Fermentation Without Representation - Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 11-06-2011

Our first ever collaborative beer has all the familiar flavors of the season, but done with Epic style. To a base of strong, roasty, and chocolaty porter, we add 200 pounds of real pumpkin per batch, five spices and whole Madagascar vanilla beans. As you pour this deeply ruby brown beer, you’re greeted by the aroma of fresh cut squash,followed by rich chocolate. The flavor starts sweet with marshmallow,vanilla, and some pumpkin pie, then yields to a coffee roast and darkchocolate dryness. This beer is a great introduction for curious drinkers and a special holiday treat for fans of the style.
3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

3.86/5  rDev +1%

Poured into an Elysian snifter. Pours a very dark mahogany brown with a thin light tan head that dissipates to patches and a thin ring around the glass. Aroma of toasted malt, roasted pumpkin, hints of vanilla and dark dried fruit. Flavor of light toasted malt, mild pumpkin, burnt toast, light vanilla, some nuttiness; finishes with charred, non-aromatic coffee and bitterning hops. Medium bodied. An interesting take on a pumpkin beer that leans more towards a toasty porter than most, but does not have the body or heavy malt of a pumpkin porter. A nice change of pace on the boundary of the two styles. It will not knock Elysian's Dark of the Moon or Great Pumpkin off their thrones, but is a pleasant alternative.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.26/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance-Almost black, dark brown with a maroon tint on the rims with a cream color foam.

Smell-Coffee predominates. Mocha. Very little pumpkin in the nose.

Taste-Coffee on the front and end of the palate. Middle is mainly vanilla. Very nice progression.

Mouthfeel-Big porter. Good long finish that stays for quite a while.

Overall-This is a great beer. My issue with it is the fact that there is almost zero pumpkin in it. With last years brew the pumpkin with subtle but it was definitely there, a great fall weather, Thanksgiving beer. This year this is just straight porter with very little pumpkin to speak of. One of the things I like most about Epic is that their fruit beers aren't usually overpowering, the beer still holds centerstage and the fruit just adds another layer. Don't get me wrong, this is a really good beer. It's just not a pumpkin beer.

3.12/5  rDev -18.3%

taste like all the other pumpkin ales I've had...at least the ones I didn't drain pour....
has the same aroma and taste as your typical pumpkin beer, nothing different or special. I'm starting to think these for the most part all taste the same with the exception of the really gross ones which I pour.

a: perfect, dark brown, cant see threw unless held to the light. has an excellent light khaki brown foamy head
s: burnt malts or barley and some typical nutmeggy/cinnamoness.not getting the vanilla or marshmellowness...? smells the same as a half dozen others I've had except a little more burnt.
taste: meh. same boring pumpkin ale.
o.a. nothing special.

3.07/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Release #9; 8.1% abv. 22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours black with light brown hues; fluffy off-white head that sticks around and leaves very sticky lacing. The aromas have subtle hints of cinnamon, anise, vanilla, and nutmeg. The chocolate is much more noticeable in the flavors. There's more spices and ton of malts that blend with the dark chocolates. More anise in the mix. The flavors are also very roasty and it finishes pretty dry. The mouthfeel is very creamy and fluffy, but it seems to have virtually no carbonation. I'm not saying the lack of carbonation is a bad thing, I'm just saying. Alcohol goes unnoticed. It's pretty easy to drink.

I'm pretty bummed to find out that Release #9 was bottled in July of 2012. This beer started hitting shelves in my area, so I assumed it was a fresh version. I'm not sure what the deal is with that. I would assume this beer would be tastier while fresh. It's not bad, but I was really hoping it would be more vibrant. I think I'm being nice too.

3.89/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Epic's Fermentation Without Representation last month for 12.49 at The Lager Mill. I have only had a couple beers from Epic, but so far I think they are a pretty solid brewery and I have been wanting to try something from DC Brau for a long time and so far this collaboration is the closest I have come to something from them. It's pretty late for a Pumpkin beer, but better late than never, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Fall Vintage release #3. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, the bright orange color goes with the season and it makes it stick out a little. It poured a nice dark brown color that took on a great dark ruby hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of medium dark tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a good amount of sticky lacing behind. This is pretty good looking beer, the color is really nice and so is the head and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of medium sweetness followed by some sweet and roasted malts that impart a light roasty and pretty chocolate like aroma with dark chocolate seeming to come out the most with some aromas similar to a tootsie roll. Up next come some pumpkin pie spices, a light vanilla aroma and an authentic pumpkin aroma. The aroma is good and very unique, it honestly smells like i just stuck my head in a bag of Halloween candy and took a deep breath, I like it and I can't stop smelling it, it's very unique.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some roasted malts that impart some roasted, dark grainy, and some nice chocolate flavors that leans more towards dark chocolate with some cocoa in the background. Up next comes a lighter amount of pumpkin pie spices that aren't overpowering with some mild vanilla. Up next comes some natural tasting pumpkin that has a real nice meaty pumpkin flavor to it. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a little more sweetness with a cocoa and meaty pumpkin like aftertaste with a little bit of spices in the background. This is a good tasting beer the flavors are nicely balanced and pretty unique even for a pumpkin beer.

M- Pretty smooth, a little creamy, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is ok, but it seems a little watery,

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a pretty good example of the style, the pumpkin flavors worked nicely with the porter base and the balance was also pretty nice. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth and not too filling, with some nice flavors that held my attention, I could drink a whole bottle of this but more than that and I think it would start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty good, it was so unique how it smelled like a bag of mixed Halloween candy. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it just felt a little too watery for the style. I would buy a bottle of this again next year, I would like to try it fresh, it's expensive but I got 20% off since it was older stock, but I think $12 is too much for this beer, I would recommend this to anyone who likes pumpkin beers. All in all I was happy with this beer, everything worked well together and the spices weren't overdone. So far this is up there as one of the better Pumpkin Ale's I have had. Good job guys, this was a nice collaboration and I will be on the search for more brews from both brewerys, keep up the good work.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

Dark chestnut color in the chalice. Decent foam and lively on the tongue.

The spice is pleasant rather than flamboyant. Cloves and a little cinnamon. Starts out sweet with warm malt flavors but changes to a dry finish. A substantial burnt sugar and bark taste. The squash shows up as a yammy quality. Ends on a bitter note, so it does have some hoppy underpinnings. Quite drinkable. Also it's a nice strength-- stronger than average but not a ten percenter. This would be one to watch for during the holidays.

From the 22 oz bottle bought at Bine and Vine in San Diego. This is Batch #8 and 7.7% ABV.

Fermentation Without Representation from Epic Brewing Company