Microbrew Invitational

Big Bad BaptistBig Bad Baptist

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

It’s Big, it’s Bad, Whiskey &/or Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

http://www.epicbrewing.com/the-bee ... rial-stout

ABV varies by batch

Added by JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

Reviews: 556 | Ratings: 3,425
3.72/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Release #4; Sampled February 2012
A vigorous pour into my small De Glazen Toren tulip produces a three finger thick, densely bubbled, darkly brown stained head. The beer is a concentrated, almost perfectly black color that shows quiet opaque. As I pour this I get rich notes of dark chocolate and spicy / toasted oak. An actual stop to inspect the nose yields deep, roasted, coffee notes (bright coffee notes actually), a deeply toasted grain character, light vanilla notes, blackened chocolate, cold espresso, some malt ball like notes, and perhaps a hint of oak woodiness and spiciness. The vanilla and and coffee notes, along with the rich dark malt base, makes me think of some sort of vanilla scented, coffee liquor. The oak / whiskey Barrel character is weird here, the spicy, woody oak was definitely quite prominent at the front of my first smell of the aroma, but it is now a lot harder to find and blends in with the ample coffee and toasted malt notes. This really smells a lot more like a coffee dessert drink of some sort than like a beer; the coffee aromatics are just so prominent. I do like that the coffee notes don’t quite get into acrid or sharp territory as the nose is quite smooth

Rich feeling and viscous as it first hits the palate. The beer has a burnt sweetness to it that balances huge roast and coffee flavors, which really come to dominate the long finish of this beer. The bitterness in the finish is huge; some of it is hop derived, but a lot of it is contributed by the roasted malt and coffee notes that just cling to the palate and really dry out the finish. Toasted and even burnt whole grain toast notes are evident, though in truth it is like toast that has been burnt to the point that the fact that it is whole grain almost doesn’t matter. Noticeable vanilla note help to soften the burnt character at the front and through the middle of each sip; other oak flavors of spicy wood actually help to accentuate the almost harsh roasted character and the added astringency in the finish makes the lingering bitterness all that much more piquant. Some Bourbon like flavors contribute to the finish and seem to dry things out a touch more. Some nice, dark chocolate notes are noticeable in the middle after the beer warms up a bit, but it remains dominated by the coffee flavors, followed closely by the roasted notes.

With so much roast character, the sweet malt character could actually be quite a bit bigger here; to be well balanced, either the roasted / burnt notes need to be dialed back or the sweet / residual malt character needs to be increased. Still this is actually quite a tasty brew and I really like how subtle the Whiskey Barrel character is here; it really only plays a supporting role and could almost be overlooked. I am on the verge of getting a cold & this is certainly a good beer to kick off the fact that I am going to be on a self-imposed beer drought for the next week to recover. Despite being aggressively burnt in focus, I am actually enjoying this a fair amount; it could be so much more acrid and harsh than it is & it somehow is escaping that. I really like that this isn’t overly heavy or rich, on the other hand it makes it easier to drink a beer that is 11.1% abv, which isn’t necessarily a good thing either.

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Bomber from Belmont Station. Poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours an opaque black with a one-finger tan-colored head. Head seems to dissipate rather quickly, leaving behind some good lacing. Appears to be quite viscous.

S - Coffee, coffee and more coffee. Notes of cocoa float about in the background. I only get marginal hints of oak. It seems that the whiskey barrel aging didn't do much for the aroma.

T - Again, lots of roasted coffee. The roasted malts, cocoa and dark chocolate become more apparent in the taste. The whiskey and oak pop out a little more but still nothing significant.

M - The mouthfeel is nice on this beer. It's full-bodied and creamy without being too viscous. Moderate carbonation. The alcohol is hidden well. The only time I really felt its presence is in the aftertaste.

O - A good imperial stout from a brewery I'm new to. I wish the whiskey/oak/barrel-aging characteristics were a bit more prevalent. The coffee seemed to dominate the other aromas/flavors.

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm going to preface that I got this recently and it was not at all what I expected. I really didn't care for this and it could have totally been just my bottle or this batch so you might not want to take this review to be the decider.

A - Pours very dark brown and settles into a clear black color. Good light brown colored head with good lacing. Looks appetizing

S - The aroma I get is a big caramel, burnt sugar smell. I almost thought it was chemical in the magnitude of aromatics. I couldn't quite place it initially but it was very familiar and I had to have my wife smell to properly place it. I could just be a mix of vanilla, bourbon, and the sweeter notes but I really didn't care for it dominating my nose.

T - Again that chemical burnt caramel is there but not as strong and there are some good flavors with it. The secondary flavors are the dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, vanilla, and sweet malt. It has some subtle complexities with some acrid bitterness to let you know it is a stout and not a sweeter porter. On the finish you can sense the caramel hitting the olfactory again making me almost cringe.

M - Full mouth-feel. Light carbonation. The flavors and feel are good if it wasn't for the backlash from the burnt caramel.

Overall, this is a different imperial stout. I've never smelled an aroma quite like that in a beer and I would not want it again. The flavor was solid which leads me to believe that something went wrong either in this bottle or maybe just the batch since there is some variability from batch to batch. I would try this one again but I think I'll give it a year and try another review then.

Glass- Snifter

3.74/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Batch #22 10.2% alcohol. No info online about this batch.

Appearance- Semi aggressive pour leaves a 2 finger mocha head that sticks around quite a while. Thick bands of lacing wrap the glass. Pitch black like you'd expect.

Smell- Roasted burnt coffee, more coffee and chocolate. The slightest hint of bourbon. Gonna be honest this comes up short on the smell side big time.

Taste- Again, this is more of a coffee stout than ever bourbon. If you served this beer to me without prefacing it as a bourbon barrel stout I'd have no idea honestly. Overwhelming coffee. Slight hint of bourbon. For 10.2% it drinks very nice.

Mouthfeel- Nice and chewy. Great mouthfeel without being too overwhelming going down. Surprisingly drinkable for a 10.2.

Overall- It's a great coffee stout, a very disappointing bourbon barrel stout and for $.50/oz, I want something thats aged in Bourbon...not something that has hints of it.

Pretty let down.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Release #1

Viscous liquid that is deep black color. Half inch of head forms and settles quickly to a thin cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left down the glass.

I get mostly coffee in the aroma. This does not change much even as the beer gets close to room temperature. Just subtle hints of roasted malt, chocolate, and the faintest trace of whiskey.

Coffee forward flavor as well. A little bit of roasted, burnt bitterness from the malt. Slight hint of chocolate. The barrel aging did not impart much flavor. Would of liked more. Alcohol is well hidden. Just slightly warming in the finish. A little unbalanced with the heavy coffee flavor.

Full bodied and close to perfect carbonation. Just a little too fizzy upfront.

The flavor was dominated too much by one element. For the cost of the bottle I wanted a much better executed stout. The barrel-aging needed to come out more. I would still give the next release another try.

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Recently acquired bottle of release #22, poured into a FW snifter. I have had other releases in years past in both bottles and on tap.

A: Pours the jet black as most BA stouts do but with dark brown/red when light passes through. Almost no head, and what little head dissipates rapidly.

S: Strong on the coffee and alcohol, very rich aromas and very pleasant though a little heavy on the alcohol.

T: I picked up the bottle from a fridge and let it warm up for about an hour, but it still felt pretty cold (40-45F probably) when I first had some and it smacks in the face with hot alcohol, very prominent whiskey after taste. Some of the earthy flavors of coffee and chocolate feel overwhelmed with alcohol. As it warmed up to 60F or so it was still too strong on the alcohol.

M: Too thin and floaty. It did not feel like a barrel aged stout, more like a porter.

O: I was kind of disappointed with release #22, I have had other releases (though I dont remember which ones) and I have remembered a thicker mouthfeel with no as prominent alcohol/whiskey.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter.

Opaque brown-tinged black with a 1/4" mocha head. Head recedes to a thin ring but comes back nicely with a swirl. Leaves some spotty lacing.

Initially the smell is dominated by a nice rich coffee bean scent. As it warms some bittersweet chocolate and whiskey barrel comes through. So pretty much just the adjuncts and barrel in the scent, still nice and rich even if it isn't too complex.

Rich coffee comes out first in the taste too, followed by whiskey barrel and a nice overbaked chocolate chip cookie note. It then fades nicely into some roasted/charred malt, milk chocolate, and somewhat sharp whiskey barrel, the different tastes blending well. More chocolate comes out as it warms. Finishes fairly bitter with some acidic coffee and slightly astringent oak (and hops possibly). Has a medium sweetness balanced by the whiskey and oak. The astringency lingers too long for me, particularly as it gets warmer.

The texture comes on medium bodied and syrupy but ends a little thin. It contributes unpleasantly to the astringency in the end.

Overall I enjoyed it, fairly complex with the notes blending well. Grading to style, it didn't hold up to other imperial stouts I liked more, but still very good. I think the adjuncts and (to a lesser extent) the whiskey barrel overpowered the base beer a little, and I didn't really like the astringent finish, but fairly rich and nicely balanced.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Review from notes. This was a batch 4 bottle.

Poured into a brandy snifter, the head is about 2 fingers, foamy tan. Fades with a moderate rate. Little lacing. The color is a seriously dark black. Pours with a bit of a viscosity to it as well

I would say that the aroma is dominated by coffee. Don't get me wrong, it's a pleasant aroma, but the coffee might be a little too much in this case. Anyways, the aromas at play here are tons of coffee, like I just ground up some nice dark roast beans (reminds me of Sumatra), then behind that are some big notes of fudge and dark chocolate, some rich roasted malts, smokiness or along with possible hints of vanilla. I wish I were detecting some more bourbon (and all the nuances that come with it), but sadly, I am not.

The taste is, again, dominated by coffee. I get a moderately strong dark roast black coffee taste along with notes of fudge, syrupy dark chocolate, roasted malts, smoke, char, and ash (though not necessarily bad). Again, I wish I could say I'm getting notes of bourbon or any of the flavors that come along with it, but I simply don't taste it.

The consistency is rich and velvety, the carbonation is medium, the body is full and almost syrupy, and the finish is a bit lingering and more wet than dry.

Overall this beer was nice but I wouldn't say I was too impressed with it. In fact I was more let down than anything at the fact that I couldn't really detect hints of barrel aging. The fact that this beer advertises bourbon barrel aging and doesn't evidence it sucks. What this is is a decent coffee stout. In fact, when I think of coffee stouts, it's up there with some of the nicer ones I've had the pleasure of having. But when I consider this as a barrel aged stout (with added qualities like being brewed with cocoa nibs or with coffee beans) it's somewhat lacking.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

22 oz bottle. $11.40 from Pints O'Plenty.

Appearance: Pitch black. Good looking tan colored head with surprisingly goog retention. Nice looking spotty lacing.

Smell: Strong coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Caramel, vanilla, a hint of smoke, and a bit of leather.

Taste: Its on the bitter-roasty side, and a bit of heat and bitterness from the whiskey barrels accentuates this. Residual sweetness from the malt and the sweeter cocoa and vanilla flavors balance it somewhat, but this one stays a bit on the harsh side due to roasty bitterness and alcohol burn. There is nice complexity of flavors, but its out of balance at this stage of its life.

Mouthfeel: The body if the beer is nice and big, but is cut and thinned by the hot alcohol. The burn steals what would otherwise be a big, soft, fullmouthfeel. Still pretty good though.

Overall: I think this beer needs some time to mellow and meld. There are lots of nice flavors that I think will come together nicely. I wish I had one to age. This beer is probably better than my review numbers indicate.

3.81/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

10oz poured into a tulip glass at Tipsy Cow in Madison, WI today, 3/25/2014.

App- dark black opaque body, one finger mocha head with decent retention. Not much lacing.

Smell- lots of bitter dark toast coffee, some milk chocolate sweetness from the malts. Nice and very coffee forward stout.

Flavour- solid, more heavy on the milk chocolates but the coffee bitterness takes a step back compared to the nose. Some bitter dark chocolate with a coffee forward aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- medium bodied on the thicker side, good carbonation. Otherwise standard imperial coffee stout. Bitter coffee finish.

Overall- decent coffee imperial stout that doesn't make me go crazy. But this isn't a bad option to pick up at the store if you're craving a pick me up and a throw me down bro simultaneously.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Batch #18, October 2013, 12% ABV

I agree with others below that this was like a coffee stout and not much else. I didn't get any barrel characteristics and it tasted like a cup of black coffee with a shot of scotch poured in. Almost no sweetness and very little complexity. This has nothing on BCBCS or KBS. Founders regular Breakfast Stout is even more enjoyable than this and its too bad because I had high expectations.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

Pour is extremely dark brown, almost black, with a small amount of tight light brown head. Nose is quite big, tons of very clean coffee with a faint roast and rich malt backbone. Taste is also strong coffee, clean and virtually no acrid flavor whatsoever. The roast is light and there is a nice malt backbone of caramel and rich fudge. Body is quite full with a strong carbonation and soft palate. Finish has some lingering roast and some scorched barrel with notes of whiskey booziness intermingling down the throat.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Batch #23...22 oz shelf turd from Woody's west.

Black with an oily surface and plenty of legs that muck up my snifter something proper.

Very coffee forward on the nose....heavily roasted with lots of tar and char. A big coffee stout here, but not pulling barrel or cocoa.

Taste is much the same with some cocoa and bitter chocolate through the middle before a long lingering punch of extra strong black coffee.

As a big coffee stout, this is pretty good. As a beer that I anticipated to have a nice barrel presence and a shelf barrel bomber at that, I honestly can't say for sure that this beer ever saw a barrel. What's confusing, a perhaps a bit deceptive, is that early vintage listings show barrel aging, but then the barrel designation goes missing. Yet, the bottle still claims it. Is this actually a barrel aged stout? I'm not convinced.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from Whole Foods in DC. From notes.

A - Black pour with one finger of tan head that faded to a cap fast. Mild visible carbonation. Spatterings of lace and a half finger of retention.

S - big boozy dark fruit and barrel notes when poured. Big dark fruit and wood, coffee, nice milk chocolate.

T - Dark fruit, whiskey, wood, mild coffee, lot's of barrel, dry cocoa powder, roast, more chocolate. Bottom of the bottle provides more chocolate, wood, and whiskey.

M - Mild carbonation, full body, very dry woody finish.

O/D - A little odd. The coffee and chocolate were a bit subdued. Left me wanting more from this beer. Complex and nice all things considered. Barrel took over a touch too much.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a dark chocolate brown color with a one finger mocha head that quickly settles into a lasting ring. Spotty lacing left behind.

Roasted malt aroma with a very strong coffee bean and dark chocolate presence along with a well integrated barrel character. Deep roasted gourmet coffee, dark chocolate, toast and oatmeal complimented by toasted oak. Subtle booze/whiskey in the nose.

Medium bodied with some tight carbonation and a very dry, roasted malt presence that dominates the flavor, lingering into a dry finish. Slightly acrid, heavily roasted coffee bean and bitter dark chocolate notes along with some toffee and oatmeal. Barrel character is most prominent toward the finish with dry, toasted oak complimenting the roasted malt profile and faint boozy whiskey sweetness providing warmth in the finish. Whiskey notes are there but subtle, allowing the other flavors to come through. As it warms the richness from the cocoa and dark malts shine but it's still a bit strong in the roast department for my liking.

3.86/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. capped bottle (Release #1) into a snifter glass.

A vigorous pour yields a 1 1/2-finger tan-colored head that fades over the course of a couple minutes to a thick, clumpy dusting and thick foam ring. The body is a nice near black with no traces of color when held to light. Some decent lacing can be seen throughout consumption.

A subdued whiskey (almost like well liquor) aroma is the first and strongest character of the nose. Some baker's chocolate and roasted coffee beans aromas are also there but take a little digging to find.

Dark and bittersweet chocolate, freshly roasted coffee beans, concentrated espresso, and just a touch of dark fruit (black cherry?) all hit the tongue at first sip. As the beer is swallowed, dark and milk chocolate flavors really come out along with more espresso. Just a hint of bourbon-like alcohol warmth is noticed in the back of the throat. A nice black coffee aftertaste settles in between sips.

Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer isn't as creamy as it is silky. The body is a bit on the light side for an 11.7% ABV Imperial Stout, which helps to keep this beer from becoming overly sticky and syrupy (which it is neither). The carbonation is almost unnoticeable but is definitely doing a fantastic job in the background. This beer really slides over the tongue smoothly while coating it completely.

3.86/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch #13. Tulip glass.

A: Pours black with a medium-dark brown cap of head which fizzles out pretty quickly, leaving a thin ring and some on the surface. No lacing and so-so retention.

S: An inviting, medium roast coffee in the forefront, a spot on match of Kopi Luwak, with some deep cocoa and charred dark malt. Big flavors that nevertheless manage to display balance.

T: Charred coffee, very dark chocolate, and just a hint of oak. I think the dark chocolate is a bit overwhelming, kind of like chocolate with a high percentage of cacao—just not that pleasing. A little boozy with moderate alcohol burn.

M: Round, full body and light carbonation. Very smooth and viscous.

O: Decent enough, has a nice aroma but the flavor is a bit one dimensional and too heavy on the dark cocoa and alcohol. The barrel treatment barely comes through.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

One finger tan head, black body, nice lace.

Nose is coffee grounds, and rich ones, too. But pretty much nothing else.

*Huge* coffee taste. Some bitter cocoa, subdued bourbon, decently balanced, on the bitter side.

Rich and thickly textured.

A stout that's both rich and dry... rare. Incredibly coffee heavy. I can only wonder what aging would do.

Batch #8, reviewed 12/30/12

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A - pours almost black, poured pretty cold, so a small amount of head forms and dissipates to a ring and some whisps. Lightens a little on the edges when held to the light. Second pour after warming a little doesn't produce much more in the way of head.

S - Coffee forward and coffee dominates throughout. Also some vanilla and a little bit of the bourbon whiskey. Some oak-y barrel as well. Petty nice,if not a little thin.

T - COFFEE. This is almost a coffee bomb. Medium roast coffee dominates the whole show. It's good, near great, but the coffee dominates. There are notes of vanilla and bourbon, as well as some roasty elements as well. There is some hop bitterness to finish. Can't quite decide whether I don't like it or if I really like it. At first I found it a little bit of a turn off, but I find it keeps me wanting another sip. Nice element I suppose.

M - above average. Low carbonation, thick. No complaints here.

O - I would definitely buy this again. I put it in the like it but don't absolutely love it. The interplay between the coffee dominance and the hop bittering at the end was interesting. I like coffee beers, and this one was very enjoyable.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A finger of bubbly tan head on the pour which was present on the edges of the glass while drinking. Above average active carbonation for the style. Pours and sit pitch black.

Smell: Coffee, lots of coffee hit the nose right away. The coffee has a medium roasted aroma that mixes well with the silky cocoa nibs. Light oak and mossy hops are picked up underneath everything else. Barrel character has a light touch of spices on the back end.

Taste: Milk chocolate and vanilla sweetness greets the drinker. Robust coffee grounds integrate well with the silky chocolate on the front. Roasted malt picks up on the back end. Slight touch of alcohol and barrel character on the back end but is very light.

Mouthfeel: Rich coffee and chocolate texture graces the palate throughout. Carbonation fits the beer.

Overall: Definitely a little disappointed here, especially after how much I loved the Imperial Stout from the Exponential Series. This beer is so coffee forward that it stifles everything else going on. And where is the barrel character? Despite those two things this is still a really good stout. Looking forward to sitting on the second bottle I have for a good long while and seeing what happens.

3.88/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Batch #20. SLC # 1442. into a snifter.

Pours a pitch black with a big creamy beige head. The smell is a massive coffee bomb that hits you as soon as you crack open the bottle. I mean massive. taste is also HUGE on coffee and that basically overwhelms any other flavors here. Now im a fan of coffee..but this is even too much for me. Full bodied, creamy feel, ABV undetectable.

Overall fresh this is just a coffee bomb. I got 2 bottles so i will rereview this a year from now to give it time to mellow out.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

APPEARANCE

Hey, this a stout here. It's dark, and it's viscus. It had a smidge of a khaki head that went away fast. Only a little bubbles crept up the glass. What else can you say about this Big Bad Baptist?
SMELL

Coffee dominates the nose at first. It's followed up by a nice amount of bitter dark chocolate. After awhile, the whiskey comes through and brings a tinge of alcohol, but it doesn't smell boozey. There's a little bit of bread notes a well as some slight raisin and dark fruits. It's definitely heavy on the coffee, but isn't completely overpowered by it.

TASTE

Like the nose, coffee dominates the palette. The first sip was almost all coffee. Subsequent tastes brought in the dark chocolate in a big way. The whisky is present, and comes through toward the end. There's a lingering sweetness toward the end as well, which brightens the chocolate character. The bitterness is also high, from the hops, coffee, and bitter chocolate. There's a little liquoroce after taste. This isn't as boozy as expected, but it does have a little heat as the beer warms in the class.

MOUTHFEEL

This has got some definite body. It's pretty big on residual sugars, and it's not the easiest drinker. It has a slighlty dry finish, but it isn't smooth per se. The carbonation is medium, and only slighty foams up in the mouth. It's a good example of a "meatier" Imperial Stout.

OVERALL

This is a tasty beer! It's not as polished as other similar beers (Founders KBS, for example) but it's still a good brew. It could stand a little age on it to smooth out, but it's very nice fresh. The name implies that perhaps omeone was sending a message in the land of Mormons, but the massage I'm getting is that this is good beer.

Cheers.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

the girlfriend surprised me with two bottles of release #1. poured from a bomber to a snifter.

a- looks completely black to me. khaki colored head doesnt rise too high, but its 11.7 %, so I didnt expect a ton of head.

s- tons of coffee grounds on the nose and some bittersweet chocolate. just a hint of oak and whiskey.

t- again with tons of coffee, but the chocolate comes out way more. just a light tingle of whiskey and oak at the end. nice flavors but seems to lack a little of that complex heavy punch that i expect from a huge imperial stout

m- a tad light for the style. flavors linger on the palate nicely, but lacks the heavy thick feel of a great imperial stout. abv is hidden nicely though, which is a nice plus.

overall, I had mixed feelings on this brew. the coffee and chocolate flavors were great, but the whiskey and barrel again didnt seem to come out much. it was also a little light texture-wise. if offered again, I would definately have some, but I dont know if i would put in the extra effort to find this somewhat rare beer.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bomber of batch 56. Look is dark of course. Smell is tons of coffee. Taste follows, plus a bit of bourbon and typical stout elements. Feel brings a nice boozy burn. Not as over the top as other BBA stouts, and maybe that is a good thing. I didn't really love it, but as I rated it I couldn't find anywhere to knock it too much

3.91/5  rDev -9.3%

Release #7.

A: velvet pour. Inky brownish black in color with soft cocoa cream cap. Looks sumptuous.

S: the nose suggests dark fruits and coffee. Whiffs of oak and whiskey can be noted as well. Not to involved overall. Not as big as I was planning.

T: sipping unlocks whiskey soaked coffee beans, bitter cocoa, ripe currants, and burnt oak. To me, the collection of flavors struggle to meld well. Not that it is bad, it's just a little lackluster. The tail end of each sip is occupied with whiskey and then burnt/charcoal bitters. Warming helps a little and brings a nice smoothness, helps round out the flavors a little.

M: smooth with moderate to heavy body. Standard for the style.

O: enjoyable and worth the trying. I will reach for others when spending/considering $12.99 for a bottle. Epic is fairly new to the market here in Michigan and this is my first Epic brew. Overall, it is nothing near "epic" in character, rather it is just shy of a "great" beer.

Big Bad Baptist from Epic Brewing Company