Big Bad Baptist - Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.80% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

It’s Big, it’s Bad, Whiskey &/or Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

http://www.epicbrewing.com/the-bee ... rial-stout

ABV varies by batch
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Bad Baptist Alström Bros
Reviews: 450 | Hads: 3,021
4.22/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great lasting foamy head rises caramel colored and dense. Nice head retention too. Missing a touch of lacing...

Whoa. Let me preface: I despise Hazelnut, but the hazelnut in this brew is done wonderfully. Roasty, bready, tons of coffee, ripe, chocolately, deep, dark and bold. For being full of hazelnut, it's done very well.

A great amount of carbonation, prickly. Harsh initial bite followed by flowing flavors of roasty hazelnut coffee. Bitterness is high and goes very appreciated. Sweetness is that of 80% dark chocolate.

A total mind bender. It's hazelnutty, but doesn't taste or drink hazelnutty. Way recommended @ $13/22oz. IMO, this is one beer best drank cold. One of Epics best beers for sure. Cheers! (717 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Release #1 enjoyed with rjochman

A: Pours out of the bottle black and rests in the glass pretty viscous. A big brown head raises up, but recedes quickly. Not a ton of lacing or carbonation that I can see. Wish the head stuck around a bit longer.

S: The aroma on this is really impressive. The amount of coffee and chocolate really blows me away, but the whiskey is really underneath, and understated. While the aroma on this is quite bold the balance is there, which equally as impressive.

T: I've had stouts with coffee in it before, but wow this is a new experience. The aftertaste is exactly the same as when I take a sip of actual coffee. Really blown away about just how much this tastes like coffee. Up front is chocolate, vanilla, and a bit of whiskey. After a brief second, this becomes all about the coffee.

MF: Low carbonation, thick body, and pretty damn drinkable. The finish is so dry. I just can't stop taking sips the taste is so interesting.

O: I thought this was a hit, really glad I tried it. At $12.99 I thought this was definitely worth it. Interested to see how the other releases stack up.

Release #3

A: Just as deep and dark as Release #1 with a better head retention. Nice brown head, with minimal lacing.

S: The smell is a little less balanced. Tons of coffee, but less chocolate and certainly no whiskey at all. Let's see what happens with the taste.

T: The taste is a little better, but still after a few releases I was hoping this would have improved. Ton of coffee, the aftertaste is still similar to drinking an actual cup of coffee, but the chocolate is a bit thin, less vanilla, and again no whiskey.

MF: Not quite as thick. Perhaps this would benefit from some age as Release #1 was clearly better.

O: At $11.99 I think this is definitely still worth it. Expected more, but I still definitely enjoyed it. Wish the barrel aging was a bit more present.

Release #4

A: Black pour with a couple fingers of brown head. The retention and lacing are both wonderful. This is a great looking beer. 4.5

S: Amazingly the smell is all coffee. Can't believe how deep and dark this beer is and for it to be all coffee. The bourbon and oak lie underneath with a strong chocolate character. Great balance, but coffee focused. 4.5

T: Like the aroma, the coffee dominates the taste. A bit too much for me honestly. Bourbon hangs out, making its presence known as the beer warms, but the chocolate and barrel characteristics are secondary to the coffee. I think this needs a few months to balance out. The other dimensions are there. Just not strong enough. 3.5

MF: The body is full and the carbonation is a bit high as well. Big Bad Baptist is crazy drinkable and sports a dry finish. This is a great beer. 4

O: Overall, I wish the coffee was stepped back a bit and the bourbon was more prominent. This beer is top notch, but I'm thinking it needs some age to make all the flavors come together. Not my favorite of the releases, but I would never turn it down. 4 (2,994 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is batch #13. Bought this at Vintage Estate a few months ago. One of the first BA stouts I ever had. Perhaps even the first. That was almost a year ago. Regardless, it's time for a review.

A- Poured from a 22 oz bottle. Split with my good friend Eddy. Half a finger of a tan head. Darkey-dark. Not the darkest beer I've had. But there's hardly any light getting through on the edges. Pretty good lacing for a BA stout.

S- So much coffee. Without a doubt, coffee dominates the nose. Faint woodiness. Slight bourbon character, but not much. This is a coffee bomb, and I'm okay with it. Roasty character certainly comes through. I want more barrel.

T- So much more smooth than I expected. Wood from the barrel levels it out. Faint bourbon. This one is dominated by coffee, roast, and dark chocolate, which washes everything down. 12.2%?! I would have never guessed. Again, more barrel, would do this beer a favor. I remember this beer having much more bourbon influence the first time I had it.

M- Not the most viscous BA stout I've had. But its cery clearly of the IS variety. Higher end of low carbonation. Slight alcohol warmth. Real nice.

O- Damn good beer. I wish this had as much barrel character as the earlier batch that I remember having. Still, this is a really enjoyable beer, with EXCELLENT coffee and roast character, which is what I love. Would come back to this beer, time and time again. (1,411 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

22oz bottle into a tulip glass. This is from batch # 3.

Pours pitch black in the glass, with a finger of rich milk chocolate colored head. This retains with a strong ½ finger of froth, throwing up a robust cascade that quickly descends down and drenches the sides of the glass with spotty foam. The aroma smells robust to say the least, with notes of coffee and cocoa just erupting in the nose before giving way to flavors of vanilla, coconut, and more chocolate (which only picks up steam as this warms). The bourbon barrel rides along on the edges of this with some warmth but I have to say, that’s it’s the coffee here that really controls the nose overall.

The taste is quite rich up front, with a delicious mélange of chocolate, coffee, and vanilla, which runs into a wall of barrel character across the back that gives this some intenseness and finishes this dry, burnt, and warm. I think that decadent mix of flavors being up front helps, as it spreads out over the profile and aids in smoothing the rougher edges of this out. The mouthfeel is full bodied, with a nice chewy creaminess in the mouth that prickles the tongue a bit as well. The ABV itself is pretty well hid itself except for adding a little extra sweetness to this, with the bourbon here mostly giving this any burn that it has.

I’m usually more of a fan of balance in barrel-aged beers and this beer doesn’t excel at that, with coffee dominating in some areas, sweetness in others, and then bourbon yet again in other areas, but this just worked for me. Maybe it’s because each facet of this didn’t overly crowd the others but I found this to be a quite a pleasant sipper with a killer hidden ABV for 11%. Definitely pick this up though if you like coffee beers, as it is very well done in this. (1,789 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Epic's Big Bad Baptist a couple weeks ago for $11.49 at The Lager Mill. I have never had anything from Epic before but I've been interested in giving them a try ever since their beers started showing up in my area, I was told if I like KBS then I needed to try this beer, so I decided to take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date Batch #10 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bomber into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice and I think the name is pretty funny. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two fingers worth of mocha colored head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma start off with lots of coffee that is very roasted and robust, it imparts a very strong black coffee aroma that seems to dominate this beer. Up next comes some more roasted malt aromas followed by some dark and milk chocolate and a medium amount of sweetness. Towards the end I get a slightly oaky aroma that may have a little bit of whiskey to it but it hardly sticks out. This beer had a good aroma, it almost smelled exactly like an iced black coffee, but I wish the barrel stuck out a little more.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off the same with lots of great coffee flavors that make for a taste that is very similar to an iced coffee. After that comes some roasted malts, chocolate and a medium amount of sweetness. Up next comes the barrel which shows up more when it warms but it's still a little light and imparts some whiskey, oak, and light vanilla flavors. Towards the end comes a medium amount of bitterness that resembles the bitterness you get in black coffee and it had a roasted and very coffee like aftertaste. The alcohol is hidden very well no way does this taste like it's 11.4%. This was a good tasting beer that was very coffee forward, almost too much so, it would be nice if the barrel stuck out more to balance out all that coffee.

M- Pretty smooth, creamy, velvety, full bodied, and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was really good and it fit this beer perfectly, super smooth.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a Imperial Coffee Stout, it had tons of great coffee flavors and it was very smooth, but I think it could have used a little longer in the barrel to balance out all those coffee flavors. This beer had great drinkability, it was very smooth and it did a good job at holding my attention, a bomber seems like the perfect amount for me, I wouldn't want to follow it up with another one. What I liked the most about this beer was the drinkability and the mouthfeel they were both very good and better than I expected. What I liked the least about this beer is that the barrel didn't stick out as much as I would like. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for a big Coffee Stout, but I won't be buying it often, I recommend it to anyone who loves Coffee Stouts. All in all I was happy with this beer but I don't think it's the KBS killer that some people told me it would be, it's pretty good, but the coffee is a little too dominating, it lacks the great balance that makes KBS so awesome. For my first Epic beer this made a pretty good first impression on me and I am down to try many more beers from Epic, good work guys, you got me to pay attention to your brewery. (3,507 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured very dark black, slight fine bubble amberish head.

The nose is mostly dark roasted coffee. Some dark malts. Fairly simple. No barrel.

The taste mostly follows suit of the nose but a little more complex. Sone bourbon/oak/malts.

The feel is the best part. Very smooth and creamy. High carbonation. Thin.

This beer underwhelmed me. I would have liked more bourbon to go with the excellent coffee notes. This could be epic with some more time in the barrel. (466 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Got to try this at Choice City Butcher in Fort Collins. A remarkable beer. It pours black/brown with slight copper tinge and minimal (brown/red) head. The most impressive feature is the cocoa-nibs. In fact, I was told by bartender that he's seen chunks of cocoa-nib floating in this beer (...didn't get to witness that myself).
The taste is a cocoa/coffee mixture, tilted toward the former.
Medium-to-heavy body. No alcohol burn, but it is robust .... Take your time because it warms nicely. (494 characters)

Served in a tumbler.

Thanks to my man Ryan for sharing this bottle!

Batch #9. Just jumpin' right on in: This stuff pours a deep black-brown topped by a finger of dark khaki foam. The nose comprises coffee, roasted malts, light dark chocolate powder, and the faintest hint of whiskey. The taste brings in more of the same, with the coffee taking control once everything else runs its respective course. I've heard other batches have been more whiskey-forward or whatnot, but this batch is decidedly coffee-heavy. This doesn't really detract all that much, as everything is delightfully balanced and expressive; I'm just sayin'. The body is a stolid medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a generally smooth feel, and a slightly dry finish. Overall, a very nice impy stout, one that shows what moderation can do for a barrel-aged beer. Good times, indeed. (859 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Release 2, poured into a Bruery tulip. This release was brewed with coffee and cocoa nibs and hopped with nugget, chinook and cascade.

Black and thick as ink, topped with half a finger of cinnamon-colored head composed of big, wet bubbles that pop away quickly, leaving a medium-sized ring.

Coffee! Great handfuls of heavily roasted beans in the nose, balanced by sweet dark chocolate hints of vanilla an oak, and the lightest touch of bourbon.

The flavor’s equally coffee-laden, but there’s a little more bourbon and oak here. Big Dark chocolate flavor as well. Basically, everything from the nose, but more intense. Fantastic.

Silky medium body, like hot chocolate. Light, massaging carbonation; mild bitterness; just a hint of boozy heat in the nose.

A surprising delight. Big Bad Baptist displays huge coffee stout flavors with a masterful touch of bourbon. Very, very good. (890 characters)

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Pure jet black, with a very thin head that disappears in a flash.
S: Very, very strong coffee/espresso. I'm not picking up much else the coffee is so strong, but it smells like a mighty nice cup of java.
T: Tons of coffee again, along with a bit of caramel and a slight hops kick at the end. You almost question if at the end of a 11.7% bottle that tastes like this whether you'll be feeling more alcohol or caffeine. A bit one-dimensional, but I like coffee so this tastes mighty fine, and the alcohol is well hidden. Bitter coffee finish.
M: Full-bodied and rich.
O: I honestly could confuse this with a cold Irish espresso. If you don't like coffee I wouldn't recommend this, but I certainly enjoy it. (744 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Nose: Coffee roast, milk chocolate, chocolate cake, slight whiskey, a touch of oak.

Taste: Prominent coffee, bittersweet chocolate with a slight sweetness, char, oak, whiskey.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, slight carbonation, a touch of heat, but hardly any booze burn.

Overall: Feels like a cross between FBS and KBS. Delicious, must revisit this one soon. (354 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The look is luscious.
The smell is rich and sexy.
The taste is desirable.
The feel is warm, thick, and substantial.
Overall, she is someone you would probably lust for. (168 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter. Writing this review from notes, can't remember which batch it was, I think it was 4.

A: Thick dark brown/black pour. Big mocha colored head that dissipated after a few minutes.
S: Tons of coffee and roastiness. Lots of wood notes followed by bitter chocolate.
T: This is boozy. Lots of chocolate and coffee. Lots of whiskey (peaty flavor) in there as well. Very woody flavor with lots of roasty bitterness. The roastiness was taken too far in my opinion.
M: Silky smooth. Very rich and thick with moderate carbonation.
O: This is a great beer. The roastiness was a bit much but it was still very enjoyable. I would much prefer it without the peat flavors, there should be a bourbon-only version someday. (745 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Epic Big Bad Baptist

Look 9/10
Smell 19/20
Taste 34/40
Feel 8/10
Drinkability 17/20

Overall 87/100

Big, huge rich stout. Massive coffee over powers and leaves very little Bourbon to shine through. I was really excited about this and was craving a big BA stout on a cold
Winter night, instead I got waves of the classic 'coffee on the burner for too long' then got cold.In fairness, this was an issue with the batch I received (#25) It is exceptionally drinkable at 11.8% would like to try again, it tastes like it didn't stay in the barrel long at all~ (640 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Batch #7
Cold snow and rain April night. Seems like a good time.
First whiffs are of heavy coffee and deep dark malt. The barrel aging lends a creamy quality to the aroma as part of the vanilla. The whiskey aroma is mostly background. Hints of the chocolate bits in the periphery.
Pretty much all black. Small dark head that settles to a smear but still leaves a little lacing after the drink. Dark red/brown highlights.
Still fresh enough to be sharp. Big, rather thick and chewy. Small sips fill the mouth with flavor with great endurance. Some heat. Has the complexity of the dark malts, some of the whiskey, some vanilla, bits of chocolate. Warmth pretty darn quickly in the gut. Heavy smooth. The dark malts push to the point too heavy (near burnt- could be the coffee addition). Rather fine carbonation. Aftertaste is strong on coffee with a ground like experience.
This is good. I'm not in love with it. Not sure why, but it's not inspiring a strong reaction. Interesting and well done. (994 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm happy that Epic moved down the street from me in Denver, and now this beauty is much easier to find, and less expensive and rare as before.

A: Jet black, with some tan, thick head that lasts. Looks like hot cocoa in a glass.

S: My nose is admittedly stuffed up, so I may have to revise this next time. However, I can pick up roast and some chocolate, with some malt as well.

T: What in intense and complex flavor! I get roast and bitterness up front, with plenty of whiskey- barrel character, and the coffee at the very end. There is plenty of sweetness and maltiness here as well. The flavor blasts your taste buds and there is a lot going on here. There is plenty of balance despite all of the flavors, and the coffee at the end is awesome. Very well done. There is a good amount of booziness, but the alcohol doesn't overwhelm or become too much to handle. Def. a sipper.

M: Thick, chewy, viscous. Just how and imperial stout should be. The thick sugary liquid coats your tongue and lasts a good long time.

O: I really enjoy the monstrous nature of the beer, and enjoy how complex and well balanced it is overall. Despite all that is going on, the beer is smooth for such beast, and really enjoyable. This is definitely a stout worth seeking out, and its cool that it varies slightly each edition. (1,312 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very dark brown, if not black, in color. Fully opaque. Forms a modest, creamy, mocha colored head. Decent retention. Little lacing. Aroma is quite pleasant. Lots of deeply roasted malts, cocoa, burnt coffee beans, and a hint of char. Tastes starts off with a mild sweetness. Again, there are the roasted malts, along with chocolate, coffee, and a bitter-sweetness. Maybe a touch of blackstrap molasses. There is a smooth alcoholic quality on the backend. However, there is very little to suggest bourbon barrel. Full bodied. Lower carbonation. Slightly chalky. Bitterness comes more from the heavily roasted malts than hops.
A very nice beer. One of the better Imperial Stouts I've come across recently. (704 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle into a snifter
Vintage: confused, it says release #10, but it also says with cocoa nibs and 11.4% ABV (based on ABV would make it release #15)

Thanks to fatbeats18 for sending this one over in a trade!

A: Opaque pitch black, just under 1 fingers width of mocha colored head. Head dissipates down quickly and leaves a few small patches of lacing.

S: Tons of coffee, an almost bitter astringent black coffee character. More subtle roasted malt and chocolate characters. Barrel notes arent very prominent but there are some faint whiskey notes. Coffee is by far the most prominent character.

T: Black coffee and roasted malt. Whiskey barrel characters are more prominent than in the aroma, but black coffee still dominates. I also get cream and oak.

M/D: Full bodied, pretty smooth, appropriate carbonation, a bit of a bite from the coffee, ABV very well masked, drinkability is average.

O: This is a nice coffee IS, nothing spectacular though. Pretty one dimensional with the huge coffee notes, and barrel characters arent nearly as noticeable as I had hoped. Solid beer but I expected more. (1,112 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a top-notch barrel-aged stout without the hype of higher profile beers but it can definitely hang with them in terms of overall quality, complexity and drinkability, at least in my book. It's also my clear favorite from this brewery, whose beers don't always fall to far up my alley.

BBB pours a rich black color with a sizable tan head that has excellent retention and strong lacing. Appearance for the style is top notch. Big aromas of chocolate, bitter and sweet, roasted malt notes, vanilla, lots of whiskey.

The flavor blends all the expected notes extremely well; bitter and milk chocolate, roasty, slightly charred malts, espresso, vanilla, anise, whiskey and oak are perfectly integrated and nothing overwhelms anything else. Has a nice barrel presence but it's not overly assertive. Nice sweetness but isn't cloying either.

Full-bodied, medium carbonation, smooth, sticky, and creamy feel. Right on once again.

I have no complaints with this beer. It's big but not over-the-top, looks the part, has great balance, and has the requisite heft to carry all of its complex elements. Highly recommended for fans of this style. (1,142 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle is labelled Release #2 - 11.3% ABV.

A: Pours pitch black with a big, dense mocha-colored head. Fades nice and slowly - excellent retention. Thick, almost solid wall of lacing left behind.

S: Whoa, big strong roasted coffee beans. A bit of dark chocolate mixed in as well. No noticeable effect from the barrels, mainly due to the coffee being so strong I think.

T: Touch of whiskey influence up front. Very mild. Hints of caramel and toffee and chocolate. Then the coffee bomb hits. Like drinking ground up coffee beans. Strong and bitter with just enough dark chocolate to try to balance it a little and give it more of a mocha flavor. Creamy towards the finish with a little sweeter chocolate here and some drying oak. Oak and residual coffee bean lingers between sips.

M: Heavy, thick, viscous. So smooth and creamy.

O: Big time coffee bomb stout. A must-have for the coffee lover. I don't even like coffee but the coffee flavor and aroma in this is very rich, fresh and delicious. Not much influence from the whiskey barrels, I think that really could have made this beer incredible. It's quite good regardless, big sharp and strong flavors. I enjoyed it a lot. (1,177 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Release #7, 11.0% ABV.

I wasn't really planning to review this beer. I just wanted to open in and drink it. But then I smelled it, and knew I would have to review it. So here goes.

A standard pour into a tulip produces a pitch-black liquid and an ethereal, dark tan foam. The head is not aggressive, and it dissipates fairly soon, leaving little lacing. The beer itself is as dark as any I have seen. It's not quite as viscous as some, but it's espresso black.

Coffee is evident to my nose. But chocolate is the dominant smell. And I don't mean it smells like a typical chocolate stout. To me, it smells like one of those chocolates that are 75% or 85% cocoa. The label says it spent time in whiskey barrels, but I would never have guessed.

It tastes like it smells. A hint of coffee, but huge, high cocoa chocolate notes. No oak, no whiskey. And hey -- it's none the worse off for lack of whiskey notes. I sometimes think brewers try to cram too many flavors into a bottle. This one is complex enough as-is.

Mouthfeel is a little thin for such a big beer. Alcohol is well-masked. This one is really easy to drink. It's my favorite beer from Epic so far. (1,159 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -2.6%

Had on tap at Cabo Taco Baja Grill in La Mirada.

Poured a deep dark brown which was almost black with a thin tan head that left delicate lacing on the glass. Small bubbles slowly rising from the bottom.

Smell is mostly roasted coffee with some vanilla and bitter chocolate notes. Alcohol soaked raisins. Smells like a good time.

Taste is a super smooth blend of bitter coffee and barrel flavors of booze and oak.

Mouthfeel is slightly thin. That was my only let down. Overall this was a great beer and I'll probably pick up a bottle soon down the line. (556 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Perfectly pleasant coffee and cacao beer, and anyone who loves the aforementioned two elements will definitely like this beer. Points off, however, because the bourbon barrel really does NOT come through here, which is really disappointing. Some creamy vanilla from the barrel treatment would really have raised this beer to another level. (339 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%

On-tap at Beachwood I,

A: Pours black with a firm creamy dark tan head, good retention, nice lace.

S: Like sticking my nose in a coffee machine, big heavenly coffee bean aroma, some secondary dark chocolate.

T: Coffee and chocolate dominated the first half. The second half gets quite hoppy and grassy, it reminded me of ST Creme Brulee in this aspect, hops when you'd never expect it. Big, full flavour.

M: Full-bodied, though it does feel a bit thinner at the finish than I'd like. Creamy, with a soft carbonation.

O: An interesting tasty beer for sure, like Peche Mortel meets Yeti. The bomber price is a bit out there, but a pour on-tap was a good deal methinks. (671 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Release 17, 12% abv

A- A vigorous pour yields a vary dark brown body with a brow head that lingers slightly.

S- alcohol, coffee, dark malts, biter sweet chocolate.

T- boozy,strong coffee, slight chocolate, no whiskey. I had to double check the fact that it was barrel aged.

M- good but a bit thinner and slightly more carbonation than desired.

O- a great coffee stout. I would pick up other releases to compare. (419 characters)

Big Bad Baptist from Epic Brewing Company