Fermentation Without Representation - Epic Brewing Company

Fermentation Without RepresentationFermentation Without Representation

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Our first ever collaborative beer has all the familiar flavors of the season, but done with Epic style. To a base of strong, roasty, and chocolaty porter, we add 200 pounds of real pumpkin per batch, five spices and whole Madagascar vanilla beans. As you pour this deeply ruby brown beer, you’re greeted by the aroma of fresh cut squash,followed by rich chocolate. The flavor starts sweet with marshmallow,vanilla, and some pumpkin pie, then yields to a coffee roast and darkchocolate dryness. This beer is a great introduction for curious drinkers and a special holiday treat for fans of the style.

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 11-06-2011)
3.3/5  rDev -13.4%

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.25/3.5/4.25/4/4
#18
Body comes across a bit murky and more a darker shade of the creamy brown of the root beer in a rootbeer float after the ice cream is gone. But, like, almost no ice cream was there in the first place. Ruddy in the light around the edges. A good finger worth of creamy brown head -- still there as I fumble over words and check my voicemail, there's still about half a finger left. Great lacing as well.

I get almost no pumpkin whatsoever on the nose. This isn't the end of the world: pumpkin beers are alright by me, but I'm not a huge fan or anything, it just would seem that a pumpkin beer would have more, you know, pumpking to it. I get mostly kind of an ashy creamy unpronounced sweet. As I let it warm, the sweet coalesces into something akin to good chocolate with some generalized earthy notes that must be the great gourd itself. It continues to gently slope in this direction as the molecules start to move and stretch a little more.

The tongue offers significantly more going on than the aroma suggested. Whether this is good or not depends on what flavours you like. I happen to enjoy a cool creamy chocolate juxtaposed with bitter coffee, with just enough nutmeg and cinnamon to draw out the mild pumpkin underneath it all. Char and almost a milkstout like creamy sweetness prevail: a combination I really really like. Creamy and smoothe going down.
OH! I found the pumpkin! It was faint faint faint at the best, until I burped (eh, get over it). That was almost completely pumpkin meat, oddly enough, and after that I got more of the pumpkin in the finish and aftertaste each sip.

Ignoring the pumpkin aspect of this, I really like the milky charry chocolatey coffee and nutmeg that this offers. The pumpkin isn't pronounced enough for me to really think of this as pumpkin beer, or to distract from the above mentioned flavours that just so happen to be right up my alley.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

Release 19. Poured from the bomber in to a stout/porter glass and allowed to warm considerably. Aroma of pumpkin with lesser notes of chocolate and roasty malts. Taste is the same, with some warming alcohol from the 8%+ abv. Medum-heavy mouthfeel that sticks around. By the end of the bomber, I was wishing I could try the base porter without the pumpkin spices.

4.04/5  rDev +6%

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my DC Brau can glass from a 22 ounce bottle sent by MNishCT77.

Pours thick syrup brown with a hint of rouge and a thin with a thin light-tan head that leaves foamy-cream sheets of lacing, despite falling rather fast. Maintained well by carbonation that's not visible through the mire.

The nose fits well with the stock description above...raw vegetal notes of squash sprayed with a fine resin jump up early. Vanilla dusted onto charred malt comes next. Cinnamon and nutmeg then usher in the chocolate, whose milky and grassy lightness are reflected in the taste profile. It's a complex bouquet that, for me, is the best part of the experience. With warmth, the milk chocolate and nutmeg notes strengthen in a pleasing way.

I had hoped for a spicier start to sips that would open up the pumpkin flavor early, but the namesake vegetable really only plays a role in the warm aftertaste. For me, it's more butternut squash-like early and through the mid taste. The back third is bitter, but not tied to the chocolate, so I get a milkier smoothness and fresh herbs from hops that create the most interesting part of the flavor profile. They don't last long, though. It ends sharply upturned and a bitter, smoked cucurbits lingers.

In the mouth it's almost clean when cold, and develops some chew with more gulps and warming. There's a thin veil of anesthetic buzz from essential oils that stick to the lips. Overall, it's got medium heft with a good match of carbonation, but there's nothing thrilling about how it feels...and it starts to become a drying epoxy about halfway through a glass.

This is a good beer to pair with fruit, like apples or pears...or even a peach would be good, I'd venture--if you can get one during the season of its release. I'll admit that I have rarely been thrilled with pumpkin beers, so my lukewarm perspective may be slanted. But, it's a creative brew, not cloying or out of balance, so I'll take it as an autumn accompaniment to football season.

Fermentation Without Representation from Epic Brewing Company