnnybgood1999, Mar 13, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

On tap at The Surly Goat in West Hollywood, CA.

Pours an opaque black with a dark khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Thin streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is absolutely fantastic with dark roasted malt, cocoa powder, and huge coffee bean and coffee ground aromas. Taste is of dark roasted malt and a flavor very similar to tiramisu that has been dusted with cocoa powder and coffee grounds. There is a nice roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a medium body. Overall, this is a good stout with an outstanding aroma but the taste just doesn't match up.

UCLABrewN84, Mar 09, 2012

beerFool28607, Mar 08, 2012

rogueleonardi, Mar 07, 2012
4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to drgonzo3705 for this one. Batch 4, bottled in Jan 2012.

Appearance: Pretty standard black bodied RIS appearance here, pouring with a couple fingers of leather-hued foam that settles to a thin film. Looks solid.

Smell: Not terribly subtle but thoroughly enjoyable coffee and cocoa up front. Gentle roastiness is noticed beneath, along with some molasses sweetness. Little bit of barrel peeks through, lending vanilla and faint alcohol.

Taste & mouthfeel: Coffee, cocoa and vanilla, in that order. The coffee used has a robust earthy, spicy note that's pretty nice. Pleasantly roasty malt backbone without any burnt qualities. The body is a solid medium-full, never approaching syrupy, and sweetness likewise is pretty reigned-in for an 11%er. Subtle bourbon barrel flavors here, I'm guessing this didn't spend much time in the barrel. The finish is long but mellow, very coffee-forward.

Overall: This stuff is pretty legit, I'm very surprised. It isn't quite in the same league as beers like BCBCS and KBS, but it isn't too far off.

largadeer, Mar 07, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Opaque black pour with no light filtering through at all. Dark khaki head, 1 fingers worth. Only downside is the beer is light on head retention. Thin sheen of wet lace all around the glass.

Nose is very complex. Coffee overwhelms, but cocoa comes through along with oak underneath that. Smells like a roasted chocolate covered espresso bean.

Strong coffee flavor, espresso even, with a strong roast chocolate presence. Citrus hops manage to sneak through all the coffee and chocolate bitters in the finish. Definite smoked oak flavor from the barrels. Not really picking up the whiskey until the very end of the bottle. Vanilla starts to pick up late in the bottle, too. Wow, this is complex.

Feel is a bit disappointing. A little on the thin side. For a beer this powerful on the tongue, a thicker feel would pair better.

Overall, this rivals the best coffee stouts I've tasted. The best beer I've had from Epic.

beer2day, Mar 07, 2012

Lynn, Mar 05, 2012

KnightRider, Mar 05, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Amazed by this beer, pitch black pour into my Stone R.I.S. chalice, absolutely absorbed all the light in my glass. Big thicket of khaki tan head forms fine even bands of lacing between sips. A perfect breakfast beer, hair of the dog, basically smells and tastes like a coffee bomb with dark bitter chocolate and oak barrel aging effects smoothing things out a good bit. Espresso notes creamy vanilla and charred oak, this was one big complex Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout that I enjoyed immensely. Body wasn't cloying full to the max with flavor and texture, evenly carbonated...excellent offering. Overall I'm in love and I need to find more I only had one bottle and I need more of this nectar. I've officially been baptized!

WVbeergeek, Mar 04, 2012

CoryR, Mar 03, 2012

bdake, Mar 03, 2012

tclapper, Mar 02, 2012

emaciated, Feb 29, 2012

gregmoscetti, Feb 28, 2012

fehrminator, Feb 28, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Serving type: 22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

A: Pours an opaque black with thin tan head.

S: Very forward coffee aroma with hints of syrup and chocolate. Initial scent reminded me of walking into a coffee shop.

T/M: Very intense coffee taste with hints of cocoa and smokiness. Slightly syrupy mouthfeel, but the beer is in no way cloyingly sweet. The bitter coffee taste cuts the sweetness and masks the alcohol excellently.

O: Wow! This beer has some intense coffee flavor. Reminded me of biting into a chocolate-covered coffee bean. I would have enjoyed a bit more smokey bourbon flavor, but on the whole this is a fantastic imperial stout. Great after a hearty dinner of steak or ribs.

HoposaurusRex, Feb 26, 2012