Big Bad Baptist - Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.80% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

One Big Bad Imperial Stout with Cocoa nibs and Coffee nibs.

http://www.epicbrewing.com/the-bee ... rial-stout

ABV varies by batch
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Bad Baptist Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev -23.4%

A - Very dark with just a hint of red around the edges. Creamy medium-dark head that falls slowly.

S - Smells like a coffee roasters place. not like a cup of coffee, but like the actual roast. Hint of chocolate and malts in the mix. After a few moments there is a vanilla and alcohol scent. (I actually did not know this was a whickey barrelled beer until just now)

T - Not as good as the scent. Seems a bit confused. Instead of the coffee, chocolate and barrel ageing mixing, they seem to each be trying to stand on their own. it is like different parts of the mouthful have different flavors.

M - Thin, but leaves a little coating. Mild alcohol tingle in throat. Timgle on sides of tongue.

O - Very close. There is just something about the flavor palate that is odd. it is like this brew is fighting itself.

3.35/5  rDev -23%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Release #22 (brewed 8/7/13... now I remember that I meant to wait another week for its birthday!) into a snifter at fridge temp, allowed to warm.

Look: thick, dark brown with almost no head and low carbonation.

Smell: not good. There's something that might be coffee, but there's also a very strange vegetal (green bell pepper) note, and a strong harsh chemical/metallic note—it's what I imagine battery acid might smell like. As it warms, chocolate comes through a bit more; I never get more than the faintest hint of barrel.

Taste: coffee, roast, chocolate, with a bite reminiscent of peppers. If I didn't know better, I'd think this had been aged on chiles. I don't like too much spirits presence in barrel-aged stuff, but I'm not getting anything here. Needs more barrel.

Feel: pretty thick mouthfeel, not especially dry, fairly well-carbonated (but fine for the style).

Overall: I had one of these fresh, but didn't take notes; my memory is that I liked it better then. This is okay, but I'd rate it behind something like (the admittedly very solid) Stone Espresso IRS. With more barrel presence and less of those slight off-notes, it could be very good, but as it is, it's merely okay.

3.4/5  rDev -21.8%

Never have seen this one around my area, so when I saw a bottle at Peabody's in Boone, I snagged it right up! Once I got home, I found out my local store had some cases in as well. Oh well.

22oz bottle. Batch #8 (Sept. '12 release). Poured into my brand new Hardywood snifter.

This beer just hesitantly glugs out of the bottle. This is an über thick coal black beer. Sits in the glass nicely. A small mocha head rests atop. Great spotty lace left behind, reminding me of what was. The aroma just smacks of fresh coffee. Big roasted coffee bean scent, chocolate powder, some booze quality. Really a nice inviting aroma.

Wonderful creamy feel that just envelopes the palate like a warm blanket. Subtle carbonation never forces itself. Smooth finish. This is one of the heavier beers I've had in quite some time. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. Did I mention the coffee? This is one of the most potent coffee-forward beers I have ever had. This would wake up a dead man. Huge roasted flavors abound. Subtle sweetness of cocoa nibs and chocolate chips. Mild oak-like character gives it s a slight dry aftertaste. The whiskey isn't as prominent as I expected. I had hoped for more of a bourbon kick, but with this batch, there is none. This sort of muddles out at the end, and just finishes with more coffee.

I'm not sure what I think of this. I guess I expected a more balanced barreled beer, but this is a one-trick pony: a straight up coffee beer. I normally like that style, but this just seemed too much overkill. I don't think I'd revisit this batch again. Glad I tried it, but holy crap was this rich.

3.41/5  rDev -21.6%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/9/12
*From notes

-- Bomber split with my Pops, which is always a pleasure. --

A: Dark, velvety brown. A generous pour yields a dense 1.5 finger head. Creamy, thick lacing follows as the head begins to fall.

S: Really green. Overly so, in fact. It's freshly harvest coffee beans to the max. It's all a bit much for me.

T: Not a whole lot of bourbon here, sadly. Really, when they say "coffee infused", they aren't kidding. Sure, there's some chocolate here, but that green coffee vibe simply can't be shaken. In your face doesn't begin to describe it.

M: Now that's more like it. One of the thicker ADIS's I've encountered the last few weeks. Creamy like heavy whipping cream.

O: Where's the balance here? The coffee is untamed and out of control. I don't think aging will do much good, as there's not enough whiskey booze to keep it in check. Not a bad beer, but there's certainly better and more readily available Imperial Stouts on the market.

3.43/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours out like old motor oil with a fairly brown head about three-fingers, with good retention, and some nice lacing on the cup.

Smell is burnt malts to be sure, some coffee is pretty there, and I really don't get much else from the nose.

Taste is burnt malts, lots of coffee (way more than in the nose), maybe a tiny bit of chocolate but coffee and burnt malts are the prominent things here. Chocolate is WAY in the background and I would not have noticed it except I read nibs on the bottle and tried hard to find them. This is pretty fresh but really not much chocolate at all.

Mouthfeel is semi-thick, not too thick for the style. Not a bad thing but just not thick for what I would expect.

Overall this is an OK beer. I can't taste ANY whisky as this is supposed to be aged in whiskey barrels. Just does not taste like a barrel aged stout. The coffee makes this stout nice and is the highlight here. I always try to drink a coffee stout soon as coffee fades quick and maybe if it was aged more flavor would have came out from it but this is just not anything like a BA Stout. It's not a bad stout by any means but just not anything special that I would buy again. I heard some hype for this and am just not getting it.

3.48/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Batch #45
Started out ok - but as it got warmer the taste diminished greatly and the alcohol took over.

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

22oz bottle. Pours dark brown black with a smallish light brown head that goes to a thin film and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet fudgy chocolate and a little coffee. Boozy bourbon comes out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet fudgy chocolate with a lot of roast to balance and some slightly acidic roasted coffee. As I drink more, the burnt, ashy, char roast dominates. Some vanilla and bourbon come out too. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and a little watery.

Overall, almost really good, but I end up thinking ashy cigarettes and day old coffee.

Release #20.
Poured from a bomber into a tulip on 06.17.14.

A: 1/3 finger tan head that quickly recedes. Midnight black body with no red in the glass.

S: Strong coffee with a chocolate base.

T: Coffee is dominant. A tiny bit of vanilla is subtle. Fig and pepper come out on the finish when it's warm.

M: Creamy. Soda-level bubbles on the tongue. I don't usually care much about mouthfeel, but this one is too bubbly.

O: The coffee was too strong in this one. It overpowered everything else. The vanilla was barely there to the point that it seemed like a stout that hadn't been aged in barrels. There was also a massive alcohol burn which is understandable at 10.5% ABV, but other BB stouts have hidden the alcohol much better. I'm aging another one that hopefully turns out better. I wouldn't buy this one again, as it is.

Rating: C-, 70/100.